• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

EJ Manuel is the Bills QB of the future

I know that is the last thing that some want to read, and a sign of hope to others. Either way, it is as near to a fact as possible. Debating it is useless. This is the Dougs' guy, and he will be for the foreseeable future.

I for one think he's going to turn out to be a pretty good QB, but that's irrelevant really. The point is, he's the guy. I say this because the last thing most of us need is 4 months of "draft a QB" threads. It's not happening. Put your energy elsewhere if that's how you planned on using it.
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: EJ Manuel is the Bills QB of the future

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
    I say this because the last thing most of us need is 4 months of "draft a QB" threads. It's not happening. Put your energy elsewhere if that's how you planned on using it.
    Thanks SO MUCH for the unsolicited advice.

Always appreciated.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

Bills need a right tackle and left guard in the 2nd and 3rd round. Wide receiver, tight end, or linebacker in the first.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

He's Nix guy.
        If Doug wants a future longer than 3 years in Buffalo he better find a different guy than what some consider the 2nd worst rated QB in the league.

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
          Thanks SO MUCH for the unsolicited advice.

Always appreciated.
          Right. Because there's never any unsolicited advice around here... its one thing to have an opinion, its another to lobby for something that has zero chance of happening.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
            He's Nix guy.
            If Doug wants a future longer than 3 years in Buffalo he better find a different guy than what some consider the 2nd worst rated QB in the league.
            He's got a 45.5 QBR... as a rookie. Anyone who considers him the 2nd worst rated QB in the league needs their head examined.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

I know that is the last thing that some want to read, and a sign of hope to others. Either way, it is as near to a fact as possible. Debating it is useless. This is the Dougs' guy, and he will be for the foreseeable future.

I for one think he's going to turn out to be a pretty good QB, but that's irrelevant really. The point is, he's the guy. I say this because the last thing most of us need is 4 months of "draft a QB" threads. It's not happening. Put your energy elsewhere if that's how you planned on using it.
              I think he's done a fair job. They have been conservative with play calls - IMO, and are doing a decent job with him so far. He sure could have been put into positions for more ints and sacks.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

He's got a 45.5 QBR... as a rookie. Anyone who considers him the 2nd worst rated QB in the league needs their head examined.
                Manuel (-19.4) is the second-worst-graded quarterback – right behind another rookie, Geno Smith – and had only one game ‘in the green’ so far, the first one of the season vs. New England. He is much more comfortable when throwing quick passes that allows him getting into rhythm. Last week vs. Atlanta, Manuel threw 12 times when he had 2.6 seconds or more and completed just four of them with a rating of 54.5. When the Time in Pocket was 2.5 seconds or less he completed 70% of his passes with a rating of 106.0. For the season, Manuel has a 64.9% and 96.4 rating in shorter dropbacks to 48.5% and 62.0 in longer ones.

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Exactly. All we need are more stupid posts about how the Bills should replace a quarterback they just took and who only has eight games under his belt. Nevermind the 2014 QB draft class looks weak and nothing like the bonanza people were predicting prior to the start of 2014 season.

Comment

• Thurmal
                    • Oct 2005

He's gotta start pulling the trigger. Way too tentative, way too afraid of making mistakes. I don't mind a pick here and there if it means he's not checking down every single play.
                    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Bangarang
                      • Sep 2010

He's Nix guy.
                      You assume he's Nix's guy.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                        • Dec 2008

Manuel (-19.4) is the second-worst-graded quarterback – right behind another rookie, Geno Smith – and had only one game ‘in the green’ so far, the first one of the season vs. New England. He is much more comfortable when throwing quick passes that allows him getting into rhythm. Last week vs. Atlanta, Manuel threw 12 times when he had 2.6 seconds or more and completed just four of them with a rating of 54.5. When the Time in Pocket was 2.5 seconds or less he completed 70% of his passes with a rating of 106.0. For the season, Manuel has a 64.9% and 96.4 rating in shorter dropbacks to 48.5% and 62.0 in longer ones.
                        https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...neers-week-14/
                        i love statistics. work with them for a living, in fact.

and don't take this personally,

but that's some of the stupidist ***** i think i've ever read about the bills. how does analyzing passes where manual had more than 2.6 seconds (wtf?) show us ANYTHING functional about Manuel as a QB? maybe his receivers aren't good enough at breaking off their routes and getting open? maybe one side of the line is collapsing and forcing him to shift either to his left or right? it's just a completely irrelevant statistic that has so many confounding variables, i find it odd that anyone would hold that up as some sort of referendum on EJ's career thus far.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                          • Mar 2006

EJ is what he is.
                          He's a guy with all the physical abilities except one...accuracy.
                          All of the intangibles except one...killer instinct.

I don't know that these faults are correctable, in anyone.
                          But he's our guy for now, let's put the best OL we can in front of him.
                          Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

He's the future and a Damn bright future it well be

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

The guy has played 8 games, For Crying Out Loud, and he's been a little gimpy in some of them.

I would say his future as a great QB - or an average QB, or a bust - is in the category of an unqualified maybe.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X