PDA

View Full Version : 5 most hopeless teams- Yeah we really are that bad

Skooby
12-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Time to tear it down & rebuild.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/the-5-most-hopeless-teams-in-the-nfl/

4. Buffalo Bills
EJ Manuel looks just awful. His coach thinks he’s overwhelmed and he’s yet to win on the road. The good news is the Bills have a healthy roster that is expected to carry over into next year. The bad news is that this roster is on pace to lose to the Falcons, Buccaneers, and Jaguars in consecutive weeks.

Bangarang
12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
How can a list like that not include the Browns or Jaguars?

jdaltroy5
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
What do you mean time to tear it down and rebuild?

What do you think we did last year?

TacklingDummy
12-09-2013, 09:06 AM
The Texans shouldn't be #5, they won more than 10 games to 2 previous years and were only under .500 once in the past 6.

The Bills have had 1 winning season since 2000 (9-7 woohoo), 11 times under .500.

The Redskins have had 3 winning seasons since 2000, 8 times under .500.

The Bills should be #1 on that list.

SpikedLemonade
12-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Looks bleak.

I was thinking we would be 3-13 this year (showing improvement in the 2nd half), 8-8 next year and make the play-offs in 2015.

We definitely need to bring an experienced OC for next year to work with EJ since next year is make or break time for EJ.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
How can a list like that not include the Browns or Jaguars?

The Browns have a lot of potential in the next few years provided they can get something resembling a decent QB and keep him healthy for a month. Their defense is young and hungry, Gordon is the hottest wideout in the league, and they have two first rounders in a very deep draft.

Night Train
12-09-2013, 11:01 AM
It's a newspaper article, so it MUST be true.

We ARE rebuilding. First year coaches blow up rosters after year 1, once they find out who can help them win and make plays when it counts. Stay tuned.

trapezeus
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
bad teams starting the rebuild, usually see better play. they see their future all stars. they might not have gaudy numbers, but they stand and deliver. as long as this team continues to get worse in the back end, the less there is to believe that they can get any good for the next season without major overhauls in QB and Wr.

TacklingDummy
12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
We ARE rebuilding. First year coaches blow up rosters after year 1, once they find out who can help them win and make plays when it counts. Stay tuned.

Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, and Andy Reid disagree with you.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2013, 11:16 AM
It's a newspaper article, so it MUST be true.

This team doesn't rebuild and hasn't rebuilt in 14 years.

They spin their wheels and do a bunch of lateral moves.

They are under this illusion that they aren't a bottom feeder and are on the cusp of greatness that only requires a player or two to push them over the top.

This team needs o line help, receiver help, tight end help, qb help, lb help, secondary help.

People want to sit here and think this team is better than the Jets or Dolphins...the standings say otherwise. But I'm sure New England will implode next year because we'll have an entire offseason where people will preach it will happen.

SpikedLemonade
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM

And with Marrone we wonder why we can't also do it.

Skooby
12-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Us losing to these teams shows you we're far from having any kind of success.

MidnightVoice
12-09-2013, 12:17 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid

DynaPaul
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
This team rebuilds more than a Kansas trailer park with the same results. Total disaster.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
What do you mean time to tear it down and rebuild?

What do you think we did last year?

The tearing down and rebuilding again will only stop win the team improves.

pmoon6
12-10-2013, 08:45 AM
We are No.1 in hopeless fans...if you care to call them that.

I remember Marv Levy commenting to a Bills' Fan calling in on a radio program.

Fan: Whaaaa. I don't want the Bills' to make the Super Bowl again because I can't take the disappointment anymore.

Levy: I understand, but I'm glad you don't play on my team.

There are tampons and tissues in the Zone Store.

Night Train
12-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Fan: Whaaaa. I don't want the Bills' to make the Super Bowl again because I can't take the disappointment anymore.

:rofl: So true.

I'm a 50+ year fan but hold this perspective...it's a F***ing game ! And I cannot control it.

pmoon6
12-10-2013, 09:09 AM
:rofl: So true.

I'm a 50+ year fan but hold this perspective...it's a F***ing game ! And I cannot control it.All I ever asked for is a competitive team and players that give 100%. Aside from a few games, we have been in every one and entertaining to watch. I just turned 50 this year as a fan so considering we just changed coaching staffs again and are starting quite a few rookies, I didn't think we would come close to making the playoffs. Personally, I think the criticism of Manuel is ridiculous.

Too bad most fans are reactionaries. Tampa is not a bad team, neither is Jacksonville, despite their records.

Neither are we.

OpIv37
12-10-2013, 09:18 AM
bad teams starting the rebuild, usually see better play. they see their future all stars. they might not have gaudy numbers, but they stand and deliver. as long as this team continues to get worse in the back end, the less there is to believe that they can get any good for the next season without major overhauls in QB and Wr.

Honestly, how has this team improved over the course of the season? Who did we bring in that makes us better? Kiko, um... Yeah, pretty slim after that. Arguably Woods. Hughes and Lawson have had their moments and Roby was a nice find, but he'll never be more than a nickel corner and the D as a whole still needs work.

Again, I wasn't expecting to win or make the playoffs, but at this point I was hoping to see a couple young guys emerging and I would have thought that we'd be able to beat the other teams that are as bad as us. No such luck, once again. All I was hoping for was some signs that we were headed in the right direction - early in the season it looked like we had that. But now it looks like the Bills can't live up even to that drastically lowered standard.

Historian
12-10-2013, 09:20 AM

I was in the audience at his show a few times, and on one occasion, a guy called in and asked why he ran in an obvious passing situation, or visa versa, and Levy's response was essentially..."Let me worry about what plays we call, what offense we run, etc, and just sit back and enjoy the game."

Then he went on even further:

"In fact, why don't you do yourself a favor, and turn off the tv, and read a book...perhaps you will learn something new." "Football is just a game, etc, etc."

The whole audience was kinda stunned, as was Bob Koshinski. Then they went to commercial.

During the tv break, I said, "Way to tell em Coach", and gave him a thumbs up.

He chuckled and winked.

pmoon6
12-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I was in the audience at his show a few times, and on one occasion, a guy called in and asked why he ran in an obvious passing situation, or visa versa, and Levy's response was essentially..."Let me worry about what plays we call, what offense we run, etc, and just sit back and enjoy the game."

Then he went on even further:

"In fact, why don't you do yourself a favor, and turn off the tv, and read a book...perhaps you will learn something new." "Football is just a game, etc, etc."

The whole audience was kinda stunned, as was Bob Koshinski. Then they went to commercial.

During the tv break, I said, "Way to tell em Coach", and gave him a thumbs up.

He chuckled and winked.HaHa. Great story.

Historian
12-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Honestly, how has this team improved over the course of the season? Who did we bring in that makes us better? Kiko, um... Yeah, pretty slim after that. Arguably Woods. .

I think Carpenter was a magnificent find....but true to form for the Bills, it was by accident, lol.

OpIv37
12-10-2013, 09:31 AM
All I ever asked for is a competitive team and players that give 100%. Aside from a few games, we have been in every one and entertaining to watch. I just turned 50 this year as a fan so considering we just changed coaching staffs again and are starting quite a few rookies, I didn't think we would come close to making the playoffs. Personally, I think the criticism of Manuel is ridiculous.

Too bad most fans are reactionaries. Tampa is not a bad team, neither is Jacksonville, despite their records.

Neither are we.

The reason Manuel is being criticized is because he appears to be getting worse, not better. He doesn't feel the pressure in the pocket and struggles to find guys downfield. A few games ago, he was at least getting the long passes off, even if they weren't completions. Now, he just sits there til he gets sacked.

People don't want him to be Tom Brady. We simply want to see progress, and it isn't there. I think it's ridiculous that people want to give up on him- the team invested too much in him and it's a position that takes time. But the lack I progress is discouraging.

OpIv37
12-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I think Carpenter was a magnificent find....but true to form for the Bills, it was by accident, lol.

Yeah I forgot about Carpenter. Of course, he'll probably get cut once the other kicker is healthy....

pmoon6
12-10-2013, 10:02 AM
The reason Manuel is being criticized is because he appears to be getting worse, not better. He doesn't feel the pressure in the pocket and struggles to find guys downfield. A few games ago, he was at least getting the long passes off, even if they weren't completions. Now, he just sits there til he gets sacked.

People don't want him to be Tom Brady. We simply want to see progress, and it isn't there. I think it's ridiculous that people want to give up on him- the team invested too much in him and it's a position that takes time. But the lack I progress is discouraging.I didn't see the game because I was in the air on Sunday and the highlights were hard to come by on the sports stations, so I'll defer to those who were able to watch the game.

That said, a rookie is going to have his ups and downs. A lot of fans wanted to see Manuel start so they could "evaluate him". I did not based on the pre-draft book on him, but I'm usually not in favor of starting a rookie QB anyway. They got what they wanted and now they can jump his ass because that's what some enjoy about the game. The truth is what has already been discussed. Not many rookies don't have a tough season if they start. I remember Rich Gannon bounced around the league for years until he found a home in Oakland and won the MVP. Doug Williams won a Super Bowl. Most of the others have already been mentioned.

Bottom line is E.J. is still young and inexperienced. A full offseason, training camp and preseason should give us a truer picture. I mean he didn't really have time this season because of two injuries where he missed practice and playing time.

But, let's use the 8th pick on another QB as some have suggested.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

trapezeus
12-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Honestly, how has this team improved over the course of the season? Who did we bring in that makes us better? Kiko, um... Yeah, pretty slim after that. Arguably Woods. Hughes and Lawson have had their moments and Roby was a nice find, but he'll never be more than a nickel corner and the D as a whole still needs work.

Again, I wasn't expecting to win or make the playoffs, but at this point I was hoping to see a couple young guys emerging and I would have thought that we'd be able to beat the other teams that are as bad as us. No such luck, once again. All I was hoping for was some signs that we were headed in the right direction - early in the season it looked like we had that. But now it looks like the Bills can't live up even to that drastically lowered standard.

Buffalo sports relies on this absurd ideal of having players play up a level. the sabres the last few years have kept pushing line 2 players to be line 1 players. the bills routinely expect scrubs to be backups and backups to be starters.

the bills look at kiko and think, "all set" when good teams think, "how do we make him/position even better." if the bills go stud OLB next season early in draft and nail it, the bills defense could be very dominant. but they also have to take another qb. even if this is the growing pains for EJ, he isn't being pushed hard enough. he knows tuel and thad aren't overstepping him. would he feel the same way with a round 2 QB in the wings?

i also wouldn't mind trading Stevie for a 3rd and 5th. this lets you overdraft sizable TE. a stud TE will be more valuable to young QBs than average to slightly above average WR. Then with the extra picks hit the OL.

but our bills will look at Wr early, they'll look at DB. they may select some OL ensuring that they have some prospect at each spot.

Mr. Pink
12-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Bottom line is E.J. is still young and inexperienced. A full offseason, training camp and preseason should give us a truer picture. I mean he didn't really have time this season because of two injuries where he missed practice and playing time.

But, let's use the 8th pick on another QB as some have suggested.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Excuses.

Excuses that don't hold valid in today's NFL as offenses in the NFL are basically the same as offenses run in college. A QB who said the playbook here was easier than the FSU playbook. A QB now who needs the playbook dumbed down for him to maybe succeed. A QB who is probably less accurate than you, a 50 year old man, is. A QB who looks completely lost on the field as he has no awareness of what's going on around him, stares down receivers and has sloppy footwork. A QB who makes JP Losman look good. A QB who looks so far below other young QBs who've lit the league up.

But yeah, he needs another year. And then after that year is over, give him another year. Because he might eventually get it. Meanwhile the Bills will be a 5 win football team while attempting it and he and Marrone will lose their jobs over it. And we then we can go into another 3 year rebuild of someone else who may or may not make people want Dick Jauron back.

As you said...that's the ticket!

BillsFever21
12-10-2013, 03:42 PM

Along with Chuck Pagano last season and Bruce Arians this season.

pmoon6
12-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Excuses.

Excuses that don't hold valid in today's NFL as offenses in the NFL are basically the same as offenses run in college. A QB who said the playbook here was easier than the FSU playbook. A QB now who needs the playbook dumbed down for him to maybe succeed. A QB who is probably less accurate than you, a 50 year old man, is. A QB who looks completely lost on the field as he has no awareness of what's going on around him, stares down receivers and has sloppy footwork. A QB who makes JP Losman look good. A QB who looks so far below other young QBs who've lit the league up.

But yeah, he needs another year. And then after that year is over, give him another year. Because he might eventually get it. Meanwhile the Bills will be a 5 win football team while attempting it and he and Marrone will lose their jobs over it. And we then we can go into another 3 year rebuild of someone else who may or may not make people want Dick Jauron back.

As you said...that's the ticket!Keep *****ing about the rookie. It makes me laugh that you actually think you know something.

Mr. Pink
12-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Keep *****ing about the rookie. It makes me laugh that you actually think you know something.

And whenever the organization moves on from the failed EJ Manuel experiment, you can think back to some of us who wanted him gone now instead of whenever the franchise decides to pull the plug. Then wonder to yourself why they wasted so much time on crap, just like they wasted so much time on their last crap first round QB.

pmoon6
12-12-2013, 07:23 AM
And whenever the organization moves on from the failed EJ Manuel experiment, you can think back to some of us who wanted him gone now instead of whenever the franchise decides to pull the plug. Then wonder to yourself why they wasted so much time on crap, just like they wasted so much time on their last crap first round QB.So, this is nothing more than a psychological need to be correct. Maybe if this theory comes to fruition you can apply for an analysts job at ESPN. Beats flipping burgers at the local McDonald's and pimping your football acumen on an innocuous fan site.

Then again, I'm sure your Momma gives you a cookie and an extra helping of Lucky Charms every time you guess right.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
So, this is nothing more than a psychological need to be correct. Maybe if this theory comes to fruition you can apply for an analysts job at ESPN. Beats flipping burgers at the local McDonald's and pimping your football acumen on an innocuous fan site.

Then again, I'm sure your Momma gives you a cookie and an extra helping of Lucky Charms every time you guess right.

You're the one who's playing the need to be correct card, I was just throwing it back into your face.

But whatever allows you to sleep best at night old timer.

pmoon6
12-12-2013, 01:12 PM
You're the one who's playing the need to be correct card, I was just throwing it back into your face.

But whatever allows you to sleep best at night old timer.Is this the "I know you are, but what am I" thingie?

Props, big boy. Now have Mom wipe the dribble from your chin.

Skooby
12-12-2013, 11:28 PM
We're licking major pig vomit on the way, all we need is a few more losses to a great draft pick.

Bangarang
12-14-2013, 05:30 PM
The Browns have a lot of potential in the next few years provided they can get something resembling a decent QB and keep him healthy for a month. Their defense is young and hungry, Gordon is the hottest wideout in the league, and they have two first rounders in a very deep draft.

A lot of teams are a good QB and a healthy team away from competing.

The Browns have in the same mediocre category as us for years.

They have 2 1st round picks but their last few 1st rounders leave a lot to be desired. They're not exactly the poster child for good drafting.

Skooby
12-15-2013, 12:07 PM
We drafted a project QB.

pmoon6
12-16-2013, 06:18 AM
We drafted a project QB.No **** and you just figured that out? Many knew that when they announced the pick.

better days
12-16-2013, 08:05 AM

No they don't. Harbaugh blew up his roster, getting rid of the incumbent QB & installing his own QB.

Do you expect Vick to be the QB in Philly next year? Kelly will blow that team up.

And if Andy Reed could get his hands on a better QB than Smith, he would in a heartbeat. As it is I expect the Chiefs to get some weapons to surround Smith.