PDA

View Full Version : Nolan wants players to talk to one another while out on the ice

DetDannyWilliams
11-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Nolan has noticed that he’s working with a quieter bunch and is making an effort to change that.
“We’ve talked about communication, talking down low. We’re a very quiet team. We don’t talk enough,” he said. “I’ve always said good communication eliminates duplication, so you’re not doing someone else’s job. We worked on that so hopefully we’ll get better as we go.” http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=23163&navid=DL|BUF|home

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 04:18 PM
just what the **** was rolston doing while coaching??

they dont communicate?

Downinfloflo
11-25-2013, 04:47 PM
What are the players doing not talking to each other??

I don't see how this is Rolston's fault, I would blame the teams captains first.

OpIv37
11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Uh, yeah. When I went to a summer basketball came run by our town's HS basketball coaches, they taught us to talk to each other on the first day. We always finished the day playing 5 on 5 and the coaches would be furious if it was quiet on the court.

A couple years later I started playing roller hockey. Same thing: the coach got on us about communicating with each other from the very first practice.

I got to go to Jim Kelly camp for free one year. The football coaches taught us the same thing: tell each other when the ball is in the air, whether it's thrown short or long, whether he has help, etc.

Point is, this is basic ****. It's the essence of team sports and anyone who has played team sports at even the most elementary level knows it. When I'd play pickup hoops or hockey games with guys I didn't even know, we'd be communicating with each other the whole time we played.

WTF is this team doing?

coastal
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM
The player I want to see a turn around with is Cody Hodgson.

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
im no pro, but when i play sports, i communicate. in softball, i yell "UP" on pop ups, and tell the field where to shift, hold it, ect. i can tell from a swing where the batter is trying to go, so i yell to shift.

as a goalie in hockey, i yell. alot. even when my team is on the PP, i creep up to the slot and yell where to go, when to shoot, ect. im sure it drives them nuts, but if i can see a lane and they pass it up, drives me nuts. and man if a dman pinches, i make sure a wing swings back to cover. im loud. and im always yelling.

coastal
11-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Goalies.... lol.

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 10:22 PM
What's your deal

IlluminatusUIUC
11-26-2013, 12:35 AM
If they are all yelling at each other on the ice, how are they supposed to hear my advice yelled from the upper deck?

coastal
11-26-2013, 06:31 AM
What's your deal
I'm not a goalie?

JATMtheJATM
11-26-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm not a goalie?

im being over sensitive.

OpIv37
11-26-2013, 07:47 AM
If they are all yelling at each other on the ice, how are they supposed to hear my advice yelled from the upper deck?

Your advice can't possibly be any worse than whatever advice they're using.

trapezeus
11-26-2013, 10:32 AM
perhaps its a function of so many young kids who 1, don't think their two cents are worth interupting vets and 2, they are so new and potentially outmatched that they don't even know what to say.

If the team had like 1 or two teenagers, then yeah, they can soak it in and see the way. but the team is so numerous with younglings. they are clearly over matched and that's what nolan is tasked to fix. Give them the tools of speak up and see who rises to the top.

SkateZilla
11-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Uh, yeah. When I went to a summer basketball came run by our town's HS basketball coaches, they taught us to talk to each other on the first day. We always finished the day playing 5 on 5 and the coaches would be furious if it was quiet on the court.

A couple years later I started playing roller hockey. Same thing: the coach got on us about communicating with each other from the very first practice.

I got to go to Jim Kelly camp for free one year. The football coaches taught us the same thing: tell each other when the ball is in the air, whether it's thrown short or long, whether he has help, etc.

Point is, this is basic ****. It's the essence of team sports and anyone who has played team sports at even the most elementary level knows it. When I'd play pickup hoops or hockey games with guys I didn't even know, we'd be communicating with each other the whole time we played.

WTF is this team doing?

He never tried turning off the lights?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Your advice can't possibly be any worse than whatever advice they're using.

It's usually on the order of "Hit somebody!" or "Shoot it already!"

So basically it's rock solid coaching for any situation.