PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian institution will continue

ckg927
11-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Hockey Night in Canada will remain on the CBC for at least the next 4 years.

But here's the bigger story: Rogers Communications gets the English-language Canadian rights to the NHL for the next 12 seasons. And that shuts TSN out of the NHL picture(for live games, at least)for about a decade.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/cbc-partners-with-rogers-in-landmark-nhl-rights-deal-1.2440326?cid=

SpikedLemonade
11-26-2013, 02:51 PM
CBC will be broadcasting HNIC for the next 4 years but it will be produced by Rogers rather than CBC and all profits go to Rogers. ALL HNIC decisions including which games are broadcast and which HNIC on air talent remains are in the hands of Rogers. CBC just becomes one more channel on Saturday nights and for the SCFs for Rogers to broadcast on.

This is just a transition phase so the NHL and Rogers were not seen as killing off HNIC thus pissing off many Canadians.

The truth is that in 4 years HNIC will be dead and so too will be NHL hockey on CBC.

This is what fiscally conservative Canadians wanted. No more funds to CBC. As such, CBC could not outbid Rogers for the rights.

JATMtheJATM
11-26-2013, 02:52 PM
this kills TSN. also means the hockey night in canada song could be up for bids again soon.

ckg927
11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
this kills TSN. also means the hockey night in canada song could be up for bids again soon.

I think HNIC will keep Canadian Gold; THAT song was good from the first time I listened to it.

As far as TSN, they'll adapt.

I should note too that over on HF Boards, there's quite a bit of hand-wringing over the fact that Rogers is fully in charge of things. More than one poster has stated-not in as many words-that this will force Rogers to upgrade their facilities.

coastal
11-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Fiscally conservative groups want to take over a Canadian institution?

does anything good come out of conservatism?

JATMtheJATM
11-27-2013, 06:42 AM
TSN is trouble. if they were smart, the would buy the rights to televise CHL games regionally and nationally.

CHL is huge business up there. fanbases are even more rabid.