PDA

View Full Version : How far away is this team?

UltimateBillsFan
12-09-2013, 10:29 AM
For Christ's sake, as soon as this team takes one step forward, it takes about four back. At the start of the year the defense kept us in games when the offense stalled. And then the offense slowly started stepping up their game and consistently putting up over 20. Now, the defense has seemingly vanished. And the offense has gone to hell. Even in what everyone is calling EJ's best game (the home Jets game), he didn't look exceptional. He looked good for the conditions he was playing in. How far away is this team? How many more high draft picks do we need before we have the necessary talent to beat good teams. Hell, even to beat the bad teams. The fact that we haven't made the playoffs in 14 consecutive seasons in a league that allows 6 teams into the playoffs seems nearly statistically impossible. Right now it seems hopeless, this team can't play on the road, and they can't string together wins. I'll go as far as to say that they looked more hopeful under Chan. Love Marrone's attitude, but I think the team he has to work with just doesn't show up to play.

SpikedLemonade
12-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Buddy Nix was incompetent.

The talent just isn't there.

bf1
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Looks like Jauron was a ***** genius.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2013, 11:06 AM

Nah it makes Mularkey a genius for quitting on this perennial tire fire.

bf1
12-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Nah it makes Mularkey a genius for quitting on this perennial tire fire.

Best career move ever.

Historian
12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
They need football people in the front office, for God's sake.

Oaf
12-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm not convinced or optimistic that EJ will get "it". :ill:

Meathead
12-09-2013, 11:16 AM
given the conditions i thought ej was fantastic in the jets game. still has a long way to go but he was terrific that day

Mr. Pink
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
given the conditions i thought ej was fantastic in the jets game. still has a long way to go but he was terrific that day

The Jets game was a step forward and then he went out and erased that with about 10 steps backward yesterday.

EDS
12-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Yup. Pretty sad that the Nix/Whaley regimes can't replicate the modest "success" of the Jauron/Levy era.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-09-2013, 11:21 AM
How far away from what? From being a perennial contender? Quite a ways.

But I think we've got the pieces in place to make a playoff spot if (and it's a BIG if) we get some consistency from the QB position. With boom or bust guys like Spiller and Johnson around them, we need at least one guy who will show up and be competent week in and week out. But when the main guy is spraying footballs everywhere the whole thing grinds to a halt.

TacklingDummy
12-09-2013, 11:22 AM
How far away is this team?

Like most teams we are a QB away.

Find a QB and all other problems seem to start to go away.

The Defense seems to get better because they are not on the field as much.
The Run game seems to get better because they are not playing 8 in the box.
The O-line seems to get better.
The receivers all of a sudden get open.
The Head Coach seems like he can coach.
The Play calling seems to get better.
The W/L record starts to look positive.

The Jokeman
12-09-2013, 01:03 PM
The Jets game was a step forward and then he went out and erased that with about 10 steps backward yesterday.

It could be worse we could have Geno Smith who looked great against the Raiders and us early on but garbage in almost every other game. Say what you want but rookie QB play is a roller coaster at best. Heck even second year QB can be roller coaster as look at Andrew Luck and RG3 play this season. Same thing for Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. Assuming he stays healthy we won't know how good/bad AJ is until season 3 at best. Yet the realist in me feels he might be a good QB if we can get him more tools as to me it was a travesty this offseason we did nothing to shore up obvious holes at the WR position and no I don't considering drafting a WR in Round 2 or 3 as filling a hole as rarely do rookie players make big impacts.

tampabay25690
12-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I know yesterday was awful and I was there to experience the loss....
But I think this team is way closer then the record.
We have played 5 teams that had a bye or 10 days to prepare. Thats awful for this young team

I think teh vets on this team need to step up and push these young guys.
We need to have a very good offseason and a great draft again.

EJ will be much better next year and the team will only grow off of that.....
Yesterday looked like a team that has finally thrown in the towel.

imbondz
12-09-2013, 01:21 PM
we're a Hall of Fame coach and a Hall of Fame QB away

YardRat
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
We're closer than some think.

If Hackett's balls ever drop, or we get an experienced OC with a track record to replace him, the offense will be much different.

Obviously still need some talent in most areas also.

imbondz
12-09-2013, 03:22 PM

If Hackett's balls ever drop, or we get an experienced OC with a track record to replace him, the offense will be much different.

That doesn't sound close at all though.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2013, 04:07 PM

And a QB who had some balls to throw the ball down the field. Or some lineman to block for him. Or some guys who'll actually catch the ball. But yeah, we're close.

YardRat
12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
That doesn't sound close at all though.

The line between success and failure is very thin...a break here, and a break there, in a few close games this season and this team is in the driver's seat for a wildcard. That's close.

And a QB who had some balls to throw the ball down the field. Or some lineman to block for him. Or some guys who'll actually catch the ball. But yeah, we're close.

EJ's a rookie, so he gets a pass for this season, especially considering he hasn't played every game. Of course they need to add some players...almost every team in the league does.

Fletch
12-09-2013, 05:24 PM
How far away is this team?

Wilson's kicking of the bucket away.

Even then, depends upon who the new owners are and who they put in charge.

If the team doesn't stay in Buffalo, then who cares.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Aeons.

X-Era
12-09-2013, 05:57 PM

We need some damn depth for one.

Robey trying to cover Vincent Jackson is a travesty that I lay at Doug Whaley's feet. As is Legursky starting and not a damn possession receiver on the whole team.

WagonCircler
12-09-2013, 06:07 PM
I'd say we're farther away than at this time last year. And I say this because now we have to go through the whole "we have to give them a chance..." cycle all over again with Marrone, EJ....

At this point, there's really nothing that's confidence inspiring. Not any of the players, not Marrone and staff, not Whaley, and ESPECIALLY not Russ ***** Brandon.

This team will not progress until there's a real owner. One who would NEVER appoint a two-bit, no experience con man to be his team's CEO.

sudzy
12-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Another decade might do it.

TacklingDummy
12-10-2013, 06:14 AM
we're a Hall of Fame coach and a Hall of Fame QB away

What came first, the Hall of Fame coach or the Hall of Fame QB?

Belicheck head coaching career was nothing without Brady.
Levy Head Coaching career was nothing without Kelly.

Novacane
12-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Another decade might do it.

That's pretty optimistic

BuffaloRedleg
12-10-2013, 08:00 PM
You are always a QB away from contention.

I can't believe there was a time when people thought we shouldn't take a chance on Manning. Not that he would have come here, but yeah. Wow.

feldspar
12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
You are always a QB away from contention.

Yep.

And this team has a serious base defense to back that up effectively, too.

QB driven league ain't no lie. As unfair as it may seem, this whole deal going forward is dependent on how EJ performs.

The Jokeman
12-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Yep.

And this team has a serious base defense to back that up effectively, too.

QB driven league ain't no lie. As unfair as it may seem, this whole deal going forward is dependent on how EJ performs.

Our defense has been good this season but you add starting pass rusher OLB like a Miller or Mack and you could make our defense that much better. If I've learned one thing is you can win more easily with a dominate defense and so so offense then a good defense and ok offense. So I say build on strength and get an OLB with a top 10. As Moats has been good but nothing to write home about.

The Jokeman
12-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I'd say we're farther away than at this time last year. And I say this because now we have to go through the whole "we have to give them a chance..." cycle all over again with Marrone, EJ....

At this point, there's really nothing that's confidence inspiring. Not any of the players, not Marrone and staff, not Whaley, and ESPECIALLY not Russ ***** Brandon.

This team will not progress until there's a real owner. One who would NEVER appoint a two-bit, no experience con man to be his team's CEO.

I've clamored it for quite awhile but Wilson views the Bills as business not as a football team. I agree with that Brandon has to go as we need more football guys in the front office but I don't think we'll see it with Wilson as owner ever again.

BertSquirtgum
12-11-2013, 03:24 AM
I can't wait to tell the season ticket person that calls me to **** off.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-11-2013, 03:52 AM
So if (more likely when) the Marrone Era ends, who the hell would Buffalo get? Every time Buffalo starts looking for a HC it seems more and more Coach's say they are not interested.

Mr. Pink
12-11-2013, 11:17 AM
So if (more likely when) the Marrone Era ends, who the hell would Buffalo get? Every time Buffalo starts looking for a HC it seems more and more Coach's say they are not interested.

There will be an exhaustive extensive search...we're due for a retread.

Jim Haslett come on down!

bf1
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I think what this team needs most is a leader with experience on a winning pro team.

trapezeus
12-11-2013, 04:33 PM
There will be an exhaustive extensive search...we're due for a retread.

Jim Haslett come on down!

I hope there is someone as far away as albany that has a good track record. Maybe is a game or two above .500. says that he wants to change the culture and then brings in all his pals from his underperforming team, comes to buffalo to watch the accountants cut the best pieces of our team and then see if a guy who couldn't win in a crappy college division is up for the change in a division with the cheating and league favored patriots.

I'm sure it will all work out perfect. winning season set for 2024