• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Rick Dudley is out of the running for GM

The Buffalo Sabres contacted the Montreal Canadiens about speaking with Rick Dudley for their general manager search but instead, the veteran hockey man has agreed to a new extension to stay put with the Habs as assistant GM.

Originally posted by ESPN
    Rick Dudley sticking with Habs

Updated: November 27, 2013, 7:15 PM ET

By Pierre LeBrun | ESPN.com

The Buffalo Sabres contacted the Montreal Canadiens about speaking with Rick Dudley for their general manager search, but instead the veteran hockey man has agreed to a contract extension to stay with the Habs as assistant GM.

"The Sabres called for permission and I appreciate that, I'm flattered," Dudley told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "And Berg [Montreal GM Marc Bergevin] said he would never stand in my way, which I appreciate, too.

"But he said, 'I've got something for you to think about.' He presented me with an option, and you know what, I came to Montreal because of Berg, and I'll stay in Montreal because of Berg. It's been a lot of fun. If you're doing something you enjoy, why would you change it?"

Dudley said Bergevin phoned the Sabres on Wednesday to inform them he would stay with the Canadiens. In return, Dudley got a nice extension.

"It got extended by a lot," said Dudley, who turns 65 in January. "It probably means it'll be my last deal. This is a great organization. I'd like to help build one more [champion] like the Blackhawks and Lightning. I think it can happen with this organization, and if it does, it would be wonderful."

Dudley also wanted to thank Sabres executive Pat LaFontaine for reaching out.

"I think Patty LaFontaine will do the right things in Buffalo and I really appreciate them calling," Dudley said. "But we started something here with Montreal and I want to be around for when it comes to fruition."

While the Sabres' pursuit of Dudley hit a dead end, the club was able to add former Edmonton Oilers executive Kevin Prendergast to its scouting staff.

The former Oilers assistant GM will aid Sabres assistant general manager Kevin Devine with amateur and pro scouting.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Rick Dudley is out of the running for GM

We were used for him to get an extension, feel like a whore much?

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

Well I'm not sure he was first on their list. And even though he's a former Sabre, how did he really do in Atlanta as GM?

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

is that why ray and duff grew big fu man chu or w/e moustaches in honor of dudley? i never bothered to figure out what that duo-facial hair thing was but it had to be something. brian duff has like two hatchets or something at the end of his moustache crazy
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
          Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
          is that why ray and duff grew big fu man chu or w/e moustaches in honor of dudley? i never bothered to figure out what that duo-facial hair thing was but it had to be something. brian duff has like two hatchets or something at the end of his moustache crazy
          MOVEMBER

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

thats great but what do the ladies do

i propose beavember
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
            X