PDA

View Full Version : interesting take on the 2014 draft importance

trapezeus
12-06-2013, 01:28 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1841498-buffalo-sabres-why-the-2014-draft-is-the-key-to-the-rebuild

really kind of lays out how exciting this draft or the next draft is based on the woahs of the islanders. They need to keep sucking. either way the Sabres will make out like bandits.

OpIv37
12-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I used to say "you know you're a Buffalo fan if your football team can out score your hockey team" (and yes, there actually were several weekends where the Bills would only manage 3 points in a game whereas the Sabres would put up 4+).

Now, it's "you know you're a Buffalo fan if you're already talking about the hockey off-season before the football regular season is over."

Or, "you know you're a Buffalo fan if both your football team and your hockey team are eliminated from playoff contention in early December.
Gotta love Buffalo sports.

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2013, 02:16 PM
i agree with this, especially in trading later firsts for younger players. derek stepan is a pipe dream, but thats what this organization needs to do. go after younger, impact players. early to mid 20s who will be around for a while (hopefully)

floflo, what are the chances new york deals stepan for a first?

Downinfloflo
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
i agree with this, especially in trading later firsts for younger players. derek stepan is a pipe dream, but thats what this organization needs to do. go after younger, impact players. early to mid 20s who will be around for a while (hopefully)

floflo, what are the chances new york deals stepan for a first?

About as good as seeing big foot riding a unicorn through Atlantis.

Brad Richards will be on the market in the off season, But I have a feeling he want's to play for a Canadien team.

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
i dont think richards is what the sabres need. i mean, dont get me wrong, he would help the team, but in a rebuild? hes what? 33?

coastal
12-06-2013, 02:54 PM
This offseason isn't the time to target free agents, restricted or not.

Let the tank play out through next year... get your three or four high first round picks over next two years onto the team... then scout the free agent talent.

Downinfloflo
12-06-2013, 02:54 PM
i dont think richards is what the sabres need. i mean, dont get me wrong, he would help the team, but in a rebuild? hes what? 33?

You still need those type of players on your team.

A bunch of 20 somethings is a disaster waiting to happen.

OpIv37
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Let the tank play out through next year... get your three or four high first round picks over next two years onto the team... then scout the free agent talent.
The problem is that the new CBA has a cap floor and the only significant contract that will be on the books after this year is Leino. The Sabres are going to have to spend somewhere.

I agree with your premise- this team has been broken down and needs to be rebuilt through the draft and player development. Trying to Snyder in some high-priced FA's won't solve the problem. I just don't know what they are gonna do about the cap floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Look no further than the current Sabres record to see that.

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM

theres no doubt. but as a rebuilding team, i wouldnt trade high draft picks for an aging player. i think you can acquire leadership through free agency this offseason, like the pens did getting leclair out of the lockout.

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2013, 03:15 PM

i think the sabres should target free agents. just not high end free agents. get a vet guy or two, for a year or so. someone who will help, but wont set the rebuild off track.

Downinfloflo
12-06-2013, 03:28 PM
theres no doubt. but as a rebuilding team, i wouldnt trade high draft picks for an aging player. i think you can acquire leadership through free agency this offseason, like the pens did getting leclair out of the lockout.

He's going to be a free agent..

He will be bought out after this season.

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2013, 03:50 PM
He's going to be a free agent..

He will be bought out after this season.

so will leino. so maybe use leino money on richards.

ckg927
12-08-2013, 03:55 AM

Just look at Edmonton if you don't believe me. They've got a boatload of 20-somethings and they're still lousy.

Night Train
12-08-2013, 06:39 AM
I'll give Lala time to do something. He just got here and must evaluate the roster...deciding who to actually keep.

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 12:38 PM
heres a nice read on your next buffalo sabre

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Reinhart+appears+ready+right/9243079/story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canwest%2FF6949+%28The+Province+-+Canucks+%2F+Hockey%29

coastal
12-09-2013, 01:23 PM
heres a nice read on your next buffalo sabre

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Reinhart+appears+ready+right/9243079/story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canwest%2FF6949+%28The+Province+-+Canucks+%2F+Hockey%29
Hopefully followed by McDavid...

JATMtheJATM
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Hopefully followed by McDavid...

im trying to not get ahead of myself too much by day dreaming about drafting mcdavid. i only have so many clean pairs of shorts.

coastal
12-09-2013, 01:55 PM
im trying to not get ahead of myself too much by day dreaming about drafting mcdavid. i only have so many clean pairs of shorts.I hear ya... let's win the Reinhart lotto and go from there.

JATMtheJATM
12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I hear ya... let's win the Reinhart lotto and go from there.

reinhart himself i believe is a foundational building block. so him alone at this point next season would be a dramatic improvement to the long term landscape of this franchise.

trapezeus
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
reinhart reads like he is a Toews type guy. perhaps his natural skill/leadership can pull a little more of the ennis' of the world. and if paired with a top notch player after the 2 years of complete suck, the sabres could have a legit number 1 line.

the question is how quickly could a new GM or lafontaine put together lines 2-4 while we had these guys.

and honestly, if hte sabres develop the current set of draftees, they might have the covetted 1A and 1B line.

JATMtheJATM
12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
reinhart reads like he is a Toews type guy. perhaps his natural skill/leadership can pull a little more of the ennis' of the world. and if paired with a top notch player after the 2 years of complete suck, the sabres could have a legit number 1 line.

the question is how quickly could a new GM or lafontaine put together lines 2-4 while we had these guys.

and honestly, if hte sabres develop the current set of draftees, they might have the covetted 1A and 1B line.

alot of the 2-4 line guys are potentially already in the system and team. grigo (if he comes around) girgs, armia could all be on the second like. hodgson is out there too. foligno, ennis could be on a third scoring line, should ennis continue to play well. kea is a decent prospect. larsson. so the sabres have a lot of hope for the future should they pan out.

don137
12-09-2013, 05:33 PM
I think the Sabres have a 25% chance of landing the #1 pick if they finish with the worst record. While I would love Reinhart I will not get excited for him until the Sabres officially get the number 1 pick.

Would love to have the Sabres get #1 and have the Islanders defer to increase the chances for McDavid.

JATMtheJATM
12-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I think the Sabres have a 25% chance of landing the #1 pick if they finish with the worst record. While I would love Reinhart I will not get excited for him until the Sabres officially get the number 1 pick.

Would love to have the Sabres get #1 and have the Islanders defer to increase the chances for McDavid.

depends on where new jersey ends up. if they miss the playoffs, only 13 teams have a chance at the lottery.

but, say the sabres pick second and get ekblad. oh, darn. hes a solid number 2. id take either.

trapezeus
12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
JtJ, any writeups on Ekblad (sp?). what's his story?

JATMtheJATM
12-10-2013, 10:56 AM
JtJ, any writeups on Ekblad (sp?). what's his story?

at the OHL game i went to a few weeks ago, they handed out an issue of "prospects magazine" and he was the cover. there was a lengthy article on him. basically, it talked about his disappointment of being left off the u-18 roster when he was 16, and the next year, he came back with a vengeance. and how hes poised to be a top 3 pick in the entry draft this june. hes a big body who skates well, has offensive impact, and hits hard. he could be a blueline cornerstone. problem is, they already have risto to be that cornerstone, and they drafted zad too. they need a forward cornerstone. if the isles decided to let buffalo take their first this draft, take ekblad if you can with reinhart. otherwise. trade up.

Ginger Vitis
12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
hes a big body who skates well, has offensive impact, and hits hard.

Yep.. I think a Dion Phaneuf type but with a little more offensive upside or a Ryan Suter type but bigger than Ryan and more physical precense. Im hoping Eckblad makes the Canadian junior team although I woudnt expect Aaron to get a ton of minutes simply because he would be the youngest defensemen on the squad but it would be good to see him play nonetheless

trapezeus
12-12-2013, 07:49 AM
well as much as darcy was totally out of touch, some of his trades have had huge impacts. this vanek deal might have really been a blessing.