X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

How Would You Fix The Bills Defense?

They keep giving up big chunks. They are slightly better than last year on D. The lowlight of the season for me came last week when I saw Dave Wannstedt smiling on the Tampa Bay sidelines.

The Bills have the sacks. They have the picks. What don't they have?

Manny Lawson and Kiko Alonso have played good football this year.

Are the Bills one linebacker, or one defensive lineman away from being great on defense?

Mario Williams has had a good year, but is he worth his contract?

If you were Doug Whaley, what would you do on D in 2014?
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: How Would You Fix The Bills Defense?

the problems with the defense... missed tackles, poor gap control, lack of a dominant 2-gap NT, and we're weak at OLB. throw in the fact our CBs are average and you have the bills defense in a nutshell.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

I'd get a run stuffing defensive tackle and rotate Williams, Dareus, and Stuffer along with a quick tank of a linebacker to free up Alonso more.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

A great NT would seal the gaps, another LB that's a clone of Kiko that pursues well. That would make us a top 10 defense, maybe top 5.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

More linebackers.

And a speech therapist for Leodis..

Comment

• lightningbolt444
            • Mar 2007

I think we need another CB and another OLB at a minimum. I would like to see them add another DE as well. I think part of the problem is the linemen pin their ears back and go after sacks instead of playing the run at times. As good as Alonso has been he also over pursues a good amount and that has lead to some of the big runs. I think that will solve itself with time.

We need a #2 Cb and move Mckelvin to #3. I am a bit dissapointed in Bradham I really thought he would take the next step this season.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

My first take is better depth. Robey again gave up big plays. He made a few too to be fair.

But more vet depth like at CB. Leonhard is spot duty showed what a solid vet backup can add.

My other thought is another playmaking OLB.

Comment

• capitolneal
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                the problems with the defense... missed tackles, poor gap control, lack of a dominant 2-gap NT, and we're weak at OLB. throw in the fact our CBs are average and you have the bills defense in a nutshell.
                I agree a pat Williams or pat Peterson away

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                  • Sep 2007

I say a LB like Mack would be great for this D.
                  To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

This is a good question and definitely worth good discussion. For that, you get a handful of posts. But if you post some stupid knee-jerk, garbage, you get multiple pages of people insulting each other.
                    Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what I would do. It seems like we have the talent and sometimes the defense keeps us in games when the offense is not getting anything done. Those big runs up the middle are a concern, so it goes without saying that we need to get either more disciplined in the middle or more talented. We could use another DT to rotate in, maybe, and we definitely need to upgrade from Nigel Bradham. Some CB depth would be nice, too.

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

The Dline play is so good it's making below average LBs look pretty good on the majority of plays. But on the plays where our LBs have to fight to get off blocks Kiko seems to be the only one capable (he doesn't really seem to get off blocks as much as evades them entirely).

More speed at LB is definitely needed.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

As posted a dozen times before, draft a bigger MLB and a Ted Washington type DT to put next to Dareus. Move Kiko outside so he doesn't take too many direct hits and can run side to side making plays...his strength.

The front 7 is spread out too much. Tighten up so those 2-3 long runs in between the tackles don't happen every game. Every RB gets healthy/better against us and that has to stop.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Kiko may not have enough ass to man the middle...as jimmi noted above, he avoids blocks more than sheds them, and there are times he 'evades' them to the wrong side and gives the runner a clear gap...need a bigger body that can engage, stand up, and shed to make the tackle. Another DT would be nice, and you can never have enough CB's...I also agree with X, a vet FA would be a nice pick-up. Other than that, it's just a matter of cleaning up the fundamentals, getting more experience in Pettine's D, and getting the entire squad to buy into what it takes to stop the run. IMO there are still a couple of guys that are looking for the big play, and not the sound play, and it's hurting the run D...they need to get with the program.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

Can this defense be better? Absolutely.

But I gotta say, that despite giving up a lot of big plays, they are fun to watch!

They play the way that Saint defense played...high risk, lots of turnovers. A couple more players, and they could be dominant.

"I like the action."- Darrin McGavin, The Natural.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              Can this defense be better? Absolutely.

But I gotta say, that despite giving up a lot of big plays, they are fun to watch!

They play the way that Saint defense played...high risk, lots of turnovers. A couple more players, and they could be dominant.

"I like the action."- Darrin McGavin, The Natural.
                              I agree with this. They need to improve on the big play, yes, but I think this D isn't that far away from being dominant.

Comment

Working...
                              X