PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams' 12 Sacks Isn't Worth His $100 Million Contract

BillsImpossible
12-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Mario Williams has 12 sacks so far this season, and 33 tackles. He has been unnoticeable for how many crucial games now? When's the last time Mario Williams made a, "game changing," play? When's the last time Mario Williams had a, "big game," that anyone can actually remember?

Jerry Hughes has 9 sacks so far this season, and 44 tackles.

Nickell Robey has more tackles than Mario Williams, with 34.

How is that humanly possible that a man who is 5'7 and weighs 165 lbs soaking wet has more NFL tackles than Mario Williams does, who is 6'7 300 lbs?

That's not right.

Robert Mathis signed a contract in 2012 for 4 years, $36 million. He is currently the NFL sack leader with 16.5.

Draft gurus like to talk about, "value," a lot. Is there a player the Bills can draft in round 1 to replace Mario Williams?

There's probably a player in round 3 that can replace Mario Williams.

He's no Bruce Smith. Williams is not holding up his end of the $100 million bargain.

I'd rather see the Bills spend $50 million each on two free agents that can help score points.

Are the Bills better on defense because of Mario Williams?

No, and it shows.

BillsFever21
12-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Mario Williams has 12 sacks so far this season, and 33 tackles. He has been unnoticeable for how many crucial games now? When's the last time Mario Williams made a, "game changing," play? When's the last time Mario Williams had a, "big game," that anyone can actually remember?

The Miami game in Week 7. That was the last game that he made a real impact in. He had a couple sacks and the sack/fumble which won us the game. Since then he has 14 tackles and 2 sacks. He's broken up some passes the past several weeks but that's about it.

Mace
12-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Turns it on, turns it off. At least he has an "on" sometimes, I guess. Up to Pettine and Marrone. Would be interesting to see what would happen if they brought in someone to compete for his job. Probably nothing much, he gets his money. At least he's not Haynesworthing and works part time at a full time job.

Woo.

ICRockets
12-20-2013, 09:21 PM
You understand the majority of Jerry Hughes' sacks come because Mario's getting double teamed, right?

Generally, people whose opinions aren't piles of **** don't complain about the team leader in a stat the team leads the league in.

Mace
12-20-2013, 09:31 PM
You understand the majority of Jerry Hughes' sacks come because Mario's getting double teamed, right?

Generally, people whose opinions aren't piles of **** don't complain about the team leader in a stat the team leads the league in.

Honestly, I thought so too, but most games they're double teaming the interior if you watch close. Mario never even falls to the ground most games.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Fools Gold.

I'd rather cut him and use that money to sign Cutler.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 09:41 PM
The Miami game in Week 7. That was the last game that he made a real impact in. He had a couple sacks and the sack/fumble which won us the game. Since then he has 14 tackles and 2 sacks. He's broken up some passes the past several weeks but that's about it.

one of those sacks the QB was already laying on the ground.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Marios double teamed, Dareus is double teamed, Kyle is double teamed, how many players are on offense?

That leaves 3 Bills defenders standing around doing nothing. If you count the other teams QB, thats 4 Bills defenders with no one on them.

Bangarang
12-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Fools Gold.

Cutler? This is a joke right?

ICRockets
12-20-2013, 10:49 PM

No, it's perfect. EJ can't stay healthy, so we need a guy like Jay Cutler whose strongest asset is his durability.

Oaf
12-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Mario had one of the best games of the season according to those who analyzed the tape last week. Maybe you should try before making threads like this.

It's not like we use surplus cash anyway. (*cough* Rhinehart *cough* Levitre *cough* Byrd)

Skooby
12-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Coasting.

Mouldsie
12-21-2013, 03:32 AM
Step one: Let Byrd go
Step two: Cut Stevie
Step three: Cut Mario
Step 4: Profit!

YardRat
12-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Mario will probably never be able to live up to his contract, that's one reason why you don't make guys the highest paid at their position in the entire league.
I'm guessing the same people complaining about Mario's money are mostly also in the 'we need to overpay Byrd' camp.
If we can get a third rounder that will produce double-digit sacks, I'm all for it.
Screw Cutler, he probably won't even be able to win his job back in Chicago, and will be tossed to free agency.

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Fools Gold.

I'd rather cut him and use that money to sign Cutler.Really? The guy that seems to have no heart and gets injured almost every year. You mean the guy that couldn't get his team to the playoffs with a +20 turnover ratio and a defense that ranked third in points allowed? A guy that got in a snit when Denver was listened to trade offers concerning him and then forced a trade because he had huwted feewings?

You really want that Gizmo?

Night Train
12-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Nope...but his posts are.

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Mario will probably never be able to live up to his contract, that's one reason why you don't make guys the highest paid at their position in the entire league.
I'm guessing the same people complaining about Mario's money are mostly also in the 'we need to overpay Byrd' camp.
If we can get a third rounder that will produce double-digit sacks, I'm all for it.
Screw Cutler, he probably won't even be able to win his job back in Chicago, and will be tossed to free agency.Lets see.

Mario sucks
Johnson sucks
Dareus sucks
Spiller sucks
Manuel sucks
Leonhard sucks
McKelvin sucks
Gilmore sucks

Looks like some of you guys have incredible job opportunities. Grab your helmets and be a walk-on free agent. Don't forget your cups.....er nevermind, you probably don't have anything to protect.

TacklingDummy
12-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Really? The guy that seems to have no heart and gets injured almost every year. You mean the guy that couldn't get his team to the playoffs with a +20 turnover ratio and a defense that ranked third in points allowed? A guy that got in a snit when Denver was listened to trade offers concerning him and then forced a trade because he had huwted feewings?

You really want that Gizmo?id rather get Rivers but I'm not sure he's available.

stuckincincy
12-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Really? The guy that seems to have no heart and gets injured almost every year. You mean the guy that couldn't get his team to the playoffs with a +20 turnover ratio and a defense that ranked third in points allowed? A guy that got in a snit when Denver was listened to trade offers concerning him and then forced a trade because he had huwted feewings?

You really want that Gizmo?

He's Jeff George with half the talent...

Meathead
12-21-2013, 06:32 AM
dline doesnt get a lot of tackles so comparing them on that stat to the guys behind them is kinda meaningless

that said, mario hasnt been much of a difference maker. i never expected him (or anybody) to live up to that contract but i would have liked to see him be the catalyst for big and timely plays more often

THATHURMANATOR
12-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Another tired thread about this? Who gives a ****?

Don't Panic
12-21-2013, 06:46 AM
It's gonna be a long winter around here...

coastal
12-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Cut Marioi completely agree.

u don't make a guy who doesn't want to be a leader the highest paid player in the history of the organization.

Its insane, unless of course signing him was nothing more than a marketing ploy.

the very essence of Fool's Gold and part of my point all along.

coastal
12-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Another tired thread about this? Who gives a ****?im hoping all the so-called loyal Bills fans who's support of the team is paying this idiots salary. Afterall... who do you think is paying for this...

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/wivb.com/photos/2012/06/g3221-mario-williams-buys-home-in-wny/64656-e361a.jpg

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 07:01 AM
i completely agree.Whoda thunk it!!! It's also appropriate that you don't capitalize "I" in a sentence. Your importance in the hierarchy of football acumen is just that....a small letter.

Jan Reimers
12-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Mario disappears in far too many games.

DraftBoy
12-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Yea awesome idea let's cut him and sign Cutler! Oh wait…that's right…he'd represent over $17 million in dead cap space if we cut him. Come on guys think!

His cap hit is up to $19 million in the years after that, oh joy!

DraftBoy
12-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Mario disappears in far too many games.

He certainly has recently (though I didn't watch the last game where he was scored highly).

TacklingDummy
12-21-2013, 07:19 AM
im hoping all the so-called loyal Bills fans who's support of the team is paying this idiots salary. Afterall... who do you think is paying for this...

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/wivb.com/photos/2012/06/g3221-mario-williams-buys-home-in-wny/64656-e361a.jpg

Is that really Marios house?

Props to him for reading. :up:

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Props to him for reading. :up:Yes, and it would greatly benefit many posters here. Of course, that presumes that they CAN read.

Sometimes I wonder.......

coastal
12-21-2013, 07:29 AM
His cap hit is up to $19 million in the years after that, oh joy!the process of cleaning up this organization isn't going to be painless... but then again it's not like we're going to be spending to the cap anyways.

TacklingDummy
12-21-2013, 07:32 AM
dline doesnt get a lot of tackles so comparing them on that stat to the guys behind them is kinda meaningless

that said, mario hasnt been much of a difference maker. i never expected him (or anybody) to live up to that contract but i would have liked to see him be the catalyst for big and timely plays more often
He's lived up to my expectations. He was nothing special before the signing of the huge contract. He's kind of like our new Schobel. Good sometimes, great sometimes, and not noticeable most of the time.

better days
12-21-2013, 07:35 AM
the process of cleaning up this organization isn't going to be painless... but then again it's not like we're going to be spending to the cap anyways.

If only we could clean up this board of STUPID threads.

coastal
12-21-2013, 07:37 AM
If only we could clean up this board of STUPID threads.
And posters.

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 07:40 AM
And posters.Does that mean you will fade into obscurity?

coastal
12-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Does that mean you will fade into obscurity?you'd miss me mountain boy.

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 07:48 AM
you'd miss me mountain boy.HaHa, of course I would.

better days
12-21-2013, 07:50 AM
And posters.

Like you for one.

GingerP
12-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Cutting Mario makes no sense because it saves no cap. It just leaves a bunch of dead money.

I get that Mario isn't DeMarcus Ware in his prime. He never will be. He is overpaid. You would like to see more impact plays.

That doesn't make him terrible. 12 sacks is still 12 sacks.

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm sure any sack Mario has in the last two games will be dubbed "meaningless" because we are out of the playoff hunt.

I'm also sure that he will be accused of padding his stats against two weaker O-Lines.

Meathead
12-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Is that really Marios house?

Props to him for reading. :up:

i bet you a thousand bucks that negro aint picked up one of those books

coastal
12-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm sure any sack Mario has in the last two games will be dubbed "meaningless" because we are out of the playoff hunt.

I'm also sure that he will be accused of padding his stats against two weaker O-Lines.
You're starting to catch on to the scam that is Mario Williams.

coastal
12-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Like you for one.derp.

better days
12-21-2013, 08:56 AM
derp.

Thanks for proving my point derp.

You are one of the WORST posters on this board.

coastal
12-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for proving my point derp.

You are one of the WORST posters on this board.
Derp.

Skooby
12-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Mario's is good for another 3-4 sacks over the coming weeks, then everyone can point to his 15-16 sack season as a success.

pmoon6
12-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Derp.Is Derp like a belch?

coastal
12-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Is Derp like a belch?
For potatoes.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2013, 11:46 AM
He got paid based on what his performance in Houston was...guess what? His performance here is no different.

If you liked the signing to begin with and hate it now, why? They got what they paid for.

Now if you hated the signing all along, he's done nothing to win you over so I get that.

DraftBoy
12-21-2013, 11:52 AM
the process of cleaning up this organization isn't going to be painless... but then again it's not like we're going to be spending to the cap anyways.

So you want to take 19 million away plus the amount we already weren't going to send to the cap? Great idea...

Mouldsie
12-21-2013, 12:02 PM
This thread is insanity

coastal
12-21-2013, 12:06 PM
So you want to take 19 million away plus the amount we already weren't going to send to the cap? Great idea...
Managing a team full of people is all about a cap number.

brilliant.

BuffaloRedleg
12-21-2013, 02:23 PM
He's like #3 in the NFL on a team that is #1 in the NFL in sacks.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't think we should keep Byrd.

Let's just kick everyone who is good off the team so we don't have to pay anyone a high salary. You must be Ralph's accountant.

coastal
12-21-2013, 02:27 PM
He's like #3 in the NFL on a team that is #1 in the NFL in sacks.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't think we should keep Byrd.

Let's just kick everyone who is good off the team so we don't have to pay anyone a high salary. You must be Ralph's accountant.
Rebuilding this team the proper way is going to be difficult.

BuffaloRedleg
12-21-2013, 02:28 PM

I've given up on the idea that this team will ever properly rebuild. I'm just here for the party at this point.

coastal
12-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I've given up on the idea that this team will ever properly rebuild. I'm just here for the party at this point.
It's a blood letting.. has been for awhile to be honest.

Meathead
12-21-2013, 03:02 PM
i dont see any reason why this team cant compete for the division right now. theyve got prime or subprime playmakers at every position except qb. another full season in their systems, a revamped scouting dept that hit it out of the park the last couple drafts, and a young team coming of age mostly together

they are probably another season away from having any real shot to be a playoff threat, but making it there is now a reasonable goal imo. most of it depends on if ej will take that next step as he should, and i believe he will

coastal
12-21-2013, 03:15 PM
i dont see any reason why this team cant compete for the division right now. theyve got prime or subprime playmakers at every position except qb. another full season in their systems, a revamped scouting dept that hit it out of the park the last couple drafts, and a young team coming of age mostly together

they are probably another season away from having any real shot to be a playoff threat, but making it there is now a reasonable goal imo. most of it depends on if ej will take that next step as he should, and i believe he will
They didn't even give Levitre a contract offer and went into the year with Legursky at LG?

what about that gives you hope?

YardRat
12-21-2013, 03:48 PM
They didn't even give Levitre a contract offer and went into the year with Legursky at LG?

I'd rather overpay for a defensive player that is actually producing, and impacting games, than a one-trick pony over-hyped lightweight wussie of a guard that struggles blocking anybody anywhere near his size. Mario is an integral part of a defense that has improved...Levitre is a system-specific, dime-a-dozen interior lineman. The defense, with Mario, has gotten better...the offense, without Levitre, certainly hasn't gotten any worse.

Mace
12-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Haha, actually they went into the year with Colin Brown at LG and Legursky on the pines. Actually gives me less hope, but it's still funny. Come to think of it, it's not really that funny. Never mind.

Meathead
12-21-2013, 04:23 PM
lg indeed was and is a big problem but it was the right move to let levitre find somebody else to overpay him. with another offseason they will find somebody at half the price that give them close to the same production and be able to invest that money elsewhere

YardRat
12-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Mario is a far better defensive end/lber than Levitre is a guard, or Byrd a FS.

Raptor
12-21-2013, 04:53 PM
i completely agree.

u don't make a guy who doesn't want to be a leader the highest paid player in the history of the organization.

Its insane, unless of course signing him was nothing more than a marketing ploy.

the very essence of Fool's Gold and part of my point all along.

Jeremy Mincy...

The Jokeman
12-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Fools Gold.

Cutler's a fools gold when it comes to QBs. Keep Mario because we're not going to beat the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots in shoot outs but more by stopping their offenses and put enough points on the board to win. So this offseason I target a TE to replace Chandler (preferable Dennis Pitta) and a WR to man an outside spot (maybe James Jones) and leave Graham and Goodwin on the bench. Also it's vital to keep Byrd this offseason. Carrington be nice to bring back as would Branch and think the first might be easier to re-sign than the second.

The Jokeman
12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
lg indeed was and is a big problem but it was the right move to let levitre find somebody else to overpay him. with another offseason they will find somebody at half the price that give them close to the same production and be able to invest that money elsewhere

If we shore up some needs in UFA I could see taking an OG prospect in Round 2 of the draft. Right now if had name a name it be David Yankey.

jdaltroy5
12-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Some of you guys are way too obsessed with how much a player makes.

Unless there is a guy on the bench that is better than Mario, I want Mario on the team.

Forget about the money, having the most talent on the field is all we as fans should hope for.

Skooby
12-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Some of you guys are way too obsessed with how much a player makes.

Unless there is a guy on the bench that is better than Mario, I want Mario on the team.

Forget about the money, having the most talent on the field is all we as fans should hope for.

When Mario wants to be the best, he's really good.

jdaltroy5
12-21-2013, 06:47 PM
When Mario wants to be the best, he's really good.
Yeah, I'm sure he just doesn't want to be the best.

Or maybe, you know, it's the fact that he's going up against a world class athlete on the other side of the ball.

Skooby
12-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he just doesn't want to be the best.

Or maybe, you know, it's the fact that he's going up against a world class athlete on the other side of the ball.

If Mario found a physical match, he needs to move to a weaker player. The O-linemen won't shift out of their position, so there's always somebody to exploit. It's up to our coaches to see who's hurt or not playing well & exploit weaknesses. Have no fear if a defensive guy is not playing well, the opposing offenses will run that way or throw that way if it's a player in the secondary.

gr8slayer
12-21-2013, 07:18 PM
He's likely to match his career high in sacks, what do you want from the guy? The DL is far from being an issue on this team, and he's a big reason for that; guy is having a good season. He's a guy that I watch on tape, and accept that his statistics aren't accurately representing what a good year he's having. It's not his fault that the Bills paid him $100 million, what was he supposed to do, request less money?

DraftBoy
12-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Managing a team full of people is all about a cap number.

brilliant.

That makes absolutely no sense.

split71
12-21-2013, 08:59 PM

In your opinion, what is the proper way?

Skooby
12-21-2013, 09:01 PM
In your opinion, what is the proper way?

New QB, a staff of people that had some previous level of success at a college level.

Mace
12-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but I will. There is no indication whatever that the Bills even made him an offer, so there isn't even any indication they would have needed to overpay him or by how much compared to his best offer set loose in the open market.

Given that you can't even guess what he would have taken to stay, and how the LG position has destabilized the line and depth chart, combined with the extra money the Bills have that is not adding anything to team performance and accordingly fan satisfaction....

You can't really say he wasn't worth how much you don't know he'd have taken, but you do know for a fact losing him didn't help anything whatever.

As for Williams, well, he turns it on and off and I'll say again at least he's not Haynesworthing. Their own fault for what they are paying him, and their own fault for whatever they aren't paying Levitre who affects a variety of other skill position players they are attempting to get value from. As a part in this defense, Mario doesn't hurt my feelings any though it would make me feel better to see some dirt or grass stains on his whites.

YardRat
12-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but I will. There is no indication whatever that the Bills even made him an offer, so there isn't even any indication they would have needed to overpay him or by how much compared to his best offer set loose in the open market.

Given that you can't even guess what he would have taken to stay, and how the LG position has destabilized the line and depth chart, combined with the extra money the Bills have that is not adding anything to team performance and accordingly fan satisfaction....

You can't really say he wasn't worth how much you don't know he'd have taken, but you do know for a fact losing him didn't help anything whatever.

As for Williams, well, he turns it on and off and I'll say again at least he's not Haynesworthing. Their own fault for what they are paying him, and their own fault for whatever they aren't paying Levitre who affects a variety of other skill position players they are attempting to get value from. As a part in this defense, Mario doesn't hurt my feelings any though it would make me feel better to see some dirt or grass stains on his whites.

Either Levitre and his agent called the Bills with the Tennessee offer to see if they were interested in matching or upping the ante, and they rightfully said 'no', or they didn't give the Bills the opportunity to match, which means he didn't want to be here anyway.

Mace
12-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Either Levitre and his agent called the Bills with the Tennessee offer to see if they were interested in matching or upping the ante, and they rightfully said 'no', or they didn't give the Bills the opportunity to match, which means he didn't want to be here anyway.

Well no. They gave the Bills a chance to match the best open market offer which wasn't going to happen. The Bills didn't make him one when they could have, which means the Bills didn't want him here. That's a big diff. If you look back you'll see Levitre saying publicly he wished they'd just make him an offer, and by now it would have come out if they ever did. Common courtesy to give a team a chance to match, but common courtesy too for a team to make an offer.

Edit, correction, I don't even see anything where they gave the Bills a chance to match, and rightfully so if they never heard anything from them anyway.

coastal
12-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Levitre didn't want to leave Buffalo.

he was never given the opportunity to stay.

better days
12-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Most likely the Bills knew Levitre would command more money than they wanted to pay him.

coastal
12-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Most likely the Bills knew Levitre would command more money than they wanted to pay him.
Duh.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2013, 09:02 PM
So Coastal, I'm curious...what would Mario have to do to live up to your expectations?

25 sacks? 50 tackles? 15 TFL?

BillsImpossible
12-22-2013, 09:04 PM
It's okay to pay stupid money to a DE, but it's stupid to pay a guard $8 million+ a season.

Who helps score more points?

The guard, just ask Tom Brady on that one.

coastal
12-22-2013, 09:05 PM
So Coastal, I'm curious...what would Mario have to do to live up to your expectations?

25 sacks? 50 tackles? 15 TFL?be a leader.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2013, 09:08 PM
be a leader.

He's not a leader. Never was. Never will be.

Skooby
12-22-2013, 09:12 PM
The leopard will never change his spots, Mario is no leader.

ServoBillieves
12-22-2013, 09:15 PM
I love stat chasers... never actually watch what a player does but doesnt see a ton of stats and assumes theyre worthless. No one is worth $100mil but cmon... dont be stupid.

coastal
12-22-2013, 09:21 PM
He's not a leader. Never was. Never will be.
Then why make him the highest paid member of an organization?

An operations manager would never do that.

now... a marketer?

let a marketer run a business... and oh boy... big fun will be had by all.

- - - Updated - - -

The leopard will never change his spots, Mario is no leader.
Fool's Gold

better days
12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Then why make him the highest paid member of an organization?

An operations manager would never do that.

now... a marketer?

let a marketer run a business... and oh boy... big fun will be had by all.

- - - Updated - - -

Fool's Gold

You make Mario the highest paid player because he was the BEST player available at sacking the QB.

Everyone knows free agents are over paid. And as the best FA, Mario was the most overpaid.

SO WHAT? He did bring value on the field & in marketing.

streetkings01
12-22-2013, 10:51 PM
I have no problem with Mario's production..........just 3 seasons ago our leading sacker was Dareus with 5.5. Screw the contract it's not my money........he's given us 23.5 sacks in 2 seasons. Kelsey gave us 32.5 in 10 seasons.........people will always find something to complain about.

chris66
12-24-2013, 01:36 PM
You make Mario the highest paid player because he was the BEST player available at sacking the QB.

Everyone knows free agents are over paid. And as the best FA, Mario was the most overpaid.

SO WHAT? He did bring value on the field & in marketing.sacks are overrated. Bills have 52, but only 6 wins. must be the coaches fault

better days
12-24-2013, 04:14 PM
sacks are overrated. Bills have 52, but only 6 wins. must be the coaches fault

The Bills have been great stopping the pass.

Against stopping the run, not so much.

They need to stop the Pats* run game like they did the Fins & the Bills will win this game.

EricStratton
12-24-2013, 04:33 PM
He's third in the league in sacks and is the leader in that category for a team that leads the league in sacks.

That sounds like a leader to me.

imbondz
12-24-2013, 04:40 PM
All we did was complain about zero pass rush two years ago. Now we arguably have one of the top ones in the league and we complain.

coastal
12-24-2013, 06:26 PM
9.5 of Mario's sacks came against 3 teams, and half of those basically against one team.

Fool's Gold.

SquishDaFish
12-24-2013, 07:02 PM
All we did was complain about zero pass rush two years ago. Now we arguably have one of the top ones in the league and we complain.

Please dont use the word WE. We are fans the idiots complaining are ****ing ******ed :shortbus: So called fans

Beebe's Kid
12-24-2013, 07:52 PM
I think the Bills should cut everybody. Then we'll have a total rebuild.

This thread is stupid. I am pissed that I read through it. It is odd that there has to be a thread about cutting every one of our better players.

My absolute favorite is the argument that a player didn't want to be in Buffalo. Haha...like the players are really doing anything other than a job. They don't spend a considerable amount of money on this team...they probably don't even remember the "glory years." They don't care. They came here to get a paycheck. All of them. It is their job. Levitre would have wanted to be on this perennial 7 win team if he would have been paid enough. He probably would have eagerly anticipated the new coach he was going to have in 2 years, as well, had they ponied up the scratch.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Because they can't stop the run.

Skooby
12-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Because they can't stop the run.

Well, last game we stopped everything but normally that's our problem.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, last game we stopped everything but normally that's our problem.

Miami stinks and their rush offense is 26th.

bdutton
12-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Top defense in sacks, forced fumbles and tackles. Buffalo.

Mario has been a key to the entire defense.

Skooby
12-25-2013, 05:33 AM
We have more tackles than anyone in the league, which means we had more plays ran against us as well & it lead to more opportunities for sacks.

bdutton
12-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Buffalo was 3rd in the AFC (8th NFL) with yards allowed. That is up from 8th and 22nd respectively over last year. That was even better than the year before (14th, 26th) after adding Mario.

The defense is also 8th in points allowed per game. Up from 22nd from last year.

This defense has made great strides.

kishoph
12-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Top defense in sacks, forced fumbles and tackles. Buffalo.

Mario has been a key to the entire defense.

We're really not close for forced fumbles, but we are 2nd in interceptions.

We have more tackles than anyone in the league, which means we had more plays ran against us as well & it lead to more opportunities for sacks.

The bolded part is not valid, since we are 7th in total plays against us and 14th in pass attempts against.

sudzy
12-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Is anyone worth $100 million? No. But, he's a huge part of this defense. The only side of this team that's good. And it's more then the 13 sacks. Watch the Kyle Williams sack that knocked Tannahill out. Kyle and Mario ran a stunt and three guys stayed with Mario and Kyle went free.

coastal
12-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Merry Christmas Fool's Gold.

I hope your library burns down.

SquishDaFish
12-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Merry Christmas Fool's Gold.

I hope your library burns down.

You maam are pathetic excuse of a fan

YardRat
12-25-2013, 10:58 AM

The only way he was going to stay in Buffalo was if they gave him a ridiculous contract. If he wanted to stay, he would've signed for an amount commensurate with his abilities. Money was his #1 priority, and his comments are documented to support that.

better days
12-25-2013, 11:33 AM
The only way he was going to stay in Buffalo was if they gave him a ridiculous contract. If he wanted to stay, he would've signed for an amount commensurate with his abilities. Money was his #1 priority, and his comments are documented to support that.

You can't blame a guy for taking a ridiculous amount of money that will provide for his & his families future.

If a team offers that to Byrd, I would not blame him for taking it either.......................but I want a HIGH pick in return.

The Bills could not tag Levitre because they used that tag on Byrd so we got nothing for him.

coastal
12-25-2013, 12:11 PM
And don't you think that has an overall effect on the whole organization?

Ingtar33
12-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Jerry Hughes has 9 sacks so far this season, and 44 tackles.
Nickell Robey has more tackles than Mario Williams, with 34.
How is that humanly possible that a man who is 5'7 and weighs 165 lbs soaking wet has more NFL tackles than Mario Williams does, who is 6'7 300 lbs?
That's not right.
Robert Mathis signed a contract in 2012 for 4 years, $36 million. He is currently the NFL sack leader with 16.5.
Draft gurus like to talk about, "value," a lot. Is there a player the Bills can draft in round 1 to replace Mario Williams?
There's probably a player in round 3 that can replace Mario Williams.
He's no Bruce Smith. Williams is not holding up his end of the $100 million bargain.
I'd rather see the Bills spend $50 million each on two free agents that can help score points.
Are the Bills better on defense because of Mario Williams?
No, and it shows.

yes, lets blow up the strength of this team (defensive line) and make more holes in the team by getting rid of Mario Williams. How dare he make more money then he "should"... I mean we've only just chased Schobel out of town 3 years ago for failing to live up to his contact... it only took 3 years, multiple draft pics and free agent signings to find another 10+ sack/year DE.

good god... it was thinking like this that keeps this team locked in a perpetual state of rebuilding. How about this everyone. Lets not talk about people to cut for being "overpaid" until we're in salary cap trouble. Last i knew we were still 20-40mil under the cap. But why not get rid of a vet who's producing for this team just to make ourselves feel better? I mean 10+ sack DEs just rain down on teams when they need one.

DraftBoy
12-25-2013, 08:02 PM
yes, lets blow up the strength of this team (defensive line) and make more holes in the team by getting rid of Mario Williams. How dare he make more money then he "should"... I mean we've only just chased Schobel out of town 3 years ago for failing to live up to his contact... it only took 3 years, multiple draft pics and free agent signings to find another 10+ sack/year DE.

good god... it was thinking like this that keeps this team locked in a perpetual state of rebuilding. How about this everyone. Lets not talk about people to cut for being "overpaid" until we're in salary cap trouble. Last i knew we were still 20-40mil under the cap. But why not get rid of a vet who's producing for this team just to make ourselves feel better? I mean 10+ sack DEs just rain down on teams when they need one.

The Atlanta Falcons wanted to say hello...

YardRat
12-25-2013, 08:26 PM
You can't blame a guy for taking a ridiculous amount of money that will provide for his & his families future.

If a team offers that to Byrd, I would not blame him for taking it either.......................but I want a HIGH pick in return.

The Bills could not tag Levitre because they used that tag on Byrd so we got nothing for him.

I don't blame him one bit...but then again, I'm not one of the posters that blame the Bills for not being the team to overpay for his services.

I don't know that...but, in a case like Levitre, I would think there are plenty of guys in the locker room that don't have ill will toward the front office or the owner for not ponying up ridiculous money. Plenty of other guys have re-signed, and there are plenty of examples that the team will re-sign it's own for what they consider a fair and equitable contract. They extended Fitz and Stevie, and Levitre's situation didn't prevent Wood or Branch from re-upping. I would guess that Wood was probably closer to Levitre than anybody else on the team, and he didn't hold it against the organization when his time came due.

trapezeus
12-26-2013, 08:30 AM
the original poster will support the bills in absurd ways, but the guy who actually is doing his job, has the stats to back it up and plays on a part of the team that is our strength, and he wants him gone.

if i didn't know any better, russ brandon is bills impossible.

Mr. Pink
12-26-2013, 11:48 AM

How so?

Levitre and the Bills aren't some isolated incident.

Many players go to wherever they can make the most dollars. Be it the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL.

Bill Cody
12-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Bill Polian talks about building a team by having stars at the 5 key positions: QB, LT, DE, DT and CB. Mario is a star DE, check. Notice he did not include OG or safety on that list, but I know there's a ton of deep thinkers on this board way smarter than Bill Polian. We overpaid for Mario and I'm glad. Pass rush is a hard commodity to find and if you get it your defense improves. Like ours has. That D is a couple very good players away from being special.

Night Train
12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
I see 2 blockers on him most plays, while others get in and make a play. Coincidence ? Hardly.

He's overpaid. Everyone on the planet knows that.

It was done to establish some cred with the league and the fans. I'm glad he's on our roster.

BillsFever21
12-27-2013, 05:37 PM
They extended Fitz and Stevie, and Levitre's situation didn't prevent Wood or Branch from re-upping. I would guess that Wood was probably closer to Levitre than anybody else on the team, and he didn't hold it against the organization when his time came due.

That Fitzpatrick extension worked out real great. We only paid him 20 million dollars to play one more season. They really knew what they were doing on that one. Great job of determining his value.

Why would Eric Wood turn down top 5 money when he had the opportunity earlier in the season? That would be crazy to take that chance with all the injuries he had prior to this year. He could've went down at any point and maybe not have gotten the same money.

That's exactly what Levitre got was top 5 money too. If Levitre is overpaid as a top 5 guard then wouldn't Wood also be overpaid as a top 5 center? I'm sure if Wood wasn't signed this season and left in free agency you would probably say he was overpaid and wasn't worth the top 5 money too.

better days
12-27-2013, 06:42 PM
That Fitzpatrick extension worked out real great. We only paid him 20 million dollars to play one more season. They really knew what they were doing on that one. Great job of determining his value.

Why would Eric Wood turn down top 5 money when he had the opportunity earlier in the season? That would be crazy to take that chance with all the injuries he had prior to this year. He could've went down at any point and maybe not have gotten the same money.

That's exactly what Levitre got was top 5 money too. If Levitre is overpaid as a top 5 guard then wouldn't Wood also be overpaid as a top 5 center? I'm sure if Wood wasn't signed this season and left in free agency you would probably say he was overpaid and wasn't worth the top 5 money too.

Levitre may not be a top 5 guard, but he is very good. And he is an Iron man. I don't think he has missed a game yet & that is huge IMO.

Wood on the other hand can be considered a top 5 center...........when healthy. Let's hope the injuries are behind him.

EricStratton
12-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Levitre has been so good that his team is 15th in rushing, his starting QB almost got killed, his team also has 6 wins and his coach may get fired.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Levitre has been so good that his team is 15th in rushing, his starting QB almost got killed, his team also has 6 wins and his coach may get fired.That's why you don't pay 9 million a year for a Guard.

YardRat
12-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Wood isn't worth top 5 money, and the big difference between the two is the first year of the contract...Wood is making far less in the first season of his deal and isn't even in the top 20 for centers, and that kicks him outside of the top 5.

Turf
12-27-2013, 08:39 PM
We're really not close for forced fumbles, but we are 2nd in interceptions.

The bolded part is not valid, since we are 7th in total plays against us and 14th in pass attempts against.

If we didn't run this stupid no huddle rush offense, those number would be much better.

jimbohastle51
12-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Mario is not going anywhere first off and second... The response in this post are beyond comical in most cases.

Mario has a big bonus due before next year I believe its over 10mil... Now here is where you should pay attention.... The reason monster bonuses such as this are put into NFL contracts are to give the team and player a chance to get out of the deal.

For instance the bills can choose to pay the huge bonus and keep mario, or they can do what most teams do and go to Mario's agent and renegotiate his contract. If you have noticed in today's NFL this is done ALL the time in situations like this. The bills will pay the bonus if they have to because after paying it he is only owed 1.9 mil in salary for the season. So they basically would just be paying him his yearly salary upfront. The most likely scenario is that mario agrees to a more friendly deal that would again give him a big signing bonus but would convert money so he is not as big of a cap hit next season.

Mario holds leverage because he can force the bills hand (they do not want to let a 13sack player who sells tons of jerseys to just walk away) and basically not agree to a new deal. The smart money says mario likes playing in a qb killing defense next to two elite defensive tackles which completely makes his job easier and would like to just convert some cash and spread a little money down the road and pretty much coast to more 10+ sack seasons while the opportunity is here.

No player is worth $100 million just on the field but in jersey sales and advertising they can make themselves useful, but the though of mario being let go is comical. Not only has he produced but if you notice jerry what's his name has 10 sacks this year and kyle Williams and dareus are both playing out of this world. His contract is not just about what he does but what he helps allow others to do by being on the field.

GingerP
12-28-2013, 05:11 AM
The most likely scenario is that mario agrees to a more friendly deal that would again give him a big signing bonus but would convert money so he is not as big of a cap hit next season.

I'm not sure they don't just pay him the roster bonus and live with the high cap number. They can afford it, because they aren't paying QB money to anyone. It isn't like they are hurting for cap room.

If they convert the roster bonus to signing bonus they leverage the contract even more, pushing more into future years. So, yeah, it would lower his cap hit next year to a much more reasonable $11.5M or so, but considering they didn't use this space this year what is the reason for doing so?

The other effect is raising his cap numbers in 2015 & 2016 to over $22M, and raising the dead money cost higher as well. Makes no sense. They can just pay him his bonus and live with his $19M-$20M cap numbers over the next few years, then as he gets older and they need the cap room (hopefully, to pay a QB) they can release him with less of a dead money hit or extend him to lower it at a more reasonable price.