PDA

View Full Version : Why?

coastal
12-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Isn't the GM role filled yet?

is this a job no one wants? Is there a chance although Pat Lafontaine is most loved and respected in WNY, that he was a hire meant to placate the community... you know... a Marv Levy type hire.. and any real GM candidate won't want to put themselves into an untenable position?

Is even the interim hiring of Ted Nolan giving candidates pause?

Dudley turned them down.

I'm starting to be a little concerned.

rbochan
12-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I would rather them take their time and see what else falls into place.

OpIv37
12-07-2013, 09:10 AM
What does a GM do in December other than decide who gets called up if there is an injury or maybe tell the scouting dept who to look at? LaFontaine and Nolan can handle that. I'll get worried if we don't have one when the trade deadline approaches.

Also I don't believe it's a job no one wants. The top guys may not want it, but you know there are assistant GM's and others out there looking to prove themselves.

Dude
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
What's the rush?

SpikedLemonade
12-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Has Jim Benning rejected the Sabres?

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Isn't the GM role filled yet?

is this a job no one wants? Is there a chance although Pat Lafontaine is most loved and respected in WNY, that he was a hire meant to placate the community... you know... a Marv Levy type hire.. and any real GM candidate won't want to put themselves into an untenable position?

Is even the interim hiring of Ted Nolan giving candidates pause?

Dudley turned them down.

I'm starting to be a little concerned.

its the opposite. the sabres are leaving no stone unturned. they are trying to find the right guy. apparently, a ton of hockey people want this job, so lafontaine is doing his due diligence.

no reason to worry, no reason to rush this. they are examining every possibility.

coastal
12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
its the opposite. the sabres are leaving no stone unturned. they are trying to find the right guy. apparently, a ton of hockey people want this job, so lafontaine is doing his due diligence.
Link?

and to add to this... Nolan is already on record in support of building around Miller. Is that his plan or the organization's plan?

Patty obviously thought well enough of him to bring him back, but what happens when you put a GM in place?

I don't know man... Patty didn't want the GM gig because he wasn't ready allegedly. So who is running the show? The interim head coach with a history of control drama issues related to working with mgmt?

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Link?

and to add to this... Nolan is already on record in support of building around Miller. Is that his plan or the organization's plan?

Patty obviously thought well enough of him to bring him back, but what happens when you put a GM in place?

I don't know man... Patty didn't want the GM gig because he wasn't ready allegedly. So who is running the show? The interim head coach with a history of control drama issues related to working with mgmt?

twitters. beat writers.

but theres also this:

http://sabrenoise.com/2013/12/06/search-next-buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray/

lafontaine to remain GM for rest of season while he conducts his search. thats just speculation. there isnt another GM opening (to my knowledge) so theres no reason to rush. no reason to worry. the only one to turn them down was dudley, and i dont think its the lack of appeal to the job that lead him to stay in montreal.

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
But after some searching, I wanna pass on benning. He was responsible for the string of missed firsts late 90s early 2000

coastal
12-07-2013, 03:40 PM
twitters. beat writers.

but theres also this:

http://sabrenoise.com/2013/12/06/search-next-buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray/

lafontaine to remain GM for rest of season while he conducts his search. thats just speculation. there isnt another GM opening (to my knowledge) so theres no reason to rush. no reason to worry. the only one to turn them down was dudley, and i dont think its the lack of appeal to the job that lead him to stay in montreal.
The interesting part of that article is the Patty might allegedly handle the GM duties for this year. The writer aptly questions... then why did he turn down the GM duties to begin with.

the longer this goes on, it becomes increasingly more difficult to interject a GM into the current organizational and decision making structure.

something about this doesn't feel right to me from a business mgmt perspective right now.

DetDannyWilliams
12-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Link?

<tbody>
Assistant General Manager
Kevin Devine (http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=94560)

</tbody>

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
The interesting part of that article is the Patty might allegedly handle the GM duties for this year. The writer aptly questions... then why did he turn down the GM duties to begin with.

the longer this goes on, it becomes increasingly more difficult to interject a GM into the current organizational and decision making structure.

something about this doesn't feel right to me from a business mgmt perspective right now.

what to know what i think? i think you are right, no one wants to work with nolan. it would be pretty silly to hire a GM now and fire nolan. that would look bad. so i think the sabres are going to take their time, and hire one this summer, and relieve nolan of his duties. since no one else is in the GM market right now, there isnt much of a rush.

coastal
12-07-2013, 04:41 PM
what to know what i think? i think you are right, no one wants to work with nolan. it would be pretty silly to hire a GM now and fire nolan. that would look bad. so i think the sabres are going to take their time, and hire one this summer, and relieve nolan of his duties. since no one else is in the GM market right now, there isnt much of a rush.
So you think Nolan is just a sacrificial lamb?

Wow.

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2013, 04:48 PM
So you think Nolan is just a sacrificial lamb?

Wow.

i dont think hes going to stick around. which is too bad, kinda, because he gets the team playing hard (thought i dont agree with how he builds the teams lines/scratches). and questions about nolan being hard to work with from a front office standpoint are many. so, i do wonder if that comes into play. and i think thats possibly why the interim tag is so emphasized.
but i also like the idea of the sabres expanding their search regardless.

coastal
12-07-2013, 06:28 PM
It would be interesting to know how much of a say Nolan has right now.

Patty is going to be tested here... this is an important decision and needs to be handled with a bit of slickness to be honest.

Meathead
12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
no one wants the pressure of following in the footsteps of the great darcy regeir

WagonCircler
12-09-2013, 09:38 PM

no reason to worry, no reason to rush this. they are examining every possibility.

Exactly. They're using the reverse-Russ Brandon method. Instead of hiring a crony, they're actually interviewing people without preconceived judgements.

JATMtheJATM
12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
flames fired feaster today, and are actively looking for a GM. brian burke will act as interim GM.

so maybe now the sabres should be a little more timely in their search. how sabres would that be if the flames scooped up the sabres number 1 choice?