PDA

View Full Version : Nolan wants to build around Miller

Meathead
12-05-2013, 08:38 AM
When Henrik Lundqvist leads his New York Rangers team onto the ice at First Niagara Center tonight, he’ll do so with a new sense of stability.

The goaltender signed a seven-year, $59.5 million contract extension on Wednesday. And that leads to questions around the Buffalo Sabres about the future of Ryan Miller.

Miller is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Do the Sabres want to use him as an asset (see: trade bait) or build the franchise around him?

As far as interim head coach Ted Nolan is concerned, you build your future around Miller.

“You look at all the championship teams and it starts from goaltending out. ... I prefer you build around him rather than use him as a pawn to try and get something to make you better,” Nolan said. “You learn to deal with the now as a coach and we’ve got one of the better goaltenders in the world here and I’d like to build around him myself.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-notebook-nolan-wants-to-build-around-miller-20131204

i would be thrilled to keep ryan here, been my pref all along

OpIv37
12-05-2013, 08:43 AM
This is stupid.

Nothing against Miller- he's been great for us and in a perfect world, I'd hate to lose him.

But we don't live in a perfect world. We live in the real one.

Miller is 33 and exiting his prime. He still has a few years left, but he will be well into the inevitable age-related decline before this cluster**** of a team is ready to compete on any serious level, and the team will be stuck looking for a franchise goaltender anyway (or else become the next Washington Capitals). Meanwhile, it robs Miller of his last chance to get a Cup.

I just really don't see the benefit of keeping Miller to either side at this point.

The King
12-05-2013, 09:02 AM
I agree with Op. Miller is a terrific goalie but it's going to take years to get a team in front of him. By the time they do, he's going to be run down. Miller is also carrying a GAA of about 2.80 over the last 3 seasons. So I am not sure what the market will get you. People know he's talented but I don't think anyone will be breaking down the Sabres door to get him, so Nolan might just think rolling with with the all-star net minder might be better than losing him for a late 1st or prospects.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I agree with Op. Miller is a terrific goalie but it's going to take years to get a team in front of him. By the time they do, he's going to be run down. Miller is also carrying a GAA of about 2.80 over the last 3 seasons. So I am not sure what the market will get you. People know he's talented but I don't think anyone will be breaking down the Sabres door to get him, so Nolan might just think rolling with with the all-star net minder might be better than losing him for a late 1st or prospects.

with all due respect, GAA is one of the worst stats to gauge a goaltender by. its reflective of the defense around him, which has been mediocre at best much of the past few seasons.

its the opposite end of martin brodeur, who is largely a product of a defensive system.

The King
12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
with all due respect, GAA is one of the worst stats to gauge a goaltender by. its reflective of the defense around him, which has been mediocre at best much of the past few seasons.

its the opposite end of martin brodeur, who is largely a product of a defensive system.

I realize this, but I think you'll have a hard time finding any team giving up anything for a 33 year-old goalie with an awful GAA. The Devils gave up the 9th pick for Corey Schneider who is way more attractive at this point than Miller. So how can you can trade him and get nothing in return.

Nolan has no choice but to ride Miller.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I realize this, but I think you'll have a hard time finding any team giving up anything for a 33 year-old goalie with an awful GAA. The Devils gave up the 9th pick for Corey Schneider who is way more attractive at this point than Miller. So how can you can trade him and get nothing in return.

Nolan has no choice but to ride Miller.

eh, rolosons GAA was higher for the wild prior to his trade with edmonton.

a team knows millers talent, and they know hes playing well this year on a terrible team. it depends mainly on the team hes traded to. do they want him around for a few years? just to make a run? are there more than one teams going for him?

miller could fetch a nice return, but there are other factors involved.

coastal
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm already on record in support of miller staying.

meathead and Nolan are stealing my material.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
no matter what happens, the sabres have to move a goalie at some point. hackett is ready for NHL action.

The King
12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
eh, rolosons GAA was higher for the wild prior to his trade with edmonton.

a team knows millers talent, and they know hes playing well this year on a terrible team. it depends mainly on the team hes traded to. do they want him around for a few years? just to make a run? are there more than one teams going for him?

miller could fetch a nice return, but there are other factors involved.

There's zero chance he can return his value. Zero.

SkateZilla
12-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Miller is gone, face it.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 01:01 PM
There's zero chance he can return his value. Zero.

probably right. but what is his value? a top 10 pick? 7th rounder?

depending on the team, the sabres should expect a late first rounder, or maybe multiple second rounders.

The King
12-05-2013, 01:08 PM
He's a starting goalie and a good one at that. To let him go for a player that might be a contributor in 3 years is crazy. And then you have to go and find a starting goalie.

trapezeus
12-05-2013, 01:18 PM
it's not a bad idea to claim he's your guy so that the offers have to step up if they really want miller.

he's kind of name brand product. it's great to have him, but he's not going to be the guy for very much longer. I would rather have more to work with, struggle again next year possibly with bad goaltending, and then do a FA goalie signing when it starts turning around

also note that the last 3 years, when miller goes out, all the players take a bigger responsibility in back checking and playing better. So for a young roster, it might be the best way to see who really wants it, and who gets by with great goaltending.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 01:29 PM
He's a starting goalie and a good one at that. To let him go for a player that might be a contributor in 3 years is crazy. And then you have to go and find a starting goalie.

well, thats kind of what a rebuild is.

if the sabres go, im comfortable with enroth and hackett, for a short time anyways. i believe hackett has a higher ceiling then enroth, but if im the sabres, i draft a goalie high this draft. should have gotten fucale. fudge they should have gotten fucale!

- - - Updated - - -

well, thats kind of what a rebuild is.

if the sabres go, im comfortable with enroth and hackett, for a short time anyways. i believe hackett has a higher ceiling then enroth, but if im the sabres, i draft a goalie high this draft. should have gotten fucale. fudge they should have gotten fucale!

trapezeus
12-05-2013, 01:46 PM
i kind of think the sabres next franchise goalie isn't hackett or enroth. i think it's the guy currently getting minutes in rochester. he sounds like the guy with a higher ceiling.

DetDannyWilliams
12-05-2013, 03:03 PM
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/84730606/12-5-hockey-hotline-hr-1.htm 5:30 in Sly and Petey start talking about goaltending

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
i kind of think the sabres next franchise goalie isn't hackett or enroth. i think it's the guy currently getting minutes in rochester. he sounds like the guy with a higher ceiling.

lieuwen? he doesnt project to have a high ceiling. hes also hacketts backup in rochester.

one prospect that does intrigue me ullmark in sweden. having a solid year for MODO in sweden. his ceiling doesnt project to much, but some suggest his ceiling isnt fixed yet. hes projecting higher then previously thought.

trapezeus
12-05-2013, 04:17 PM
i thought there was a guy markov (sp?) that is supposed to be very good. maybe he isn't in the AHL...but he's in the sabres system somewhere. i've read good things about him.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM
i thought there was a guy markov (sp?) that is supposed to be very good. maybe he isn't in the AHL...but he's in the sabres system somewhere. i've read good things about him.

hes a long shot, but yes, hes in the system. has some potential.

Crisis
12-05-2013, 07:14 PM
If there's any coach that knows how to keep a star goalie happy, it's Nolan.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 07:20 PM
If there's any coach that knows how to keep a star goalie happy, it's Nolan.

he doesnt want to keep miller around for his play...

Meathead
12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
interesting that ted didnt pump up enroth after his good start v nj. he criticized him for the prev game but so far i havent seen that he praised his nj performance so that seems intentional

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
enroth has decent numbers, but i think hes hit his ceiling. and hes inconsistent. enroth is not an upgrade over miller in anything except age.

trapezeus
12-06-2013, 07:30 AM
marakov got high marks for being good for his group but went undrafted for reasons unbeknownst to the writers talking about him.

i get it that he's young, but by the time this team is ready to be consistently good with a stanley cup run in them, he's going to be early 20's.

Miller's departure would push everyone up a slot for experience. if enroth truly just needs to play regularly to be average to good, let's see what that's like. if hackett can unseed him, let's see it. if marakov can get AHL time and show signs that he's the real deal, lets take a look now, while sucking is somewhat acceptable.

Ginger Vitis
12-06-2013, 08:06 AM
i kind of think the sabres next franchise goalie isn't hackett or enroth.

I agree I don't think Enroth or Hackett are quite good enough to be top 10 or even top 15 goaltender. JATM I know you like JT Compher and I hope he turns out to be a good player for the Sabres someday but I still say Regier should have taken Zach Fucale in the 2nd round instead of Compher. Yesterday on TSN the talking heads were observing Zach Fucale is capable of going the whole junior tournament of standing on his head and shutting opposing countries down for long stretches something Canada has not had from there goalies in the last 4 junior tournaments.

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I agree I don't think Enroth or Hackett are quite good enough to be top 10 or even top 15 goaltender. JATM I know you like JT Compher and I hope he turns out to be a good player for the Sabres someday but I still say Regier should have taken Zach Fucale in the 2nd round instead of Compher. Yesterday on TSN the talking heads were observing Zach Fucale is capable of going the whole junior tournament of standing on his head and shutting opposing countries down for long stretches something Canada has not had from there goalies in the last 4 junior tournaments.

i wont argue with that at all. jt compher is looking good, but over fucale? no. i was hoping for fucale in the first round. fucale could be a franchise goaltender. jt compher looks like he will be a two way 3rd liner with scoring ability. maybe a second liner.

- - - Updated - - -

bill hoppe article on miller this morning. miller wants actions not words.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/franchise-goalie-ryan-miller-wants-actions-not-words-from-sabres/