X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

NFL IPO on The NYSE? I Want To Buy Stock In The Bills First

If The Packers can do it, why can't Bills fans? Imagine how many shares of stock this team could sell to their loyal customers? That would make a great Christmas present. I hate double standards. Why are the Green Bay Packers the only team that is allowed to be owned by their fans?

And why doesn't the NFL itself go public with an IPO? In 2004 Google went public with an Initial Public Offering of $85 per share. Today, Google is trading for more than $1,063 per share. Maybe the NFL doesn't want to go public because they don't want to open up their books? Vegas might have a slight say in the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers

"The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States."

http://www.packers.com/community/shareholders.html

Green Bay Packers Inc., has been a publicly owned, nonprofit corporation since Aug. 18, 1923, when original articles of incorporation were filed with Wisconsin’s secretary of state.
    One of the more remarkable business stories in American history, the Green Bay Packers organization has been kept viable by its shareholders — its unselfish fans. Even more incredible, the Packers have survived and thrived during the current era, permeated by free agency and the NFL salary cap.
    Fans have supported the team financially through five stock sales: 1923, 1935, 1950, 1997 and 2011.
    Today, 364,122 people (representing 5,014,545 shares) are owners of the iconic franchise.

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: NFL IPO on The NYSE? I Want To Buy Stock In The Bills First

Dream, dream dream dream.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

Rofl

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        If The Packers can do it, why can't Bills fans? Imagine how many shares of stock this team could sell to their loyal customers? That would make a great Christmas present. I hate double standards. Why are the Green Bay Packers the only team that is allowed to be owned by their fans?

And why doesn't the NFL itself go public with an IPO? In 2004 Google went public with an Initial Public Offering of $85 per share. Today, Google is trading for more than $1,063 per share. Maybe the NFL doesn't want to go public because they don't want to open up their books? Vegas might have a slight say in the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers

"The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States."

http://www.packers.com/community/shareholders.html

Green Bay Packers Inc., has been a publicly owned, nonprofit corporation since Aug. 18, 1923, when original articles of incorporation were filed with Wisconsin’s secretary of state.
        One of the more remarkable business stories in American history, the Green Bay Packers organization has been kept viable by its shareholders — its unselfish fans. Even more incredible, the Packers have survived and thrived during the current era, permeated by free agency and the NFL salary cap.
        Fans have supported the team financially through five stock sales: 1923, 1935, 1950, 1997 and 2011.
        Today, 364,122 people (representing 5,014,545 shares) are owners of the iconic franchise.

Because it's specifically not allowed anymore and the Packers got grandfathered in.

Teams use PSLs to get easy money out of fans now since they can't sell stock.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

We've been over this: the NFL changed the rules after the Packers went public. Now, every team must have a principal owner who controls 40% of the team (Iirc- it may be a majority). If the league wants to move a team, they want the financial interests controlled by an individual or a small group. There is too much at stake to leave it in the hands of a city full of rabid fans.

The Packers were grandfathered in.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Apr 2024

I find his posts more and more amusing.

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              This.

League bylaws strictly prohibit corporate or public ownership. Teams have to be privately owned, other than the Packers who were public when the league was formed.

There actually was talk of the league forcing the Packers to find a private owner, after their last "stock" offering where they raised millions for worthless pieces of paper. The other teams got their noses out of joint because they couldn't do the same. Never went anywhere, though.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                We've been over this: the NFL changed the rules after the Packers went public. Now, every team must have a principal owner who controls 40% of the team (Iirc- it may be a majority). If the league wants to move a team, they want the financial interests controlled by an individual or a small group. There is too much at stake to leave it in the hands of a city full of rabid fans.

Yep. While it would be awesome, thems the breaks.

A Google search could've replaced this thread.
                Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                  • Dec 2008

This question has been asked and answered many times over the years.

Happy Thanksgiving evyone!!

Comment

• K-Gun
                    Deal with it
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post
                    This question has been asked and answered many times over the years.

Happy Thanksgiving evyone!!
                    but why can't those rules be re-written? Its not written in stone.
                    [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by K-Gun View Post
                      Because the NFL has no interest in doing so.

Comment

• Raptor
                        • Jan 2009

I love how this exact thread pops up at least twice a year

Comment

• Raptor
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by K-Gun View Post
                          it actually is, the leverage of a possible move is how most new stadiums get built in the NFL. Zero chance NFL gives that up

Comment

• sukie
                            • Sep 2012

Question... If the Packers can do it why not Buffalo? (Or has this been gone over hundreds of times already?)

Comment

• LVGrown
                              Vegas Growed
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by GvilleBills View Post
                              Yep. While it would be awesome, thems the breaks.

A Google search could've replaced this thread.
                              I don't think there has been a topic on this discussion board that could not have been answered by google. We may as well close these boards ... after 10 years of visiting them I don't think there's anything on here that hasn't been beaten to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍