2 Part Question: Should Hackett be here next yr, Does Marrone hv Guts to Fire him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

2 Part Question: Should Hackett be here next yr, Does Marrone hv Guts to Fire him?

Hackett's offense has been really easy to figure, out. NFL coaches are going in at halftime and making adjustments that he has no answer for. The stats Chris Brown put up on BB.com are alarming. We are 6-24 on third down in the second half. Meaning, Hackett has no backup plan. He comes into every game with one plan, line up in shotgun, fake the handoff and throw, or give the ball to CJ or Fred. Its so predictable its almost insane that he believes it will work.

If you look at if carefully, we got points against the Falcons because we ran the ball well on a weak run D, and we scored against the Jets because they didnt respect our speed on the outside.

Hackett needs to show a more dynamic offense....

Now, even if its clear Hackett should go, I am doubting Marrone would have the guts to let his boy go.
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: 2 Part Question: Should Hackett be here next yr, Does Marrone hv Guts to Fire him

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
    Hackett's offense has been really easy to figure, out. NFL coaches are going in at halftime and making adjustments that he has no answer for. The stats Chris Brown put up on BB.com are alarming. We are 6-24 on third down in the second half. Meaning, Hackett has no backup plan. He comes into every game with one plan, line up in shotgun, fake the handoff and throw, or give the ball to CJ or Fred. Its so predictable its almost insane that he believes it will work.

If you look at if carefully, we got points against the Falcons because we ran the ball well on a weak run D, and we scored against the Jets because they didnt respect our speed on the outside.

Now, even if its clear Hackett should go, I am doubting Marrone would have the guts to let his boy go.
    What I don't get is fans that want to wait and wait and wait for Manuel to show something, but to fire Hackett so quickly. Hackett is learning to. You have to give him some degree of learning curve also.

I'm not really a fan of his. And much less a fan of Deer-in-the-headlights Manuel. So my question is should we let Manuel go? Answer: yes. The Bills are struggling on 3rd down because the QB sucks.
    Last edited by swiper; 12-04-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

Re: 2 Part Question: Should Hackett be here next yr, Does Marrone hv Guts to Fire him

Every single 1st down play is a draw to Spiller up the middle.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

i think you'd need to see the all 22 film and see all the snaps again. how many times did the play call and what was executed match up? if it was a lot, and we were that bad, he might need to go.

if they don't match up, then he might be ok and its the other players that need to step up.

The bills did score 31 points on Sunday.

Despite our lofty hopes, the bills are still a wildly undertalented team. after finally spending a couple years picking defense, we got a strong front 7, but it's not excessively deep. we got lucky that there weren't too many injuries upfront. For the OL, we don't have a very good line. There is only so much you can do when two very good runningbacks struggle to have the seasons they had before.

At the end, i would rather have a predictable team that can impose its will than one that needs to constantly scheme to win. Because the "impose the will" teams will be the ones you can depend on in the 4th quarter. They run the clock when that's what's needed. They exhaust another team. The scheming teams sometimes just fall apart and get it wrong.

Hackett doesn't have the talent on offense to impose their will. the line is too weak for it.

like i said, unless the all 22 film shows some inconsistency in his methods, i think he deserves another year.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Kevin Gilbride is one of the most predictable O-coordinators in the league. He has prospered in NY because he has had (prior to this season) a good QB.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Hackett put this team in a position to beat the Chiefs and the Falcons, the players didn't execute. He's also had to keep things conservative for most of the season. I think he's earned a pass.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

The calls that drive me crazy are 3rd down, 1-3 yards...and he calls a deep low percentage sideline throw that rarely ever connects.
              Why not run Fred, swing pass to Fred or quick slant to anyone ?

Sometimes I think Hackett has a Madden trophy next to his bed.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                • Sep 2004

Calling for the OC after we put up 31 points and over 400 yards over offense? Seems like a thing Bills fans would do.

How about the DC who's embarrassment of a showing contributed largely to the loss Sunday, allowing the Falcons to have their best rushing day of the season and score the most points in a game they have all season?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
                  Calling for the OC after we put up 31 points and over 400 yards over offense? Seems like a thing Bills fans would do.

How about the DC who's embarrassment of a showing contributed largely to the loss Sunday, allowing the Falcons to have their best rushing day of the season and score the most points in a game they have all season?
                  This!

THey are also forgetting the injuries Hackett has had to deal with at the Qb position.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

I don't like Hackett's system. Its all based on one element and its easy to figure out. By the third quarter any DC that is any good has it solved. I just think Manuel needs to be learning a more traditional passing offense so he can progress.

Where are the screens? How is it possible we have 2 of the best receiving RBs in the NFL and we suck at getting them the ball? We have no designed swing passes, we dont split out CJ or FJ and iso them on slower LBs. We don't play enough under center stuff and use play-action to highlight the strength of our run game.

It really makes no sense the way the offense operates. Gailey despite the fact that he didn't get Spiller the ball enough worked his offense around CJ and FJ and was very creative with his screens and spread offense.

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

To be fair, that was against a team that gives up an average of 28.3 points per game overall and 30.5 points per road game. they aren't a very good defense.

That said, it is silly to talk of dismissing Hackett. People love to question play-calling, but he deserves more than 3/4ths a season to prove himself. One of the biggest problems with the Bills has been the lack of stability, they are always changing. You can't build something if you are tearing it down after one season.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

I don't like Hackett's system. Its all based on one element and its easy to figure out. By the third quarter any DC that is any good has it solved. I just think Manuel needs to be learning a more traditional passing offense so he can progress.

Where are the screens? How is it possible we have 2 of the best receiving RBs in the NFL and we suck at getting them the ball? We have no designed swing passes, we dont split out CJ or FJ and iso them on slower LBs. We don't play enough under center stuff and use play-action to highlight the strength of our run game.

It really makes no sense the way the offense operates. Gailey despite the fact that he didn't get Spiller the ball enough worked his offense around CJ and FJ and was very creative with his screens and spread offense.
                        Do you even know that in Chan's 3RD year as the HC the bills were ranked 19 while in Hacketts 1st year with rookies (QB's) and an injury riddled QB position they are already ranked 16th? I know ranking does not paint an entire picture but neither does your opinion. Don't dismiss the circumstances I just pointed out.

The PAtriots , jets and fins would've loved Gailey. They stopped his offense several times. The jets' D would have most likely swept us this year.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          Do you even know that in Chan's 3RD year as the HC the bills were ranked 19 while in Hacketts 1st year with rookies (QB's) and an injury riddled QB position they are already ranked 16th? I know ranking does not paint an entire picture but neither does your opinion. Don't dismiss the circumstances I just pointed out.

The PAtriots , jets and fins would've loved Gailey. They stopped his offense several times. The jets' D would have most likely swept us this year.
                          I think Gailey had less to work with than Hackett. Again, I just don't like this offense.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I think Gailey had less to work with than Hackett. Again, I just don't like this offense.

thats because he chose Fitz as his no.1.

What do you mean he had less? He had a more experienced qb playing in his 3rd year with the same offense. Hackett has had Tuel, EJ and THad. Only Thad had 1 game experience prior to this season. Hackett also has 2 rookies opposite Stevie.

Why not compare Gailey's 1st year here and HAckett's 1st? Not even close despite Trent/Fitz vs. EJ/Tuel/Thad.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not impressed by HAcketts O either but I'm not ready to run him out of town just yet. It's hard to succeed when your QB who was said to be raw coming out of the draft is still in his learning stage and then gets injured and replaced by inexperienced qb's.
                            Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM.
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

Hackett is going knowhere.
                              I think we need to get EJ more confident and get a healthy offense.
                              I really think the Bills will draft a WR early in the draft.

I really think EJ just needs to get more confident....
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X