PDA

View Full Version : The pass interference penalty....

Historian
12-02-2013, 11:09 AM
...late in the 4th, looked to me looked more like holding. (When he had the jersey)

Difference being a five yarder vs 1st down on the 1.

Thoughts?

imbondz
12-02-2013, 11:12 AM
I thought it was neither

jdaltroy5
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I think they were both pushing each other.

In my totally biased opinion, I don't think any penalty should've been called.

elltrain22
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Could've went both ways, but the grab of the jersey, did make a legitimate call. I think the fact that they both were guilty should've been a no call, but i'm obviously biased.

TacklingDummy
12-02-2013, 11:18 AM
If it was in Buffalo it wouldn't of been called.

It was the right call, Robey did have Douglas by the collar when the ball was just about to arrive.

trapezeus
12-02-2013, 11:30 AM
mckelvin was getting pushed by rodney white all during the first half. every time the ball arrived, mckelvin's coverage would get shot from a push in the back. no call.
at some point, as a db, you have to take that as a queue to just play and see where the chips may fall....and guess what, the refs decided to get technical at the end, the opposite of how they conducted themselves earlier.

jdaltroy5
12-02-2013, 11:33 AM

It was the right call, Robey did have Douglas by the collar when the ball was just about to arrive.Really? Because there haven't been any bad calls in Buffalo?

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Not sure how that was PI in the endzone when the two long passes to Goodwin weren't.....

Cleve
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
That Falcon TD drive was directly aided by this penalty, AND the "illegal touching" penalty a few snaps earlier on Aaron Williams 23 also kept the Falcons drive alive - the replay showed clearly that Aaron Williams wasn't even touching ANYONE!! And the commentators were like "WTF??" like both Marrone and Aaron Williams.

And did anyone watch last night's Giants/Redskins game? The officials made an enormous mistake with under 2 minutes to go in the half. The officials awarded a 1st down to Washington.... when it should have been 3rd and inches. They moved the chains and changed the Downs Markers to "1". So the Redskins call a 1st and 10 type pass play, which is incomplete. THEN the officials made it FOURTH DOWN!! Shanahan went ballistic, which you can't blame him. If a mistake is made, once the ball is snapped, that should be IT! That huge gaffe could have well changed the outcome of the game. IF the officials were going to try and "make it right" then go back to 3rd and inches!

When is the NFL actually going to get full-time professional officials and get beyond rinky-dink part-timers? All the billions spent on stadiums and rosters, etc, and what, they're trying to save a few thousand on Obamacare by keeping the officials under 30 hrs? A guy driving a taxi today shouldn't be an official tonight, IMHO!

TigerJ
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Both receiver and Robey were physical with each other. Probably should not have been called, but when the Atlanta player's jersey got stretched out, it was probably a little more obvious to the official. The comment on Roddy White is interesting considering there is some sentiment to draft Mike Evans to play receiver for the Bills. From what little I've seen, Mike evans whole game is about being physical with DBs in what appears to be borderline pass interference. If you find yourself in a game with officials who are calling the game closely, he could give you a bunch of offensive pass interference calls.

chernobylwraiths
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
He had the jersey, but when the ball is in the air, it is pass interference, not holding.

Now, how that ref could see the pull on the jersey is something I wonder about.

I wonder more about the 15 yard penalty on the play before. Why, on third and goal at th five when he got down to the 2 is the penalty assessed and gives them another down? They get the result of the play AND the down back.

- - - Updated - - -

He had the jersey, but when the ball is in the air, it is pass interference, not holding.

I wonder more about the 15 yard penalty on the play before. Why, on third and goal at th five when he got down to the 2 is the penalty assessed and gives them another down? They get the result of the play AND the down back.

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Defensive holding becomes pass interference when the ball is in the air... Otherwise it's a 5 yarder, automatic 1st down.

DraftBoy
12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Hand fighting is one thing but the moment Robey grabs inside his collar that's DPI all day long. Easy call to make.

YardRat
12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't really see how the ref saw the hold on the collar anyway...White's back was to him, and the jersey didn't stretch that much.

Definitely PI, but considering the refs had been letting guys get away with **** like all game long, it was a piss poor time to finally decide to throw a flag.

The King
12-02-2013, 02:16 PM
It was the tangled legs that led to the receiver being taken out of the play.

bf1
12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
...late in the 4th, looked to me looked more like holding. (When he had the jersey)

Thoughts?

Isn't the difference when the penalty happened? When the ball was in the air vs if the receiver was on his route.

The Popcorn
12-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Thoughts?

Game over. Move on. What's done is done.

Typ0
12-02-2013, 03:40 PM
at least those guys were actually touching. There was another call earlier the guy was not even near the call WTF.

Captain gameboy
12-02-2013, 03:56 PM
I think the issue is really simple, and one that the NFL needs to address.

Arguably, the NFL pass interference call is the most significant call in sports.

Over the years I have seen it evolve from a normal penalty into an offensive strategy.

Get one on one, hand fight, and launch a useless pass looking for the refs to bail you out.

That is exactly what happened.

It sickens me that the NFL supports this.

BillsFever21
12-02-2013, 04:14 PM
The call was iffy but Buffalo still had TWO chances to win the game but Johnson and Chandler decided they would rather fumble the game away.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
The call was iffy but Buffalo still had TWO chances to win the game but Johnson and Chandler decided they would rather fumble the game away.
That's the only reason I'm not more pissed off about the call. If either one of them doesn't fumble, there is a good chance we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

BillsFever21
12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
That's the only reason I'm not more pissed off about the call. If either one of them doesn't fumble, there is a good chance we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I was furious about the call and the Falcons tying the game. Once we completed the pass to Johnson and he fumbled then I wasn't as mad. After we got the ball first in OT and had the big play to Chandler and he also fumbled I couldn't be mad anymore. We had two chances to win along with still winning in regulation but we choked.

trapezeus
12-02-2013, 04:23 PM
i agree, in the 80's and 90's pass interference was a penalty called once every couple games if you followed one team. now you are going to see it 1-2 times a game

somewhere the refs became part of the show. they like watching the film in a voting booth and then have a 12 page dissertation on how what seemed obviously a catch isn't a catch any longer because the "act of making a catch". Listen to the games this year and last when they've botched the play call. the refs talk about "of the essence". Last night Jeff Triplette's explanation on how no one knew what down it was sounded like a kid got caught not reading the book for a pop quiz.

the refs need to be so minimally involved. yet they become a driving reason of how teams game plan. "hey we have a mildly accurate qb, they have a weak db, let's have our WR go long, we'll throw it up for him and have him flop if there is any contact whatsoever." and then they need to have make up calls for when they've gone overboard. it's a joke.

This league is slowing down the speed of the game, being overlitigious, and slowly removing the contact from the game.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Oh come on now, you know it would.

People around here love blaming the refs for every single thing that goes wrong. The NFL is out to get the Buffalo Bills and their fanbase. The NFL hates the Bills. yadda yadda yadda

DraftBoy
12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
What are people so upset about? It was the right call, there is no argument for it not being the right call. Our DB reached out and yanked the WR by his collar down. That's a flag without question.

Novacane
12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
What are people so upset about? It was the right call, there is no argument for it not being the right call. Our DB reached out and yanked the WR by his collar down. That's a flag without question.

Because the WR was pushing off. Should of been offsetting penalties. Holding on Roby and PI on WR

SquishDaFish
12-02-2013, 04:59 PM

It was the right call, Robey did have Douglas by the collar when the ball was just about to arrive.

I agree with this BUT the ref that threw the flag could never have seen the collar being pulled because the back of the WR was to him. All he saw was the hand contact from BOTH players as ball was coming

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Because the officiating was inconsistent. On both of the long attempts to Goodwin, both players were hand fighting and pushing and grabbing and the refs decided that they were both non-calls. Then, suddenly, with the game on the line, they decide to call it?

Call all 3, or let them play, but don't change the rules with the game on the line.

Jry44
12-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I think the issue is really simple, and one that the NFL needs to address.

Arguably, the NFL pass interference call is the most significant call in sports.

Over the years I have seen it evolve from a normal penalty into an offensive strategy.

Get one on one, hand fight, and launch a useless pass looking for the refs to bail you out.

That is exactly what happened.

It sickens me that the NFL supports this.

There's no arguably about it; it's horrible.

You can basically stomp an opponents head after the play and get only 15 yards, however, if you bump a receiver a little early 40 yards down the field it's a 40 yard penalty. Not to mention that you can't bump a receiver after 5 yards, or hit them after they catch the ball. It's ridiculous...

I think the NFL needs to get the competition committee together after the super bowl and really reevaluate how they want these games called. There are just way to many variations of penalties and judgement calls in the game right now that it's obviously effecting the officials themselves to the point where they are even unsure of what they should and should not be calling. It's killing the game. And until they find a way to scale the penalties back a bit you're always going to have games played like it's the NBA, where drawing penalties is going to decide games and create controversy.

DraftBoy
12-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Because the WR was pushing off. Should of been offsetting penalties. Holding on Roby and PI on WR

WR's push off that's what they do. Just like CB's hand check.

Utterly ridiculous that anybody is arguing that we didn't commit a foul on this play.

DraftBoy
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Because the officiating was inconsistent. On both of the long attempts to Goodwin, both players were hand fighting and pushing and grabbing and the refs decided that they were both non-calls. Then, suddenly, with the game on the line, they decide to call it?

Call all 3, or let them play, but don't change the rules with the game on the line.

This has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Was a foul committed on the play, yes or no? It's that simple.

Thurmal
12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
That call came on 3rd and goal from the 16. You don't bail a team out like that with ticky-tack bull****.

The rule changes are obviously designed to increase scoring, and they are ridiculous. Every game has several AWFUL late-hit/roughing the passer/defensive PI calls.

OpIv37
12-02-2013, 06:07 PM
This has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Was a foul committed on the play, yes or no? It's that simple.

No, it's not, because no two officials are the same. Some refs will let things to, others call the game more strictly. The players figure that out early in the game and adjust accordingly. These guys did the same thing they did all game that wasn't called, only this time, it was.

PI is a judgment call. Refs.should make the judgment consistently, not arbitrarily like they did here.

DraftBoy
12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
No, it's not, because no two officials are the same. Some refs will let things to, others call the game more strictly. The players figure that out early in the game and adjust accordingly. These guys did the same thing they did all game that wasn't called, only this time, it was.

PI is a judgment call. Refs.should make the judgment consistently, not arbitrarily like they did here.

Name me one other time the DB reached into the WR's collar and pulled him down and it wasn't called in that game. Then you have a point, until then you're arguing nonsense. The foul was correctly called on the play, there is no debate on that. Was the game a physical one? Absolutely, but nobody got away with what your suggesting the Bills should of.

kishoph
12-02-2013, 06:35 PM

It's not the right call seeing that the receiver pushed off before he was grabbed, starting at the 5 yd. line and continuing right to the goal line The broadcasting crew even commented that they were both pushing and shoving (no flag).
The worst part is the inconsistencies of the refs, they kept their flags in their pockets all game on stuff happening in the secondary, then at such a crucial point in the game they decided to throw one. Why not earlier when Goodwin was obviously being interfered with ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Image26.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/Image26.jpg.html)

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-02-2013, 06:36 PM
i think people are pissed about this call, but should be angrier about the one called on aaron williams when he didn't touch anybody

SquishDaFish
12-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Name me one other time the DB reached into the WR's collar and pulled him down and it wasn't called in that game. Then you have a point, until then you're arguing nonsense. The foul was correctly called on the play, there is no debate on that. Was the game a physical one? Absolutely, but nobody got away with what your suggesting the Bills should of.

I agree with you to a point. Normally your right its PI BUT the ref could not see the collar being pulled he was BEHIND the WR. He saw the hand fighting and thats it. He didnt see the collar

DraftBoy
12-02-2013, 06:49 PM
It's not the right call seeing that the receiver pushed off before he was grabbed, starting at the 5 yd. line and continuing right to the goal line The broadcasting crew even commented that they were both pushing and shoving (no flag).
The worst part is the inconsistencies of the refs, they kept their flags in their pockets all game on stuff happening in the secondary, then at such a crucial point in the game they decided to throw one. Why not earlier when Goodwin was obviously being interfered with ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Image26.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/Image26.jpg.html)
Pushing and shoving is not the same thing as grabbing and pulling down the WR.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you to a point. Normally your right its PI BUT the ref could not see the collar being pulled he was BEHIND the WR. He saw the hand fighting and thats it. He didnt see the collar

Was a foul committed on the play? Was the call correct?

Meathead
12-02-2013, 06:55 PM
grossly inconsistent reffing that game but yeah it was the right call on that play

so many things went against them late but yet they still had the game in the bag if stevie (or probably chandler for that matter) just secures the god damn ball. hey stevie, theres a reason guys run like penguins with the lead and the ball at the end of games, its bc THEY HAVE TWO FREAKING ARMS AROUND IT bc they know defenders are willing to take risks missing tackles to try to cause fumbles YOU FRIKKEN ******. next time just FALL THE FK DOWN on the twenty you dope

arghh yeah im stil pissed. second dumbest late game blunder since mckdumbass fumbled the ko bc he was WAIVNG THE BALL AROUND LIKE A LOAF OF GD BREAD when he knew the cheaters were gonna TRY AND STRIP IT you stupid jackass. yeah im still pissed about that too

SquishDaFish
12-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Pushing and shoving is not the same thing as grabbing and pulling down the WR.

- - - Updated - - -

Was a foul committed on the play? Was the call correct?

Point is it shouldnt have been called unless somehow that ref had xray vision to see the collar being pulled

Owen DeBoard
12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Or how about the pick that Roddy White did to set up the game winning field goal. Last week Erick Deker was flagged in New England for the same exact play but since the Bills are like the leagues redheaded step child they dont get the calls like the Cheatriots do.

Cleve
12-02-2013, 08:35 PM
i think people are pissed about this call, but should be angrier about the one called on aaron williams when he didn't touch anybody

That was disgraceful. This league needs professional officials, not some guy loading a UPS truck until 3 pm, then putting on his official hat and running out on the field for the late game! Does a multi-billion dollar industry really need to tighten the purse-strings when it comes to hiring the best possible officials? Pay the 2 dollars, NFL, and let's go!

Captain gameboy
12-03-2013, 06:15 AM

And that is part of the problem. It is always the right call, it just isn't always called, and when you do it in a game determining situation, it riles up people who know it isn't always called.

The entire pass interference thing is a roll of the dice in today's NFL. Offensive PI is rarely called and it occurs on nearly every play.
For a few years the entire Patriots short passing game was based on a laser accurate Tom Brady throwing at the exact moment his receivers would push off. All they did was run eight your outs, push off to the inside and Brady would immediately throw it two yards to the outside. Receiver turns after the push off and you have a completion.

Now they run that trips formation and use one of the three to seek out contact. It is illegal as hell and it is never called.

A couple of years ago we went through the "intentionally" underthrown long ball. Receiver turns or slows to adjust causing contact with defender and flag is thrown.
The because its awarded at the spot with auto first down it is a game changing call.

Call it consistent, both ways, and give a huge amount of leeway when it is an obvious game determination situation which it undeniably was during this debacle.

The entire thing infuriates me because it is so damned obvious that is is used as a strategy.

Turf
12-03-2013, 07:28 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I though the same thing and wonder why more people aren't talking about it. It was a dead ball foul after the progress of the play. They gave them the 4 yard gain, then backed it up 15. If it was third down, it should have been from the line of scrimmage. Why not 4th down?

Thurmal
12-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Everyone one can agree that the rules are open way too much to intepretation. On the Chandler and Stevie fumbles (both legitimate), for example, they each had possession of the ball for less time than Goodwin did in the Cinci game when the bomb he caught was ruled incomplete.

DraftBoy
12-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Point is it shouldnt have been called unless somehow that ref had xray vision to see the collar being pulled

No the point is a foul was committed and called.

DraftBoy
12-03-2013, 07:52 AM
And that is part of the problem. It is always the right call, it just isn't always called, and when you do it in a game determining situation, it riles up people who know it isn't always called.

The entire pass interference thing is a roll of the dice in today's NFL. Offensive PI is rarely called and it occurs on nearly every play.
For a few years the entire Patriots short passing game was based on a laser accurate Tom Brady throwing at the exact moment his receivers would push off. All they did was run eight your outs, push off to the inside and Brady would immediately throw it two yards to the outside. Receiver turns after the push off and you have a completion.

Now they run that trips formation and use one of the three to seek out contact. It is illegal as hell and it is never called.

A couple of years ago we went through the "intentionally" underthrown long ball. Receiver turns or slows to adjust causing contact with defender and flag is thrown.
The because its awarded at the spot with auto first down it is a game changing call.

Call it consistent, both ways, and give a huge amount of leeway when it is an obvious game determination situation which it undeniably was during this debacle.

The entire thing infuriates me because it is so damned obvious that is is used as a strategy.

I dont disagree, but blindly arguing for a no call on what was a clear as day foul is just dumb. If you want to argue that Goodwin's calls should of been made then I get that and on at least one I disagree, but there is no way in the world you don't call Robey for that foul regardless of the rest of the game. Nobody was doing that and getting away with it.

TigerJ
12-03-2013, 07:58 AM
That Falcon TD drive was directly aided by this penalty, AND the "illegal touching" penalty a few snaps earlier on Aaron Williams 23 also kept the Falcons drive alive - the replay showed clearly that Aaron Williams wasn't even touching ANYONE!! And the commentators were like "WTF??" like both Marrone and Aaron Williams.

And did anyone watch last night's Giants/Redskins game? The officials made an enormous mistake with under 2 minutes to go in the half. The officials awarded a 1st down to Washington.... when it should have been 3rd and inches. They moved the chains and changed the Downs Markers to "1". So the Redskins call a 1st and 10 type pass play, which is incomplete. THEN the officials made it FOURTH DOWN!! Shanahan went ballistic, which you can't blame him. If a mistake is made, once the ball is snapped, that should be IT! That huge gaffe could have well changed the outcome of the game. IF the officials were going to try and "make it right" then go back to 3rd and inches!

When is the NFL actually going to get full-time professional officials and get beyond rinky-dink part-timers? All the billions spent on stadiums and rosters, etc, and what, they're trying to save a few thousand on Obamacare by keeping the officials under 30 hrs? A guy driving a taxi today shouldn't be an official tonight, IMHO!I remember that one. It was crazy. The only possible explanation is the ref thought he saw someone committing the penalty, but got the number of the jersey wrong. That does sometimes happen. When it does though, the commentators can usually pick the player the ref meant to call the penalty on.

Captain gameboy
12-03-2013, 08:09 AM
I dont disagree, but blindly arguing for a no call on what was a clear as day foul is just dumb. If you want to argue that Goodwin's calls should of been made then I get that and on at least one I disagree, but there is no way in the world you don't call Robey for that foul regardless of the rest of the game. Nobody was doing that and getting away with it.

I've seen worse.
These desperation, pray for a flag plays are worth arguing about, and there are many, many plays that include gross fouls that are not called, especially at the receiver position.

I'm sure I was like a lot of fans who have seen this stuff evolve over the past few years. On that play for the last two seconds, or so, my primary focus was on the ref, only watching the two engaged players in my periphery.
I have been programmed to do that subconsciously because I know what really matters in the final moments.

Historian
12-03-2013, 08:17 AM
At the very least, the "throw the hail mary in the last 30 seconds and pray for a flag" rule should be looked at.

Captain gameboy
12-03-2013, 08:42 AM
The only fair way for it to be handled was for the ref to turn on his mike and announce.

"There is no foul on the play. The Falcons should be ashamed and apologize for running a play this odious and looking for a foul to be called on the 4'11" Robey who had excellent coverage. Additionally the Bills' fans should never be thusly punished since clearly, their's is clearly the better team in this hideous venue."

Game...

jamze132
12-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Bottom line is Robey did grab the collar and should have been called for a penalty. At what point is it taught that DBs grab the WRs collar when the ball is in the air? Especially in the endzone in a crucial part of the game...

gebobs
12-03-2013, 10:38 AM
If that was soccer, Douglas would have gotten a yellow card. He dove to the turf faster than Maradona getting brushed on the ankle. It was ridiculous. The call on Williams was mind boggling.

kishoph
12-03-2013, 11:56 AM
If that was soccer, Douglas would have gotten a yellow card. He dove to the turf faster than Maradona getting brushed on the ankle. It was ridiculous. The call on Williams was mind boggling.

It's not even that Douglass dove, he was pushing off from at least the 3 yard line, Robey grab his collar falling backwards from being pushed. Douglas's offensive pass interference was as blatant as Robey grabbing his collar. You have offensive pass interference and defensive pass interference, no flag, bad call. Then you also had a ref that did made no movement towards his flag, until Douglas started complaining about it, then he reached to grab it.

You can see Douglas's arms extended and Robey falling backwards as he starts to grab the collar. You just don't call 1 foul.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Image1ff.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/Image1ff.png.html)

trapezeus
12-03-2013, 12:23 PM

in the first half they let both teams get away with quite a bit of jostling around. at that point, if you are going to get shoved off the ball routinely as a DB, you begin to think the whistle has been parked away.

literally 3rd and 16 to call something that wasn't egregious when you weren't calling the same thing is odd.

and it's not about screwing the bills. it's just the general level that these refs want to justify their role in the game. so they make it about themselves.

trapezeus
12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
It's not even that Douglass dove, he was pushing off from at least the 3 yard line, Robey grab his collar falling backwards from being pushed. Douglas's offensive pass interference was as blatant as Robey grabbing his collar. You have offensive pass interference and defensive pass interference, no flag, bad call. Then you also had a ref that did made no movement towards his flag, until Douglas started complaining about it, then he reached to grab it.

You can see Douglas's arms extended and Robey falling backwards as he starts to grab the collar. You just don't call 1 foul.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Image1ff.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/Image1ff.png.html)

hands to the face on falcons as well. there is some advantage to being tiny in football, i guess.

Typ0
12-03-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't agree about the leeway given at different times. The refs need to establish how they are going to call a game and do it consistently throughout the game not change modes at different times.

bills_7
12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
At the very least, the "throw the hail mary in the last 30 seconds and pray for a flag" rule should be looked at.

I agree

DraftBoy
12-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I've seen worse.
These desperation, pray for a flag plays are worth arguing about, and there are many, many plays that include gross fouls that are not called, especially at the receiver position.

I'm sure I was like a lot of fans who have seen this stuff evolve over the past few years. On that play for the last two seconds, or so, my primary focus was on the ref, only watching the two engaged players in my periphery.
I have been programmed to do that subconsciously because I know what really matters in the final moments.

But this was not a desperation play for a flag call. They had single coverage on the outside with their #2 WR. The ball was well thrown and easily catchable. While I get your overall point I don't believe it has any relevance with this specific play.

DraftBoy
12-04-2013, 02:12 PM
in the first half they let both teams get away with quite a bit of jostling around. at that point, if you are going to get shoved off the ball routinely as a DB, you begin to think the whistle has been parked away.

literally 3rd and 16 to call something that wasn't egregious when you weren't calling the same thing is odd.

and it's not about screwing the bills. it's just the general level that these refs want to justify their role in the game. so they make it about themselves.

And in what world does that suddenly make grabbing the WR by the collar not a foul?

This is not apples to apples.

gebobs
12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
And in what world does that suddenly make grabbing the WR by the collar not a foul?

In what world is pushing off by a receiver not a penalty?

kishoph
12-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Let's not forget that this is the same officiating crew that saw Alonso get tagged down on his fumble recovery by a phantom Falcon and A. Williams get called for illegal contact on nobody. At first with the Williams call, I thought they may have just got the number wrong, but after watching the Game Rewind's endzone view, there's no Bills defender making contact with any Falcon receiver.

I love the NFL, but I hate the officiating in it, it has become so inconsistent that it's ruining the game. Every play, you have to worry about some dumb flag or a officials ruling. Is it a catch or not ? Who the **** knows, I have no clue what a catch is anymore. If you're going to leave so much of the game up to the officials, get officials that are competent, make them full time, not some old (past their prime) white collar guys waiting on retirement, doing it as a side job, hobby or whatever.

coastal
12-05-2013, 06:06 AM
It should have been offsetting penalties or offensive pass interference.

watch the ref though... he looked like a potato. Someone fell down... throw a flag and point. I did good ma! I made penalty.

back to the group home for milk and cookies.

DraftBoy
12-05-2013, 06:44 AM
In what world is pushing off by a receiver not a penalty?

So one now excuses the other?

I'm not the one saying a foul shouldn't be called here. If its a foul then call it. They did in this circumstance and were right to do so.

coastal
12-05-2013, 06:54 AM
So one now excuses the other?

I'm not the one saying a foul shouldn't be called here. If its a foul then call it. They did in this circumstance and were right to do so.
Painting the windows with your tongue again?

the real foul happened before Robey grabbed his collar. Actually it had been happeneing all game with the ATL receivers.

TacklingDummy
12-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Looks like Robey is mugging Douglas. Douglas has to extend his arms to get Robey off him. While extending his arms, Robey grabs Douglas by the collar dragging him to the ground just as the ball is arriving. Defensive Pass interference every time.

coastal
12-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Bull****... He was facing the ball. Douglas had him by the facemask. He's allowed to maintain his position. Douglas ran right over him.

DraftBoy
12-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Painting the windows with your tongue again?

the real foul happened before Robey grabbed his collar. Actually it had been happeneing all game with the ATL receivers.

Did Robey commit a foul on the play?

And what the hell is a "real foul" anyways...

coastal
12-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Did Robey commit a foul on the play?

And what the hell is a "real foul" anyways...
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1334280866846_9258483.png

trapezeus
12-05-2013, 08:14 AM

back in the day there used to be this thing called "offsetting penalties".

if a db was pushed down and grabbed back, it was a do over.

DB's need to start diving as well. obviously a lot more risk in it if its not called, it goes for a big play. but if robey would have backtracked like3 yards after contact, it would have been obvious that it's a penalty.

WR can get away with embellishing because it's simply incomplete if they flail around. but for a db to do t he same thing, it becomes and easy catch and possible score.

DraftBoy
12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1334280866846_9258483.png

Image didn't show up for me, I'll have to check again when I'm at home.

DraftBoy
12-05-2013, 08:31 AM
back in the day there used to be this thing called "offsetting penalties".

if a db was pushed down and grabbed back, it was a do over.

DB's need to start diving as well. obviously a lot more risk in it if its not called, it goes for a big play. but if robey would have backtracked like3 yards after contact, it would have been obvious that it's a penalty.

WR can get away with embellishing because it's simply incomplete if they flail around. but for a db to do t he same thing, it becomes and easy catch and possible score.

Is the act of grabbing the WR's collar and dragging him down by it a foul?

This concept isn't a complicated one. This isn't about what should of been called for an offsetting penalty.

A flag was thrown for a foul that was committed, that's the end of the point I'm making. Those arguing a foul wasn't committed are incorrect.

I've never said the WR didn't push off, or that a flag shouldn't be thrown for that as well. I'm making a very simple point.

gebobs
12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Looks like Robey is mugging Douglas. Douglas has to extend his arms to get Robey off him. While extending his arms, Robey grabs Douglas by the collar dragging him to the ground just as the ball is arriving. Defensive Pass interference every time.

Dragging him to the ground? LOL...are you serious? If Robey's hand on the collar affected Douglas at all, why did he fall backward AWAY from Robey. I'll tell you. Because he was embellishing. And it wasn't even good embellishment. I give that dive a 3.5. It was ridiculous.

kishoph
12-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Douglas gave him a big push at the 6, then again started shoving him around the 3, Robey didn't grab him till about the 1 and he did not drag him to the ground, Douglas fell the complete opposite way. Robey did commit a foul, but he was trying to stay on Douglas who was pushing him off, the grab comes as Robey is starting to fall backwards.

gebobs
12-05-2013, 12:22 PM
the grab comes as Robey is starting to fall backwards.
Yeah...Robey was just trying to help the klutz from falling and this is the thanks he gets.

TacklingDummy
12-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Dragging him to the ground? LOL...are you serious? If Robey's hand on the collar affected Douglas at all, why did he fall backward AWAY from Robey. I'll tell you. Because he was embellishing. And it wasn't even good embellishment. I give that dive a 3.5. It was ridiculous.

Q: If you are pulling me down and I'm pulling back from the you pulling me down, you sudden let go, which way would I go?

A: Bacwards.

It's like a rubber band. If you pull equally on each side and one side lets go, the band whips back and hits your other hand. It doesn't go forward.

gebobs
12-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Q: If you are pulling me down and I'm pulling back from the you pulling me down, you sudden let go, which way would I go?

A: Bacwards.

It's like a rubber band. If you pull equally on each side and one side lets go, the band whips back and hits your other hand. It doesn't go forward.

Ok...you're not kidding. This is silly. Did you see Robey's hand tug on Douglas' collar so much that he was holding him up? No, you didn't. If you did, his collar would have gotten stretched. What you saw was Douglas push off and Robey's hand tuck into his collar. It didn't impede Douglas whatsoever. Robey was facing the ball and has every right to make a play for it so incidental contact like this is perfectly legal. That's all it was...incidental.

Then Douglas missed the catch and flopped on the ground. Complete total embellishment. I watched it in slo-mo and game speed about a dozen times.

Captain gameboy
12-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Just saw the call for the Patriots against the Browns.

Same bullstuff.

The NFL needs to stop this raping.

Unbelievable.

imbondz
12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
they need to change the rule because the refs don't understand how to call it

YardRat
12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Just horrid.

Captain gameboy
12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Just play out the first 59 mins and then ask the refs who wins.

The NFL has a serious problem.