PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tannehill?

FinNasty23
12-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, it's Bills/Fins week! Wanted to stop by and talk about the game, and specifically get your thoughts on Ryan Tannehill. I've read the thoughts of Fin fans on the Fin message boards, but I always like to hear outside opinions as well for the same of perspective.

What are your guys thoughts on Tannehill? In relation to where he currently is as a QB, is he worse than what you expected, about what you expected, or better than you expected he'd be? Do you think he has a shot at being the Fins answer at QB, or no? What do you think his future will be, if any?

gr8slayer
12-19-2013, 08:23 PM
I've followed his career since he arrived at aTm, and have seen every game of his as a pro. I think that he has a chance to be a really good, second-tier QB (long-term), but I'm not sure that he'll ever have the right tools around him to be mentioned with the elite QB's. I was of the opinion that he was the third best QB in that draft, and so far, I think that looks about right: Wilson --> Luck --> Tannehill. He's got all the tools (physically) to be whatever he wants to be, just needs some help. I like the addition of Wallace, but I don't think that he's a #1 WR, and I don't that Hartline is either. Charles Clay is about as underrated as any TE in the league, really like watching him work.

TigerJ
12-19-2013, 08:26 PM
When he was a draft prospect, I thought he was intriguing, very similar to the way I thought about EJ Manuel. His hand size is a little smaller than I would like in a QB, but I would say he's performed like one would hope a good young prospect would perform, a little shaky at times in his rookie year, but much improved with a little experience. If EJ Manuel shows similar improvement next season, I'll be happy. I'd say you have a keeper.

FinNasty23
12-19-2013, 08:28 PM
I've followed his career since he arrived at aTm, and have seen every game of his as a pro. I think that he has a chance to be a really good, second-tier QB (long-term), but I'm not sure that he'll ever have the right tools around him to be mentioned with the elite QB's. I was of the opinion that he was the third best QB in that draft, and so far, I think that looks about right: Wilson --> Luck --> Tannehill. He's got all the tools (physically) to be whatever he wants to be, just needs some help. I like the addition of Wallace, but I don't think that he's a #1 WR, and I don't that Hartline is either.
So, you're concern about Tannehill becoming a top QB isn't his individual abilities/talent... but only regarding what he is going to be surrounded with during his career? If so, I hope we don't hold him back like you're concerned we will. Although... we are the Dolphins...

gr8slayer
12-19-2013, 08:28 PM
His play has been a little shaky, but he's got ice running through his veins, not a whole lot gets to him.
When he was a draft prospect, I thought he was intriguing, very similar to the way I thought about EJ Manuel. His hand size is a little smaller than I would like in a QB, but I would say he's performed like one would hope a good young prospect would perform, a little shaky at times in his rookie year, but much improved with a little experience. If EJ Manuel shows similar improvement next season, I'll be happy. I'd say you have a keeper.

FinNasty23
12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
For some reason I can't edit the OP... but the one sentience is supposed to read "but I always like to hear outside opinions as well for the SAKE of perspective". If a mod could edit, I'd appreciate it lol...

gr8slayer
12-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Tannehill is about as talented as any QB you'll ever see. All his "weaknesses" are correctable, and I think that he's corrected a good number of them from year one to year two. A lot of people forget/or don't know that he hasn't been a full-time QB for very long. I have very little faith in the Dolphins organization, and their ability to surround him with the talent necessary for him to have a great deal of success as a pro.
So, you're concern about Tannehill becoming a top QB isn't his individual abilities/talent... but only regarding what he is going to be surrounded with during his career? If so, I hope we don't hold him back like you're concerned we will. Although... we are the Dolphins...

Miami_Vice
12-19-2013, 09:01 PM
He basically gave the game away to Buffalo the first time we played. That first quarter was BRUTAL to watch. However, he has improved a TON since then and like someone else mentioned on here, he has ice in his veins and nothing seems to rattle him .
He was flat out awesome vs the Patriots last week.

Here's hoping he can get the Fins in the playoffs!

gr8slayer
12-19-2013, 09:07 PM
The fact that he's dropping back 34.7 times a game goes to show how much confidence the coaching staff has in him. That's pretty wild for a second year QB that entered the league as somewhat of a project.
He basically gave the game away to Buffalo the first time we played. That first quarter was BRUTAL to watch. However, he has improved a TON since then and like someone else mentioned on here, he has ice in his veins and nothing seems to rattle him .
He was flat out awesome vs the Patriots last week.

Here's hoping he can get the Fins in the playoffs!

FinNasty23
12-19-2013, 09:17 PM
The fact that he's dropping back 34.7 times a game goes to show how much confidence the coaching staff has in him. That's pretty wild for a second year QB that entered the league as somewhat of a project.

And he isn't being helped with one of the worst offensive lines in football and a poor running game. Speaking to your point on the number of attempts... we're basically asking him to carry the offense.

Parzival
12-20-2013, 12:31 AM
He ****ing SUCKS and so do the dolphins.

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Hmmm. Thoughts on Tannyhill?

He's the next Joe Montana.

Is that about right, Miami Fans?

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 05:37 AM
He ****ing SUCKS and so do the dolphins.I love this guy.

Add on their gay fanbase and we have a Universal Truth.

FinNasty23
12-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Hmmm. Thoughts on Tannyhill?

He's the next Joe Montana.

Is that about right, Miami Fans?

Miami fans thoughts on him are all over the place. Was looking for your honest objective opinion as an outsider.

Night Train
12-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Actually, he carries a resume much like Manuel. Selected as a raw athlete that needed to develop. Had to give him time.

I'm sure 2000 posters at Fin Haven labeled him as a bust during year 1 and rooted for his failure. Sound familiar ?

Historian
12-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Servicable.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Miami fans thoughts on him are all over the place. Was looking for your honest objective opinion as an outsider.

pmoon is the Dallas of the Zone http://files.myopera.com/mattdillonfan/albums/942686/thumbs/matt-dillon-outsiders.jpg_thumb.jpg

DraftBoy
12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
He's grown alot from last year to this year. He's got all the physical skills and has that forgetfulness that every QB needs after making a bad decision. He's got to do something though to cut down on those bad decisions, he still forces the ball too often and he needs to get better about throwing it away rather than trying to make a play. Overall I think he's got enough to take you as far as you want/need. He needs a running game and some better WR's around him but he's going to be the guy for a long time I think.

Skooby
12-20-2013, 06:56 AM
His play has been a little shaky, but he's got ice running through his veins, not a whole lot gets to him.

Except for Mario in our last meeting.

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Miami fans thoughts on him are all over the place. Was looking for your honest objective opinion as an outsider.Can't have an objective opinion until he no longer wears Dolphin colors.

Until then, he will be reviled and hated.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 07:00 AM

Mitch is Two Bit

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEgdJxT8Bs6i6ocric_iaAnoDqUqB9vxxGE6Fp9C3PvxgAHxZ0

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 07:01 AM
pmoon is the Dallas of the Zone http://files.myopera.com/mattdillonfan/albums/942686/thumbs/matt-dillon-outsiders.jpg_thumb.jpgHaHaHa. Thanks.......I think.

Skooby
12-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Mitch is Two Bit

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEgdJxT8Bs6i6ocric_iaAnoDqUqB9vxxGE6Fp9C3PvxgAHxZ0

I so wanted to be a soche, oh well.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 07:24 AM
I so wanted to be a soche, oh well.

Lecter is Bob Sheldon. Looks just like him.

http://media1.break.com/breakstudios/2011/9/2/outsiders_leif.jpg

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 07:25 AM
I see you're on a roll today, TD.

Carry on.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Lecter is Bob Sheldon. Looks just like him.

http://media1.break.com/breakstudios/2011/9/2/outsiders_leif.jpg

Lecter...15
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/Mikey82_photos/Buffalo%20Bills%20Season%202013/09-29-13%20Buffalo%20Bills%20vs%20Baltimore%20Ravens/Photo042_zps50c73015.jpg

trapezeus
12-20-2013, 08:24 AM
HE strikes me as a Cutler type QB with less mental issues. Like Cutler, he can make the throws and its obvious why he was a high pick. Like cutler, he has the ability to play long stretches of quality football. nothing that makes you think, "he is taking this game over by himself", but enough wins behind him that you find it hard to say he sucks. He isn't romo like with throwing games away, but he has the cutler-esque ability to disappear. and he isn't awful but he isn't who you had 2 weeks ago so its frustrating.

that being said, unlike cutler, this is his second year and could all be part of the development. if he keeps it up over the next two years, then he's hit his ceiling and that ceiling is pretty high but you'll still need to surround him with excellent talent and an awesome defense to get to championship level talent. otherwise it will be wildcards and a couple playoff games until he burns out from the tag of being pretty good but not good enough.

all this is to say, "at this point in Bills world, i'd take it just to see or sniff the playoffs"

FinNasty23
12-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Clabo will do that to ya, lol. Dude got owned by Mario...

Mike13
12-20-2013, 11:06 AM
His play has been a little shaky, but he's got ice running through his veins, not a whole lot gets to him. I think it says something that he hasn't been "shell shocked" by all the hits he has taken.

Miami_Vice
12-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I love this guy.

"gay fanbase"? Wow thats really mature. Nice one.

pmoon6
12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
"gay fanbase"? Wow thats really mature. Nice one.Are these boards some kind of maturity test or can we just have fun hacking on the opposition.

Maybe you should lighten up, Francis.

The last buffalo fan
12-20-2013, 12:17 PM
"gay fanbase"? Wow thats really mature. Nice one.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/blackswan1/umadanimation.gif (http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/blackswan1/?action=view&current=umadanimation.gif)

He is awesome and the phins fan base is manly and tough!!

TedMock
12-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I like Tannehill. I think he's been underappreciated a bit because of the rest of his draft class. He's had some shaky moments, but he's improved a ton in year two. Confidence is there as well. Doesn't rattle. He's going to be a very solid quality starter for a long time down there.

PhinsFan66
12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Tannehill will have more SB rings when he is done than Wilson, Luck, RG3, Kaepernick and the rest of the prentenders. He just needs some better O-line help.

Meathead
12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
hes no thad lewis

Oaf
12-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Bills fans. Tannehill for EJ and a 3rd rd pick. Take it or leave it?

Skooby
12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Bills fans. Tannehill for EJ and a 3rd rd pick. Take it or leave it?

Do we get the 3rd ?

gr8slayer
12-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Absolutely, the guy is tough. It probably helps that he played WR, and took his share of hits over the middle.
I think it says something that he hasn't been "shell shocked" by all the hits he has taken.

Mike13
12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
hes no thad lewis

Very few are.

Bangarang
12-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Do we get the 3rd ?

No

DolfanTom
12-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I love this guy.

We've long thought of Tom Brady as gay. Unfortunately, in reality, he's banging a super model, and has owned the AFC East for about 13 years.

Here's hoping you hate us for the same reason in another 13 years.

Skooby
12-20-2013, 07:18 PM
We've long thought of Tom Brady as gay. Unfortunately, in reality, he's banging a super model, and has owned the AFC East for about 13 years.

I wouldn't bet on it.

DolfanTom
12-20-2013, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't bet on it.

To be clear, I'm not either just yet. Just hopeful - I like what he's done so far, the strides he's taken this year.

bigbry
12-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I love this guy.

Silverthorne huh, okay

Mouldsie
12-21-2013, 03:34 AM
About what I thought. Low level franchise guy. Needs to work on accuracy. 2nd best QB in division by far

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Silverthorne huh, okayYou coming for a visit, Big Boy?

pmoon6
12-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Loved TanneBooBoo today. He looked like he was imitating a corpse.

Franchise Quarterback and I hope he is Miami for a loooong time.

imbondz
12-22-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't think Tannehill's the problem tho. OLine is atrocious.

pmoon6
12-22-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't think Tannehill's the problem tho. OLine is atrocious.Of course, but I have to give the Fin Fans some ****.

I gave him credit in the other thread.

He's one tough SOB.

Mike13
12-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Loved TanneBooBoo today. He looked like he was imitating a corpse.

Franchise Quarterback and I hope he is Miami for a loooong time.

It must suck when your OL is actively trying to kill you.

Miami_Vice
12-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Good game Bills fans (well not really) Tannehill played awful today. That said, I'm still glad we have him. Not ready to give up on him after 2 seasons. He needs a better oline/running game. Letting Bush go was huge.

Bill Cody
12-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Tannehill will have more SB rings when he is done than Wilson, Luck, RG3, Kaepernick and the rest of the prentenders. He just needs some better O-line help.
Yeah I see what you mean. Tannehill rocks.:lol:

Skooby
12-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Tannehill is probably going to be waking up several times in the middle of the night screaming Mario / Kyle / Robey !!

Novacane
12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
I think he can be a good QB that could win with a good team around him. Don't ever see him being a super star like Manning Brees Brady or Rogers.

better days
12-22-2013, 09:52 PM

well, we know Brady is married to an aging supermodel, but in reality we don't know if he is banging her.

FinNasty23
12-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Tannehill is probably going to be waking up several times in the middle of the night screaming Mario / Kyle / Robey !!
Hell... I'm gunna wake up in the middle of the night screaming. Can't imagine what he's gunna go through...

IlluminatusUIUC
12-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Thoughts on Tannehill?

He's squishy.

trapezeus
12-23-2013, 07:51 AM
tannehill looked a bit luck cutler. big game, no appearance. however, hard to give him crap for such an abysmal line. robey had more sacks than pass breakups. i would think any quarterback would have had a hard time performing yesterday. however, like we say about EJ, sometimes great qb's have to make others around them better.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Tannehill took a big step forward this year in my opiniion, the main reason Miami is 8-7 still in good position for playoff. Honestly if EJ (already behind Tennehill in terms of rookie year development) makes a similar size step forward next year, I'll be very pleased.

However, I don't think he has a very high ceiling. They are playing WCO where everything is timed and on rhythm. If you can disrupt his rhythm somewhat, either in pass rush or coverage, he seems to have a mental block, does not know what to do (resulting sacks etc.). I watched the Miami Steeler game at Heinz. I think what Marrone said is right in his post game show yesterday that they paid special attention to the last 2 minutes of the half and end game (which did not materialize yesterday due to injury and score). A lot of times, teams play prevent at the half and end of the game which allowed Tennehill to get on a row even if he was put on his heel earlier. Once he got his rhythm and in sync with his receivers, he's very very good.

gebobs
12-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Tannehill looked awful yesterday, but who wouldn't that kind of pressure? Can you imagine what it would have been like with Manuel in his place? If he wasn't knocked out of the game in the first series, he would have been flying check down passes into the upper deck.

pmoon6
12-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Tannehill will have more SB rings when he is done than Wilson, Luck, RG3, Kaepernick and the rest of the prentenders. He just needs some better O-line help.Yeah, just like Dan Marino.........oh wait.

Night Train
12-23-2013, 09:12 AM
There were times had was given several seconds in a good pocket and wouldn't deliver the rock. Seems indecisive many snaps.

Raptor
12-23-2013, 12:55 PM
He's medicore at best. Best thing that could happen to us is the Dolphins keep believing he's the answer

FinNasty23
12-23-2013, 04:18 PM
He's medicore at best. Best thing that could happen to us is the Dolphins keep believing he's the answer
Hey Raptor, good to see you man! How you been?

gebobs
12-26-2013, 10:32 PM

I don't know about all that but I do know that Putin will have more rings than Wilson.

Frenchman
12-26-2013, 10:42 PM
His problem is his OL. As he needs more support around him. If he would get more support, and plus be such a huge contender. But really played really horrible in loss to the Bills.

stuckincincy
12-27-2013, 05:06 AM
His problem is his OL. As he needs more support around him. If he would get more support, and plus be such a huge contender. But really played really horrible in loss to the Bills.

Yes. I think that Miami will concentrate on the OL in the draft.

FinNasty23
12-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes. I think that Miami will concentrate on the OL in the draft.

What does "OL" stand for? Are those like... blockers? Is that even legal?!?

Mike13
12-27-2013, 04:58 PM
There were times had was given several seconds in a good pocket and wouldn't deliver the rock. Seems indecisive many snaps.

It could be that no one was getting open.

Jeff1220
12-27-2013, 06:34 PM
He could win a super bowl, in the same ways that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won super bowls.

LtFinFan66
12-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah, just like Dan Marino.........oh wait.
and Jim Kelly....oh wait

pmoon6
12-29-2013, 08:02 AM
and Jim Kelly....oh waitHow original. At least he got them there more than once and he did it at the expense of the Dolphins. We might see the same out of TanneBooBoo in the future considering he got his ass kicked last Sunday by a supposedly inferior team.

It's also funny that it took you 6 days to come up with that snappy comeback. Did you have to consult with your grammar school friends while you were crying in your sandbox?

Bills - 19
Dolphins - 0

108 yards net offense from a QB that will have multiple Super Bowl rings.

Bwahahahahahaha.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 12:20 PM
This thread could have ended with one post...

Tannehill sucks because he's on the Dolphins.