PDA

View Full Version : EJ Manuel is the Bills QB of the future

Don't Panic
12-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I know that is the last thing that some want to read, and a sign of hope to others. Either way, it is as near to a fact as possible. Debating it is useless. This is the Dougs' guy, and he will be for the foreseeable future.

I for one think he's going to turn out to be a pretty good QB, but that's irrelevant really. The point is, he's the guy. I say this because the last thing most of us need is 4 months of "draft a QB" threads. It's not happening. Put your energy elsewhere if that's how you planned on using it.

WagonCircler
12-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I say this because the last thing most of us need is 4 months of "draft a QB" threads. It's not happening. Put your energy elsewhere if that's how you planned on using it.

Thanks SO MUCH for the unsolicited advice.

Always appreciated.

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Bills need a right tackle and left guard in the 2nd and 3rd round. Wide receiver, tight end, or linebacker in the first.

TacklingDummy
12-07-2013, 07:24 AM
He's Nix guy.
If Doug wants a future longer than 3 years in Buffalo he better find a different guy than what some consider the 2nd worst rated QB in the league.

Don't Panic
12-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks SO MUCH for the unsolicited advice.

Always appreciated.

Right. Because there's never any unsolicited advice around here... its one thing to have an opinion, its another to lobby for something that has zero chance of happening.

Don't Panic
12-07-2013, 07:48 AM
He's Nix guy.
If Doug wants a future longer than 3 years in Buffalo he better find a different guy than what some consider the 2nd worst rated QB in the league.

He's got a 45.5 QBR... as a rookie. Anyone who considers him the 2nd worst rated QB in the league needs their head examined.

stuckincincy
12-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I know that is the last thing that some want to read, and a sign of hope to others. Either way, it is as near to a fact as possible. Debating it is useless. This is the Dougs' guy, and he will be for the foreseeable future.

I for one think he's going to turn out to be a pretty good QB, but that's irrelevant really. The point is, he's the guy. I say this because the last thing most of us need is 4 months of "draft a QB" threads. It's not happening. Put your energy elsewhere if that's how you planned on using it.

I think he's done a fair job. They have been conservative with play calls - IMO, and are doing a decent job with him so far. He sure could have been put into positions for more ints and sacks.

TacklingDummy
12-07-2013, 07:57 AM
He's got a 45.5 QBR... as a rookie. Anyone who considers him the 2nd worst rated QB in the league needs their head examined.

Manuel (-19.4) is the second-worst-graded quarterback – right behind another rookie, Geno Smith – and had only one game ‘in the green’ so far, the first one of the season vs. New England. He is much more comfortable when throwing quick passes that allows him getting into rhythm. Last week vs. Atlanta, Manuel threw 12 times when he had 2.6 seconds or more and completed just four of them with a rating of 54.5. When the Time in Pocket was 2.5 seconds or less he completed 70% of his passes with a rating of 106.0. For the season, Manuel has a 64.9% and 96.4 rating in shorter dropbacks to 48.5% and 62.0 in longer ones.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/06/3tfo-bills-buccaneers-week-14/

Goobylal
12-07-2013, 07:57 AM

Exactly. All we need are more stupid posts about how the Bills should replace a quarterback they just took and who only has eight games under his belt. Nevermind the 2014 QB draft class looks weak and nothing like the bonanza people were predicting prior to the start of 2014 season.

Thurmal
12-07-2013, 07:59 AM
He's gotta start pulling the trigger. Way too tentative, way too afraid of making mistakes. I don't mind a pick here and there if it means he's not checking down every single play.

Bangarang
12-07-2013, 08:31 AM
He's Nix guy.

You assume he's Nix's guy.

JohnnyGold
12-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Manuel (-19.4) is the second-worst-graded quarterback – right behind another rookie, Geno Smith – and had only one game ‘in the green’ so far, the first one of the season vs. New England. He is much more comfortable when throwing quick passes that allows him getting into rhythm. Last week vs. Atlanta, Manuel threw 12 times when he had 2.6 seconds or more and completed just four of them with a rating of 54.5. When the Time in Pocket was 2.5 seconds or less he completed 70% of his passes with a rating of 106.0. For the season, Manuel has a 64.9% and 96.4 rating in shorter dropbacks to 48.5% and 62.0 in longer ones.

i love statistics. work with them for a living, in fact.

and don't take this personally,

but that's some of the stupidist ***** i think i've ever read about the bills. how does analyzing passes where manual had more than 2.6 seconds (wtf?) show us ANYTHING functional about Manuel as a QB? maybe his receivers aren't good enough at breaking off their routes and getting open? maybe one side of the line is collapsing and forcing him to shift either to his left or right? it's just a completely irrelevant statistic that has so many confounding variables, i find it odd that anyone would hold that up as some sort of referendum on EJ's career thus far.

GvilleBills
12-07-2013, 09:10 AM
EJ is what he is.
He's a guy with all the physical abilities except one...accuracy.
All of the intangibles except one...killer instinct.

I don't know that these faults are correctable, in anyone.
But he's our guy for now, let's put the best OL we can in front of him.

SquishDaFish
12-07-2013, 09:23 AM
He's the future and a Damn bright future it well be

Jan Reimers
12-07-2013, 09:32 AM
The guy has played 8 games, For Crying Out Loud, and he's been a little gimpy in some of them.

I would say his future as a great QB - or an average QB, or a bust - is in the category of an unqualified maybe.

SpikedLemonade
12-07-2013, 10:35 AM
EJ has shown enough already this year to be the undisputed starting QB on Opening Day next year.

After that, who knows.

DynaPaul
12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
I just hope this kid works out and plays better next year than he did this year so far. I can't take much more of the perennial rebuilding...

Mr. Pink
12-07-2013, 11:56 AM
He gave one really good game, a couple of serviceable games and some stinkers.

As long as he doesn't regress back to a Pittsburgh or Baltimore performances I won't clamor to draft another QB come offseason. If he does, it's on.

There's enough promise shown with the Jets game, Pats game and Panthers comeback to think he might be a combination of that type of player for an entire season barring regression.

Even last week, while he wasn't spectacular, he played well enough for a W that was fumbled away...twice.

kishoph
12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
He's Nix guy.

You assume he's Nix's guy.

No he assumes he's gonna fail, so he's a Nix guy, but I suppose if rookies like Alonso and Woods continue to do good, they'll be guys that Whaley picked.

WagonCircler
12-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Right. Because there's never any unsolicited advice around here... its one thing to have an opinion, its another to lobby for something that has zero chance of happening.

Advice on thread starting? Asinine. It's a ***** message board.

This guy missed serious time due to TWO knee injuries and the Bills had to start two undrafted FAs.

But nooooo, God forbid we talk about drafting a QB. We'd offend your delicate sensibilities.

You don't want to read the threads? Ignore them.

Jeff1220
12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I agree with the original post that hoping for the Bills to draft a QB that could legitimately unseat EJ is wasted energy, and you'd just be setting yourself up for (predictable) disappointment and rage.

WagonCircler
12-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I agree with the original post that hoping for the Bills to draft a QB that could legitimately unseat EJ is wasted energy, and you'd just be setting yourself up for (predictable) disappointment and rage.

Yes. Let's settle for mediocrity, just so we can fortify ourselves against disappointment.

Good plan.

TigerJ
12-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Of course he is, until or unless he proves he's not capable of filling that role. I thought it was obvious.

Jeff1220
12-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes. Let's settle for mediocrity, just so we can fortify ourselves against disappointment.

Good plan.

You don't seem to understand. We do not make the draft picks. We have no influence on picks at all. You can put all your energy into hoping that Santa Claus is gonna put five million dollars into your stocking this Christmas. Then, when it doesn't happen, you can get all upset and act like Santa effed up.
It doesn't change the fact that we know it's not gonna happen, and no matter how much you hope for it, it doesn't really make it any more likely. But since I'm saying that, I must be settling for not being a millionaire.

Don't Panic
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Advice on time investment. As in find something better to do with it. As in there is NO CHANCE these guys draft a QB in the top 3 rounds, if not at all.

This guy missed serious time due to TWO knee injuries and the Bills had to start two undrafted FAs.

If you want an insurance policy fro Manuel then you should be talking about signing a veteran FA QB, not drafting one.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2013, 01:52 PM

But nooooo, God forbid we talk about drafting a QB. We'd offend your delicate sensibilities.

You don't want to read the threads? Ignore them.

That's another thing that would make me want a different QB, if he succumbs to another knee injury the next 4 games.

It doesn't matter how good you are, if you can't stay on the field.

kishoph
12-07-2013, 03:13 PM
IMO what would be worse than Manuel failing, would be the Bills giving up on him too early and then having him go someplace else and succeed. It takes more than half a camp and 7-8 games to develop. If Manuel shows no improvement this time next season, then start looking for someone else, right now there are other holes that need to be addressed with this upcoming draft.

better days
12-07-2013, 03:44 PM
That's another thing that would make me want a different QB, if he succumbs to another knee injury the next 4 games.

I would agree with that. If EJ can't stay healthy over the next 4 games, I think the Bills should look at other options for QB.

I would not mind seeing a QB drafted in the 2nd rnd or later either as a back up & competition for EJ even if he does not get injured.

Albany,n.y.
12-07-2013, 03:48 PM
IMO what would be worse than Manuel failing, would be the Bills giving up on him too early and then having him go someplace else and succeed.

That almost never happens with a QB taken in the 1st 2 rounds. The only one I can think of is Kerry Collins, who was drinking way too much with Carolina. Brett Favre was traded by a team with an entrenched QB and was traded for a 1st round pick, so it's not like Atlanta gave up on him, they just got an offer that they couldn't refuse.
Teams that give up early know the guy's a bust (see Brian Brohm, cut before his 2nd season), otherwise he gets a pretty long leash (like JP, who was with the Bills well beyond his expiration date).

better days
12-07-2013, 03:52 PM
IMO what would be worse than Manuel failing, would be the Bills giving up on him too early and then having him go someplace else and succeed. It takes more than half a camp and 7-8 games to develop. If Manuel shows no improvement this time next season, then start looking for someone else, right now there are other holes that need to be addressed with this upcoming draft.

EJ will get every opportunity to prove himself. But he has to prove he can stay healthy along with the ability to play well.

better days
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
That almost never happens with a QB taken in the 1st 2 rounds. The only one I can think of is Kerry Collins, who was drinking way too much with Carolina. Brett Favre was traded by a team with an entrenched QB and was traded for a 1st round pick, so it's not like Atlanta gave up on him, they just got an offer that they couldn't refuse.
Teams that give up early know the guy's a bust (see Brian Brohm, cut before his 2nd season), otherwise he gets a pretty long leash (like JP, who was with the Bills well beyond his expiration date).

JP was only a Bill for the duration of his Rookie Contract. I don't think he was kept too long, but his Coaches were kept well beyond their expiration date..

Albany,n.y.
12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
I would agree with that. If EJ can't stay healthy over the next 4 games, I think the Bills should look at other options for QB.

I would not mind seeing a QB drafted in the 2nd rnd or later either as a back up & competition for EJ even if he does not get injured.

Back in the early 1980s the Bills were drafting QBs all the time:
1980: Gene Bradley 2B pick 37, Todd Krueger 8 pick 202
1982: Matt Kofler 2 pick 48, Luc Tousignant 8 pick 218
1983: Jim Kelly 1 pick 14
1985: Frank Reich 3 pick 57
1986: Brian McLure 12 pick 313

sudzy
12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Yes, EJ is the Bills QB of the future. So we should all be prepare for at least 5 more years without playoffs. Nothing we shouldn't be use to.

Albany,n.y.
12-07-2013, 04:08 PM
JP was only a Bill for the duration of his Rookie Contract. I don't think he was kept too long, but his Coaches were kept well beyond their expiration date..

He had no business being on that 2008 team.

better days
12-07-2013, 04:13 PM
He had no business being on that 2008 team.

Well, Trent & the HC had no business being on that team either.

TrEd FTW
12-07-2013, 04:25 PM

So his recent game against the Jets wasn't "in the green"? Seriously? PFF is a load of crap. That said, I do believe the Jets game is the only truly good one Manuel has played this year. I'm far from sold.

Night Train
12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
At least the immediate future, unless he suffers a bad injury.

With LB, DT, OG, TE and more as real needs now, QB isn't on the Bills list.

gr8slayer
12-07-2013, 06:12 PM
It's way too early to have a solid opinion of the guy, but I'm happy with the way he's progressing.

gr8slayer
12-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Would still be too early to give up on the guy.

better days
12-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Would still be too early to give up on the guy.

I agree, even if injured in the next 4 games it would be too early to give up on EJ.

But I don't think it would hurt to add another QB to the roster either.

With a better back up QB, the Bills would have a better record than they do.

EDS
12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Manuel is the QB for the foreseeable future. It remains uncertain, however, as to whether that is a future worth waiting for.

Fletch
12-08-2013, 11:48 AM

It's going to be a short "future" then. He'll be here as long as Marrone is here, which should be, ... and set your clocks, about two more seasons.

The only question is who will be the next head coach. Gotta be someone with at least acquaintanceship ties to Brandon, Whaley, & the rest of the stoners at OBD, and of course someone with no visible or true credentials for the position.

This team is a soap opera just going through the motions. It's run by the galactically stupid.

Fletch
12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
You don't seem to understand. We do not make the draft picks. We have no influence on picks at all. You can put all your energy into hoping that Santa Claus is gonna put five million dollars into your stocking this Christmas. Then, when it doesn't happen, you can get all upset and act like Santa effed up.
It doesn't change the fact that we know it's not gonna happen, and no matter how much you hope for it, it doesn't really make it any more likely. But since I'm saying that, I must be settling for not being a millionaire.

It does demonstrate and/or reinforce the abject lack of vision that this team has at all levels. It was clearly known last year that this year's crop of QBs was going to be much much better than the smell the glove variety from last year. A good front office and coach would have noted that and planned for/around it. But this staff acts like a kid in a candy shop at Christmas time, or maybe better like an adolescent teen male in an adult book and video store.

Meanwhile, we the fans are the ones with the mop and cleaning supplies.

Fletch
12-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Yes, EJ is the Bills QB of the future. So we should all be prepare for at least 5 more years without playoffs. Nothing we shouldn't be use to.

Manuel will be gone with Marrone, it won't be five years. Three more tops, two more than likely.

Of course, if Wilson still has a pulse, we'll probably be starting from scratch again, which is definitely something we're used to.

WagonCircler
12-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Yes. Why would we want to even consider drafting another QB, given the consistently excellent play we've gotten from EJ this year?

DynaPaul
12-08-2013, 02:15 PM
The future looks bleak.

justasportsfan
12-08-2013, 02:42 PM
The future is dinky

WagonCircler
12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
The future is dinky

Hahaha. Nice.

Mr. Pink
12-08-2013, 02:54 PM
And we're back to Pittsburgh Steeler bad EJ Manuel who's afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield.

AWESOME!