PDA

View Full Version : Manuel spoke to offense after Tampa*loss

BidsJr
12-16-2013, 10:51 AM
“He took accountability for it and did everything he could throughout the week of practice to make sure he put everyone on the same page when it came time to play on Sunday. That’s the maturation of a young quarterback and hopefully he’ll continue to grow and we can continue to fall in line and get behind him and help him as best we can.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/12/16/manuel-spoke-to-offense-after-tampa-loss/

In any case, no idea how the kid is going to turn out. But at least he is being accountable. He had the chance to fold up his tent and go home after the 1st quarter last week and didn't. Hopefully a full offseason working on footwork will do him some good.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
nobody is questioning this kids character, work ethic, leadership or other 'intangibles'

it's his inaccuracy, inconsistency, decision making and other issues that have been the question. to be fair, he (after the first quarter) had a very solid game.

HAMMER
12-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Manuel is going to be a stud, give it some time armchair GM's, rookie QB's tend to make mistakes, shocker!

Bangarang
12-16-2013, 01:11 PM
nobody is questioning this kids character, work ethic, leadership or other 'intangibles'

it's his inaccuracy, inconsistency, decision making and other issues that have been the question. to be fair, he (after the first quarter) had a very solid game.

I'm glad that his only problems are things that get better with more experience and coaching.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm glad that his only problems are things that get better with more experience and coaching.

I certainly hope that's the case. I'm rooting for him.

WagonCircler
12-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Exactly.

He's got everything from a character and leadership standpoint that he needs. Seems like a great kid.

But I just can't get past that first quarter. To me, the rest of the game was pedestrian, at best. But that first quarter was Billy Joe Hobert-like. Maybe even scab QB in replacement games bad (Willie Totten?).

I just don't know if you can fix that kind of inaccuracy. And when you factor in that he's functioning in a vastly simplified Offense, and the fact that he STILL hasn't learned to protect the football when running, there are serious problems that I'm not sure are fixable.

Maybe they're fixable to a serviceable level, but we need a franchise QB, not another mediocrity.

better days
12-16-2013, 01:52 PM

He just needs to settle down & get comfortable to improve his accuracy. An improved OL next year will help EJ's accuracy a lot IMO.

better days
12-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Exactly.

He's got everything from a character and leadership standpoint that he needs. Seems like a great kid.

But I just can't get past that first quarter. To me, the rest of the game was pedestrian, at best. But that first quarter was Billy Joe Hobert-like. Maybe even scab QB in replacement games bad (Willie Totten?).

I just don't know if you can fix that kind of inaccuracy. And when you factor in that he's functioning in a vastly simplified Offense, and the fact that he STILL hasn't learned to protect the football when running, there are serious problems that I'm not sure are fixable.

Maybe they're fixable to a serviceable level, but we need a franchise QB, not another mediocrity.

No question the 1st Qtr was TERRIBLE. But he settled down after that. Rather than packing it in, he competed.

And while Marrone said they were simplifying the offense, he also said they had put a lot of stuff in recently..............looks like too much was put in too fast.

The next two games will be in Buffalo & Foxboro where EJ will show the arm strength the Bills drafted him for. He just needs to be coached up.

coastal
12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Let's see what the kid does with Miami and NE.

His play determines whether I would target a QB in round 1 or 3 next year.

ICRockets
12-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Just so we're clear...here's EJ's stat line: 17/24, 193 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT...10 rushes, 37 yards, 1 TD....2 fumbles, 1 lost

EJ started 0/5 with that INT. They were 5 wildly inaccurate passes from a QB who looked like he had just been forced to binge-watch Hostages and was made dumber for experiencing it.

Which means in the rest of the game he was 17/19 for 193 yards and 2 TDs, and also the rushing TD. More touchdowns than incompletions for the rest of the game, and you call it pedestrian.

Giving EJ credit for rebounding from an abysmal start doesn't remove the criticism he deserves for that start. Yet you refuse to give credit where it's due. Why should any of us care about your take in the future if we know what you're going to say before you say it? Food for thought.

EDS
12-16-2013, 03:07 PM
The Jags were so bereft of talent yesterday that it is disapointing the Bills did not blow them out.

Meathead
12-16-2013, 03:44 PM
im one of the ones that expects patience is required with ej and that he will end up being a very good (but probably not great) qb for us for a long time, but the start of that game had me starting to waver. coming off his worst performance of the season it sure looked like he was just going to keep that horrible performance going. i mean it wasnt just bad it was comically bad. after the first five passes i was telling my dad that hes got to do a complete 180 from this point on - and he did. to be able to start that bad and then completely turn it around is very very encouraging

coastal
12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
im one of the ones that expects patience is required with ej and that he will end up being a very good (but probably not great) qb for us for a long time, but the start of that game had me starting to waver. coming off his worst performance of the season it sure looked like he was just going to keep that horrible performance going. i mean it wasnt just bad it was comically bad. after the first five passes i was telling my dad that hes got to do a complete 180 from this point on - and he did. to be able to start that bad and then completely turn it around is very very encouragingi don't know about encouraging... in my view he did nothing to answer any questions about him being the guy.

WagonCircler
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Just so we're clear...here's EJ's stat line: 17/24, 193 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT...10 rushes, 37 yards, 1 TD....2 fumbles, 1 lost

EJ started 0/5 with that INT. They were 5 wildly inaccurate passes from a QB who looked like he had just been forced to binge-watch Hostages and was made dumber for experiencing it.

Which means in the rest of the game he was 17/19 for 193 yards and 2 TDs, and also the rushing TD. More touchdowns than incompletions for the rest of the game, and you call it pedestrian.

Giving EJ credit for rebounding from an abysmal start doesn't remove the criticism he deserves for that start. Yet you refuse to give credit where it's due. Why should any of us care about your take in the future if we know what you're going to say before you say it? Food for thought.

193 yards in the NFL is pedestrian. And 17/19, as long as we're cherry picking, is a lot less impressive when the vast majority of your passes travel less than 10 yards.

The maiden voyage of the Titanic went swimmingly except for that iceberg.

better days
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
193 yards in the NFL is pedestrian. And 17/19, as long as we're cherry picking, is a lot less impressive when the vast majority of your passes travel less than 10 yards.

The maiden voyage of the Titanic went swimmingly except for that iceberg.

3 TD's that is more than Brady had yesterday. And a 105 QB rating is hardly pedestrian.

WagonCircler
12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
3 TD's that is more than Brady had yesterday. And a 105 QB rating is hardly pedestrian.

So by your logic, Matt Flynn is WAAAAYYYYYY better than Tom Brady, right? After all, he had 4 TD passes.

5 consecutive HORRENDOUS quarters, followed by 3 mediocre quarters....

CHAMPIONSHIP!

It's like I said before, the saddest commentary on Bills fans is how easily we accept mediocrity as "progress."

It's what Russ the Snake Oil Salesman counts on.

Keep feeding us chickens.hit and telling us it's chicken salad!

DynaPaul
12-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Wow, you're delusional. I'll bet you think him breaking the TD record for rookie QBs was quite the feat too.

ICRockets
12-16-2013, 06:03 PM

It was a roughly 2:1 count on short to deep completions, but you also have to consider he had 2 or 3 deep throws that we got flags on. You also should keep in mind that EJ Manuel didn't throw a single incompletion in the 2nd half.

Again, the first 5 throws were some of the most inaccurate throws I've seen from any QB, ever. I'm not saying EJ is a gift from God. I'm saying he's a rookie with obvious talent and obvious areas of improvement. At the end of his first season, playing through a knee strain, with a simplified (read: pedestrian) playbook? I'll chalk this game up as one that shows EJ's potential AND his pitfalls and move on to next week hoping he shows more of the former. What more can we ask right now?

swiper
12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
It was a roughly 2:1 count on short to deep completions, but you also have to consider he had 2 or 3 deep throws that we got flags on. You also should keep in mind that EJ Manuel didn't throw a single incompletion in the 2nd half.

Again, the first 5 throws were some of the most inaccurate throws I've seen from any QB, ever. I'm not saying EJ is a gift from God. I'm saying he's a rookie with obvious talent and obvious areas of improvement. At the end of his first season, playing through a knee strain, with a simplified (read: pedestrian) playbook? I'll chalk this game up as one that shows EJ's potential AND his pitfalls and move on to next week hoping he shows more of the former. What more can we ask right now?

No play-offs for what? 15 years? Almost?

Take a look at what Matt Cassel did yesterday. We could have had him.

Take a look at what Flynn did. WE HAD him.

How about Cousins? The Bills couldn't pull that off. They had to have some absolute failure named TJ Graham instead.

We CAN ask for more than EJ Manuel nad we SHOULD ask for more.

ICRockets
12-16-2013, 06:50 PM
No play-offs for what? 15 years? Almost?

Take a look at what Matt Cassel did yesterday. We could have had him.

Take a look at what Flynn did. WE HAD him.

How about Cousins? The Bills couldn't pull that off. They had to have some absolute failure named TJ Graham instead.

We CAN ask for more than EJ Manuel nad we SHOULD ask for more.

You should post more, you're hilarious.

Meathead
12-16-2013, 08:29 PM
in my view he did nothing to answer any questions about him being the guy.

well he answered the question that he can start nightmarishly bad and pull out of it like he snapped his fingers or something. the fact that he did it on the road the week after his worst performance as a pro in tb i thought was very significant

he also answered the question that he wasnt going to automatically suck ass every single away game he played

im not thrilled with him but i am encouraged

i mean this is only sports so ppl can enjoy it any way they want but i dont understand all the whining like fans really have any idea what hes going to turn out to be. 99.9% of all rookie qbs are a crapshoot. even if a guy is drafted in the top five overall its no better than 30%-ish that hes even going to be a starter anywhere past his first two seasons let alone a franchise type that starts for a decade

theres just no way any of us could possibly have any real confidence whatsoever whether he is going to make it or not. everybody wants a russell wilson but the truth is a non-top-five rook who comes in and does consistently well right off the bat is even more rare than the andrew lucks that are drafted super high and perform reasonably well their first season - and even those guys are rare

we all knew ej was going to be a project but his size, physical gifts, and excellent maturity made him a very good long term gamble at fifteen. to expect him to be much more than what he has been is pretty unreasonable imo

better days
12-16-2013, 08:48 PM
So by your logic, Matt Flynn is WAAAAYYYYYY better than Tom Brady, right? After all, he had 4 TD passes.

5 consecutive HORRENDOUS quarters, followed by 3 mediocre quarters....

CHAMPIONSHIP!

It's like I said before, the saddest commentary on Bills fans is how easily we accept mediocrity as "progress."

It's what Russ the Snake Oil Salesman counts on.

Keep feeding us chickens.hit and telling us it's chicken salad!

Matt Flynn was way better than Brady YESTERDAY!

One game does not make a career.

But yesterday YES Flynn was better than Brady as was EJ.