PDA

View Full Version : What strengths do the Bills need to build on to make a push for the playoffs?

K-Gun
11-29-2013, 10:58 AM
On offense: I want to see the running game become more dominant. A healthier Fred and CJ, and a more settled OL should be a huge key to winning.

I want to see EJ take strikes deep down field early and often. I want to seem him keep his poise and confidence back there. He can't play scared, and if he starts to Hackett needs to make adjustments to help him out - more screens, get the run game going ect.

On defense: I want to see them get after the qb even more! Make that dude scared every time he has to drop back and throw the ball. I don't care if its a rookie or Tom Brady, the D has to punish that dude.

We also need to keep the turnovers rolling. More pressure + more turnovers = success.

I think this team has some real strengths, and those strengths have to form the team's identity down the stretch.

We are a team that pounds the ball down the opposing teams throat, can take it to the house on any given snap, and will punish you with the deep ball to keep you honest.

On the other side, we're a nasty qb sacking machine, we play with high intensity and will make you turn the ball over.

The future is now.

stuckincincy
11-29-2013, 12:31 PM
They need opponents to contract yellow fever.

K-Gun
11-29-2013, 12:32 PM
They need opponents to contract yellow fever.

this is the kind of positive thinking I was expecting! Go Bills! Give the Falcons Yellow Fever!

stuckincincy
11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
this is the kind of positive thinking I was expecting! Go Bills! Give the Falcons Yellow Fever!

Falcs are the 1st club to be eliminated from the playoffs according to:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24292396/week-13-game-rankings-broncos-chiefs-leads-post-turkey-day-lineup

Or, they might hope for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

K-Gun
11-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Or, they might hope for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

Watching that right now, I'm not sure that was a TD. The guy who lateraled 3rd, at the 50 yard line looks like his knee was down. No Instant Replay in 82 though.

I don't think the Bills need to hope for miracles to win games, they have the ability to look within and make it happen.

Meathead
11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
he knocked that band geek down on purpose

stuckincincy
11-29-2013, 01:02 PM
he knocked that band geek down on purpose

That's ok - Stanford would award a corpse a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.

http://www.gradeinflation.com/

SquishDaFish
11-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Running game needs to get back on track

stuckincincy
11-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Running game needs to get back on track

No holds barred.

EDS
11-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Let's start with winning two in a row . . .

Mahdi
11-29-2013, 02:14 PM
They need to strengthen the OL. Our run game is bad and that was our strength last year. LG is a major issue and I won't be surprised to see Unga get some snaps this week.

We also need to tighten up our run D. They can't keep relying on only KW and MD to play all 3 downs every series. Branch should get more reps as a DT and use Bryant on the outside on some early downs throughout the game.

Our screen game needs to return. This will keep other DL from attacking EJ. Tampa and Miami in particular have aggressive fronts and we need to be able to keep them honest. Atlanta also has a fast front 7 and we can hurt them with an effect screen game.

YardRat
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
They need to improve on their weaknesses more than their strengths. The talent just isn't there on the offensive line to improve the running game (and it wouldn't be even if they re-signed Levitre). The defense needs to quit giving up big plays and get stouter against the run. Offensively, both the players and Hackett need to step up and quit sputtering except for occasional spurts of effectiveness.

Night Train
11-29-2013, 05:12 PM
They need to add several more players to help their playoff push in 2014.

This...is a rebuilding year !

Mace
11-29-2013, 09:34 PM
In the spirit of the post, the only two real strengths I think the Bills have are defensive aggression and Fred Jackson, so I'd say the defense needs to play ferociously to generate turnovers, and they need to be able to pound the ball with the run to prime them for quick pass attempts with Johnson starting to catch everything near him to nickel and dime defenses into gasping and wheezing as the pace speeds up to spring Spiller or use the speed the receivers are supposed to have.

I don't think it will be this year though. Next one, they might have potential strengths developing in a poised QB with a good arm if he stays healthy, and fast receivers if the ball gets there and they can catch it when it does. This is a training year as mentioned, but strikes me it was probably good prep if people are still thinking playoffs are a maybe in December with all things considered.

clumping platelets
11-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Special teams and running game improve we can make the playoffs......I for one want them to because it would be a great learning experience for the younger players

justasportsfan
11-29-2013, 11:06 PM
they need to learn how to play well and win during away games.

better days
11-30-2013, 07:25 AM
they need to learn how to play well and win during away games.

I want to see the Bills win an AWAY game Sunday.

coastal
11-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Goodwin, Dareues and Byrd need to perform at a Pro Bowl level.

Saratoga Slim
11-30-2013, 06:58 PM
In the spirit of the post, the only two real strengths I think the Bills have are defensive aggression and Fred Jackson, so I'd say the defense needs to play ferociously to generate turnovers, and they need to be able to pound the ball with the run to prime them for quick pass attempts with Johnson starting to catch everything near him to nickel and dime defenses into gasping and wheezing as the pace speeds up to spring Spiller or use the speed the receivers are supposed to have.

I don't think it will be this year though. Next one, they might have potential strengths developing in a poised QB with a good arm if he stays healthy, and fast receivers if the ball gets there and they can catch it when it does. This is a training year as mentioned, but strikes me it was probably good prep if people are still thinking playoffs are a maybe in December with all things considered.

Not to take anything away from the fact that there are a lot of reasons to finally feel good about where things are going, but the only reason we're in playoff contention at 4-7 is the rest of the AFC is also terrible.

Mace
11-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Not to take anything away from the fact that there are a lot of reasons to finally feel good about where things are going, but the only reason we're in playoff contention at 4-7 is the rest of the AFC is also terrible.

Oh, I agree, but it's a good time for the AFC to be terrible and for us not to be Houston or Jacksonville, you have to admit.

I don't think it's going anywhere, but it's kind of a rush to still be in playoff contention in December even if I don't think it's going anywhere this particular year. The AFC is not going to jump ahead by leaps and bounds next year, many teams are on the decline side, but maybe we are on the upside for once and in 12 months we might all be pretty gleeful about it.

I figure they'll get eliminated soon, I'm not "glass full", but if you really look at it hard, this year was not so terrible as expected. No one had a right to expect instant glory, but it's been fun if aggravating. Lot of reasons to look forward to next year for once.