PDA

View Full Version : When's the last time....

soapman
12-17-2013, 07:48 AM
When's the last time we had a 400 yard pass day? I mean I'm sure I could look it up and I'm sure it was probably Bledsoe. But why is it that Fitzy can go to TN with sub par receivers and go for 402 but could barely hit 200 here. I mean has anyone noticed that we are one of the few teams that don't have at least one 400 yard game in what, the last several years? Maybe there is some relation between that and the 14 year playoff drought.

OpIv37
12-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Lack of a 400 yard pass day is the symptom, not the problem.

The problem is the ****ty FO.

A 400 yard pass day requires three things: a QB, an OL and a WR corps that are above average or better. At any given point over the last 14 years or so, we've lacked at least one of the three, if not more.

The FO thinks they can cut corners: instead of paying for an OL, let's find a mobile QB. Instead of paying for WR's, let's use draft picks and try to get by with a good running game. And when they do finally get close to getting it right, they let guys walk (Levitre), and the perpetual rebuilding cycle continues. Poor drafting, poor FA pickups and general cheapness have led to an incomplete passing game.

Pinkerton Security
12-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Well I understand your point, but Fitz probably AVERAGED over 200 here, yet you say he barely hit 200. He broke 200 yards in 19 out of 32 starts here and broke 250 in 8 of those.

To come back to your point though, we should be a run first team with the running backs we've had. Spiller, Jackson, Lynch, McGahee, even back to Travis Henry, were/are all very good running backs and should have been focal points of the offenses we were running.

That being said, the reason we havent broken 400 yards passing is because we've had s****y QB's lol. Fitz was probably the best of them and thats just sad.

better days
12-17-2013, 08:18 AM
I don't give a damn about yds.

Touchdowns are what is important.

Along with FEW turnovers.

DBrown77
12-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Fitz threw for 400 and still lost....Yards do not always matter.

better days
12-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Yards never matter. POINTS on the board is how the score is kept.

If a team has a good defense & special teams, the offense does not always need to put up a lot of yds to score a lot of points because they are playing on a short field.

OLDSRIP
12-17-2013, 08:45 AM

Exactly, what's Fitz's record in games he starts this year?

gr8slayer
12-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Sub-par WR's? They've got some damn good WR's, man, and a hell of a TE in Walker. That offense has a really bright future.
When's the last time we had a 400 yard pass day? I mean I'm sure I could look it up and I'm sure it was probably Bledsoe. But why is it that Fitzy can go to TN with sub par receivers and go for 402 but could barely hit 200 here. I mean has anyone noticed that we are one of the few teams that don't have at least one 400 yard game in what, the last several years? Maybe there is some relation between that and the 14 year playoff drought.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-17-2013, 10:24 AM
A 400 yard pass day also requires a crappy defensive effort, because no one throws for 400 unless they are in a shootout.

FWIW, I looked it up: Sept 15, 2002 @ Vikings.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200209150min.htm

I remember that game, it was amazing.

GingerP
12-17-2013, 10:39 AM
A 400 yard pass day also requires a crappy defensive effort, because no one throws for 400 unless they are in a shootout.

FWIW, I looked it up: Sept 15, 2002 @ Vikings.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200209150min.htm

I remember that game, it was amazing.

He did it later that year as well. Bledsoe threw for 463 yards on 9/15/2002 against Minnesota (W 45-39) and 417 yards on 10/6/2002 against Oakland (L 49-31).

Kelly did it twice as well, with 405 yards on 1/6/1990 against Cleveland (L 34-30, post-season) and 9/13/1992 against San Fran (W 34-31).

The only other Bills QB was Joe Ferguson, who threw for 419 yards on 10/9/1983 against Miami (W 38-35).

soapman
12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one that would like to see a shoutout or an offensive passing explosion at some point during the last 11 years? It's not a requirement to win no, but it would be nice to see a qb pass for a good chunk of yards. This team has become so boring. I was at Rich Stadium when Kelly was destroying defenses and Ted Marchibroda was masterful with his 6 play offense. Yes I want to win but hell we aren't winning and we aren't looking good losing.

sukie
12-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Before Bledsoe... I think it was Bruce Matheson, 1982... 421 yards against the St Louis Cardinals. It was sunny and 62 that fine october day. No wait. That was Matheson's year yardage total.

Yasgur's Farm
12-17-2013, 12:50 PM
For the record... Losman threw for >300 yards 2 times as a Bill... Holcomb did it once... Edwards had zero games over 300 yards...

The King
12-17-2013, 01:24 PM
That Bledsoe Vikings game was awesome.

BillsFever21
12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't give a damn about yds.

Touchdowns are what is important.

Along with FEW turnovers.

I agree but if you can't pass/move the ball to put yourself into position for TD's and then capitalize when you're in the Red Zone then the rest is useless.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Lack of a 400 yard pass day is the symptom, not the problem.

The problem is the ****ty FO.

A 400 yard pass day requires three things: a QB, an OL and a WR corps that are above average or better. At any given point over the last 14 years or so, we've lacked at least one of the three, if not more.

The FO thinks they can cut corners: instead of paying for an OL, let's find a mobile QB. Instead of paying for WR's, let's use draft picks and try to get by with a good running game. And when they do finally get close to getting it right, they let guys walk (Levitre), and the perpetual rebuilding cycle continues. Poor drafting, poor FA pickups and general cheapness have led to an incomplete passing game.

You are so very close, but you forgot one, and its a biggie:

The fans are pissed off because of the futility they see, but we want them to keep buying tickets and merchandise so lets fire a coaching staff, start all over again with a new coaching staff that is just as woefully inexperienced and lackluster and cheap as the last one and then we can let the old regime's players walk because after all the team is moving in "a new direction."