PDA

View Full Version : Doug Whaley and scouting improvements

DesertFox24
12-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Credit is much deserved for these guys for this rookie class. I know it will be judged in totality by manual but they are getting some buzz.

Kiko is number 1 rookie manual is in top 30 and Robert woods and Robert are in top 40 of Mel kiper. Only other qb is Glennon geno not on list.

Robey also ranked as third best undrafted rookie.

Hopefully this was not a fluke and will be the norm. Maybe not rookie of year contention every year but rookies that play well and show a lot of promise.

better days
12-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Credit is much deserved for these guys for this rookie class. I know it will be judged in totality by manual but they are getting some buzz.

Kiko is number 1 rookie manual is in top 30 and Robert woods and Robert are in top 40 of Mel kiper. Only other qb is Glennon geno not on list.

Robey also ranked as third best undrafted rookie.

Hopefully this was not a fluke and will be the norm. Maybe not rookie of year contention every year but rookies that play well and show a lot of promise.

As I have said a few times before, Nix fixed the scouting dept before he retired.

I expect more drafts like the last one. Rather than Maybin, Whitner type drafts.

coastal
12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
As I have said a few times before, Nix fixed the scouting dept before he retired.

I expect more drafts like the last one. Rather than Maybin, Whitner type drafts.
Spooge

better days
12-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Spooge

What the Hell is Spooge?

coastal
12-19-2013, 04:32 PM
What the Hell is Spooge?
Your new name

better days
12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Your new name

FU.

Down here we have a Coastal.

As in Coastal Recovery.

A place to get yourself clean.

Maybe you need to come down for a visit to your namesake.

YardRat
12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
What the Hell is Spooge?

In coastal's world, lunch.

coastal
12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Zing

DesertFox24
12-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Well I for one am excited about what direction they go in this draft. I know we need a lg but in today's nfl you almost need to lt one to play the left and right side as teams move pass rushers so much.

Interesting question if we draft a tackle to compete with Hairston could we move pears to lg and hopefully let him and unga battle it out.

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't count on hairston for anything. He's been hurt every season.

trapezeus
12-20-2013, 12:22 PM
i would wait before we say we have a real scouting department. kiko is the best of the group and his play is trailing off a little as the season wears on. he was a game changer for the first 4th of the season and i think there is promise there.

the WR are still undersized. woods may be good, but he hasn't built any chemsitry with any of the 3 qb's we've had play. so he's still a question mark

and manuel has stagnated from average to below average. doing ok against bad teams and struggling against average to very good d's.

all these guys coudl get better, but they didn't get a day 1 major impact player who has been consistent all season.if you are going to say someone has a good front office after a full single season, they need to find at least 1 impact player who is a starter and legitimately looks like the face of that position for 10 years. Kiko is the closest to that guy. i trust if we get a great OLB player, Kiko will transition nicely to a stud who has to fill the middle. but knowing the bills, we'll just assume we fixed LB because we have 1 that is better than total suck

as such, i would prefer to see how 3 years worth of drafts turn out before i say anything has changed.

better days
12-20-2013, 01:09 PM
i would wait before we say we have a real scouting department. kiko is the best of the group and his play is trailing off a little as the season wears on. he was a game changer for the first 4th of the season and i think there is promise there.

the WR are still undersized. woods may be good, but he hasn't built any chemsitry with any of the 3 qb's we've had play. so he's still a question mark

and manuel has stagnated from average to below average. doing ok against bad teams and struggling against average to very good d's.

all these guys coudl get better, but they didn't get a day 1 major impact player who has been consistent all season.if you are going to say someone has a good front office after a full single season, they need to find at least 1 impact player who is a starter and legitimately looks like the face of that position for 10 years. Kiko is the closest to that guy. i trust if we get a great OLB player, Kiko will transition nicely to a stud who has to fill the middle. but knowing the bills, we'll just assume we fixed LB because we have 1 that is better than total suck

as such, i would prefer to see how 3 years worth of drafts turn out before i say anything has changed.

Well, Kiko should be Defensive Rookie of the year. If not, at least runner up to that.

All the rookie receivers look like they will be long term Bills.

Wait 3 years. Then I will say I TOLD YOU SO.

jimmifli
12-20-2013, 01:50 PM

What did he do to fix it?

better days
12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
What did he do to fix it?

He got rid of some guys like Modrack & hired a number of new scouts, increasing the size of the scouting dept.

Nix is also still on the Bills payroll & I would not be surprised he has done some scouting for them.

Skooby
12-20-2013, 02:45 PM
We did well with Kiko & now everything is all set ? How about the last 14 years of dogsheet ? Last time we made the playoffs I had a very small newborn baby boy in my arms, he's now in high school.

I can't give credit for doing your job, lets see if it translates to more than 5 wins next year.

Pinkerton Security
12-20-2013, 03:07 PM

god forbid, cant give the Bills any credit...instead make backhanded compliments about players like Kiko who have exceeded anyones expectations yet still isnt good enough

trapezeus
12-20-2013, 03:39 PM
He got rid of some guys like Modrack & hired a number of new scouts, increasing the size of the scouting dept.

Nix is also still on the Bills payroll & I would not be surprised he has done some scouting for them.

the first part was an ok defense.

the second part is a weakness. the guy has struggled to build depth in his 3 years. He's picked guys when people picked 2-5 players later have blossomed. Kaepernick or Aaron Williams. TJ Graham or Russell Wilson? Troup or Gronk. and like i mentioned he was drafting guys who didn't even make it through their first camp.

And the only reason we got rid of him is because he retired. Most teams would look at his picks as bad. the only reason you don't is cause he mildly got the first round right after years of messing up first round picks. but without getting depth, the bills are in the same injury plagued position year after year.

JediMindPowers
12-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Its a shame such a draft is going to be wasted when their rookie contracts are up and Russ Brandon manages to convince all of OBD to let them walk.

trapezeus
12-20-2013, 03:47 PM
god forbid, cant give the Bills any credit...instead make backhanded compliments about players like Kiko who have exceeded anyones expectations yet still isnt good enough

bankhanded? it is what it is. he's a good player. but he will need to play at that week 2-week 6 level where he's ending drives and blowing up plays. he hasn't been that guy of late. legit players who are hands down considered awesome without worry have monster seasons. he's had a very good one. he's clearly a piece of the puzzle. but i don't want our front office saying, "we got kiko, we can pass on a high end OLB."

the year of a draft class its easy to say everyone is doing ok because they are playing and any weakness can be excused as being young. But the real success of a draft is how many guys you've got in year 3 and feel they are playing well, andyou can add depth by getting guys to supplement in rounds 4- 7.

better days
12-20-2013, 04:12 PM
bankhanded? it is what it is. he's a good player. but he will need to play at that week 2-week 6 level where he's ending drives and blowing up plays. he hasn't been that guy of late. legit players who are hands down considered awesome without worry have monster seasons. he's had a very good one. he's clearly a piece of the puzzle. but i don't want our front office saying, "we got kiko, we can pass on a high end OLB."

the year of a draft class its easy to say everyone is doing ok because they are playing and any weakness can be excused as being young. But the real success of a draft is how many guys you've got in year 3 and feel they are playing well, andyou can add depth by getting guys to supplement in rounds 4- 7.

You SHOULD know like everyone else that Rookies seem to hit a wall after about game 12 it is a fact of life.

Like I said, I expect Woods & Goodwin in addition to Kiko to be seasoned vets playing well in year 3.

Listening to Bucs radio while driving around this afternoon, everyone was lamenting the lack of speed at the WR position on the Bucs.

We don't have that problem on the Bills.

jimmifli
12-20-2013, 04:55 PM
hired a number of new scouts, increasing the size of the scouting dept.
Who did he hire? How big was the increase?

YardRat
12-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Who did he hire? How big was the increase?

Tom Gibbons, Chuck Cook (who re-worked the college scouts responsibilities and introduced cross-checking and positional formats), Whaley (originally hired by Nix as director of pro player personnel), CJ Leak, Pete Harris, Darrell Moody, and more.

In 2010, the team basically had 13 people in their 'scouting dept', and included the top (GM Nix) through the bottom (personal assistant LaFlamme). Currently, that same 'department' (also inc the GM Whaley, etc) houses 24 people.

Say what you want, feel what you want, about Nix, but it's pretty much a given that he increased and improved the scouting department.

better days
12-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Tom Gibbons, Chuck Cook (who re-worked the college scouts responsibilities and introduced cross-checking and positional formats), Whaley (originally hired by Nix as director of pro player personnel), CJ Leak, Pete Harris, Darrell Moody, and more.

In 2010, the team basically had 13 people in their 'scouting dept', and included the top (GM Nix) through the bottom (personal assistant LaFlamme). Currently, that same 'department' (also inc the GM Whaley, etc) houses 24 people.

Say what you want, feel what you want, about Nix, but it's pretty much a given that he increased and improved the scouting department.

As if those names have any meaning to jimmifli or anyone else.

The point is Nix hired good football people, almost doubled the size of the scouting dept and got rid of Modrack & a few others that were in large part responsible for the putrid drafting in the past.

Night Train
12-21-2013, 07:49 AM
This could be a very interesting off-season with a large amount of Vets purged from the roster, in addition to the draft. The new coach now knows who can win for him going forward and who is too old,hurt or overrated to help.

better days
12-21-2013, 08:01 AM
This could be a very interesting off-season with a large amount of Vets purged from the roster, in addition to the draft. The new coach now knows who can win for him going forward and who is too old,hurt or overrated to help.

Well, the other day Coach Sal listed the upcoming FA's for the Bills. Aside from Byrd, Carrington is the biggest name on that list which is a good thing.

I think Byrd needs to be resigned & would like to see Carrington resigned as well.

Any purging will done on the offensive side of the ball IMO.

Meathead
12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
buddy nix is cheap

better days
12-21-2013, 08:25 AM
buddy nix is cheap

Meathead is a Meathead.