PDA

View Full Version : Ruled out Manual still to be active per HC Marrone.

stuckincincy
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Evidently, even though EJ Manuel won't play on Sunday, he won't be on the inactive list.

Say what? :pimped:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF/buffalo-bills

lightningbolt444
12-19-2013, 01:20 PM
This smells of Marrone wanting a bit longer look at Thad. I can read that two ways. They want to see if they have to go after a backup QB in the offseason or he is not at all sold on EJ and wants to see if Thad can be better. If the last one is the case I would not rule out a QB to be drafted or a big FA signing like Cutler.

Personally I would love Cutler. He is not the most likable person and can be careless at times but he is not afraid to take shots and I think him and Robert Woods would be very good together.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2013, 01:26 PM
This would be a playoff team with Cutler at QB.

That being said, I'd be shocked if we sign him.

lightningbolt444
12-19-2013, 01:32 PM

I really dont know if it would be for sure I think we still have to many holes. However if we can sign Cutler and have a player or two take a huge step at a position of need we are there.

The biggest thing I want next year is more consistency. The d is not nearly as good as many of us think they are prone to giving up the big play and that needs to stop. The offense and defense to me seem to be great at killing our drives/extending the opponents. Until that stuff is corrected I think we will be a fringe team.

stuckincincy
12-19-2013, 01:34 PM
What does keeping an injured Manual active have to do with Lewis? Or Tuel? :crap:

Roster spots matter - that player (pick any position) that was inactive instead of EJ may make a difference. The only sense I can make of this is that his contract language guaranteed him a minimum of active roster appearances and if they don't it costs them some bucks.

Either way - idiocy.

better days
12-19-2013, 02:36 PM
What does keeping an injured Manual active have to do with Lewis? Or Tuel? :crap:

Roster spots matter - that player (pick any position) that was inactive instead of EJ may make a difference. The only sense I can make of this is that his contract language guaranteed him a minimum of active roster appearances and if they don't it costs them some bucks.

Either way - idiocy.

So you are saying if EJ was not active, the Bills would have to pay him MORE money than if he were inactive?

It doesn't work that way. A bonus is common if a player starts x number of games, but I have NEVER heard of a contract that guaranteed a player playing time or he would be paid more money if he did not get it.

stuckincincy
12-19-2013, 02:45 PM
So you are saying if EJ was not active, the Bills would have to pay him MORE money than if he were inactive?

It doesn't work that way. A bonus is common if a player starts x number of games, but I have NEVER heard of a contract that guaranteed a player playing time or he would be paid more money if he did not get it.

Anything is possible in NFL contracts. Of course I don't know - I thought that was clear.

What you SHOULD be commenting on is keeping Manual active - for no earthly reason - rather than a healhty body that might contribute.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 02:50 PM

The Bills could make up for the mistake of drafting Whitner and KneeJ.

EDS
12-19-2013, 02:51 PM

It would be truly foolish to guarantee playing time to a rookie QB, particularly where there is no precedent for any such contract terms in a rookie deal.

better days
12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Anything is possible in NFL contracts. Of course I don't know - I thought that was clear.

What you SHOULD be commenting on is keeping Manual active - for no earthly reason - rather than a healhty body that might contribute.

While anything is possible, I have NEVER heard of this language in a contract & I am positive I never will see such language.

As for EJ being active, I have no problem with that myself. I think Marrone wants him to feel a part of the team & to be on the bench with his teammates where he can look at the Fins defensive pictures alongside Thad when the Bills are on defense.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 03:19 PM
As for EJ being active, I have no problem with that myself. I think Marrone wants him to feel a part of the team & to be on the bench with his teammates where he can look at the Fins defensive pictures alongside Thad when the Bills are on defense.
I sure hope he was doing that the first 2 times he was injured.

stuckincincy
12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
While anything is possible, I have NEVER heard of this language in a contract & I am positive I never will see such language.

Feeling part of the team....millionaires need hugs...14 years and counting...

Mr. Pink
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Why bother keeping someone active who won't play?

Are they going to be three active QBs Sunday in case Thad gets hurt?

better days
12-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Why bother keeping someone active who won't play?

Are they going to be three active QBs Sunday in case Thad gets hurt?

I already explained why. By being active, EJ can sit on the bench with the rest of the team & when the Bills are on defense, EJ can look at the photos with Thad of the Fins defense & LEARN from that.

Anyone that watched the Jags game saw EJ studying the photos every time the camera showed him which was often.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2013, 04:04 PM
I already explained why. By being active, EJ can sit on the bench with the rest of the team & when the Bills are on defense, EJ can look at the photos with Thad of the Fins defense & LEARN from that.

Anyone that watched the Jags game saw EJ studying the photos every time the camera showed him which was often.

So he can learn what? His problems are footwork, accuracy, touch and looking off a receiver. You ain't learning any of that on the sideline. Send him home and dress someone who might contribute instead.

better days
12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
And after the QB's the Bills have had it is a NICE sight to see the QB looking at the photos to improve himself instead of joking around or moping like Fitz & Trent.

better days
12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
So he can learn what? His problems are footwork, accuracy, touch and looking off a receiver. You ain't learning any of that on the sideline. Send him home and dress someone who might contribute instead.

So you are saying EJ does not need any work studying defenses?

Send him home so some other guy can be active & never get in the game?

STUPID!

Do you think that every active player gets to play in the game?

SquishDaFish
12-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe his knee is looking better today?? Good enough to back up and play if something happens to thad?

Generalissimus Gibby
12-19-2013, 07:33 PM
I actually like this as I think it means that we are setting up for a Thad Lewis v EJ battle for the starting job next season.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I actually like this as I think it means that we are setting up for a Thad Lewis v EJ battle for the starting job next season.

Wow, I'm already getting all warm and fuzzy inside about next season.

gr8slayer
12-19-2013, 08:44 PM
You know that they'll bring in a veteran QB to compete with him, maybe a Shaub type.
Wow, I'm already getting all warm and fuzzy inside about next season.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2013, 09:01 PM
You know that they'll bring in a veteran QB to compete with him, maybe a Shaub type.

Make it Cutler and we have a deal.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2013, 09:35 PM
So you are saying EJ does not need any work studying defenses?

Send him home so some other guy can be active & never get in the game?

STUPID!

Do you think that every active player gets to play in the game?

His problems are problems that can only possibly be corrected by playing. He can't gonna learn jack about footwork or touch watching.

- - - Updated - - -

They won't bring in that caliber of QB, because that kind of QB will beat him out for the job.

better days
12-19-2013, 10:15 PM
His problems are problems that can only possibly be corrected by playing. He can't gonna learn jack about footwork or touch watching.

As if footwork or touch was all. YES he would progress faster playing, but since he can't, WATCHING & BEING INVOLVED is better than sitting at home doing nothing.

And after the first QTR in the game last week, his footwork & touch improved.

- - - Updated - - -

They won't bring in that caliber of QB, because that kind of QB will beat him out for the job.

Thief
12-20-2013, 08:12 AM
It seems pretty obvious that he is likely injured, but not "out" and will likely serve as the backup. In other words basically being held out as a precaution with the added bonus and giving the staff one more chance to decide if Thad is a viable long term back up. Thad now gets to start against a team he beat once and who has relevant film on him. It will be a good litmus test.

trapezeus
12-20-2013, 12:32 PM
1. EJ said he was studying when he was out for 4 weeks. he came back and went 1-2 and barely beat a ravaged defense on one of the worst teams in the league. So i'm not sure studying is his issue or that more of that will do much of anything.

2. setting up 2014 as the year of EJ vs Thad is just a repeat of what 2013 just was. I'm no marketing guru like the genius russ brandon, but i would expect more 20k seats available if next season starts with EJ vs Thad

3. Cutler wouldn't want to come. he's been on a decent bears team and is the kind of vet who wants to be part of getting over the hump. not sure a bills rebuild would interest him unless there are no other offers.

4. if cutler came, i totally see it working out as such
a. cutler plays ok through games 1-4. has a winning record
b. has some minor injury plays through game. following week we hear he is going to miss the next game.
c. next game ej plays moderately well. then we hear cutler has been sent to IR ending his season.
d. bills go 7-9.
e. better days tells us next year is the year.

Skooby
12-20-2013, 12:52 PM
1. EJ said he was studying when he was out for 4 weeks. he came back and went 1-2 and barely beat a ravaged defense on one of the worst teams in the league. So i'm not sure studying is his issue or that more of that will do much of anything.

2. setting up 2014 as the year of EJ vs Thad is just a repeat of what 2013 just was. I'm no marketing guru like the genius russ brandon, but i would expect more 20k seats available if next season starts with EJ vs Thad

3. Cutler wouldn't want to come. he's been on a decent bears team and is the kind of vet who wants to be part of getting over the hump. not sure a bills rebuild would interest him unless there are no other offers.

4. if cutler came, i totally see it working out as such
a. cutler plays ok through games 1-4. has a winning record
b. has some minor injury plays through game. following week we hear he is going to miss the next game.
c. next game ej plays moderately well. then we hear cutler has been sent to IR ending his season.
d. bills go 7-9.
e. better days tells us next year is the year.

Better days is in a bettor daze.

better days
12-20-2013, 01:02 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Shaub is a caliber QB?

I think he has proven he is not that.

Why do you think the Texans want to get rid of him?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-20-2013, 02:44 PM

You're confused. A player does not have to be on the active roster to stand on the sidelines, sit on the bench, or look at pictures.

In fact, here is a picture of Aaron Rodgers on the sidelines in street clothes, wearing a headset during the Giants game:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/18/article-2508849-1979F55400000578-947_634x401.jpg

He was inactive that game: http://blog.packers.com/2013/11/17/sam-shields-don-barclay-not-playing-packers-giants-inactives/

Putting EJ on the active roster has absolutely no bearing on his presence on the sidelines.