PDA

View Full Version : Steelers-Bengals Game Question

Minotaur95
12-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I was hoping to see something ion this on the 'Net. I haven't looked extensively, but...

On the opening series, the Bengals tried a WR screen. Polamalu CLEARLY hit the receiver before the ball got there. Not pass interference?

So I thought... well, maybe they called it a lateral. That doesn't make sense, either. Why would they blow the play dead when the OL picked it up if it was a lateral?

I heard NO mention of it from the broadcasters, except I think Collinsworth mentioned Troy hit him before the ball got there. He didn't say it should have been PI, though.

What am I missing?

The King
12-16-2013, 11:34 AM
You can make contact within 5 yards of the LOS?

Minotaur95
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I didn't think you could with the ball in the air... is that my mistake?

Minotaur95
12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference
"There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. <b>The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand.</b> Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone. "

Emphasis added.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-16-2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference
"There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone. "

Emphasis added.

Keep reading

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Minotaur95
12-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Thank you.

MikeInRoch
12-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I recall a play in a Bills/Bengals game back when Takeo was on Buffalo. It was supposed to be a middle screen, but Takeo absolutely crushed the running back while the ball was in the air. It ended up being a pick six because the RB was on the ground. This rule is why there was no call there, either.

stuckincincy
12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Anybody see the non call on punter Huber's jaw being broken? The td that stood?

Dark days...refs are manipulating outcomes this season. IMO.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Anybody see the non call on punter Huber's jaw being broken? The td that stood?

Dark days...refs are manipulating outcomes this season. IMO.

I was watching a UCLA game this year (can't remember the opponent), when the returner got called for roughing a defenseless player.

The punter.

Who was tackling him.

:rofl: