Are the Bills inflating defensive statistics, tackles in particular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Are the Bills inflating defensive statistics, tackles in particular?

Was looking at the Bills box scores and for every home game the Bills have the number of total tackles (not including assisted tackles) is always much higher than the total number of plays for the opposing teams offense. At away games, however, the number of total tackles fairly closely tracks the total number of plays.

Kiko has an impressive number of total tackles, and leads the league in assisted tackles based on the statistics on ESPN. Just wondering if there is some inflation going on by the Bills to get Kiko rookie of the year honors.
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Are the Bills inflating defensive statistics, tackles in particular?

I hope they are.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
      • Aug 2012

I find tackles to be a pretty useless stat anyway.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
        I find tackles to be a pretty useless stat anyway.
        tackles for loss is the most inportant tackle stat.

Dareus currently ranks 100th overall, 20th for DTs. He's awesome.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post

Get over your hate for Dareus.

He's actually been pretty good this year.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Dareus has been pretty good this year. That being said, he was the 3rd overall pick in an absolutely stacked first round so I always view his production through that lens. Defensive Line talent alone in that first round included Dareus, Watt, Wilkerson, Jordan and Quinn.

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by EDS View Post
              Dareus has been pretty good this year. That being said, he was the 3rd overall pick in an absolutely stacked first round so I always view his production through that lens. Defensive Line talent alone in that first round included Dareus, Watt, Wilkerson, Jordan and Quinn.
              That is kind of how I feel about him. Pretty good player, but was hoping for more from the #3 overall. Doesn't help that the next 4 picks after him were A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones & Aldon Smith. All those guys have been studs, and I didn't even mention J.J. Watt being picked 10th. He is not a bust, but it seems like they could have done more with the pick.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                That is kind of how I feel about him. Pretty good player, but was hoping for more from the #3 overall. Doesn't help that the next 4 picks after him were A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones & Aldon Smith. All those guys have been studs, and I didn't even mention J.J. Watt being picked 10th. He is not a bust, but it seems like they could have done more with the pick.
                If we had picked Aldon Smith, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones or JJ Watt with the 3rd overall pick, there would've been a riot in Buffalo.

Dareus was absolutely the right pick at the time. Most people didn't even expect him to be on the board by #3.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

maybe TD and coastal can get together and dismantle our defense by getting rid of the two guys who help generate the pressure that we do.

Comment

• GingerP
                    • Aug 2012

If we had picked Aldon Smith, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones or JJ Watt with the 3rd overall pick, there would've been a riot in Buffalo.

Dareus was absolutely the right pick at the time. Most people didn't even expect him to be on the board by #3.
                    People may not have been happy with the pick initially, but I think they would get over it once seeing those guys play. I'm not criticizing the pick itself, it was sound at the time, but in hindsight they could have done better. I like Darius, but it is hard to not to watch him play and think it could could something better.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                      People may not have been happy with the pick initially, but I think they would get over it once seeing those guys play. I'm not criticizing the pick itself, it was sound at the time, but in hindsight they could have done better. I like Darius, but it is hard to not to watch him play and think it could could something better.
                      Sure, I don't disagree.

Unfortunately the team didn't have a crystal ball though. Everyone in the NFL world thought it was a good pick at the time.

And who knows how any of those players would've played here. Dareus could be an All-Pro in San Fran or Houston and any of those guys could've flopped here.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Wrong, the Bills had Pro Bowl Defensive Tackle Kyle Williams already on the roster.

The absolute right pick was AJ Green possibly even Patrick Peterson.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                          • Aug 2012

Wrong, the Bills had Pro Bowl Defensive Tackle Kyle Williams already on the roster.

The absolute right pick was AJ Green possibly even Patrick Peterson.
                          Yeah, we had Kyle Williams and only Kyle Williams.

We also had:
                          Carrington
                          Heard
                          Spencer Johnson
                          McCargo
                          Stroud
                          Troup

Our DL was extremely weak. Green would've been a good pick and I'm sure most people would've been happy with that, but just about everyone out there had Dareus rated as a top 3 prospect.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I'm pretty happy with the Dareus pick.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                              Was looking at the Bills box scores and for every home game the Bills have the number of total tackles (not including assisted tackles) is always much higher than the total number of plays for the opposing teams offense. At away games, however, the number of total tackles fairly closely tracks the total number of plays.

Kiko has an impressive number of total tackles, and leads the league in assisted tackles based on the statistics on ESPN. Just wondering if there is some inflation going on by the Bills to get Kiko rookie of the year honors.
                              I'm sure they are pumping up the numbers. They release what they think are - higher. I remember in the n'paper here a few games ago, the CIN club giving Vontaze Burfict something like 16 total tackles, and the reporter said nah, more like 11.

SF is notorious for loading up Patrick Willis' numbers.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X