X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Time To Draft Another Quarterback, Manuel's Durability Is A Huge Problem

It will be interesting to see if EJ Manuel plays the final game against New England or sits out the rest of the season.

If he doesn't start next week, players in the locker room might begin to question EJ's toughness, and most important of all - his leadership. One way players earn the respect of their teammates is by playing hurt. If you can't play with pain, you can't play the game.

I really want to know how Fred Jackson honestly feels about the Bills young quarterback. Didn't Fred sprain his knee twice this season?

Besides the ill advised hit Manuel took in Cleveland, the rest of his injuries have been unnoticeable on film.

After Kevin Kolb slipped at St. John Fisher, did he give EJ Manuel his glass slipper?

From what I've heard and read, Manuel suffered his latest injury on the 2nd or 3rd last play of the Jacksonville game. He looked fine jogging onto the field with a huge smile on his face when the Bills won.

Is something going on here? Does Doug Marrone think Thad Lewis gives the Bills a better chance of winning?

For the first time this season, Marrone did not sound like himself when asked about EJ's durability.

Normally, words are not hard to speak for Doug Marrone but when he was defending Manuel in his answer something didn't sound right. He was reaching for words in a way that didn't sound like the coach I've heard all season. He was, "110% confident," that EJ would start against New England.

Is there such a thing as a one week knee injury in the NFL? What if Manuel says, "I can't go coach," and makes Marrone look like a fool?

All signs are pointing in one direction. The Bills are going to draft another QB.
  • SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Time To Draft Another Quarterback, Manuel's Durability Is A Huge Problem

Enough of this bull**** damn. A Rookie QB usually gets 20 or so starts. Give it some damn time

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
      It will be interesting to see if EJ Manuel plays the final game against New England or sits out the rest of the season.

If he doesn't start next week, players in the locker room might begin to question EJ's toughness, and most important of all - his leadership. One way players earn the respect of their teammates is by playing hurt. If you can't play with pain, you can't play the game.

I really want to know how Fred Jackson honestly feels about the Bills young quarterback. Didn't Fred sprain his knee twice this season?

Besides the ill advised hit Manuel took in Cleveland, the rest of his injuries have been unnoticeable on film.

After Kevin Kolb slipped at St. John Fisher, did he give EJ Manuel his glass slipper?

From what I've heard and read, Manuel suffered his latest injury on the 2nd or 3rd last play of the Jacksonville game. He looked fine jogging onto the field with a huge smile on his face when the Bills won.

Is something going on here? Does Doug Marrone think Thad Lewis gives the Bills a better chance of winning?

For the first time this season, Marrone did not sound like himself when asked about EJ's durability.

Normally, words are not hard to speak for Doug Marrone but when he was defending Manuel in his answer something didn't sound right. He was reaching for words in a way that didn't sound like the coach I've heard all season. He was, "110% confident," that EJ would start against New England.

Is there such a thing as a one week knee injury in the NFL? What if Manuel says, "I can't go coach," and makes Marrone look like a fool?

All signs are pointing in one direction. The Bills are going to draft another QB.
      Same old dilemma though. Are there any we can get who will be a better maybe than Maybe KneeJ, Maybe Lewis, or Maybe Tuel with a year in the system ?

No. They are saying it is a deep QB class, but it honestly looks to me like another weak one, made deep only by how many teams are desperate to go pearl diving. There isn't any available prospect head and shoulders more obvious than our available prospects, no matter how much it upsets anyone. Doesn't really make much sense imho to start over while your starting over before starting over in case you might need to start over before knowing much more than it was a crap year with new people and new systems with a bunch of the same predictable angst.

2015 maybe. No clue what happens next year. I think it's not going to go well next year, but I always think it's not going to go well next year anyway, and even did during the Kelly era.

Get a TE, LB, Tall WR, a guard, a tackle, a DT, any/or....however many..in whatever order. Not another QB yet.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        Legendary Zoner
        • May 2009

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
        Enough of this bull**** damn. A Rookie QB usually gets 20 or so starts. Give it some damn time
        They should still draft another quarterback. It doesn't have to be in the first round. The guys knees have been hurt three times. That's highly irregular.

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
          They should still draft another quarterback. It doesn't have to be in the first round. The guys knees have been hurt three times. That's highly irregular.
          Even outside of his knee issues I would look into drafting another one if a decent talent was still sitting there in the 3rd round. Competition never hurts and at the very least you have a backup or a trade chip if the QB has any skills and shows some development. With Manuel's injury issues I'm willing to bet that QB would see the field at some point next year. If he plays alright then we possibly have a starter or at least trade material. The Redskins will surely get at least a single 2nd round pick for Cousins this offseason.

For people who say you have to at least give a rookie QB two years isn't always the case. It depends on how they look and who is available. I remember many people on here thinking that we could have a chance at Newton because the Panthers would never draft a QB and give up on their rookie one year after taking Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. Clausen was so horrible it was obvious they wouldn't pass on Newton if they liked him and put all of their eggs in Clausen's basket. With that logic then the Panthers wouldn't never drafted Cam Newton. It's not the exact perfect comparison because of where the guys were drafted but it's the same concept.

How many people thought that Brady Quinn was a real QB after his first season? How about Tim Tebow even after he went to the playoffs? There are tons of other examples. Now EJ hasn't been so bad where you totally throw him in the trash but between his play and injuries I wouldn't hesitate on drafting some competition if the right talent was there.
          Last edited by BillsFever21; 12-20-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

Oh I agree we need a definite QB to battle with him and push him. Tuel def isnt the answer there

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Being injury prone is a big problem, sucking when he is healthy is a bigger problem.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                And ridiculously unpredictable when you draft your potential acl repair franchise Griffin, brittle Ponder, not good Clausen, or insufficent Gabbert. Might get a Tebow, Geno Smith, even a Sam Bradford, Brandon Weeden, or a John Skelton. Maybe we can draft two of them even.

But keep bringing them in by the flock, we all want tons of turnover except when we are ranting about revolving door approaches to success. Revolving doors are terrible and the ticket to hell for the franchise so we need to use them more. Makes perfect sense.

This year went nowhere. If next year doesn't with these QB's we have bigger issues than the qb's. Like coaching and gm'ing, and then it starts over again soon so everyone can cheer and gnash their teeth that we keep changing everything because it doesn't work but we need to keep doing it.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Johnny Football likes to win.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Jameis Winston is a better quarterback than EJ Manuel.

There, I said it.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                      Johnny Football likes to win.
                      I would love to have that cocky SOB as our QB. He makes JP Losman look humble in comparison.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                        Even outside of his knee issues I would look into drafting another one if a decent talent was still sitting there in the 3rd round. Competition never hurts and at the very least you have a backup or a trade chip if the QB has any skills and shows some development. With Manuel's injury issues I'm willing to bet that QB would see the field at some point next year. If he plays alright then we possibly have a starter or at least trade material. The Redskins will surely get at least a single 2nd round pick for Cousins this offseason.

For people who say you have to at least give a rookie QB two years isn't always the case. It depends on how they look and who is available. I remember many people on here thinking that we could have a chance at Newton because the Panthers would never draft a QB and give up on their rookie one year after taking Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. Clausen was so horrible it was obvious they wouldn't pass on Newton if they liked him and put all of their eggs in Clausen's basket. With that logic then the Panthers wouldn't never drafted Cam Newton. It's not the exact perfect comparison because of where the guys were drafted but it's the same concept.

How many people thought that Brady Quinn was a real QB after his first season? How about Tim Tebow even after he went to the playoffs? There are tons of other examples. Now EJ hasn't been so bad where you totally throw him in the trash but between his play and injuries I wouldn't hesitate on drafting some competition if the right talent was there.
                        There are usually guys on the board who can play in other positions in the third round to be using that pick on a QB. I am sick of this draft a QB talk. Get a guy who already knows what he is doing or don't bother. Manual is an unknown right now as far as I am concerned. The guy could turn into an absolute stud. This first off season after his first on the field is huge for a QB ... quite honestly I hope they sit his ass for the last two games. I hear too many people bantering about what they are going to see against NE is determinant of EJ like the vision of a players future is like a finite superbowl or something. Crazy talk. Let him get healthy, compost the season and prepare for next year. Make sure there is plenty of competition in camp -- and not some late round pick of a rookie either. Don't coddle him I swear it's the team that turns these people into pansy asses. If he doesn't have the character to stand in there and beat out some high quality competition then we want another guy as it indicates he's just going to cave when the pressure is on. We give these guys the farm it's like a baby with a silver spoon they turn into ****.
                        Last edited by Typ0; 12-20-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Tajh Boyd in round 2.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

It is very difficult to make a long term prediction on Manuel's durability based on one season. I would rather see us go WR, LG, RT, OLB - not necessarily in that order - in the early rounds.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Fix the OL

Comment

Working...
                              X