PDA

View Full Version : Bills contributions to football history

ParanoidAndroid
12-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I just read on NFL.com, about this week's outburst of scoring. The record number of touchdowns for a single week was set at 90 and counting. So far, pending tonight's game, every team in the NFL contributed to that total except the Buffalo Bills -a typical contribution to football history.
Given the current doldrums, I would like to ask folks to post positive contributions to football history by the Buffalo Bills.

I'll take the obvious: The greatest comeback in playoff history. Down 38-3 versus the Oilers in the 3rd quarter, the Bills score 38 unanswered points to win 41-38 in overtime.

Your turn. Good luck.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I just read on NFL.com, about this week's outburst of scoring. The record number of touchdowns for a single week was set at 90 and counting. So far, pending tonight's game, every team in the NFL contributed to that total except the Buffalo Bills -a typical contribution to football history.
Given the current doldrums, I would like to ask folks to post positive contributions to football history by the Buffalo Bills.

I'll take the obvious: The greatest comeback in playoff history. Down 38-3 versus the Oilers in the 3rd quarter, the Bills score 38 unanswered points to win 41-38 in overtime.

Your turn. Good luck.

Actually they were down 35-3. Houston kicked a late field goal to send it to OT.

ParanoidAndroid
12-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I knew that.... thanks.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-09-2013, 06:13 PM
being the 4 time defending AFC champions.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-09-2013, 07:04 PM
-If I am not mistaken we still have the largest margin of victory (48) and most points scored (51) in an AFC championship game.
- Most consecutive games without allowing a Rushing TD
- First Black QB
- Longest field goal in Superbowl history (Steve Christie 54 yarder, SB XXVIII).
- Third greatest comeback in regular season history 1997 v. Colts

Generalissimus Gibby
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
- First RB to rush for 2000 yards in a season, OJ Simpson in 1973 (He still holds the yards rushing per game record 143.07 compared to Dickerson's 135.3 as he reached 2K in 14 games).
- I think Kelly still has a record for most passes attempted in a Superbowl, could be wrong.

Historian
12-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Only NFL team to employ a midget.

Or did we fire him last year?

pmoon6
12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Only NFL team to hire Lou Saban twice.

Were responsible for a trade being subject to a physical before completed after we got Art Powell from the Raiders and he was blind in one eye.

First soccer style kicker, Pete Gogolak.

Night Train
12-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Only NFL team to employ a midget.

Or did we fire him last year?

2nd time .

1st time- Flutie

imbondz
12-10-2013, 09:08 AM
1st team w a buffalo on the helmet

Historian
12-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Only team to lose a player in the Vietnam War.

First team to put a player in the President's cabinate I believe.

Historian
12-10-2013, 09:56 AM
First team to sell the naming rights to their stadium, ironically.

GingerP
12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Only team to lose a player in the Vietnam War.

1 of 2

Bob Kalsu & Don Steinbrunner

OpIv37
12-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Most murders by an ex player: OJ Simpson with 2.

Unofficially, Aaron Hernandez has 3 so this one has a good chance of being broken.

trapezeus
12-10-2013, 12:14 PM
creating the first QB who called all his own shots and essentially ushered in the hyper modern era of football greats.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Only team to have a superhero on the team.

TV Superman- Dean Cain

I don't recall any other team having one. Correct me if i am wrong.

Historian
12-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Only team to have a QB who lead the greatest comeback in college as well.

Historian
12-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Only team with a cemetary on the stadium grounds.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Most prolific babymaker in NFL history
Most baby mommas in quest to be most prolific baby maker
Most unpaid back child support

All three records owned by one Travis Henry.

I think we have the most most league championship game losses with six. 1966 (AFL) and then 1990-1993 (NFL) and 1947 (AAFC)

Generalissimus Gibby
12-12-2013, 03:11 PM
participant in first (and I think still the only game) game in NFL history where neither team attempted a punt, the 49ers were the other. Ah the Kelly Bills. I'd love to see that game again.

WagonCircler
12-12-2013, 04:18 PM
1st team w a buffalo on the helmet

And, in so doing, the first and only team to have their city, rather than their team name, represented on their helmets.

Historian
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
First NFL Stadium to host an outdoor hockey game. (I think)

Meathead
01-07-2014, 09:00 AM
most women hit by a car and left in the street with pretty much no consequences to the perpetrator

most bottles of liquor brought into a bar by a wealthy person

most twenty dollar bills stolen by same wealthy person

Meathead
01-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Only team to have a superhero on the team.

kiko makes two

The King
01-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Most prolific babymaker in NFL history
Most baby mommas in quest to be most prolific baby maker
Most unpaid back child support

All three records owned by one Travis Henry.

I think we have the most most league championship game losses with six. 1966 (AFL) and then 1990-1993 (NFL) and 1947 (AAFC)

I thinks Cromartie has since broke those records.

The Zone Ranger
01-08-2014, 08:57 AM
First team to have one home game a year played in another city

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2014, 09:05 AM
First team to have one home game a year played in another city

Except for Green Bay in the 70s and 80s.

pmoon6
01-08-2014, 09:19 AM
First team to have one home game a year played in another cityYou also forgot the Saints played all their home games in San Antone in 2005, we didn't start until 2008.

stuckincincy
01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Only known instance of fans attacking a place kicker (Booth Lusteg):

.."Lusteg went on to lead the AFL in points that season. He was also quite erratic. One famous story came after he'd missed a 23-yard field goal that would have beaten San Diego. Leaving the stadium, he was confronted by a group of angry Bills fans. They harassed him. One finally threw a punch before running to his car. Lusteg didn't give chase or even write down the license plate number.

When asked why, he replied, "I felt I got what I deserved.":...

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20121020/new-haven-200-branfords-booth-lusteg-got-a-kick-out-of-life

gebobs
01-08-2014, 11:54 AM
- First Black QB
James Harris was not the first black QB. He was the first black QB to start a game in the post-merger NFL era. But there were other quarterbacks earlier going back as far as the 20's (though admittedly the game was far different then). Just prior to the merger, Marlin Briscoe started several games for Denver in the AFL.

Of course, Harris was never given a fair shake in Buffalo. He only started two games behind uber-goober Dennis Shaw and became the second MVP QB the Bills let go after Daryl Lamonica.

gebobs
01-08-2014, 12:06 PM
And, in so doing, the first and only team to have their city, rather than their team name, represented on their helmets.

The standing buffalo was used until '62. The Giants adopted the NY logo in '61 and the Niners have used the SF logo since '62.

Meathead
01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
You also forgot the Saints played all their home games in San Antone in 2005, we didn't start until 2008.

does green bay still play one of their home games somewhere else

gebobs
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
does green bay still play one of their home games somewhere elseNo. They played some games in Milwaukee from '33 to '94.

pmoon6
01-09-2014, 07:07 AM
James Harris was not the first black QB. He was the first black QB to start a game in the post-merger NFL era. But there were other quarterbacks earlier going back as far as the 20's (though admittedly the game was far different then). Just prior to the merger, Marlin Briscoe started several games for Denver in the AFL.

Of course, Harris was never given a fair shake in Buffalo. He only started two games behind uber-goober Dennis Shaw and became the second MVP QB the Bills let go after Daryl Lamonica.That's a little misleading. Briscoe was thrown into QB duty for Denver because the first two or three QBs went down to injury. James Harris was drafted as a QB. You may be right about Harris not getting a fair shake, but Shaw was rookie of the year and played well on a bad team. You also have to remember that the team he was traded to was the Los Angeles Rams who had Harold Jackson, Lawrence McCutcheon and a stellar offensive line. Saying Harris was some kind of great QB is also misleading. He had a couple of good years with the Rams and he was traded because they drafted Pat Haden. You make it sound like the Bills traded away Johnny Unitas in his prime.

gebobs
01-09-2014, 09:33 AM
That's a little misleading. Briscoe was thrown into QB duty for Denver because the first two or three QBs went down to injury.
Briscoe was a QB in college. Although he was used initially as a DB, the fact remains that he was the first black to start a game in the AFL.

Saying Harris was some kind of great QB is also misleading.
All I said was he was an MVP. He was MVP of the '74 Pro Bowl.

You make it sound like the Bills traded away Johnny Unitas in his prime.
I never meant to imply that but Harris was definitely better than Shaw just as Lamonica was better than Kemp.

pmoon6
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Briscoe was a QB in college. Although he was used initially as a DB, the fact remains that he was the first black to start a game in the AFL.

All I said was he was an MVP. He was MVP of the '74 Pro Bowl.

I never meant to imply that but Harris was definitely better than Shaw just as Lamonica was better than Kemp.My Dad and I were pissed when they made the Lamonica trade. We thought we were set at QB and then Ralph ****ed it up. The first of many if you don't count Pete Gogolak.

gebobs
01-09-2014, 10:50 AM
My Dad and I were pissed when they made the Lamonica trade. We thought we were set at QB and then Ralph ****ed it up. The first of many if you don't count Pete Gogolak.

Cutting Cookie Gilchrist?

pmoon6
01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Cutting Cookie Gilchrist?Yeah, good catch. That was stupid as well. You need a few pages to list all of Wilson's dumb ass moves.

If I didn't have such emotional ties to the Bills, I wouldn't even follow football. This season was my 50th.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Yeah, good catch. That was stupid as well. You need a few pages to list all of Wilson's dumb ass moves.

If I didn't have such emotional ties to the Bills, I wouldn't even follow football. This season was my 50th.

I'm sorry for your losses.

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Cutting Cookie Gilchrist?

Sabin hated Gilchrist.

Are we saying that Wilson made GM decisions back in the day?

gebobs
01-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Sabin hated Gilchrist.

Are we saying that Wilson made GM decisions back in the day?

Why does it matter who made the decision? Regardless, do you think Saban is going to cut his star running back, the guy that led the league in points scored in each year he was on the team, without Wilson's approval? I dunno. Maybe he did.

pmoon6
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Sabin hated Gilchrist.

Are we saying that Wilson made GM decisions back in the day?Yes, he regularly got rid of players without even consulting the coach.

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Why does it matter who made the decision? Regardless, do you think Saban is going to cut his star running back, the guy that led the league in points scored in each year he was on the team, without Wilson's approval? I dunno. Maybe he did.

You never heard the story of John Lypoldt who was cut during the press conference after a game by Sabin?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, he regularly got rid of players without even consulting the coach.

I call BS on this.

gebobs
01-14-2014, 03:28 PM
You never heard the story of John Lypoldt who was cut during the press conference after a game by Sabin?
Sure. I was at that game. What does that have to do with Gilchrist?

Leypoldt got canned after missing three chip shot FG's in the season opener against Miami. If that was Saban's call, good on him. Of course, his replacement, Benny Ricardo, sucked worse and was run out of town two weeks later. So then they bring on another klutz, George Jakowenko, who even struggled with PATs (missed 3 of 24). More epic fail by the Bills franchise.

And that's kind of the point of the back and forth that moonie and I have been engaging in.

Speaking of good ol' Benny...he now had a standup routine that is just slightly less comical than his kicking.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S95spsNi2vw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Sure. I was at that game. What does that have to do with Gilchrist?

Leypoldt got canned after missing three chip shot FG's in the season opener against Miami. If that was Saban's call, good on him. Of course, his replacement, Benny Ricardo, sucked worse and was run out of town two weeks later. So then they bring on another klutz, George Jakowenko, who even struggled with PATs (missed 3 of 24). More epic fail by the Bills franchise.

And that's kind of the point of the back and forth that moonie and I have been engaging in.

Speaking of good ol' Benny...he now had a standup routine that is just slightly less comical than his kicking.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S95spsNi2vw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sabin made the moves. Besides, Gilchrist had quit on the team at times. Are you saying that you would support a player that gave up on the team and a game because he didn't feel he was being utilized properly?

gebobs
01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Sabin made the moves. Besides, Gilchrist had quit on the team at times. Are you saying that you would support a player that gave up on the team and a game because he didn't feel he was being utilized properly?
I never heard that. Not once. Cookie was an excitable boy, for sure and I bet he hated Saban (two a's, no i) and Wilson. But the mothereffer made the rest of the NFL his *****. So give me the choice between the three. I'll take Cookie every day of the week and twice on Sunday in the Old Rockpile over Saban or Ralph. Sure he was out of football within a few years, but the Bills would have been far better off if both those other schmucks were gone earlier.

Most of all effing Wilson. Worst owner ever. The only way he could EVER gain any respect for me is if he willed the team to the city. (I fantasize about this...it makes my coworkers uneasy)

chernobylwraiths
01-15-2014, 06:22 AM
I never heard that. Not once. Cookie was an excitable boy, for sure and I bet he hated Saban (two a's, no i) and Wilson. But the mothereffer made the rest of the NFL his *****. So give me the choice between the three. I'll take Cookie every day of the week and twice on Sunday in the Old Rockpile over Saban or Ralph. Sure he was out of football within a few years, but the Bills would have been far better off if both those other schmucks were gone earlier.

Most of all effing Wilson. Worst owner ever. The only way he could EVER gain any respect for me is if he willed the team to the city. (I fantasize about this...it makes my coworkers uneasy)

Without Wilson, there probably is no team. Sabin is considered the best coach in Bills history by some. And Gilchrist, while a great player was outspoken and a bit of a head case. Sure some of it was because he was black during a time when blacks were treated abominably, but he wasn't always a team player, especially when he didn't get his way.

Oh, and for the record, while Sabin IS considered a great former coach, he was a headcase himself.

And, this "worst owner ever" crap should just stop. Many owners have been worse, many owners have moved their teams, so spare us.

chernobylwraiths
01-15-2014, 06:23 AM
I apologize for derailing this thread.

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2014, 06:57 AM
He is not even the worst owner in Buffalo sports history.

(See John Rigas and John Y. Brown)

gebobs
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Without Wilson, there probably is no team.
Of course. He has been a blessing and a curse for the city. As for my "worst owner" comment, perhaps a bit hyperbolic. He still sucks. He is the common factor in the general failure of the franchise.

chernobylwraiths
01-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Of course. He has been a blessing and a curse for the city. As for my "worst owner" comment, perhaps a bit hyperbolic. He still sucks. He is the common factor in the general failure of the franchise.

He certainly has made mistakes, but I'm OK with him as owner. We shall see what the next owner brings.

pmoon6
01-16-2014, 06:41 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I call BS on this.Really? When Wilson traded Daryle Lamonica and Glenn Bass, he told Lamonica he was going to be starting QB the next season. 8 hours later he found out he was traded in a newspaper. We can only speculate if the coach knew or not, but the player didn't.

Ron McDole was traded without John Rauch's knowledge and led to Rauch's resignation a month before the season started.

Look, I don't criticize Wilson very much because he has kept the team in Buffalo, but he has made some incredibly poor decisions. Trying to lowball Chuck Knox on a new contract after he helped end over a decade of frustration and made the playoffs two straight years. Back to Back hires of Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough. The Tom Cousineau debacle, although the pick we got for Cous ended up being Jim Kelly. Letting O.J. Simpson dictate that we draft his buddy, Al Cowlings with the 5th pick or Simpson would sit. The crowning jewel is firing Bill Polian. One of the reasons we can't get a top flight "name" head coach is because of Wilson's reputation around the league due to his track record with employees.

I believe Whalley was a good move and the jury is still out on Marrone, so we shall see.

chernobylwraiths
01-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Really? When Wilson traded Daryle Lamonica and Glenn Bass, he told Lamonica he was going to be starting QB the next season. 8 hours later he found out he was traded in a newspaper. We can only speculate if the coach knew or not, but the player didn't.

Ron McDole was traded without John Rauch's knowledge and led to Rauch's resignation a month before the season started.

Look, I don't criticize Wilson very much because he has kept the team in Buffalo, but he has made some incredibly poor decisions. Trying to lowball Chuck Knox on a new contract after he helped end over a decade of frustration and made the playoffs two straight years. Back to Back hires of Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough. The Tom Cousineau debacle, although the pick we got for Cous ended up being Jim Kelly. Letting O.J. Simpson dictate that we draft his buddy, Al Cowlings with the 5th pick or Simpson would sit. The crowning jewel is firing Bill Polian. One of the reasons we can't get a top flight "name" head coach is because of Wilson's reputation around the league due to his track record with employees.

I believe Whalley was a good move and the jury is still out on Marrone, so we shall see.

I have no idea who was doing what back then. And I agree that Wilson has made some bad decisions. Some REALLY bad decisions. But that will happen over the course of 50 plus seasons. They did all kinds of weird and bad deals back then. Coaching hires are always tricky too. Belichick was bad in Cleveland but great now. You just never know. And Polian was fired because he was a dick and stupid. I don't care who you are, you call the bosses daughter those kinds of names, you aren't going to last very long. Back then Polian had a knack for saying stupid stuff too. You don't get a pass because of who you are, you never should.

I think the game had passed Wilson by awhile ago and I don't think Wilson has had very good health for a while. I'm glad he has given over the day to day resonsibility of the operation of the team over to someone else. Now I just hope they have the people in place to make the right moves.

K-Gun
01-18-2014, 04:03 PM

It would be kinda weird to have a guy named Bill on the helemt, eh? Also, what wwere they thinking to name the team after a gun slinger who was famous for exterminating the animal that thier city is named after?

pmoon6
01-19-2014, 05:00 AM
It would be kinda weird to have a guy named Bill on the helemt, eh? Also, what wwere they thinking to name the team after a gun slinger who was famous for exterminating the animal that thier city is named after?The City wasn't named for the American Bison. It was a bastardized English version of "Beau Fluere" or beautiful river from the French, which the Niagara certainly is.

Also, the bison wasn't exterminated. I saw 50 head just two days ago. You can actually but a whole bison if you have the freezer space to store the meat or shoot one in a canned hunt.

Maybe you can change that to "brink of extinction", but I expect no less from most Yankee twits.

Oh....and Cody was most famous for his Wild West shows. He got the nickname because he killed bison to feed the western Union Army, he didn't just shoot them for sport.

Historian
01-20-2014, 06:39 AM
One of the reasons we can't get a top flight "name" head coach is because of Wilson's reputation around the league due to his track record with employees.

I have to agree, and I believe that in trying to withhold the last year of Wade's salary, Wilson did irrevocable damage to not only his own personal reputation, but to that of the franchise. If you have a contract, and believe you may need to sue in court to get in fulfilled, that is something as a coach that you just don't need on your radar. Most will take being fired as a part of the job, but OTOH, most will sit out a year or two, to weigh their options.

But both prove your point.

Both are relatively young, relatively unknown commodities. That's all that are going to take the job when you create that type of work enviroment.

K-Gun
01-20-2014, 06:05 PM
The City wasn't named for the American Bison. It was a bastardized English version of "Beau Fluere" or beautiful river from the French, which the Niagara certainly is.

Also, the bison wasn't exterminated. I saw 50 head just two days ago. You can actually but a whole bison if you have the freezer space to store the meat or shoot one in a canned hunt.

Maybe you can change that to "brink of extinction", but I expect no less from most Yankee twits.

Oh....and Cody was most famous for his Wild West shows. He got the nickname because he killed bison to feed the western Union Army, he didn't just shoot them for sport.

The French theory of the name of the city is still a theory, nevertheless, there's a ****ing logo of a Buffalo on the Helmet - which is the animal Bill what's his name used to kill. At least we're not the Buffalo Brad's, or Buffalo Steve's.

pmoon6
01-21-2014, 03:58 AM
The French theory of the name of the city is still a theory, nevertheless, there's a ****ing logo of a Buffalo on the Helmet - which is the animal Bill what's his name used to kill. At least we're not the Buffalo Brad's, or Buffalo Steve's.:rofl:

swiper
01-21-2014, 05:00 PM
He certainly has made mistakes, but I'm OK with him as owner. We shall see what the next owner brings.

Minimize much? I've watched the Wilson follies for 40 years. He is the worst owner possible. Just stop with this "Buffalo wouldn't have a team without him" bull****. Buffalo was on the NFLs list of cities at the time. Please stop with the Ralph Wilson apologist ****.

Sabin had plenty of warts. How many times did he get fired?

Wilson is horrid. Ask Reuben Gant.

Gilchrist was a flash in the pan and a head case. All very well known.

You want to talk about how bad Stew Barber was next?

swiper
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
James Harris was not a good QB.

pmoon6
01-22-2014, 04:15 AM
Minimize much? I've watched the Wilson follies for 40 years. He is the worst owner possible. Just stop with this "Buffalo wouldn't have a team without him" bull****. Buffalo was on the NFLs list of cities at the time. Please stop with the Ralph Wilson apologist ****.

You want to talk about how bad Stew Barber was next?Just a correction. Lou Saban usually quit his jobs. He resigned twice in Buffalo and once in Denver. The theory was Ole Lou didn't like staying in one place too long, but it's undoubtedly more complicated than that.

chernobylwraiths
01-22-2014, 11:08 AM

You want to talk about how bad Stew Barber was next?

Well, we can see your hatred for Wilson wouldn't cloud your judgement at all.

I don't know how many times Sabin got fired. I thought he quit most of his jobs.

Hand's of stone Reuben Gant? What's he got to say?

While a headcase, Gilchrist was a whole lot more than a "flash in the pan".

Buffalo was also on the list of cities to get major league baseball and had an NBA team, how did that work out.

I will show Mr Wilson some sense of loyalty because he easily could have moved this team 10 times over and made bucketloads of money doing it. Sure has has profited handsomely from the team, but he could have had much, much more like some greedy great owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder, but hasn't. So, I couldn't care less about your hatred of Wilson. He hasn't been a "great" owner, but he hasn't been a "horrible" one either. And I've been watching just as long as you have.

pmoon6
01-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Well, if you examine some so called "great" owners, they all have their share of ****-ups as well. The Giants blew chunks for twenty years until Parcells got there, yet the Maras are considered great. Same with the Rooneys, they sucked for 40 years until the finally hit the jackpot with Chuck Noll. Lamar Hunt and his scumbag family fielded a Super Bowl winner and then proceeded to be irrelevant for most of the rest of their history. George Halas and the Halas family? Pretty much were bad from 1950 until Ditka, except for one year, and then faded again.

I think Ralph takes more than his share of blame and while I can point out his mistakes, he has done right by Buffalo.

chernobylwraiths
01-23-2014, 06:07 AM
Well, if you examine some so called "great" owners, they all have their share of ****-ups as well. The Giants blew chunks for twenty years until Parcells got there, yet the Maras are considered great. Same with the Rooneys, they sucked for 40 years until the finally hit the jackpot with Chuck Noll. Lamar Hunt and his scumbag family fielded a Super Bowl winner and then proceeded to be irrelevant for most of the rest of their history. George Halas and the Halas family? Pretty much were bad from 1950 until Ditka, except for one year, and then faded again.

I think Ralph takes more than his share of blame and while I can point out his mistakes, he has done right by Buffalo.

That's all I am trying to say about him.

And say what you will about him or about doing it for his own interests, but without him, there is a great chance that the AFL folds.

pmoon6
01-23-2014, 06:18 AM
That's all I am trying to say about him.

And say what you will about him or about doing it for his own interests, but without him, there is a great chance that the AFL folds.I've mentioned that before. He financially supported both the Jets (Titans @ the time) and the Raiders and prevented those franchises from going belly up.

So, you're right, but I don't think it was just a great chance, I think the league would have definitely have folded without Ralph Wilson.

swiper
01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
40 years of losing. 15 years no play-offs (err... forgive me if it's only been 14), and some people still want to laud Wilson. I don't get it. He had a moment of clarity when he let Polian come in, and yet he still could go all the way. Ralph Wilson sucks.

pmoon6
01-24-2014, 03:17 AM
40 years of losing. 15 years no play-offs (err... forgive me if it's only been 14), and some people still want to laud Wilson. I don't get it. He had a moment of clarity when he let Polian come in, and yet he still could go all the way. Ralph Wilson sucks.Well, when you try to sum up a person, you have to include his attributes along with his shortcomings. Practically everyone is neither villain or hero. I'm sure it's much easier to reduce it down to "He sucks" in our one soundbyte world, but that's doing a disservice to both fans and Wilson himself.

It also shows what NFL Fandom and American society, in general, have become.

swiper
01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
And yet he really sucks.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Making the term "Wide Right" famous.

better days
02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Just a correction. Lou Saban usually quit his jobs. He resigned twice in Buffalo and once in Denver. The theory was Ole Lou didn't like staying in one place too long, but it's undoubtedly more complicated than that.

Lou himself said he had wanderlust & didn't like to stay in one place too long.

pmoon6
02-11-2014, 09:37 AM
He will forever be immortalized in NFL Films. "Awww Wally, they're killin' me" and "You can do it, what's more, Ya GOTTA do it"

Paraphrased, so I would appreciate the nitpickers keeping silent.

chernobylwraiths
02-11-2014, 11:14 AM
He will forever be immortalized in NFL Films. "Awww Wally, they're killin' me" and "You can do it, what's more, Ya GOTTA do it"

Paraphrased, so I would appreciate the nitpickers keeping silent.

I was once told a story of a game in which the team he was coaching tied a game. The details are fuzzy because someone told me this a long time ago and I never verified it, but I believe he had a chance to win it at the end but took the tie. When asked by reporters, he said "half a loaf is better than no loaf at all." The next home game, as he came out of the tunnel, he was pelted with hundreds of half loaves of bread.