PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain Something to Me?

IAG
11-25-2013, 08:36 AM
There are many more people with knowledge here than me. I am honestly confused with something and was hoping to get the "facts" of the situation.

The talk of the Bills moving to Toronto sadness me. Upon Mr. Wilson's death, it seems there will be a movement afoot to lift the Bills out of the country.

However, this is my question...aren't the Bills okayed for renovations at RWS? Is that official? I thought it was and if so, are the taxpayers going to cough up money to make renovations to the stadium only to have the team leave? What is the lease agreement terms?

Is there anything legally that keeps the Bills here? I would be devastated to see the Bills leave for Toronto.

Help me out with what the facts are for this. Thank you.

IAG
11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
I just read they have a lease until 2022...almost ironclad untill 2019 with a 400 million buyout if new ownership wanted to bounce the team.

This could really happen.

better days
11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
The Bills have a 10 year lease but can leave after 7 years because there is a one year window where they won't have to pay much of a penalty to leave.

We will all have to wait to see what happens, but Bob Rich has said he & the Knox family will do everything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Skooby
11-25-2013, 08:49 AM
LaCa..... basically said the Bills aren't moving.

jamze132
11-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Hopefully when we get a new owner, we can play 8 games per year in Buffalo!

GingerP
11-25-2013, 08:55 AM
In a related note, Jon Bon Jovi wants to buy the team:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24593997/livin-prayer-jon-bon-jovi-wants-be-next

better days
11-25-2013, 08:57 AM
In a related note, Jon Bon Jovi wants to buy the team:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24593997/livin-prayer-jon-bon-jovi-wants-be-next

There is already a thread about that.

OpIv37
11-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Well, when Ralph dies, the team will be sold because Ralph's family has already said they have no interest in keeping it once they inherit it (and probably couldn't afford the millions in taxes if they wanted to keep it).

Ralph is 94 and the recent news about his health has not been good, so the team changing hands is inevitable.

There are people out there who would like to buy the Bills and move them to LA or Toronto or somewhere else that's seen as greener pastures. There are others who want to buy the team to make sure they stay put.

Which way it goes remains to be seen, but it's going to get complicated. The Biils need a new stadium after the lease expires, so the willingness of the state and county to work with the team on a stadium could have a lot to do with whether they stay or go. Of course, there aren't exactly any NFL quality stadiums that are unoccupied at the moment, so Toronto or LA or any other city that might try to take the team would need to build a new one as well.

This is going to be an interesting story and hopefully it's one that ends well for us.

Don't Panic
11-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't think the Bills move... I think the NFL truly wants to see football stay in the SO/WNY region, but I would be shocked to see them stay AND go back to 8 home games. In fact, my guess (which is all it is) would be a 6/2 split. If that carries through, it will be less than ideal, but better to have 6 games a year than zero.

I'd like to see the NFL go 17 games with a neutral site game for each team. Some cities (LA, San Antonio, London, Toronto) could host two or three games a year in that model. That would give Toronto NFL product while allowing the Bills to keep their 8 home games. Its not like they cheer for us anyway.

better days
11-25-2013, 09:56 AM
I don't think the Bills move... I think the NFL truly wants to see football stay in the SO/WNY region, but I would be shocked to see them stay AND go back to 8 home games. In fact, my guess (which is all it is) would be a 6/2 split. If that carries through, it will be less than ideal, but better to have 6 games a year than zero.

I'd like to see the NFL go 17 games with a neutral site game for each team. Some cities (LA, San Antonio, London, Toronto) could host two or three games a year in that model. That would give Toronto NFL product while allowing the Bills to keep their 8 home games. Its not like they cheer for us anyway.

Well, London is getting two games, maybe 3 games going forward.

Toronto is likely to get two games as well. (I hope that is all they get)

Mexico City seems to be forgotten, but they have hosted the NFL & drew better crowds than London.

I would not be surprised to see them get more games if the violence dies down in Mexico.

MikeInRoch
11-25-2013, 10:17 AM
The only reason the NFL would want to stay in WNY is money. If it was monetarily beneficial to leave, they'd be fine with it. Not pleasant, but that's the reality.

IAG
11-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Yes he did. That is why I am asking.

OpIv37
11-25-2013, 10:44 AM

He doesn't know that- no one does. With the stadium lease, it's safe to say they aren't moving until at least 2019 and most likely not until 2022. That's pretty much set in stone. After that, anything can happen. It really depends on who owns the team at that point and how cooperative the state and county are regarding a new stadium.

Mr. Pink
11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
The Bills won't be going anywhere as long as Ralph is alive.

After that is anyone's guess as any billionaire or group could own the team.

better days
11-25-2013, 11:07 AM
The Bills won't be going anywhere as long as Ralph is alive.

After that is anyone's guess as any billionaire or group could own the team.

We don't know anything about what will happen after Ralph dies.

I hope he becomes the oldest man alive.

TacklingDummy
11-25-2013, 11:31 AM
With not knowing what the future will bring, makes sinking money into the stadium stupid.

Sinking money into the stadium is stupid regardless.

Build new.

The last buffalo fan
11-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Well, London is getting two games, maybe 3 games going forward.

Toronto is likely to get two games as well. (I hope that is all they get)

Mexico City seems to be forgotten, but they have hosted the NFL & drew better crowds than London.

I would not be surprised to see them get more games if the violence dies down in Mexico.
You would be surprised that we are not o we dont have as much violence as the news (tv and papers) said. I bet that there are more violence in most US cities than here in Mexico. Still, bring the Bills to Mexico ...... but only for exhibition games! Keep the Bills in Buffalo! :pray:

better days
11-25-2013, 01:28 PM
You would be surprised that we are not o we dont have as much violence as the news (tv and papers) said. I bet that there are more violence in most US cities than here in Mexico. Still, bring the Bills to Mexico ...... but only for exhibition games! Keep the Bills in Buffalo! :pray:

How about a Bills Pats* game........................& have a cartel take care of Brady.

Mace
11-25-2013, 07:35 PM
We have some rich people willing to band together, some ex players also, even a Pegula who has mentioned an interest, so I wouldn't count Buffalo out yet.
We have enough investment potential to create a group that can bid against pretty much anyone unless Gates, Buffet and Paul McCartney band together to counter Pegula, Bon Jovi, Rich, Golisano, Jim Kelly, Keith Radford, La Nova and the guy who runs Lloyd's Taco Truck. If they want to play hardball, throw in Jeremy Jacobs and put in a call to Warren Buffet and beg him for a hand since he owns the News and seems a reasonable sort.

Think I heard the Murph tell a caller today, they aren't going anywhere because of the buyout cost. I thought that was pretty shortsighted, there's no guarantee 400 million is prohibitive to someone who can get 500 million in incentives, or just plain has a lot of money to burn, though.

The lease includes commissioning an advisory board to study building a new stadium down the road, which would be wasted money if they weren't serious, and you know Littman is about wasting money.

Could they leave ? Sure with enough money thrown into it. Will they ? I really don't think so. I may well be an idiot but I think there is an unpublicized plan in place.