X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FinNasty23
    • May 2005

Thoughts on Tannehill?

Hey guys, it's Bills/Fins week! Wanted to stop by and talk about the game, and specifically get your thoughts on Ryan Tannehill. I've read the thoughts of Fin fans on the Fin message boards, but I always like to hear outside opinions as well for the same of perspective.

What are your guys thoughts on Tannehill? In relation to where he currently is as a QB, is he worse than what you expected, about what you expected, or better than you expected he'd be? Do you think he has a shot at being the Fins answer at QB, or no? What do you think his future will be, if any?
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Thoughts on Tannehill?

I've followed his career since he arrived at aTm, and have seen every game of his as a pro. I think that he has a chance to be a really good, second-tier QB (long-term), but I'm not sure that he'll ever have the right tools around him to be mentioned with the elite QB's. I was of the opinion that he was the third best QB in that draft, and so far, I think that looks about right: Wilson --> Luck --> Tannehill. He's got all the tools (physically) to be whatever he wants to be, just needs some help. I like the addition of Wallace, but I don't think that he's a #1 WR, and I don't that Hartline is either. Charles Clay is about as underrated as any TE in the league, really like watching him work.
    Last edited by gr8slayer; 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

When he was a draft prospect, I thought he was intriguing, very similar to the way I thought about EJ Manuel. His hand size is a little smaller than I would like in a QB, but I would say he's performed like one would hope a good young prospect would perform, a little shaky at times in his rookie year, but much improved with a little experience. If EJ Manuel shows similar improvement next season, I'll be happy. I'd say you have a keeper.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• FinNasty23
        • May 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
        I've followed his career since he arrived at aTm, and have seen every game of his as a pro. I think that he has a chance to be a really good, second-tier QB (long-term), but I'm not sure that he'll ever have the right tools around him to be mentioned with the elite QB's. I was of the opinion that he was the third best QB in that draft, and so far, I think that looks about right: Wilson --> Luck --> Tannehill. He's got all the tools (physically) to be whatever he wants to be, just needs some help. I like the addition of Wallace, but I don't think that he's a #1 WR, and I don't that Hartline is either.
        So, you're concern about Tannehill becoming a top QB isn't his individual abilities/talent... but only regarding what he is going to be surrounded with during his career? If so, I hope we don't hold him back like you're concerned we will. Although... we are the Dolphins...
        Last edited by FinNasty23; 12-19-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

His play has been a little shaky, but he's got ice running through his veins, not a whole lot gets to him.
          Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
          When he was a draft prospect, I thought he was intriguing, very similar to the way I thought about EJ Manuel. His hand size is a little smaller than I would like in a QB, but I would say he's performed like one would hope a good young prospect would perform, a little shaky at times in his rookie year, but much improved with a little experience. If EJ Manuel shows similar improvement next season, I'll be happy. I'd say you have a keeper.

Comment

• FinNasty23
            • May 2005

For some reason I can't edit the OP... but the one sentience is supposed to read "but I always like to hear outside opinions as well for the SAKE of perspective". If a mod could edit, I'd appreciate it lol...

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Tannehill is about as talented as any QB you'll ever see. All his "weaknesses" are correctable, and I think that he's corrected a good number of them from year one to year two. A lot of people forget/or don't know that he hasn't been a full-time QB for very long. I have very little faith in the Dolphins organization, and their ability to surround him with the talent necessary for him to have a great deal of success as a pro.
              Originally posted by FinNasty23 View Post
              So, you're concern about Tannehill becoming a top QB isn't his individual abilities/talent... but only regarding what he is going to be surrounded with during his career? If so, I hope we don't hold him back like you're concerned we will. Although... we are the Dolphins...

Comment

• Miami_Vice
                • Aug 2003

He basically gave the game away to Buffalo the first time we played. That first quarter was BRUTAL to watch. However, he has improved a TON since then and like someone else mentioned on here, he has ice in his veins and nothing seems to rattle him .
                He was flat out awesome vs the Patriots last week.

Here's hoping he can get the Fins in the playoffs!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

The fact that he's dropping back 34.7 times a game goes to show how much confidence the coaching staff has in him. That's pretty wild for a second year QB that entered the league as somewhat of a project.
                  Originally posted by Miami_Vice View Post
                  He basically gave the game away to Buffalo the first time we played. That first quarter was BRUTAL to watch. However, he has improved a TON since then and like someone else mentioned on here, he has ice in his veins and nothing seems to rattle him .
                  He was flat out awesome vs the Patriots last week.

Here's hoping he can get the Fins in the playoffs!

Comment

• FinNasty23
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                    The fact that he's dropping back 34.7 times a game goes to show how much confidence the coaching staff has in him. That's pretty wild for a second year QB that entered the league as somewhat of a project.
                    And he isn't being helped with one of the worst offensive lines in football and a poor running game. Speaking to your point on the number of attempts... we're basically asking him to carry the offense.

Comment

• Parzival
                      This is a list: They're my demands
                      • Aug 2012

He ****ing SUCKS and so do the dolphins.
                      Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind.

Comment

• pmoon6
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Dec 2002

Hmmm. Thoughts on Tannyhill?

He's the next Joe Montana.

Is that about right, Miami Fans?

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Parzival View Post
                          He ****ing SUCKS and so do the dolphins.
                          I love this guy.

Add on their gay fanbase and we have a Universal Truth.

Comment

• FinNasty23
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                            Hmmm. Thoughts on Tannyhill?

He's the next Joe Montana.

Is that about right, Miami Fans?
                            Miami fans thoughts on him are all over the place. Was looking for your honest objective opinion as an outsider.
                            Last edited by FinNasty23; 12-20-2013, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Actually, he carries a resume much like Manuel. Selected as a raw athlete that needed to develop. Had to give him time.

I'm sure 2000 posters at Fin Haven labeled him as a bust during year 1 and rooted for his failure. Sound familiar ?
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X