PDA

View Full Version : Time to Doug Flutie on the Wall

IAG
12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Doug Flutie deserves to be put on the wall at RWS. He came out of nowhere to help pull the team into the playoffs. Secondly, it looked like the team might move, but his play stimulated interest in the team within the region and nation-wide. Finally, he characterized what it meant to be a Buffalo Bill...hardworking and coming on against the odds.

Put him on the wall.

coastal
12-18-2013, 10:07 AM
he characterized what it meant to be a Buffalo Bill...hardworking and coming on against the odds
Just like the highest paid player in the history of the franchise... Mari... er.... wait.

never mind.

imbondz
12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
how long did Flutie play here?

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2013, 10:42 AM
No. Never. It would be a disgrace to put him up there.

WagonCircler
12-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Wow.

Lou Saban won 2 championships for the Bills and was the greatest coach in franchise history, and he's not on the wall.

But let's put a guy who played 39 games for the Bills up there.

OK.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-18-2013, 10:48 AM
What is with people the verb in their topic titles?

Anyway, I like Flutie, but no. He's being romanticized because he was the last QB to get us to the playoffs and he was fun to watch, but come on now.

Historian
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
There are a lot of deserving people, like Eric Moulds, Joe Cribbs, and Stew Barber.

But I would put Dennis Shaw up there before Doug Flutie...

HAMMER
12-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Flutie and the offense averaged under 10 points a game his last year here, we won in spite of Flutie, not because of him. Our defense was dominant and accounted for the rest of the points.

Historian
12-18-2013, 10:57 AM
If I had a vote, (seriously) my next electee would be Bob Chandler.....perhaps Frank Lewis or Jerry Butler after that.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2013, 11:16 AM
If I had a vote, (seriously) my next electee would be Bob Chandler.....perhaps Frank Lewis or Jerry Butler after that.

Ahead of Lou Saban?

TacklingDummy
12-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Screwing Fluite over against Tennessee cost us the Super Bowl and has lead us to the Curse of Flutie ever since.

Skooby
12-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Polian, LOL.

Oaf
12-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Would putting him on the wall appease the curse that has ever been on us?

Skooby
12-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Would putting him on the wall appease the curse that has ever been on us?

No, Ralph's in good health.

Historian
12-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Ahead of Lou Saban?

Yes, I loved Lou.

I also hated him for bailing twice.

Had he been at the helm, we may have made it to SB I.

MikeInRoch
12-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Flutie. The most over-rated Bill EVER.

better days
12-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, I loved Lou.

I also hated him for bailing twice.

Had he been at the helm, we may have made it to SB I.

As the only Coach is Bills history to win a Championship, Lou Saban BELONGS on the wall.

And he did not just win one Championship, but TWO.

It is a TRAVESTY he is not on the wall.

Thurmal
12-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I wish there was an alternate universe where all the Flutie-lovers could see what would have happened if he had started against the Titans. Bills would've gotten absolutely destroyed.

My vote is for Cornelius Bennett to be up next, btw.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I think Russ Brandon should be on the wall.

Even though this team has sucked and sucked hard for the past decade, he's still getting fans to go to games anyway.

ServoBillieves
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Gibran Hamdan FTW (for the wall).

By the way, is Doug Flutie a new dance like crumping? "Time to Doug Flutie". I'm sure someone will get drunk enough to do that dance on the wall at the Ralph...

Generalissimus Gibby
12-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Flutie before Saban? Surely, you can't be serious.

Night Train
12-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Flutie had a good 2nd half of 1 season. (1998)

We are not Boston College.

justasportsfan
12-18-2013, 03:17 PM
TDummy approves this thread but NO! Schobel should go on the wall and I would put Fred Jackson, Moorman up there over Flutie. If he extends another contract Kyle Williams goes up there before the midget too.

better days
12-18-2013, 03:39 PM
TDummy approves this thread but NO! Schobel should go on the wall and I would put Fred Jackson, Moorman up there over Flutie. If he extends another contract Kyle Williams goes up there before the midget too.

Hey I like Flutie. BUT he does NOT belong on ANY wall except Boston College.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Doug Flutie deserves to be put on the wall at RWS. He came out of nowhere to help pull the team into the playoffs. Secondly, it looked like the team might move, but his play stimulated interest in the team within the region and nation-wide. Finally, he characterized what it meant to be a Buffalo Bill...hardworking and coming on against the odds.

Put him on the wall.

Ryan Fitzpatrick too right? What the ****.

IAG
12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
The last time we made the playoffs was when Doug was under center. No respect for Flutie. Imagine that.

Mace
12-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Cookie Gilchrist belongs up there. He didn't spend a long time here, but the guy is mythical and legend for the time he did. He should have went up before he died, before Phil freaking Hansen, who was obviously chosen not to be Gilchrist.

If anyone belongs up there it is Gilchrist. Saban can wait until the next year and then goes up too. Flutie ? I don't think so.

WagonCircler
12-19-2013, 02:29 AM

That's unfair.

Sincerely,
The Calgary Stampeders

YardRat
12-19-2013, 05:20 AM
I think they should announce that Flutie is going up on the wall. Then, when the black curtain is pulled and the name is revealed, it says 'Rob Johnson'.

pmoon6
12-19-2013, 05:39 AM
HaHa. I don't know why Butch Byrd isn't on the Wall. He still leads the Bills in career interceptions in just 7 seasons. A case can be made for Fred Smerlas as well.

Doug Flutie? Really? Maybe if you want to appease the youngsters who were still in diapers when we went to our first Super Bowl.

Saban will never get on the Wall until Ralph has gone on to greener pastures. Neither will Cookie Gilchrist.

stuckincincy
12-19-2013, 05:54 AM
I see that the Flutopians' orbit has brought them around this way again...

pmoon6
12-19-2013, 06:01 AM
I see that the Flutopians' orbit has brought them around this way again...Don't get me wrong, I like Doug Flutie, but to put him on before so many other Buffalo Bill greats is a travesty. There are at least twenty players that are more deserving.

chernobylwraiths
12-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I wish there was an alternate universe where all the Flutie-lovers could see what would have happened if he had started against the Titans. Bills would've gotten absolutely destroyed.

My vote is for Cornelius Bennett to be up next, btw.

LOL, destroyed? He would have given up a safety too? I'm not saying we definitely would have won, but really?

chernobylwraiths
12-19-2013, 06:18 AM
The last time we made the playoffs was when Doug was under center. No respect for Flutie. Imagine that.

I really don't get the hatred for Flutie either. It is probably because they all had posters of Rob Johnson on their walls and it reminds them of how totally wrong they were about that whole argument.

Seriously, he did a lot to help the franchise win, but he wasn't here very long and when I say "win" I mean to just get in the playoffs. The defense also has something to do with it, but the same defense couldn't seem to bail out Johnson.

But there are plenty of more deserving players for the Wall.

pmoon6
12-19-2013, 06:23 AM
LOL, destroyed? He would have given up a safety too? I'm not saying we definitely would have won, but really?Well, I can do him one better. If the Super Bowl (actually the AFL-NFL championship) were played two years earlier, we would have beaten the Browns and the Packers. The AFC championship would have been named the "Ralph Wilson Trophy" and the Buffalo Bills would have mythic status in NFL lore.

Historian
12-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Browns...I believe so.

Packers....I don't think so.

pmoon6
12-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Browns...I believe so.

Packers....I don't think so.Well, the poster gave us a case of "what ifs".

We may not have beaten the Packers, but we matched up well. Strong defense and running game vs. the same on the other side. At any rate, it would have been a great game.

justasportsfan
12-19-2013, 07:08 AM

He's already on TDummy's bathroom wall and on the ceiling right above his bed.

Bill Cody
12-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Flutie. The most over-rated Bill EVER.

winning is not overrated. Replacing Flutie with Robosack was a criminal act.

MikeInRoch
12-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Whether or not Flutie should have been replaced with Robosack is not relevant to considering if Flutie was over-rated.

ticatfan
12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Flutie. The most over-rated Bill EVER.The bill with the stupidest fans in the world, you had a winner but your hatred of the little guy cost you a SB and it looks good on the bills. And you have done nothing but lose since. You deserve what you have.

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
The bill with the stupidest fans in the world, you had a winner but your hatred of the little guy cost you a SB and it looks good on the bills. And you have done nothing but lose since. You deserve what you have.

What?

How did it cost them a Super Bowl?

How is Flutie a "winner"?

What was his record in NFL playoff games?

Bill Cody
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Whether or not Flutie should have been replaced with Robosack is not relevant to considering if Flutie was over-rated.

No because Robosack was the anti Flutie: threw a nice spiral, had the right measurables, put up nice stats. Flutie just found a way to win games. He won in college, he won in the CFL and he won here. Winning ain't over rated.

- - - Updated - - -

What?

What's our record in NFL playoff games in the last 14 years?

BillsFever21
12-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Have we sunk that low as a franchise that some would want to see Doug Flutie put on the Wall of Fame? If all it takes is a couple playoff appearances with average QB play to make the Wall of Fame then that wouldn't be saying much. That would be a disgrace to everyone else on the Wall of Fame and would make us the laughingstock of the NFL.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 03:27 PM
LOL, destroyed? He would have given up a safety too? I'm not saying we definitely would have won, but really?

Safety, which led to punting the ball back to Tenn, setting them up for another easy 7.
That's 9 points, how many did the Bills lose by?

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 03:29 PM

:lmao:

That might be the funniest thing you ever posted.

:up:

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Don't confuse the Flute with KneeJ.

BillsFever21
12-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Safety, which led to punting the ball back to Tenn, setting them up for another easy 7.

Many things happen during a game. When the Bills offense left the field with just seconds to go they had the lead. We can play the "what if" game all we want but if not for a total collapse on special teams we win that game.

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2013, 03:34 PM
- - - Updated - - -

What's our record in NFL playoff games in the last 14 years?

What does that have to do with Flutie's success?

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 03:38 PM
What?

Add your boys KneeJ, Robosack, and Losman regular season wins together and it wouldn't match The Flutes total.

KneeJ almost has more losses (6) in less than a season to the Flute Bills career total (9).

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Many things happen during a game. When the Bills offense left the field with just seconds to go they had the lead. We can play the "what if" game all we want but if not for a total collapse on special teams we win that game.
If not for the safety and 7 points right after, the kickoff wouldn't have mattered either way.

The Flute and real Bills fans got screwed.

BillsFever21
12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
If not for the safety and 7 points right after, the kickoff wouldn't have mattered either way.

You can't look at one play early in the game and call that the deciding factor. Many things happen in a game that changes the way a game is played. We also don't know what would've happened in the game with Flutie's declining noodle arm. After the Bills drove down to take the lead it was out of their hands.

MikeInRoch
12-19-2013, 03:56 PM
No because Robosack was the anti Flutie: threw a nice spiral, had the right measurables, put up nice stats. Flutie just found a way to win games. He won in college, he won in the CFL and he won here. Winning ain't over rated.

I'll use smaller words. It is very possible that both "Flutie was overrated" and "Flutie should have started against Tennessee" are true. Do not assume because I stated the first that I was arguing against the second.

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Add your boys KneeJ, Robosack, and Losman regular season wins together and it wouldn't match The Flutes total.

KneeJ almost has more losses (6) in less than a season to the Flute Bills career total (9).

Rob Johnson and Losman are my boys?

And you base that on what exactly?

As for EJ, I have never said he was going to be great either.

But keep spinning it. Because that is what you need to do.

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 04:21 AM

KneeJ almost has more losses (6) in less than a season to the Flute Bills career total (9).You're comparing a rookie that had no training camp or preseason to a guy that played in three leagues, two NFL teams before finally finding some success with Buffalo? Flutie was nothing more than a stopgap QB that could win you some games. Like I said, I like Flutie aside from the embarrassing truth that he crossed a picket line. He was a good player, just like Frank Reich. I would put Frank up on the Wall before Doug Flutie.

Bill Cody
12-20-2013, 08:54 AM
What does that have to do with Flutie's success?

He gave us a taste of something we hadn't had for a long time and haven't had since. It wasn't enough I'll agree but I'd take the excitement of those years right now in a heartbeat. And if you were being honest you would too.

Bill Cody
12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I'll use smaller words. Thanks I love being patronized while I'm having morning coffee, starts the day off right.

It is very possible that both "Flutie was overrated" and "Flutie should have started against Tennessee" are true. Do not assume because I stated the first that I was arguing against the second.

A lot of things are possible. Personally I don't think he should be on the wall. But overall I think he was underrated. It's very possible both those things are true.

justasportsfan
12-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Flutie although exciting to watch was nothing great at qb. He looked good because his competition looked horrible.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men slinging footballs. Whose gonna do it? You? You, EJ Manuel? I was a greater quarterback than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Losman, and you curse the Patroits. You don't have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what winning is. That Losman bust, while tragic, was predictable. And my existence, while always right and incomprehensible to you, is well right. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about busts, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like pocket awareness, it factor, injure prone. We use these words as the backbone of predicting busts. You use them as a pipe dreams . I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to pussies who rises and sleeps under the EJ Snuggie #3 blankey that your mommy provided, and then questions the manner in which the Bills are headed. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you turn off the TV, and play pocket pool. Either way, I don't give a damn what your opinion is of me.

Col. Flutie

Generalissimus Gibby
12-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Not gonna lie, I bought into the Flutie Mania, **** I still have a jersey somewhere in storage and an autographed box of Flutie Flakes. I know that he has many detractors, but he was the starter on the last few Bills squads whom you thought had at least a chance of winning week in and week out. Did Rob Johnson get a bum rap at the time? Sure, if he could have just stayed healthy and had a quicker release he could have potentially been something. Was Flutie overrated? Yes, but Flutie was a winner. However, while I would not be against Doug eventually getting on the Wall, there are several bills one coach and at least five players who merit inclusion long before him. Off the top of my head and through my nimble fingers and onto your screen via the information super highway they are as follows-

Head Coach Lou Saban- Not only did he win a championship, he won two in a row in 64 and 65 and built a team that made four straight playoff appearances in the 60s from 63 to 66 (even the 66 squad that lost the right to play in the first Superbowl was predominantly built by him). He knew how to play to the strengths of the team and played a form of football that when played right results in success, namely a run oriented offense and a savage hitting defense. Then after nearly six years of agony for the Bills (Collier was unable to keep the team winning and after he was sacked it just kept getting worse) and for Saban (he could never do in Denver what he did in Buffalo, of course back in those days the Chiefs and Raiders were the best teams in the AFL West and San Diego though a fading power was still mainly above average until about 1970) he returned and lo and behold he did what he did the first time around, he built a strong running game based on some guy named OJ Simpson, a dominating O Line and a great defense. He also gave us a playoff spot and in the wildcard era of the nineties or present day those teams would have made two or three trips to the post season. Unfortunately, he won't get enshrined until after Ralph goes to that owner's box in the sky.

Players

Cookie Gilchrist. Lookie Lookie here comes Cookie, he is legendary and IMHO just has a football name. He was a hard nosed runner who from what I understand even terrorized Raider defensive players. Also, he helped Saban build a winner and was an offensive leader on that first championship squad

Butch Byrd. Most prolific interceptor in Bills history and one tough sonovabich

Cornelius Bennett. Part of one of the most extensive trades in NFL history and worth everything we gave up for him. Although the front wall was undersized, the presence of Cornelius Bennett even in his rookie season -- if Jim Kelly, in "Armed and Dangerous" is to be taken seriously -- meant that teams could not concentrate solely on Bruce Smith. As Marcus Allen told inquiring Chiefs fans after we walloped the Chiefs in 94 something like 44-10 "with Bruce and Bennett its pick your poison, you double team one the other wreaks havoc."

Brian Moorman. Name one player who has consistently played well during this long drought of futility and the only one I can readily think of is our punter.

Eric Moulds. The last true number one receiver we have had. He ran all his routes well and was as tough as nails. Also, he didn't drop the ball all that often.

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 10:40 AM
One correction Gibby. The Bills' defense during the Simpson years wasn't good. That's why we only played in one playoff game during his tenure.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-20-2013, 10:42 AM
One correction Gibby. The Bills' defense during the Simpson years wasn't good. That's why we only played in one playoff game during his tenure.

Come on I was in negative digits during those years.

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Come on I was in negative digits during those years.I know, but your knowledge from those years is still pretty good. Must have been a bills' Fan in a previous life.

justasportsfan
12-20-2013, 11:02 AM

Don't confuse the Flute with KneeJ.

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men slinging footballs. Whose gonna do it? You? You, EJ Manuel? I was a greater quarterback than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Losman, and you curse the Patroits. You don't have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what winning is. That Losman bust, while tragic, was predictable. And my existence, while always right and incomprehensible to you, is well right. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about busts, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like pocket awareness, it factor, injure prone. We use these words as the backbone of predicting busts. You use them as a pipe dreams . I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to pussies who rises and sleeps under the EJ Snuggie #3 blankey that your mommy provided, and then questions the manner in which the Bills are headed. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you turn off the TV, and play pocket pool. Either way, I don't give a damn what your opinion is of me.

Col. Flutie

Do I lie? :snicker:

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
I've never said put him on the wall.

He doesn't belong on it, should never happen.

His run, like him, was too short.

Mr. Miyagi
12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Jay Riemersma goes on before Doug Flutie.

Beebe's Kid
12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
I still have a jersey somewhere in storage

How much for that jersey?

It is great to see who is on the wall referred to as a travesty.

Another funny thing to see is the disdain for Flutie. I, for one, am glad he got run off. I have so much more free time now that the Bills' season is over by week 7 every year.

trapezeus
12-20-2013, 12:13 PM
doug flutie is the only time the bills strategy of doing something no one else would be willing to do actually worked out. if the bills put him on the wall, it'd be like russ saying, "we got this. we got this. it's working."

conversely, if putting flutie on the wall reverses the general mojo of total suckitude, i'm all for it.

MikeInRoch
12-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks I love being patronized while I'm having morning coffee, starts the day off right.

Keep using "Benching Flutie was a mistake" as a defense to "Flutie was over-rated", and I'll continue to do it.

TigerJ
12-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Not going to happen, nor should it ever.

Bill Cody
12-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Keep using "Benching Flutie was a mistake" as a defense to "Flutie was over-rated", and I'll continue to do it.
That wasn't the point. The point is Flutie was a winner. Winning is not overrated. After 14 years of losing it's weird that's not more valued.