PDA

View Full Version : Watching RGIII last night is just Painful

ghz in pittsburgh
11-26-2013, 01:34 PM
I was a little scared watching EJ in Heinz Field 3 weeks ago, afraid of him being rushing back too soon.

But watching RG III this season is just painful, especially in primetime like last night. The kid is obviously not ready to play this season from the physical standpoint. Everybody sees it; how Shanahan keeps putting RGIII out there every week is beyond me. He gave up 3 1st rounder for him - the Rams are going to have a high pick next year.

I know the coaches are under pressure to win. But this is a lose-lose proposition. Maybe he knew their defense is old (London Fletcher is still a key player for them?) and they have a limited window, but he's potentially ruining the career of one of the most dynamic player in NFL.

Sometimes the coach has to step in and make a tough decision. I was leery about Marrone kept trotting CJ out there but he finally made a decision of shutting him down a game or two. At this point, I'd not trade Marrone and his staff for Shanahan and his gang (though I'd be glad to do so with Gailey's crew). Marrone, as a HC, seems to be learning and improving as the season is moving on.

bdutton
11-26-2013, 01:46 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/824048115.gif?1385435747

I had a good chuckle when I saw that live.

stuckincincy
11-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I was a little scared watching EJ in Heinz Field 3 weeks ago, afraid of him being rushing back too soon.

But watching RG III this season is just painful, especially in primetime like last night. The kid is obviously not ready to play this season from the physical standpoint. Everybody sees it; how Shanahan keeps putting RGIII out there every week is beyond me. He gave up 3 1st rounder for him - the Rams are going to have a high pick next year.

I know the coaches are under pressure to win. But this is a lose-lose proposition. Maybe he knew their defense is old (London Fletcher is still a key player for them?) and they have a limited window, but he's potentially ruining the career of one of the most dynamic player in NFL.

Sometimes the coach has to step in and make a tough decision. I was leery about Marrone kept trotting CJ out there but he finally made a decision of shutting him down a game or two. At this point, I'd not trade Marrone and his staff for Shanahan and his gang (though I'd be glad to do so with Gailey's crew). Marrone, as a HC, seems to be learning and improving as the season is moving on.

Heads were scratched at the time, but WAS hedged their bets when they drafted Griffin and Cousins.

justasportsfan
11-26-2013, 01:58 PM
it's not painful to me watching Shanahan fail after he snobbed the bills

Pinkerton Security
11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Brooks on the 49ers came out and said what everyone has been thinking/saying - RGIII just isnt ready. Shouldnt even be playing. Watching him try to scramble on a gimpy leg, its so obvious he is lacking a lot of the explosion he had last year.

imbondz
11-26-2013, 02:16 PM
the Adrian Peterson effect

stuckincincy
11-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Brooks on the 49ers came out and said what everyone has been thinking/saying - RGIII just isnt ready. Shouldnt even be playing. Watching him try to scramble on a gimpy leg, its so obvious he is lacking a lot of the explosion he had last year.

I got to watch that game last year when he got hurt bad. What a dumb coaching decision...

Novacane
11-26-2013, 02:19 PM

We should be glad he snubbed the Bills.

TedMock
11-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I live in Redskins country, so I don't find their demise painful at all. One of the players I actually like is RG3, but he should've been pulled last night. Admittedly, I do get a little giddy like a school girl when the skins play poorly. I know OP moved to Ravens territory, but he lived down this way for some time. I'd be curious to hear how he feels about the local teams. If the Bills were 13-3 every year I probably wouldn't care as much. I still hate hearing about the skins, but I would be more tolerant if I didn't have to hear them speak of my team in a negative manner. I do enough of that on my own.

justasportsfan
11-26-2013, 03:12 PM
We should be glad he snubbed the Bills.

yup. Wasn't impressed with him without Elway

Scumbag College
11-26-2013, 03:17 PM
I tore my ACL in 2010 and the Dr. whom did my surgery used to work with the Cincinnati Bengals. He said that even a year after surgery NFL players have told him it "just doesn't feel like my knee." I really can't describe the feeling after surgery other than that. Guys that came back to form like Adrian Peterson are exceptions. Hopefully he can get it back next year...the guy was so much fun to watch his rookie season.

DynaPaul
11-26-2013, 03:37 PM
With a gimpy leg it just shows that all he is now is a subpar pocket passer.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Shanahan is the most brilliant coach in Denver Broncos history as long as John Elway was under center. However, the single worst decision of his career was not saving RGIII to fight another day. He ruined what was a promising qb's career in its infancy. I know, I know the NFL is a win now league but he had a backup that he took in the same draft as RGIII. RGIII should not have been brought back in after he was already gimpy.

TrEd FTW
11-26-2013, 04:06 PM
With a gimpy leg it just shows that all he is now is a subpar pocket passer.

It's hard to be a good pocket passer when you're running for your life on practically every pass attempt.

trapezeus
11-26-2013, 04:55 PM
shanahan lost a lot of his luster, and it doesn't help that his son isn't a genius either.

Skooby
11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
His son isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.

BillsImpossible
11-26-2013, 08:47 PM
That game put me to sleep quicker than a 12 pack and 6 Mighty Tacos.

Ever try to eat a Mighty Taco the next day while sober?

It's not easy to eat genetically modified soybean fake meat tacos without a lot of sauce.

The morning disaster blaster creating havoc on your toilet should be a sign.

Redskins suck.

That was gross, sorry.

stuckincincy
11-27-2013, 03:40 AM
That game put me to sleep quicker than a 12 pack and 6 Mighty Tacos. Ever try to eat a Mighty Taco the next day while sober? It's not easy to eat genetically modified soybean fake meat tacos without a lot of sauce. The morning disaster blaster creating havoc on your toilet should be a sign. Redskins suck. That was gross, sorry.

:cp:

jamze132
11-27-2013, 04:06 AM

be glad he did or we wouldn't have a 1st RD pick for the foreseeable future either.

DraftBoy
11-27-2013, 06:01 AM
RGIII needs to go on IR, not because of poor play or anything but because he doesn't trust his knee. This is opposite of what Derrick Rose did last year with the Bulls. He told the team he didn't trust his knee and didn't want to come back. He sat out all of last year despite tearing his ACL in the playoffs the year before. RGIII rushed back and wanted to play but clearly doesn't have it back yet. He needs to sit out and continue to rebuild strength and faith in his knee.

Granted Rose just tore the meniscus in his other knee a few nights ago and is now out for the remainder of the NBA season.

coastal
11-27-2013, 06:24 AM
What medical doctor cleared him to play... that's what I want to know.

stuckincincy
11-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Josef Mengele?

Jan Reimers
11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Shanahan is an arrogant POS whose only real success came with John Elway - one of the very best - at QB.

Other than that, his immense ego always overrides his miniscule intellect.

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Shanahan is an arrogant POS whose only real success came with John Elway - one of the very best - at QB.

Other than that, his immense ego always overrides his miniscule intellect.While I agree with this, Shanahan did OK, post Elway. He took teams with less than great QBs to the Playoffs four times usually running in to Peyton Manning and losing. He could plug and play almost any back and they would be successful, mostly due to his cut blocking scheme (which I found borderline dirty).

That said, he IS arrogant, but that's probably from being associated with Bill Walsh, George Seifert, Al Davis and Pat Bowlen. Oh, and John Elway himself. One of the most big headed pimps I ever had the displeasure to meet.

DraftBoy
11-27-2013, 07:31 AM

Multiple doctors, the injury is healed. He can physically play, that's not the issue right now.

ServoBillieves
11-27-2013, 07:36 AM
I tore my ACL in 2010 and the Dr. whom did my surgery used to work with the Cincinnati Bengals. He said that even a year after surgery NFL players have told him it "just doesn't feel like my knee." I really can't describe the feeling after surgery other than that. Guys that came back to form like Adrian Peterson are exceptions. Hopefully he can get it back next year...the guy was so much fun to watch his rookie season.

Tore my ACL, MCL, Meniscus, on a kickoff return... was terrible pain. It's been 9 years and my knee still doesn't "feel like my knee". I hope RGIII comes back strong and he's a blast to watch, but Cousins should be in if they are wanting to win this year. It all comes down to pain that can be tolerated and some can't do it. I'm not saying he can't, but forced in to action he could've had time to recover.

Historian
11-27-2013, 09:42 AM
yup. Wasn't impressed with him without Elway

His time in Oakland was terrible as well.

Night Train
11-27-2013, 10:08 AM
It was a stupid trade when it happened, giving up three #1 picks and a couple #2's for one guy. He has to carry your team, since your sacrificing quality depth at other positions. Many here hailed it as a great move when it happened. :rofl:

Now St. Louis is building something with all those picks and the Redskins are 3-8 and on the road to nowhere.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
It was a stupid trade when it happened, giving up three #1 picks and a couple #2's for one guy. He has to carry your team, since your sacrificing quality depth at other positions. Many here hailed it as a great move when it happened. :rofl:

Now St. Louis is building something with all those picks and the Redskins are 3-8 and on the road to nowhere.

Can't say it's stupid. It is a big gamble, and if it pays off, it pays off huge. History has lots of those success gambles, especially in military fare.

But to play the percentages, this is a losing cause. RGIII's case may just demonstrate that. He may be good, even great. But one injury can doom you just as much.

The RGIII trade and pick tells me Shanahan is not in for the long haul. He loaded it and shot it. Next year will be the 3rd year. Something tells me that if RGIII is showing again damaged and they have to rebuild the defense, it might be the end for Shanny in DC

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Can't say it's stupid. It is a big gamble, and if it pays off, it pays off huge. History has lots of those success gambles, especially in military fare.

But to play the percentages, this is a losing cause. RGIII's case may just demonstrate that. He may be good, even great. But one injury can doom you just as much.

The RGIII trade and pick tells me Shanahan is not in for the long haul. He loaded it and shot it. Next year will be the 3rd year. Something tells me that if RGIII is showing again damaged and they have to rebuild the defense, it might be the end for Shanny in DCWell, I think Snyder just made Shanahan an offer he couldn't refuse. I think after over 10 years of head coaching and a couple Super Bowls, most guys would be content to retire and enjoy the fruits. But, what is Shanny making? 10 million a year and his son has a job and is being groomed to follow in his footsteps.

I thought the RGIII trade was stupid from the getgo. The Redskins had a lot more holes to fill than just QB and Mikey mortgaged the farm to get a player that may or may not work out. Kinda reminded me of Ditka in New Orleans.

better days
11-27-2013, 02:28 PM

The RGIII trade and pick tells me Shanahan is not in for the long haul. He loaded it and shot it. Next year will be the 3rd year. Something tells me that if RGIII is showing again damaged and they have to rebuild the defense, it might be the end for Shanny in DC

History shows us blockbuster trades usually fail for the team giving up a lot for one player.

A blockbuster trade for Ricky Williams cost Ditka his job with the Saints & the RG III trade will most likely cost Shanahan his job with the Skins.

Many Bills fans wanted Shanny, but he chose the Skins.

At this point, I am happy he did that. I would rather look to the future with Marrone & EJ than Shanny & RG III.

JohnnyGold
11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
John Elway himself. One of the most big headed pimps I ever had the displeasure to meet.

care to elaborate?

i've heard the same from close friends about marino and phil mickelson.

BillsFever21
11-27-2013, 02:50 PM
I didn't want Shanahan back then and I still wouldn't want him now. He was overrated and after Elway retired his teams would bomb out at the end of every season. He was still living off the glory of Elway's last couple years.

RG3 is just as much to blame for his bad play though. He was cleared by Dr. James Andrews and RG3 was the one making a big deal about not being able to play during the preseason of all things. He has been nothing but a prima donna up to this point in his career. I'm not sure who is worse though him or his dad.

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
care to elaborate?

i've heard the same from close friends about marino and phil mickelson.I used to hang out at a convenience store that my buddy worked at. It also had a gun shop in the back, which was my reason for going there.

Anyway, Elway had a house close by and he would stop in to get gas from time to time. It was self serve, but the owner would have somebody pump it for him just because he was John Elway. He'd come in the store and act like he was royalty, treat the employees like they were dirt. The time I was there, he was evidently in a hurry and the cashier was having a problem with the register. He said "Hurry up dummy, I have to go". Almost made me want to go in the back and make use of their firearm stock.

better days
11-27-2013, 05:03 PM
care to elaborate?

i've heard the same from close friends about marino and phil mickelson.

I heard back in the day, Marino gave his OL Isotoner gloves as presents for Christmas.................which he got for free because he did commercials for them.

At that time Highly paid QB's were giving Rolex watches to their OL for Christmas.

And OL money was not that good back then.

Mace
11-27-2013, 08:14 PM
It was insane back then they kept him in on that wobbly knee. I don't think anyone watching it thought it made any sense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fans wanted Shanahans (they come as a set), Griffin, Allen, Haslett, and a free spending owner like Snider, so you're watching the sum total of what the Bills could have been, given the time of Gailey's "rebuilding" as well, and they've purposefully built a team with intent that has a worse record than us flying by the seat of our pants.

I feel bad for Griffin for last year, though he's sort of testing my sympathy at this point because it really looks like a chunk of it is his fault too this year.

I'm glad none of the aggravation is ours.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2013, 08:32 PM

And then when RGIII is healthy and confident in his knee again they'll be a playoff team.

Oddly enough on the QB health part...St Louis will go as far as their oft injured QB will take them. You may have a point in them building something if they take one of their two first rounders on a QB however if they don't, it won't matter what they're building since Kellen Clemons isn't gonna take any team anywhere.

Mace
11-27-2013, 08:35 PM
And then when RGIII is healthy and confident in his knee again they'll be a playoff team.

Good luck on that, Pink. They have way more problems than the QB.

pmoon6
11-28-2013, 04:17 AM

Oddly enough on the QB health part...St Louis will go as far as their oft injured QB will take them. You may have a point in them building something if they take one of their two first rounders on a QB however if they don't, it won't matter what they're building since Kellen Clemons isn't gonna take any team anywhere.Or maybe not. Either RGIII is not as good as advertised or it's still a team game.

better days
11-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Or maybe not. Either RGIII is not as good as advertised or it's still a team game.

And with 8 losses already, the Skins would need to win out just to get to 8-8.

They are not a playoff team this year even if RGIII plays lights out along with the entire team for the rest of the year.

I would be surprised if Shanny is not fired this off season. That's just how Danny boy rolls.

GvilleBills
11-28-2013, 07:54 AM
As douchy as Shanahan is, RGme is in a bed of his own making.

Fixxxer
11-28-2013, 08:07 AM

I think this was a wasted opportunity for the Shanahans to develop RGIII as a pocket passer, he's running the same offense in which he broke his knee, instead of putting him in a more traditional offense where he can learn the art of QBacking including mechanics, drops and progressions.

better days
11-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I think this was a wasted opportunity for the Shanahans to develop RGIII as a pocket passer, he's running the same offense in which he broke his knee, instead of putting him in a more traditional offense where he can learn the art of QBacking including mechanics, drops and progressions.

Well at this point, Russell Wilson who I wanted the Bills to draft, looks like a far better QB than RGIII & Kaepernick.

pmoon6
11-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Well at this point, Russell Wilson who I wanted the Bills to draft, looks like a far better QB than RGIII & Kaepernick.Wilson and Kaepernick are just benefiting from the talent on their respective teams. Do you think either of those would have got the Bills to the playoffs last year? I don't, we were weak defensively and could be run on and our receiver corp was not that good. That means less touches for the QB and limited weapons.

better days
11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Wilson and Kaepernick are just benefiting from the talent on their respective teams. Do you think either of those would have got the Bills to the playoffs last year? I don't, we were weak defensively and could be run on and our receiver corp was not that good. That means less touches for the QB and limited weapons.

The Bills were only a few plays away from the playoffs last year.

Fitz threw ints at the end of games the Bills could have won, so yes I think Wilson would have led the Bills to the playoffs last year.

GvilleBills
11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I used to hang out at a convenience store that my buddy worked at. It also had a gun shop in the back, which was my reason for going there.

Anyway, Elway had a house close by and he would stop in to get gas from time to time. It was self serve, but the owner would have somebody pump it for him just because he was John Elway. He'd come in the store and act like he was royalty, treat the employees like they were dirt. The time I was there, he was evidently in a hurry and the cashier was having a problem with the register. He said "Hurry up dummy, I have to go". Almost made me want to go in the back and make use of their firearm stock.

Just putting in some perspective here...but you might be an ******* too if you had all those giant horse teeth jammed into your skull.
:D

GvilleBills
11-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Wilson and Kaepernick are just benefiting from the talent on their respective teams. Do you think either of those would have got the Bills to the playoffs last year? I don't, we were weak defensively and could be run on and our receiver corp was not that good. That means less touches for the QB and limited weapons.
Not to mention that Wilson would've never seen the field. Gailey had his Fitz goggles firmly in place.

GvilleBills
11-28-2013, 08:56 AM
The Bills were only a few plays away from the playoffs last year.

Fitz threw ints at the end of games the Bills could have won, so yes I think Wilson would have led the Bills to the playoffs last year.
Wilson would've never got the chance under Gailey that he got in Seattle.

pmoon6
11-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Just putting in some perspective here...but you might be an ******* too if you had all those giant horse teeth jammed into your skull.
:DYeah, he's a perfect GM for the Broncos. As you said, he looks like one.

GvilleBills
11-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah, he's a perfect GM for the Broncos. As you said, he looks like one.

Its why he had such a great kinship with Shannon Sharpe.

Mr. Pink
11-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Or maybe not. Either RGIII is not as good as advertised or it's still a team game.

It's a QB driven game.

Look at the Packers without Rodgers. 0-3-1 coming into today without him. 5-2 with him.

By your team game logic, explain how they're 0-3-1 without Rodgers, after all, the rest of the team is the same.

The Jokeman
11-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Well at this point, Russell Wilson who I wanted the Bills to draft, looks like a far better QB than RGIII & Kaepernick.

and the Seahawks look like a better team because they were also able to nab Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in the first two rounds before selecting Wilson. I won't deny Russell's played well but he also has a better defense to play with not to mention offensive line/running game. Granted the 49ers and Redskins have talent but just not as much as the Seahawks. The telling thing will be how good Seattle will be now that they've lost a few CBs.

The Jokeman
11-28-2013, 12:08 PM
It's a QB driven game.

Look at the Packers without Rodgers. 0-3-1 coming into today without him. 5-2 with him.

By your team game logic, explain how they're 0-3-1 without Rodgers, after all, the rest of the team is the same.

I'll agree in part of what you said as if the Packers had a proven veteran QB they probably be a lot better without Rodgers. Yet look at what they've trotted out there since Aaron got hurt. I'd venture to say that all of their backups have been no better than what the Bills have behind Manuel. Yet if they had someone like Jason Campbell or even that McKnown guy with the Bears they might be better than 0-3-1 without Rodgers.

better days
11-29-2013, 08:43 AM
and the Seahawks look like a better team because they were also able to nab Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in the first two rounds before selecting Wilson. I won't deny Russell's played well but he also has a better defense to play with not to mention offensive line/running game. Granted the 49ers and Redskins have talent but just not as much as the Seahawks. The telling thing will be how good Seattle will be now that they've lost a few CBs.

Yes, the Seahawks have a GOOD defense. But so do the Bills. It helps a defense when the QB does not give the other team short fields to play on.

pmoon6
11-29-2013, 09:23 AM
It's a QB driven game.

By your team game logic, explain how they're 0-3-1 without Rodgers, after all, the rest of the team is the same.I agree the game is now QB driven. To it's detriment.

Too bad a lot of fans like to see records broken and lots of points. So much so that the changed the rules and made it a different game. You can cheer for that if you like, but if I didn't have 50 years invested in The Buffalo Bills, I wouldn't watch another NFL game. You might as well just start training your daughters to throw a pass because in a few years the QB will be wearing a red jersey with a flag on his hip.

Personally, if I were a defensive player in today's game, my mission would be to take the QB out, penalty and fine be damned.

Mouldsie
12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
If the Redskins dont want RG3 I will gladly take him. He can throw from the pocket and has one of the best deep balls in the game when he can set his feet

The Jokeman
12-01-2013, 12:25 PM
If the Redskins dont want RG3 I will gladly take him. He can throw from the pocket and has one of the best deep balls in the game when he can set his feet

The Redskins aren't going to give RG3 especially with all they gave up to get him, most teams feel it's easier to replace a HC than a "franchise" QB. Now this could change in about three more seasons but hopefully by then EJ Manuel will be fully developed and the Bills won't need anyone else at QB.

Mouldsie
12-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I know that, I just think its funny how much he "sucks" now according to many

The Jokeman
12-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I know that, I just think its funny how much he "sucks" now according to many

To me it's obvious he's not the same player he was preinjury and/or just going through a sophomore slump but as the old adage goes time will tell.