X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thurmal
    • Oct 2005

Encounters with Bills Players

With the season as good as over (still hoping the Bills crush Miami at home and/or upset NE to rob them of home-field advantage), I figured I would start a thread that doesn't involve *****ing about EJ Manuel or deluding ourselves into resigning Jairus Byrd.

It would be cool to hear some stories about times you've met Bills players. Positive experiences are obviously awesome, but I want to hear the negative stuff too, of course. My story is pretty tame:

I met Ernie Warlick (who played LONG before my time) at a mall in Buffalo once when I was about 13. Got to shake his hand and, I'm not exaggerating here, his mitts were so big that during the shake, his fingers touched close to the middle of my forearm.

Your turn...
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."
  • Tiburon1724
    • Sep 2005

Re: Encounters with Bills Players

Well I didn't really "meet" him per se, but at the Hall of Fame game in Canton a few years back after the game, many people were lined up where the players have to exit the locker room to board the bus. Most had headphones on and just walked straight by. Marshawn came out and a few teens next to us had a Beast Mode sign. They yelled asking him to sign it. He grabbed it and took off back into the locker room. Quite a long time went by, we were starting to think he wasn't bringing it back, but eventually he did, with it autographed by him and whoever else was still in the locker room. Pretty cool, always liked the guy. My aunt met him once in Buffalo because she was in a car accident with him (no joke).

Comment

• Crisis
      • Aug 2004

John Fina spoke at my elementary school when I was really young (don't remember specific grade). There was a Q&A and I asked him what DE gave him the most trouble and he answered Anthony Pleasant.

When I was around five I met Jim Kelly while he was getting an MRI on his leg or knee. My dad is an engineer that works on them so I went to work with him that night and Jimbo was there. I don't remember much because of how young I was, just remember my dad going up to him and asking him how the leg was all casually which blew my five year old mind. I honestly don't remember anything else about that.

My friend growing up lived down the street from Mike Peca in Amherst.

My stories are all awful, haven't lived in Buffalo since I was a teenager and I have a **** memory.
      Last edited by Crisis; 12-15-2013, 12:24 AM.
      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
      Vanek is Austrian not European
      Originally posted by Prov401
      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
      Originally posted by better days
      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Thread title sounds creepy in a Sandusky kinda way.

Comment

• pmoon6
          Legendary Zoner
          • Dec 2002

I met Kelly at a card show in Houston. I'm not into that kinda thing, but my boss was and he was from Buffalo as well. He had to go to his daughter's wedding, so I got the job of getting Jimbo to sign his miniature Bill's helmet and football. I saw a problem from the gitgo. He wanted Kelly's signature UNDER the Thurman Thomas one he already had. Sure enough, Kelly gave me some **** about it and then reluctantly signed. We also had to wait an extra 30 minutes in line because Jim was late and he was obviously hungover.

I met Warlick as well when he opened his burger franchise. I was still a kid, but like Thurmal said, huge hands.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

I ran the old mini golf and batting cages on Southwestern in Hamburg for one season. Doug Flutie and his wife came in to hit baseballs. She was better than him at baseball. Not that he was bad. She was just really good. He was nice and signed a personalized autograph for us.

A negative story. Back in the days when the Bills had training camp in Fredonia. My sister was at the bar Sunny's in Fredonia talking to Thurman Thomas. He put his hand on her leg and started running it up under her skirt up her thigh. When she told him to knock it off his response was don't you know who I am?

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              Thread title sounds creepy in a Sandusky kinda way.
              Ya had to take it there, coastal...

I've had a couple, but my dad's is the best (although its not a Bill so technically I'm breaking the rule).

I grew up in Williamsville and my dad blew out his ankle about 30 years ago so he was doing rehab at the Village Glen. Jerry Butler came in for rehab as well. My dad and he chatted it up a few times. My dad asked if he wouldn't mind if I came in to meet him during one of his rehab sessions. He was cool with it so one day my dad signed me out of school and I got to go there and chat with him about football for maybe 30 minutes or so. Great experience... Butler was a stand up guy and it made me realize that these guys on the field are just regular people in the end.

John Fina went to the University of Arizona a few years before I did. He came back to town in 94 or 95 and came in to the restaurant I worked at. I talked to him for a few minutes about the common bond (Buffalo/Tucson). Nothing groundbreaking there.

My dad went to Dallas right after the Super Bowl years. He was waiting for a table at a steak houset at the bar and accidentally bumped the guy sitting next to him as he sat down. He didn't realize who the guy was. He said the guy was really nice, apologized for it, and offered to buy him and his friend a drink. They talked for about 10 minutes until the hostess came and got my dad a table. Turns out it was Emmit Smith. The waitress had to tell my dad. My dad said he was one of the nicest guys he ever met in his life. And my dad has been a Bills fan since day one... plus this was in 95. I had a hard time disliking Emmit Smith after hearing his story.

Comment

• pmoon6
                Legendary Zoner
                • Dec 2002

I also have a great story about Ed Kelly's wife (I don't remember her name) Ed always came to the sportsbar I frequented to watch the games. So I sorta knew him. Anyway, the bar had a lounge type thing (Sofas and padded chairs) in front of the big screen that had the Bills' game.We were playing Seattle and this Seahawks' Fan comes in and sits in the lounge are with a Curt Warner jersey on (nobody sat there except Bills' Fans). Ed's wife was sitting on a couch with a broken leg and this guy was behind her. Jimbo gets hurt and the guy stands up and starts fist pumping and cheering. She stands up, broken leg and all and starts yelling at him and sticking her finger in his chest. "That's my family you're messing with" was one of the things she said. Well, I was at Ed's table back behind and we all stand up thinking the guy might do something. Ed is as big as Jim and was in about the same shape, he looked like he could have played as well. This guy would have gotten crushed. I don't know if he knew better or was just embarrassed because a woman dressed him down, but he turned round with a beet red face and slunk out of the bar. Too funny.
                Last edited by pmoon6; 12-15-2013, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                  Ya had to take it there, coastal...

I've had a couple, but my dad's is the best (although its not a Bill so technically I'm breaking the rule).

I grew up in Williamsville and my dad blew out his ankle about 30 years ago so he was doing rehab at the Village Glen. Jerry Butler came in for rehab as well. My dad and he chatted it up a few times. My dad asked if he wouldn't mind if I came in to meet him during one of his rehab sessions. He was cool with it so one day my dad signed me out of school and I got to go there and chat with him about football for maybe 30 minutes or so. Great experience... Butler was a stand up guy and it made me realize that these guys on the field are just regular people in the end.

John Fina went to the University of Arizona a few years before I did. He came back to town in 94 or 95 and came in to the restaurant I worked at. I talked to him for a few minutes about the common bond (Buffalo/Tucson). Nothing groundbreaking there.

My dad went to Dallas right after the Super Bowl years. He was waiting for a table at a steak houset at the bar and accidentally bumped the guy sitting next to him as he sat down. He didn't realize who the guy was. He said the guy was really nice, apologized for it, and offered to buy him and his friend a drink. They talked for about 10 minutes until the hostess came and got my dad a table. Turns out it was Emmit Smith. The waitress had to tell my dad. My dad said he was one of the nicest guys he ever met in his life. And my dad has been a Bills fan since day one... plus this was in 95. I had a hard time disliking Emmit Smith after hearing his story.
                  Great stuff. I never disliked Emmitt or Aikman. Michael Irvin is another story.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Back in 2001 I was at this gas station one time when this black dude came up to me...ahh...nevermind.
                    Last edited by TacklingDummy; 12-15-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Back in the day...

I did shots with Sherman White, and had a couple of beers with Reggie McKenzie.
                      Had to have Lou Piccone move his vet because he blocked me in.
                      Played racketball against Charles Romes.
                      Played HS B-Ball against Shane Conlan, if that counts for anything.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                        I ran the old mini golf and batting cages on Southwestern in Hamburg for one season. Doug Flutie and his wife came in to hit baseballs. She was better than him at baseball. Not that he was bad. She was just really good. He was nice and signed a personalized autograph for us.

A negative story. Back in the days when the Bills had training camp in Fredonia. My sister was at the bar Sunny's in Fredonia talking to Thurman Thomas. He put his hand on her leg and started running it up under her skirt up her thigh. When she told him to knock it off his response was don't you know who I am?
                        Yeah, I've got a couple of second-hand stories about him that aren't too flattering.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

My sister was at the bar Sunny's in Fredonia talking to Thurman Thomas. He put his hand on her leg and started running it up under her skirt up her thigh. When she told him to knock it off his response was don't you know who I am?
                          he did that to me once too. but i just let him keep going
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

When I was just turning seven, my parents made a special stop in Buffalo on our way back from visiting family in Michigan so I could get a chance to see some of my favorite players. It was just after training camp, and the Bills were practicing at the college next to the stadium. I waited outside their entrance to the stadium and got autographs as they were heading to the locker room, and heading back out to leave. Some of the guys that went a little above and beyond in spending a little time with me that day were Joe Ferguson, Fred Smerlas, Isaih Robinson, and Roland Hooks. Fergy took a picture with me next to his Jeep. While I was down near the tunnel getting the autographs and chatting, an older guy started talking to my mom and said something like, "That kid sure seems like he's having a good time." Then my mom explained my love for the Bills and how they made a special trip through Buffalo to surprise me as a sort of birthday present. After a few more pleasant words, the guy walked away and down toward me, and then signed my football. The older guy my mom was talking to turned out to be Chuck Knox.

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

Sunny's! Now there's a blast from the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X