PDA

View Full Version : What could we get for SJ?

Novacane
12-01-2013, 06:46 PM
I'd say a 4th is the best we can hope for.

WagonCircler
12-01-2013, 06:54 PM
A fried bologna sandwich.

black N yellow
12-01-2013, 06:55 PM
a pair of extra-grip gloves.

SpikedLemonade
12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
A used tampon from a fat azz Polish bowling woman. May be two tampons.

Night Train
12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Turnover relief.

gr8slayer
12-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Eh, he's still relatively young, has a pretty cap-friendly contract, I could see him fetching a 3rd. They'd be stupid to trade him away though.

imbondz
12-01-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd have zero issues with us getting rid of him. don't see anything better than a 4th tho.

lightningbolt444
12-01-2013, 07:00 PM
I would say a 3rd maybe a 2nd. I honestly wouldnt mind the move. It creates a hole but I really dont think he is as good as many think. Our best game by our WRs was a game when Stevie was OUT.

Novacane
12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Eh, he's still relatively young, has a pretty cap-friendly contract, I could see him fetching a 3rd. They'd be stupid to trade him away though.

Why? It's not just today. He's a good WR but not a game changer unless it's in a negative way like today.

ParanoidAndroid
12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
He's choked a few games out at the end now. He better be pissed.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-02-2013, 05:26 AM
you know what sucks? During the game i was singing Stevies praises saying how he has matured and stopped throwing away games and I was happy to see how he's developed...

Oops.

DynaPaul
12-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Nothing, he's done.

YardRat
12-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Some guys have 'it', some don't. Stevie doesn't. It's unfortunate because he does have a unique skill set, and is fun to watch. He's had several opportunities to be a god in Buffalo, and blown most of them.

I really don't understand why these vets (SJ, Chandler) can't grasp the concept of wrapping up the ball after a catch at critical points during a game. It should be second nature for them by now.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-02-2013, 05:43 AM
Some guys have 'it', some don't. Stevie doesn't. It's unfortunate because he does have a unique skill set, and is fun to watch. He's had several opportunities to be a god in Buffalo, and blown most of them.

I really don't understand why these vets (SJ, Chandler) can't grasp the concept of wrapping up the ball after a catch at critical points during a game. It should be second nature for them by now.

especially chandler, seeing he JUST saw the same thing happen to stevie 2 minutes earlier

GingerP
12-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Why? It's not just today. He's a good WR but not a game changer unless it's in a negative way like today.

Right now, he is the leading receiver on the team in terms of catches and yards. I understand he has made some pretty big mistakes, but if you dump him you lose a guy who has been very productive over the last few years. It makes no sense just to dump him, you need to replace his production. In the last 3 and a half years, he has 283 catches, 3,649 yards and 26 TD. Who makes that up if you get rid of him?

Historian
12-02-2013, 06:47 AM
An english and math tutor for Leodis?

Typ0
12-02-2013, 07:58 AM
I still don't get it. "the guy made a good play" is such crap. Defenders are always swiping at the ball you let them get it away from you. All he needed to do was fall down and we win the game dammit. WTF??????? This must be fixed....stevie Johnson is the anti christ. I used to think it was Hitler but now I know Nostradamus was referring to Stevie Johnson. We need to just start calling him Johnson and not Stevie or Mr. Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc

jdaltroy5
12-02-2013, 08:17 AM
I would keep him on the roster, I just wouldn't throw it to him in the 4th quarter.

It's a good thing Keuchly interfered with him at the end of the game against Carolina.

He would've either dropped it or volleyed it up for a Carolina defender.

trapezeus
12-02-2013, 08:38 AM
probably could get a 1st for him if we don't fumble the phone at the most critical moment of the deal or just drop the phone.

seriously though, i think you get nothing for him. he's expensive enough that teams know that you are going to cut him if you are talking trading him. so no offers are coming. Therefore, you have to be willing to say, "he's hurt us enough times that he isn't worth it at all." I also think if the bills end up 4-12/5-11, they have to be high enough for a big body receiver ala megatron type. that's a number 1 guy. the freakish WR built like a TE but runs like a Wr.

And i think Woods looks like the reliable number 2. that's money to spend on Byrd or a FA for the LB core to solidfy the D with more pass rusher's.

Bill Cody
12-02-2013, 08:45 AM
probably could get a 1st for him if we don't fumble the phone at the most critical moment of the deal or just drop the phone.

He had a phone on the field?:question:

ThunderGun
12-02-2013, 09:02 AM
He cost us another game via a bonehead play at the end....but I don't see the point in cutting off our nose to spite our face. He's still our best WR (although I could easily see Woods passing him next season). Woods has better hands, but Stevie has a knack for getting open.

I'm pissed about yesterday too, but running guys out of town for mid-round picks doesn't get us anywhere. Haven't we learned our lesson from the Lynch debacle? We could have Lynch, Freddy, and Demaryius Thomas right now (who would be perfect for this offense, seeing as how EJ loves throwing short, and Demaryius constantly takes short throws to the house). But instead we got Spiller (who I still like), Freddy, and Chris Hairston.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately true #1 receivers are not growing on trees and as someone pointed out before, you can count on (just about) one hand true #1 receivers in NFL.

Stevie is not a #1 receiver. But he's best we have on this roster until guys like Woods develops and passes him. Until then, any talk about trading him is just silly.

I was a bit surprised that they didn't play Goodwin more yesterday. Having a full roster creates another set of problem where young, upcoming players don't get valuable time especially crunch time to continue their growth.

Historian
12-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Yea, me too, considering it was a fast track with no wind to worry about...

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 09:48 AM
He needs work at a juggs machine.

Thing is he can get open off the line any play he wants any time he wants against any corner.

Read some reports on the guy around the league, he's touted as having the best move off the line of any WR in the NFL.

What he lacks is elite speed and mentally staying in a game at all times.

Get a big body true number 1 and have Stevie work the slot and he'll put up numbers as he'll abuse every nickle corner in the NFL.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm tired of Stevie's antics. I can think of one game where he took over and helped us win, and at least 4 where his stupid mistakes were either outright responsible for or at least a huge factor in us losing a game that we were in a position to win. Vets like Stevie and Chandler are supposed to come through for the rookie QB who didn't play great but played well enough to win, and they both failed yesterday.

But the reality is that there is no such thing as addition by subtraction, no matter how many times it gets said on this board. As bad as we are with Stevie, we are far worse without him. We have a rookie QB and he's the only vet WR on the team. We can trade him if and only if we find someone equal or better in talent (and less prone to idiotic mental mistakes).

Jan Reimers
12-02-2013, 09:53 AM
He needs work at a juggs machine.

Thing is he can get open off the line any play he wants any time he wants against any corner.

Read some reports on the guy around the league, he's touted as having the best move off the line of any WR in the NFL.

What he lacks is elite speed and mentally staying in a game at all times.

Get a big body true number 1 and have Stevie work the slot and he'll put up numbers as he'll abuse every nickle corner in the NFL.

I'm not sure you can ever improve his focus and concentration, no matter what you try to do. He just seems to lose it at the very most critical times.

bills_7
12-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Stevie needs to be our number 3 slot guy, woods number 2, Goodwin 4, draft or trade for a big tall WR even if he isn't true number one guy we need size

gebobs
12-02-2013, 09:57 AM

Disagree. If they can get a third, it'd be worth it. He's not worth a first. He's not a top gun receiver and undependable otherwise.

Same for Chandler. I've never liked that Neanderthal. He dropped a pass in the first half that would have sustained a drive. He's good for a dropped pass every third or fourth thrown to him it seems.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Stevie is not a #1 receiver. But he's best we have on this roster until guys like Woods develops and passes him.
Done. Thanks.

trapezeus
12-02-2013, 10:05 AM
He had a phone on the field?:question:

When we are calling to get a trade partner. it's not a good joke. thanks for pointing that out.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Stevie is still our best WR and IMO can still be part of a winning team in Buffalo. We're talking about a team that hasn't made the playoffs in what is now 14 years. Crap like this happens all the time because we have been bad in key positions and have been stingy with the the caliber of Offensive and Defensive Coordinators.

So when you are bad in those areas mistakes and miscues tend to carry a lot more weight and you lose games because of them.

The bigger question is why was that game even at 31-31 in the first place? Because we couldn't stop the run all day, because a lot of our drives stalled. Rookie QB, rookie OC, rookie HC. I like Pettine but he needs a monster in the middle to free everyone up. We need a big mean, 350LB DT that can't be moved.

So yes, those fumbles suck, but they were strips more than they were fumbles. Stevie from what I saw had the ball tucked away as did Chandler. DB made a good play.

Stevie is good and Chandler is serviceable. No need to get rid of them, we need better players on this team around them. Getting rid of those guys is a very emotional view of it. When Manuel becomes a better QB, Stevie will be very tough to cover as he showed yesterday. He had a strong game.

SIDE NOTE*** Another reason we lost was Moorman's crappy punting all day minus a couple. He is terrible. We could have put them in tough situations inside their own 10 but he keeps hitting it only to their 17-20.

Many coaches credit the kicking game as a major aspect of a winning team. Moorman is not what he used to be.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Stevie is still our best WR and IMO can still be part of a winning team in Buffalo. We're talking about a team that hasn't made the playoffs in what is now 14 years. Crap like this happens all the time because we have been bad in key positions and have been stingy with the the caliber of Offensive and Defensive Coordinators.

So when you are bad in those areas mistakes and miscues tend to carry a lot more weight and you lose games because of them.

The bigger question is why was that game even at 31-31 in the first place? Because we couldn't stop the run all day, because a lot of our drives stalled. Rookie QB, rookie OC, rookie HC. I like Pettine but he needs a monster in the middle to free everyone up. We need a big mean, 350LB DT that can't be moved.

So yes, those fumbles suck, but they were strips more than they were fumbles. Stevie from what I saw had the ball tucked away as did Chandler. DB made a good play.

Stevie is good and Chandler is serviceable. No need to get rid of them, we need better players on this team around them. Getting rid of those guys is a very emotional view of it. When Manuel becomes a better QB, Stevie will be very tough to cover as he showed yesterday. He had a strong game.

SIDE NOTE*** Another reason we lost was Moorman's crappy punting all day minus a couple. He is terrible. We could have put them in tough situations inside their own 10 but he keeps hitting it only to their 17-20.

Many coaches credit the kicking game as a major aspect of a winning team. Moorman is not what he used to be.
Your excuse for these two is "they were strips?"

First, that's epic bull**** because NFL defenders attempt to strip the ball on almost every single play. If the offensive player has the ball tucked properly, the strip doesn't happen.

Second, if you're gonna go that route, then you have to blame our defenders for failing to strip the ball when Atlanta had it.

This is a typical case of defending guys who are part of the problem simply because they wear the uniform. Stevie and Chandler aren't the sole reason this team has been losing, but their limitations are part of the problem. No team can win with "stars" who are as mistake-prone as Stevie.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
I do agree on Moorman though. The way this org has handled the P situation for the last two seasons is a ****ing joke.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Your excuse for these two is "they were strips?"

First, that's epic bull**** because NFL defenders attempt to strip the ball on almost every single play. If the offensive player has the ball tucked properly, the strip doesn't happen.

Second, if you're gonna go that route, then you have to blame our defenders for failing to strip the ball when Atlanta had it.

This is a typical case of defending guys who are part of the problem simply because they wear the uniform. Stevie and Chandler aren't the sole reason this team has been losing, but their limitations are part of the problem. No team can win with "stars" who are as mistake-prone as Stevie.

I still don't think Stevie is mistake prone. He wasn't holding the ball loosely and neither was Chandler. Stevie has had ONE drop which was epic against Steelers. He has also matured from the celebration penalties and taunts. That guy punched the ball perfectly from behind so I can forgive it.

When this team has a QB and a real OC, not to mention a real defense then maybe we won't have to be on a knife-edge in EVERY SINGLE game where one mistake costs us a game.

BTW I'm not saying Manuel isn't a real QB but he is not a playoff QB at this time. So we are a team that still needs way too much in order to win. QB is 50% of the formula if not more. Then its run defense and offensive play calling where we need a lot of improvement.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Both of those were nudges and the ball came flying out. The long and the short of it is you cannot depend on these guys. You need a jackhammer to get it out of the arms of any decent receiver especially when they know the game hinges on their putting the ball away and protecting it with their life. These morons have to know and sense the play around them and that includes knowing there are guys on their tail that are going to do whatever is necessary to separate them from the ball.

With the game on the line next year and the Bills needing a touchdown to beat the Dolphins to make the playoffs, I do not want either of these chumps on the field. No way, no how. This is not an emotional response. I did not come to this conclusion yesterday. Johnson is utterly undependable in the clutch. He's blown two games just this year. And Chandler is just a lunkhead with stone hands half the time.

Historian
12-02-2013, 11:06 AM
What I find funny, is that people on these boards used to call Lee Evans a "one trick Pony" referring to the fact that he usually only made a big play deep.

I think Johnson is the epitome of a one trick pony....he runs one route well, the quick slant. Nothing wrong with that, but he only comes up with the ball probably 40% of the time.

And any adult that calls himself "Stevie" has issues, imo. Grow up for chrissakes. That's what you call a seven year old.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
What I find funny, is that people on these boards used to call Lee Evans a "one trick Pony" referring to the fact that he usually only made a big play deep.

I think Johnson is the epitome of a one trick pony....he runs one route well, the quick slant. Nothing wrong with that, but he only comes up with the ball probably 40% of the time.

And any adult that calls himself "Stevie" has issues, imo. Grow up for chrissakes. That's what you call a seven year old.

Don't agree. Stevie is certainly not one dimensional. He just gets open on any route because he is very crafty in his route running and hard to predict. He is very good on crossers, outs, slants and with better QB play he would do well with fades and posts.

Stevie just gets open regardless of the route. He is limited by speed and jump balls but that is not his game. When was it again that he had a consistent QB throwing to him?

If Stevie had Brady he would be tearing up the league. His one or two errors every season would be an afterthought.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 11:23 AM
If Stevie had Brady he would be tearing up the league. His one or two errors every season would be an afterthought.
If Stevie was playing for the Pats in Game 1 and it was Brady's pass he couldn't corral on 3rd-and-1 with the game on the line, Belichick would have benched his ass for a month. If then he fumbled in the clutch with the playoffs hanging in the balance, the Pats would be peddling his sorry ass before the game was over.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Welker has done similar things and not been benched. And that pass in game 1 was not on target. He got his fingers to it but that doesn't mean it was catchable or that it constituted a drop. EJ has been missing that pass all year and missed that exact pass again yesterday to Chandler.

Belichick wouldn't bench a player unless it was chronic. Stevie is not a chronic fumbler and not a chronic dropper of passes. He does chronically play with average to below average QBs though. If anything we should all be thankful we have talent willing to stay on this team rather than bagging on them.

Stevie could have left for greener pastures long ago. He stayed against all logic.

justasportsfan
12-02-2013, 11:38 AM
I am against trading SJ for a low draft pick who wont do much. Replace him with an equal or better wr and I'm okay with that.

GingerP
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Welker has done similar things and not been benched.

Welker has had some high-profile drops, but he also has about a billion clutch plays converting on 3rd down. He gets a little more leeway.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
With Welker, it's the exception.

With Stevie, it's the norm. And it goes beyond just the penalties and Pittsburgh. This is a long-standing trend with him.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Welker has had some high-profile drops, but he also has about a billion clutch plays converting on 3rd down. He gets a little more leeway.

Stevie has also had a lot of clutch plays. Difference is that clutch requires you to be in a game and for it to matter. How often are we in that? By November its usually wrapped up. Stevie had some great catches yesterday on 3rd down.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Look at drop rates.

Welker 6.9%
Reggie Wayne 6.9%
Cecil Shorts 6.0%
Steve Smith 6.3%
Greg Jennings 7.0%

Stevie Johnson...5.8%

gebobs
12-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Stevie has also had a lot of clutch plays. Difference is that clutch requires you to be in a game and for it to matter. How often are we in that? By November its usually wrapped up. Stevie had some great catches yesterday on 3rd down.

But not when it counted yesterday. And not when it counted in Game 1.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM

This last statement sums it up perfectly.

This team is very flawed so the miscues are magnified that much more...unfortunately the Bills are a team who on many a Sunday have to play absolutely perfectly to win...no one is perfect.

Mahdi
With Welker, it's the exception.

With Stevie, it's the norm. And it goes beyond just the penalties and Pittsburgh. This is a long-standing trend with him.

No trends can be properly evaluated until this team is properly set up to win. Carolina was a joke, players like Ted Ginn were drop prone. Now Ginn is a game-winner in Carolina?

Get the QB, get the right coaches and the right personnel. Don't be near the bottom of the league in run D every year then maybe we can talk about a drop or two and an ill-timed fumble.

jdaltroy5

Look at drop rates.

Welker 6.9%
Reggie Wayne 6.9%
Cecil Shorts 6.0%
Steve Smith 6.3%
Greg Jennings 7.0%

Stevie Johnson...5.8%I wonder what would happen if they broke that down to downs or quarters.

gebobs

Look at drop rates.

Welker 6.9%
Reggie Wayne 6.9%
Cecil Shorts 6.0%
Steve Smith 6.3%
Greg Jennings 7.0%

Stevie Johnson...5.8%
Sure. But the WHEN is as important if not more important than the how many.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 12:05 PM
But not where it counted yesterday. And not when it counted in Game 1.

Actually he DID make that catch to get us in FG range before fumbling. That was a huge play. Next time maybe he puts two hands on the ball like a FB to ensure safety.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Sure. But the WHEN is as important if not more important than the how many.

Look at the difference of the team...

Us vs Denver...well they can afford to make more mistakes because they have Peyton Manning. FYI Eric Decker's drop rate is 7%. The miscues they make aren't as magnified because as a team they are able to not put themselves into a position where one missed play kills them.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Actually he DID make that catch to get us in FG range before fumbling. That was a huge play. Next time maybe he puts two hands on the ball like a FB to ensure safety.

We would have been better off if he dropped it.

I was mid "sigh of relief" with the catch when I choked on the fumble.

It does me no good to have a receiver that can catch every ball in the 1st quarter when we're up by 10 but drop it, fumble it, or whatever in the 4th when the game is closer.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Us vs Denver...well they can afford to make more mistakes because they have Peyton Manning. FYI Eric Decker's drop rate is 7%. The miscues they make aren't as magnified because as a team they are able to not put themselves into a position where one missed play kills them.

Right. We can't afford to have dopes like Johnson screwing it up for us. Two losses this year are on his resume of fail.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Right. We can't afford to have dopes like Johnson screwing it up for us. Two losses this year are on his resume of fail.

All I'm saying in a nutshell is if Wes Welker was here, people would have vitriol over him dropping the ball too.

Because those mistakes would be magnified.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
All I'm saying in a nutshell is if Wes Welker was here, people would have vitriol over him dropping the ball too.

Because those mistakes would be magnified.

So when is there any accountability for you when a guy screws up so much? The fact is the Bills were tied and, with his catch, in position to win the game in regulation. The pass was there. And he grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory like few people are known to do around the league. Everyone knows it. Stevie has the yips.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
So when is there any accountability for you when a guy screws up so much? The fact is the Bills were tied and, with his catch, in position to win the game in regulation. The pass was there. And he grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory like few people are known to do around the league. Everyone knows it. Stevie has the yips.

Stevie has the yips just like a lot of other receivers in the NFL. Guys that are considered elite. Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, Wes Welker all get the yips too. Would it be nice if he could work on his hands? Absolutely. The difference between him and basically being the top WR in the league is elite speed and lowering his drop percentage by 2-3%. The speed well nothing he can do about that...he can however work on his hands to lower the drop percentage. He's still a good WR regardless and a guy that shouldn't just be shipped out of town because he's made a few mistakes. And yes, I agree that we need a big body number 1 to let Stevie operate out of the slot where he'd be even more effective.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 12:56 PM
No trends can be properly evaluated until this team is properly set up to win. Carolina was a joke, players like Ted Ginn were drop prone. Now Ginn is a game-winner in Carolina?

Get the QB, get the right coaches and the right personnel. Don't be near the bottom of the league in run D every year then maybe we can talk about a drop or two and an ill-timed fumble.

No doubt the Run D needs to be fixed, but that's a separate issue. And it's not a drop here or there. It's every time he needs to make a clutch play, save the one game earlier this season. You say this team needs the right personnel- well Stevie is part of those personnel problems. He's not a true #1 and this team will not win as long as they try to use him as such.

Mahdi
12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
No doubt the Run D needs to be fixed, but that's a separate issue. And it's not a drop here or there. It's every time he needs to make a clutch play, save the one game earlier this season. You say this team needs the right personnel- well Stevie is part of those personnel problems. He's not a true #1 and this team will not win as long as they try to use him as such.

Definition of a #1 in the league has become blurred. Welker was a #1 in NE but he was a slot receiver. Stevie with a big receiver on one side and speed receiver on the other can absolutely be a #1. As in, he can have a 100 reception season. Of course that assumes consistent QB play.

trapezeus
12-02-2013, 01:01 PM
stevie is one of our most talented and one of our most expensive weapons on offense. you need to play like that in the 4th quarter of every game. he doesn't.

can the bills be a ****ty 4-8 team and 3 plays away from 1-11 without him? i think so. can you cut him and use the money on tying up byrd and drafting a new receiver so that we have one big body receiver out there? yep.

keeping him, will he be the difference to elevate a team? the evidence doesn't seem to be the case. why would it get better.

we trash punters and kickeres over one bad game. but WR and QB, when they play poorly, we tend to extend them.

jonespostman
12-02-2013, 01:40 PM
you mean instead of blaminmg qb, lights, etc?

justasportsfan
12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
can you cut him and use the money on tying up byrd and drafting a new receiver so that we have one big body receiver out there? yep.We don't need to cut SJ to pay Byrd.How is Woods doing? Is he any better than Stevie? I don't think so. Maybe we can gamble and take one where we got Goodwin who also hasn't proven to be better than Stevie.

keeping him, will he be the difference to elevate a team? the evidence doesn't seem to be the case. why would it get better. getting rid of him without replacing him with a better player wont elevate this team either.

we trash punters and kickeres over one bad game. but WR and QB, when they play poorly, we tend to extend them. Stevie is a productive player . He isn't paid elite money. He isn't paid to be the eilte wr we have to depend on for every snap. Fix the wr's around him and we'll be okay.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 04:39 PM
He isn't paid to be the eilte wr we have to depend on for every snap.
It would be nice if he could let us know which snaps we can depend on him on which we can't. Otherwise, yes, we do depend on him to perform every snap.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-02-2013, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't get rid of him. However, I would consider reducing his playing time until he got the memo to step up his game.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Stevie has the yips just like a lot of other receivers in the NFL. Guys that are considered elite. Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, Wes Welker all get the yips too.
Interesting. The talk here in Atlanta is about how snake bit he is. I've never heard sports radio here talk about any of those other receivers the same way. It could just be the attention that it's getting since we played the Falcons. Could be I just didn't tune in those days they talked about Steve Smith's yips.

But I don't really care whether any of those guys have the yips. I only care about one guy. My guy. And he has them. Big time. If there is one thing we can count on, we can count on Stevie effing it up. The more crucial the situation, the more we can count on it. Tell me your heart didn't skip a beat when you saw EJ float that pass to a wide open Johnson with just 2 seconds left against Carolina. No one misses that catch. But you knew, and I knew, and everyone knew, there was a chance he would.

Would it be nice if he could work on his hands? Absolutely. The difference between him and basically being the top WR in the league is elite speed and lowering his drop percentage by 2-3%. The speed well nothing he can do about that...he can however work on his hands to lower the drop percentage. He's still a good WR regardless and a guy that shouldn't just be shipped out of town because he's made a few mistakes. And yes, I agree that we need a big body number 1 to let Stevie operate out of the slot where he'd be even more effective.

I don't care. Keep him on the team. Take him out when the game gets tight. That's all.

trapezeus
12-02-2013, 04:56 PM
We don't need to cut SJ to pay Byrd.How is Woods doing? Is he any better than Stevie? I don't think so. Maybe we can gamble and take one where we got Goodwin who also hasn't proven to be better than Stevie.

getting rid of him without replacing him with a better player wont elevate this team either.

Stevie is a productive player . He isn't paid elite money. He isn't paid to be the eilte wr we have to depend on for every snap. Fix the wr's around him and we'll be okay.

my point isn't to cut him and do nothing about it. i'm saying cutting him means you have to find a legit number 1. bills are on a crash course for 5-11 right now. they could have the pick of the litter. while other top 10 picks are looking at QBs, the bills might take another Wr. even if steview didn't fumble, i was beginning to think the lack of size is a need in the receiving corp.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 04:58 PM
You think the Bills are a laughingstock franchise now? Cut Stevie and see what'll happen.

Novacane
12-02-2013, 05:14 PM
You think the Bills are a laughingstock franchise now? Cut Stevie and see what'll happen.

Teams cut players due big roster bonuses all the time.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 05:16 PM

What has he done this year? He figured prominently in two losses. Last week and in week 1 he had a critical drop on 3rd and 2. with the Bills trying to run out the clock.

What has he done in the 4 wins? I'm pretty sure someone might have been able to catch the ball against Carolina. But that was certainly his best game. Against the Ravens, he had one catch for -1 yards. the winning drive against the Dolphins was all on the ground. He had six catches that game, none for first downs and only one that was early in a FG drive. He missed the second Jets game.

BillsFever21
12-02-2013, 05:24 PM
You wouldn't get much for him. He is a decent WR but he isn't elite and we all know he isn't very clutch. Factoring in his contract you would be lucky to get anymore then a late 3rd for him and most likely a 4th round pick.

We wouldn't save anything cap wise by getting rid of him next year so there isn't any reason for it. It's not like we have an established WR unit and player to replace him with. Keep him for next year for his veteran presence and see where it goes from there. We just know he can't be depended on in the clutch. He either drops the pass in the big spots or fumbles it.

justasportsfan
12-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Thomas' and Deckers' nos. DOUBLED since Peyton became their qb. MAkes you wonder what Stevie's nos. would have been if Peyton was throwing to him.

gebobs
12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Thomas' and Deckers' nos. DOUBLED since Peyton became their qb. MAkes you wonder what Stevie's nos. would have been if Peyton was throwing to him.
Manning will cool off with the weather...as usual.

justasportsfan
12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
my point isn't to cut him and do nothing about it. i'm saying cutting him means you have to find a legit number 1. bills are on a crash course for 5-11 right now. they could have the pick of the litter. while other top 10 picks are looking at QBs, the bills might take another Wr. even if steview didn't fumble, i was beginning to think the lack of size is a need in the receiving corp.

another WR is not going to do anything unless we fix our QB position first. Peyton would make our recievers and TE's look so much better than they are right now even Woods. The nos. of Peytons recievers and TE's prove that ever since he became their qb.

User Manuel
12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I say we use him as part of a deal to get Larry Fitzgerald. We have the need, we have the cap space and he would fit perfect on a young building team close to contending.

Downinfloflo
12-03-2013, 04:29 PM
It's not like players are lined up to come sign a contract for the Buffalo Bills...

I bet half the NFL don't even know where Buffalo is, Cutting SJ or even thinking about it is just a crazy knee jerk reaction and the reason why emotional fans are ignored by franchises.

Mahdi
12-04-2013, 06:47 AM
It's not like players are lined up to come sign a contract for the Buffalo Bills...

I bet half the NFL don't even know where Buffalo is, Cutting SJ or even thinking about it is just a crazy knee jerk reaction and the reason why emotional fans are ignored by franchises.

So just to confirm... We're not trading Stevie for Calvin or AJ???

swiper
12-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I say we use him as part of a deal to get Larry Fitzgerald. We have the need, we have the cap space and he would fit perfect on a young building team close to contending.

Never going to happen. Fitzgerald is an elite receiver on a crappy team for his whole career. Fitzgerald would never, ever agree to come to Buffalo. And to think a trade of that magnitude would ever occur is craziness.

justasportsfan
12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Manning will cool off with the weather...as usual.

I agree but thats not the point though.

feldspar
12-04-2013, 09:09 AM
There is no telling how Stevie Johnson would do outside of Buffalo if we were ever to let him go.

Look at what happened to Lee Evans. The guy was pretty much forced to retire at age 30, and there was the same debate about how he was a border-line #1 receiver. Josh Reed, our #2 receiver, also had to retire after the Bills set him loose.

I'll tell you one thing: these Bills #1 receivers have been lucky to be Buffalo Bills, because they wouldn't likely be #1 receivers too many other places...they wouldn't be paid like they have been at all. Lee Evans and now Stevie Johnson. Yeah, you could do a whole lot better.

You don't get rid of Stevie, though. You stick him in the slot and develop your young guys and maybe pick up another one next year. You try to restructure his deal soon. I'm sure the guy brings a lot of personality into the locker-room but, to be honest, I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-04-2013, 09:18 AM

Arizona is much, much closer to contending then us.

User Manuel
12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
As a piece of a package to get Fitzgerald. He obviously doesn't measure up, but he would certainly be attractive to the Cards as at least a fill-in to go along with the other assets (likely picks) that we deal.(sorry for the redundancy)

IlluminatusUIUC
12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
As a piece of a package to get Fitzgerald. He obviously doesn't measure up, but he would certainly be attractive to the Cards as at least a fill-in to go along with the other assets (likely picks) that we deal.(sorry for the redundancy)

This idea isn't improving with repetition. Fitz is probably the most popular player in Cardinals history. I can't see why they would deal him for Johnson, and I don't see the benefit to us to dealing young assets away.