PDA

View Full Version : pittsburgh boston shenanigans.

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2013, 10:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10098543/pittsburgh-penguins-brooks-orpik-jumped-boston-bruins-shawn-thornton-leaves-stretcher

james neal, you disgust me. but not nearly as much as shawn thorton. absolutely gutless. thats boston bruins hockey.

i also hear jack edwards cheerleaded thorton, but i havnt seen it myself.

DetDannyWilliams
12-08-2013, 12:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZvG5O9Rg0 NESN Boston feed

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 12:41 AM
nothing there cheerleading thornton. hm.

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
http://bloguin.com/puckdrunklove/2013-articles/december/video-shawn-thornton-assaults-brooks-orpik.html

this has a longer clip. edwards says nothing. he goes BONKERS when someone touches a bruin. but when a bruin assaults a player, he says nothing.

neal should get alot of games. thornton? much much longer. to me, thats no different from the mcsorly incident. absolutely disgusting.

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 12:56 AM
oh, turns out edwards said this: the incident could have been avoided if orpik toughened up and fought him earlier."

orpik delivered a hard, but legal hit.

DetDannyWilliams
12-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6m

Thornton tells reporters he has a hearing scheduled with the NHL

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 01:08 AM
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6m

Thornton tells reporters he has a hearing scheduled with the NHL

i could be being emotional (i hate seeing this kinda stuff) but he could be looking at 15-20 games. more likely in the 10 area. neal, with that knee, deserves 10 himself.

Downinfloflo
12-08-2013, 01:12 AM
To bad it was Orpik and not Neal that Thornton laid out.

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 01:22 AM
To bad it was Orpik and not Neal that Thornton laid out.

thats another thing. orpik laid out a clean hit. neal cheap shots marchand, and thornton goes after someone else! what was he thinking?

coastal
12-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Bergeron was helping the paramedic get the stretcher out to Orpik.

rbochan
12-08-2013, 07:45 AM
John Scott will get 25 games for this.

The King
12-08-2013, 09:14 AM
This game got out of control. And so did Thornton.

don137
12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
The irony is the morning guy on WGR Jeremy White constantly preaches to the point of being annoying how the Sabres need to stop being thugs and be more like the Penquins and Bruins. Lucic, Marchand and Thornton are very dirty players. Wasn't it Boychuck that took out Vanek in the playoffs? I think the Bruins have skill but are one of the dirtiest teams in the league.

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Bergeron was helping the paramedic get the stretcher out to Orpik.

i saw that too. bergeron is DEF a player id love on the sabres.

coastal
12-08-2013, 11:36 AM
i saw that too. bergeron is DEF a player id love on the sabres.
He's badass.

jdaltroy5
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I think Thornton will probably get at least ten games.

Also, it's kind of funny because Thornton's from my hometown and Neal is from one town over.

DetDannyWilliams
12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Neal 5 games per NHL Gamecenter

Downinfloflo
12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Orpik is on IR....I say Thornton gets 15 games at the very least..

Neal got 5...Funny thing, Neal has been suspended more times than Thornton.

This brought joy to my heart when it happened..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0tBHB3aiAzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jdaltroy5
12-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Orpik is on IR....I say Thornton gets 15 games at the very least..

Neal got 5...Funny thing, Neal has been suspended more times than Thornton.

This brought joy to my heart when it happened..Del Zotto played his junior hockey in my hometown as well.

Basically, we are all dirty here.

trapezeus
12-09-2013, 04:48 PM
edwards play by play was inexcusable. His comments on orpik not hitting loui eriksson would have prevented that mauling by thorton is like saying "she was asking for it because of how she dressed."

Orpik played within the rules of the game and hit a guy who is developing quite a reputation for having his head down.

What made thorton so absurd is that he pushing orpik down and orpik seems to be like, "WTH man" and then gets punched repeatedly. Until the NHL makes an example of one of these absurd hits or brings back bench brawls and kills in instigator penalities, dumb **** like this will continue on.

rbochan
12-09-2013, 05:10 PM
"I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too. "
--Shawn Thornton

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27947/bruins-shawn-thornton-on-fighting

WagonCircler
12-09-2013, 09:40 PM
He should go to ***** JAIL for that! What a piece of ***.

WagonCircler
12-09-2013, 09:46 PM
"I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too. "
--Shawn Thornton

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27947/bruins-shawn-thornton-on-fighting

I swear to God, if I was Orpik, I would hunt Thornton down and stab him.

trapezeus
12-10-2013, 07:45 AM
If you don't think Boston is a scummy town, then let the announcers and thorton's defense of being "too honorable" be exhibits A and B.

ckg927
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
If you don't think Boston is a scummy town, then let the announcers and thorton's defense of being "too honorable" be exhibits A and B.

Boston's been a scummy town for God knows how many years. They did a number on Bill Russell-ONLY one of the greatest players the NBA has ever seen. Dee Brown, another ex-Celtic, had quite a few run-ins. And, when even Barry Bonds says Boston is F'ed up...you've got problems.

Meathead
12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
id call thornton a thug here but then id automatically be saying it about all white males

coastal
12-10-2013, 01:49 PM
id call thornton a thug here but then id automatically be saying it about all white males
You're psychotic.

JATMtheJATM
12-10-2013, 02:13 PM

well, in fairness, you seem to throw out the "thug" tag pretty easily.

Meathead
12-11-2013, 06:48 PM
cowen suspended the day after hit hit on girgs but thornton doesnt have his hearing until friday? hope that means a loong suspension

Meathead
12-11-2013, 06:51 PM
then again shanahan might give him the lucic treatment and just ask him what his intentions were. 'no of course i didnt mean to hurt brooks, i was actually trying to see if he was ok and my fist slipped and hit him right on the face several times while he was laying prone on the ice. no suspension? thanks shanny!'

Meathead
12-12-2013, 12:01 PM
John Scott will get 25 games for this.

all right i wasnt gonna but i gotta ask ...

did you mean 'if john scott did this he would get 25 games' or did you mean 'scott will get penalized 25 games just bc hes a convenient target for the nhl to lower the boom on'?

bc if its the latter thats one of the most awesomely witty nhl jokes ive ever heard in my life

jdaltroy5
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM
then again shanahan might give him the lucic treatment and just ask him what his intentions were. 'no of course i didnt mean to hurt brooks, i was actually trying to see if he was ok and my fist slipped and hit him right on the face several times while he was laying prone on the ice. no suspension? thanks shanny!'I think the reason that it's being delayed is because they are getting lawyers involved. Right now, there is a class action lawsuit against the NHL for concussions, plus Boogaard's lawsuit, plus the NFLPA 750 mil settlement.

They want to send a message that this kind of thing isn't tolerated just so it doesn't come back and bite them in the ass down the road.

Meathead
12-12-2013, 04:23 PM
hadnt thought of that and havent heard anything specific along those lines but i think its a good guess

Downinfloflo
12-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Anytime a player is looking at 10 games or more it takes a week.

SpikedLemonade
12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I predict he gets 12 games.

WagonCircler
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
They just said on the Sabres intermission show that rumors of 15 games are circulating.

JATMtheJATM
12-14-2013, 02:07 PM
he got 15. he deserves double.

WagonCircler
12-14-2013, 03:28 PM

He deserves double in jail. If he had done that on the street, just outside the arena where it happened, that's where he'd be right now. 30 days in the hole.

SpikedLemonade
12-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Or just make him play those 15 games on the Sabres.

JATMtheJATM
12-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Or just make him play those 15 games on the Sabres.

the sabres wouldnt want that trash.

JATMtheJATM
12-14-2013, 09:37 PM
it gets better. now iginla (who i like, but **** the bruins) potentially breaks his hand in a fight.

Meathead
12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
now hes appealed. i hope they give him twenty

The King
12-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I'll say this. Thornton has been an full-time enforcer in this league since 06, he's racked up 875 PIM's, he's been in 132 fights (according to Hockeyfights.com). This is his first suspension.

He's an enforcer, he's not going to be liked by opposing teams, what he did to Orpik is bush league, he lost control of his emotions, the game was out of hand. This one incident with tarnish his record no doubt. But the deliberate play of Neal kneeing Marchand is just as dirty as what Thornton did. Both players went after someone completely defenseless. The difference is Marchand didn't get a concussion, but Loui Eriksson did. I don't know if his sentence will be reduced or not (I personally find it fair), but as someone who has watched him play for years, I view it as one awful decision, amongst a career of putting his ass on the line for the team. I also think that if you're going to play on the line as Orpik did, you need to answer the call even if you're a second line guy and he's a 4th. And whether you think the hit on Eriksson was clean or not, it's at least towing the line.

Downinfloflo
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I'll say this. Thornton has been an full-time enforcer in this league since 06, he's racked up 875 PIM's, he's been in 132 fights (according to Hockeyfights.com). This is his first suspension.

He's an enforcer, he's not going to be liked by opposing teams, what he did to Orpik is bush league, he lost control of his emotions, the game was out of hand. This one incident with tarnish his record no doubt. But the deliberate play of Neal kneeing Marchand is just as dirty as what Thornton did. Both players went after someone completely defenseless. The difference is Marchand didn't get a concussion, but Loui Eriksson did. I don't know if his sentence will be reduced or not (I personally find it fair), but as someone who has watched him play for years, I view it as one awful decision, amongst a career of putting his ass on the line for the team. I also think that if you're going to play on the line as Orpik did, you need to answer the call even if you're a second line guy and he's a 4th. And whether you think the hit on Eriksson was clean or not, it's at least towing the line.

Well said...I have a feeling if someone from the Sabres did what Thornton did to Lucic after the hit on Miller they would be hailed a hero in Sabres land.

Like you said Thornton has been a goon in the NHL since 06, And this is the first time he lost his cool in a game that had many of out of control moments.

Neal has been suspended 3 times because he's just a all around *******.

WagonCircler
12-18-2013, 01:15 AM
I view it as one awful decision, amongst a career of putting his ass on the line for the team..

Another awful decision--fighting John Scott.

The King
12-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Another awful decision--fighting John Scott.
Eh, it wasn't his day.

But I would rather have Thornton than Scott or pretty much any other enforcer. Thornton has more goals this season than Scott has in his career, more goals than Parros in his last 4 seasons. He's a sound hockey player.

chernobylwraiths
12-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Good up to a point, but the bold part is where your argument goes off the rails. In your rush to try and give Thornton an excuse, and that is what you are doing here, you totally discount the fact that the hit apparently was both clean and legal. This is the new NHL. No matter if the hit is legal and clean or not, you go after the guy that hit your guy. If he doesn't "answer the bell" he is a puss or something to that effect. It is like the hit Campbell made on Umberger against Philly in the playoffs, as soon as Philly saw their guy down, they went after Campbell. It is completely BS.

Now if you want to take those kinds of hits out of the game, then I might agree with you. Maybe the NHL's version of "hitting a defenseless receiver". But then again, this is the NHL, which has a mountain of problems in assessing fines and suspensions and such.

The King
12-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Good up to a point, but the bold part is where your argument goes off the rails. In your rush to try and give Thornton an excuse, and that is what you are doing here, you totally discount the fact that the hit apparently was both clean and legal. This is the new NHL. No matter if the hit is legal and clean or not, you go after the guy that hit your guy. If he doesn't "answer the bell" he is a puss or something to that effect. It is like the hit Campbell made on Umberger against Philly in the playoffs, as soon as Philly saw their guy down, they went after Campbell. It is completely BS.

Now if you want to take those kinds of hits out of the game, then I might agree with you. Maybe the NHL's version of "hitting a defenseless receiver". But then again, this is the NHL, which has a mountain of problems in assessing fines and suspensions and such.

There's no excuse for what Thornton did. He cheap-shoted the guy and destroyed him with his gloves on. The Bruins are a physical team that protect their own, they have been since the beginning of time. Orpik didn't want to fight and Thornton's frustration got out of control. The Bruins and Penguins have had bad blood since Ulf Samuelson ended Neely's career, then you throw in Cooke/Savard, and the fact that we embarrassed them in the playoffs, Pittsburgh wanted to play this type of hockey game. The fact the no one would engage with Thornton is crazy, once again Pittsburgh wanted to make a statement in this game, there's no question about that. Thornton still went over board, I agree with the 15 games.

The fact that the Bruins still beat Pittsburgh and with 13 seconds left is how I like to see them respond, not like Thornton did.

trapezeus
12-18-2013, 11:48 AM
if we are talking about history playing a part of things, erikson has a history of skating with his head down. that was a clean open ice hit.

Thorton, for a guy who supposedly embodies the code, was so bush league and so remorseful that he's appealing the decision. He should have gotten 25 games. Orpik doesn't have to answer the bell for playing physical and within the rules of the game.

Thorton was always a piece of **** and the total lack of sincerity by appealing the decision just cements it.

The King
12-18-2013, 01:36 PM
if we are talking about history playing a part of things, erikson has a history of skating with his head down. that was a clean open ice hit.

Thorton, for a guy who supposedly embodies the code, was so bush league and so remorseful that he's appealing the decision. He should have gotten 25 games. Orpik doesn't have to answer the bell for playing physical and within the rules of the game.

Thorton was always a piece of **** and the total lack of sincerity by appealing the decision just cements it.

Only thing that makes sense to me about the appeal is the amount of games Neal got. That's the only leg he has to stand on. I don't think they over turn it.

Downinfloflo
12-18-2013, 02:20 PM
The NHLPA has to appeal a 15 game suspension or it's not doing it's job..

DetDannyWilliams
12-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Bettman upholds Thornton's 15-game suspension
NEW YORK -- Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 15-game suspension that was assessed to Boston Bruins (http://bruins.nhl.com/) forward Shawn Thornton (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8465978) by the Department of Player Safety for punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent, Brooks Orpik (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468498) of the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://penguins.nhl.com/), in NHL Game No. 438 at Boston on Dec. 7. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=697425&navid=DL|NHL|home

The King
12-24-2013, 01:13 PM
As expected

Meathead
12-24-2013, 04:45 PM
thuck fornton