• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

all new lines

Shake-up creates new lines to face Sens

One of Ted Nolan’s messages to the Sabres since taking over is to be consistent. He reinforced the words by being consistent with Buffalo’s forwards. Despite their struggles, Nolan essentially kept his lines intact. He gave them every opportunity to mesh and improve.

They didn’t, so time’s up.

The biggest shakeup involved the top line of Stafford, center Cody Hodgson and left wing Matt Moulson. They will all be on different lines after extended slumps. Stafford has no goals in 13 games, Moulson has two in 16 and Hodgson has one goal and one assist in 10 outings.

“Our top line is having a little trouble,” Nolan said. “Maybe the chemistry isn’t quite right, so we talked to them and decided instead of trying to have one we’ll have three. We have to get this thing turned around together.”

The lines Monday featured Moulson skating with the hot duo of center Tyler Ennis and right wing Zemgus Girgensons, Stafford with center Steve Ott and left wing Marcus Foligno, and Hodgson in the middle of Luke Adam and Matt D’Agostini. The fourth line was a four-player unit of Ville Leino, Cody McCormick, Brian Flynn and John Scott.

good move to let them skate together for so long despite not producing just to remove that as a player complaint. now nolan has put the focus squarely on the players heads with no lookbacks regarding 'letting chemistry develop', at least for a while

regarding foligno:

“Everybody told me how he was going to be a big, powerful forward and be a force,” Nolan said. “Then I when I got here I saw a big guy. I didn’t see a powerful guy. He wasn’t using his attributes to his benefit. He’s a big man that can be a little bit more physical. He’s been doing that lately, and in return he’s been playing really well for us.”

a little bit more physical? the last guy he fought was spotting with brain matter oozing out his ear canal so yeah i guess so. hopefully just the threat will now keep foligno out of fights bc that was brutal. thank goodness it looks like he doesnt relish that kind of barbarism. as long as the nhl sanctions boxing on ice they force you to try to get guys like foligno (a bruiser who can play) and scott (not so much)
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: all new lines

what i mean to say is im glad we have two seriously good fighters on the team - and i hope we never use them that way again. it would be nice if this team can be clean and physical (a nolan trademark) without having to fight after every good check
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

ville leino on being scratched "im not exactly sure what they want out of me."

GTFO.

leino would be fine if he gave the sabres 15 goals and 15 assists year in, year out, with good two way hockey. hes not doing anything.
      Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• SkateZilla
        • Dec 2002

at this point Nolan is just putting on a PR show to keep people interested.
        Skate Zilla
        -----------------------
        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Yeah, well you can take a shovel of manure, a bag of sweaty hockey gear, Marcel Dareus' game-worn tighty-whiteys and Rush Limbaugh's chair and pair them up however you want. They're still gonna stink.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Well they won tonight.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              Well they won tonight.
              Well wins are always nice but they still only managed one goal in regulation. They also gave up the extra point in the standings to a div opponent (although we are so far out of the playoff hunt it doesn't matter this year- but that won't always be the case).
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SkateZilla
                • Dec 2002

Giving points isnt on the list of things to worry about, we arent gonna catch anyone with 1 win for every 5 to 6 losses.
                Skate Zilla
                -----------------------
                Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla View Post
                  Giving points isnt on the list of things to worry about, we arent gonna catch anyone with 1 win for every 5 to 6 losses.
                  It doesn't matter this year but I don't want the young guys to get in the mindset that it doesn't matter. There are usually only a few points' difference between 7 and 10, so when the team is good enough to make the playoffs, 2 or 3 conf games that go to OT could very well be the difference.

It's just like the Bills: winning or losing the next 2 games changes nothing, but this team has been going through the motions for far too long. I want them to win to move away from this "losing is ok" mentality.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

Like the bills, if they weed out the weak and get the good guys more time, it's good in the long run. especially if the losses can pile up in the meantime. They need a day 1 superstar. and frankly that won't be enough for 2014-2015 season. we'll need one more. Once we have that, i think the turnaround could happen pretty quickly.

What really should help the sabres is that Miller (the saving grace of not routinely getting blown out) is doubling his work once the olympics start. so when we resume, he should pretty much be at the end of his rope of holding this all together and seeing what playing on a decent team looks like.

I don't buy that culture of losing for the sabres. The games aren't as meaningful in a very long season. and once you start winning, you forget the losing pretty quickly. in football its an issue because ever game matters and being clutch in your few moments matter. in hockey it evens out a bit and once you go on a streak, it starts turning around real fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X