Ruled out Manual still to be active per HC Marrone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Ruled out Manual still to be active per HC Marrone.

Evidently, even though EJ Manuel won't play on Sunday, he won't be on the inactive list.

Say what?

Get the latest news and information for the Buffalo Bills. 2024 season schedule, scores, stats, and highlights. Find out the latest on your favorite NFL teams on CBSSports.com.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • lightningbolt444
    • Mar 2007

Re: Ruled out Manual still to be active per HC Marrone.

This smells of Marrone wanting a bit longer look at Thad. I can read that two ways. They want to see if they have to go after a backup QB in the offseason or he is not at all sold on EJ and wants to see if Thad can be better. If the last one is the case I would not rule out a QB to be drafted or a big FA signing like Cutler.

Personally I would love Cutler. He is not the most likable person and can be careless at times but he is not afraid to take shots and I think him and Robert Woods would be very good together.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

This would be a playoff team with Cutler at QB.

That being said, I'd be shocked if we sign him.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

I really dont know if it would be for sure I think we still have to many holes. However if we can sign Cutler and have a player or two take a huge step at a position of need we are there.

The biggest thing I want next year is more consistency. The d is not nearly as good as many of us think they are prone to giving up the big play and that needs to stop. The offense and defense to me seem to be great at killing our drives/extending the opponents. Until that stuff is corrected I think we will be a fringe team.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

What does keeping an injured Manual active have to do with Lewis? Or Tuel?

Roster spots matter - that player (pick any position) that was inactive instead of EJ may make a difference. The only sense I can make of this is that his contract language guaranteed him a minimum of active roster appearances and if they don't it costs them some bucks.

Either way - idiocy.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
            What does keeping an injured Manual active have to do with Lewis? Or Tuel?

Roster spots matter - that player (pick any position) that was inactive instead of EJ may make a difference. The only sense I can make of this is that his contract language guaranteed him a minimum of active roster appearances and if they don't it costs them some bucks.

Either way - idiocy.
            So you are saying if EJ was not active, the Bills would have to pay him MORE money than if he were inactive?

It doesn't work that way. A bonus is common if a player starts x number of games, but I have NEVER heard of a contract that guaranteed a player playing time or he would be paid more money if he did not get it.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
              So you are saying if EJ was not active, the Bills would have to pay him MORE money than if he were inactive?

It doesn't work that way. A bonus is common if a player starts x number of games, but I have NEVER heard of a contract that guaranteed a player playing time or he would be paid more money if he did not get it.
              Anything is possible in NFL contracts. Of course I don't know - I thought that was clear.

What you SHOULD be commenting on is keeping Manual active - for no earthly reason - rather than a healhty body that might contribute.
              Last edited by stuckincincy; 12-19-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

The Bills could make up for the mistake of drafting Whitner and KneeJ.
                Last edited by TacklingDummy; 12-19-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

It would be truly foolish to guarantee playing time to a rookie QB, particularly where there is no precedent for any such contract terms in a rookie deal.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                    Anything is possible in NFL contracts. Of course I don't know - I thought that was clear.

What you SHOULD be commenting on is keeping Manual active - for no earthly reason - rather than a healhty body that might contribute.
                    While anything is possible, I have NEVER heard of this language in a contract & I am positive I never will see such language.

As for EJ being active, I have no problem with that myself. I think Marrone wants him to feel a part of the team & to be on the bench with his teammates where he can look at the Fins defensive pictures alongside Thad when the Bills are on defense.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

As for EJ being active, I have no problem with that myself. I think Marrone wants him to feel a part of the team & to be on the bench with his teammates where he can look at the Fins defensive pictures alongside Thad when the Bills are on defense.
                      I sure hope he was doing that the first 2 times he was injured.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

While anything is possible, I have NEVER heard of this language in a contract & I am positive I never will see such language.

Feeling part of the team....millionaires need hugs...14 years and counting...

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Why bother keeping someone active who won't play?

Are they going to be three active QBs Sunday in case Thad gets hurt?

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Why bother keeping someone active who won't play?

Are they going to be three active QBs Sunday in case Thad gets hurt?
                            I already explained why. By being active, EJ can sit on the bench with the rest of the team & when the Bills are on defense, EJ can look at the photos with Thad of the Fins defense & LEARN from that.

Anyone that watched the Jags game saw EJ studying the photos every time the camera showed him which was often.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

I already explained why. By being active, EJ can sit on the bench with the rest of the team & when the Bills are on defense, EJ can look at the photos with Thad of the Fins defense & LEARN from that.

Anyone that watched the Jags game saw EJ studying the photos every time the camera showed him which was often.
                              So he can learn what? His problems are footwork, accuracy, touch and looking off a receiver. You ain't learning any of that on the sideline. Send him home and dress someone who might contribute instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X