PDA

View Full Version : LaFontaine and Nolan are 100 percent going about this rebuild correctly

DetDannyWilliams
12-01-2013, 12:26 PM
great write up from HF Boards by gallagt01 I take no credit for this what-so-ever
Disclaimer: I didn't think this fit into the "embrace the rebuild" tank thread as it applies more to LaFontaine's and Nolan's approach to the rebuild and not necessarily tanking. Move if deemed necessary.

LaFontaine and Nolan are 100 percent going about this rebuild correctly.

It's not just the very obvious roster moves in returning younger players to their respective junior/AHL clubs. It's about utilizing the players currently in Buffalo the right way and creating a culture of accountability and hard work versus an inauspicious one.

-Putting talents like Ristolainen, Zadorov and Larsson in their lower leagues wasn't a popular decision, but it was the right one for their development curve. NHL-ready or not, there is no reason to force these guys into bad situations in Buffalo at their age, even if they were playing well or "part of the problem."

-Calling up Adam and McNabb in favor of Ristolainen and Larsson may not have been a popular decision either, but again, it was the right one nonetheless. The former two have paid their dues on the farm and have grown into their bodies; LaFontaine recognized that it's probably sink or swim time for both of them. They don't necessarily make the team better (or worse), but it was the next step for their development. Meanwhile, Ristolainen and Larsson have both looked very good (and produced) in Rochester.

-The new regime's handling of Grigorenko has been excellent. He's responded to it by playing well. It's not an ideal situation for Mikhail right now but they're at least putting him in a position to succeed and gain some confidence.

-Nolan's use of the young players has been near flawless. The top six has been taken over by "veteran" players, allowing Girgensons, Adam, Grigorenko and even Ennis a chance to succeed in sheltered offensive roles on the third line (where all are at their best at this stage of their career).

-Along the same lines, he's using Pysyk (and McNabb, at that) in a sheltered role defensively. No longer is he being thrown to the wolves and skating 22-plus minutes a night alongside Ehrhoff. A byproduct of swapping Ristolainen for McNabb (and calling up Sulzer) is that it is allowing Pysyk to develop nicely on the bottom pair.

-Losing Tropp may have hurt in the eyes of some fans, but it looks to me like the Sabres, a team in transition, saw a player in D'Agostini that can play a top-six role for this team right now and had to risk losing Tropp to acquire him. He's by no means a great player but he gives Buffalo another veteran option for its top two lines and helps to keep guys like Foligno, Flynn, Girgensons, Ennis and Adam in positions to succeed in lesser roles.

-Nolan's approach to coaching is perfect for these guys on an interim basis.

Just a few observations. TL;DR: LaFontaine and Nolan are taking the right approach -- not the Edmontonian one that Darcy and Rolson were taking -- and I think it deserves some praise. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1549299

SpikedLemonade
12-01-2013, 02:06 PM
The play-offs are still 5 years away.

This team is half a decade away from competing with the Bruins, Habs, Leafs, Sens, Red Wings and Lightening.

I appreciate you all want hope, but you are forgetting that those teams will improve as well.

JATMtheJATM
12-01-2013, 02:48 PM
the red wings have aging stars and no future stars waiting in the wings (no pun). its mostly lower end talent. very little to no top end talent in the pipeline. but they have an abundance of it.

the bruins and the leafs are in the lower half of the league in terms of prospects.

5 years down the road, the atlantic landscape will look very different. the lightning have the top rated prospect pool, sabres second. florida is high as well, and the wings are 9th despite the lack of potential star power in their pipeline.

montreal is 11th.

black N yellow
12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
even if it actually DOES take 5 years..I'm content with it happening with people that know what they are doing running the show. 5 years from now with Darcy probably would have been another rebuild..or one thats continually rehashing itself.

Typ0
12-02-2013, 08:15 AM
No NHL team is 5 years away from a playoff berth. Winning a series may be a different story.

BuffaloRedleg
12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
100% is a pretty ******* bold statement to make but sure why not