PDA

View Full Version : Draft: CLE, JAX, TB, MIN solidify their spots

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Pull for PIT to beat GB, NYG to beat DET.

HAMMER
12-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Really? Who gives a shnit.

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Really? Who gives a shnit.

Anyone without dead air between their ears does. As in 2004, when the difference of 2 spots would have given the Bills Ben Roethlisburger instead of Lee Evans.

alohabillsfan
12-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Someone needs a life :)

Don't Panic
12-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Someone needs a life :)

You're on a Bills message board in late Decemebr at the tail end of Season 14 without playoffs and you say someone who starts a thread about draft positioning needs a life? Things that make you go hmmmm....

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 06:46 PM
The cards fell right for the Bills. NYG wins in OT 23 - 20 to go to 6 and 9, PIT scores late to go to 7 and 8 as GB fails to score from inside the PIT 10 with seconds to go.

Meathead
12-22-2013, 07:05 PM
bills arent going to be near the top of the order so its not as important but still each slot can make a difference. im really glad the bills put the fish playoff chances on the brink, well worth a couple spots in the draft. id also be happy to lose another couple slots if we can put a fork in the cheaters first round bye

THRILLHO
12-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Anyone without dead air between their ears does. As in 2004, when the difference of 2 spots would have given the Bills Ben Roethlisburger instead of Lee Evans.

It would have given us the CHOICE for Ben over Evans.

We have no way of knowing who would have been drafted if that were the case. Just another reason why hoping your team loses for the draft is stupid.

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 07:25 PM
bills arent going to be near the top of the order so its not as important but still each slot can make a difference. im really glad the bills put the fish playoff chances on the brink, well worth a couple spots in the draft. id also be happy to lose another couple slots if we can put a fork in the cheaters first round bye

Yep. BUF has an opportunity to cost them a 1st round bye. If CIN wins over BAL and BUF wins next week, CIN gets the bye because of their win over NE in week 5. It was a snotty weather game. 13 - 6 late, with the Pats driving deep into B'gals territory. Then, divine intervention. The rain came down in sheets, the Chosen One tossed a pass that bounced up and fell into the lap of a B'gal player lying on his back. It restored one's faith.

It will be a tough task. I'm pretty sure the ref crew will be handed laminated cards with Bills' jersey numbers, to expedite the penalty calls...

T-Long
12-22-2013, 07:26 PM

We have no way of knowing who would have been drafted if that were the case. Just another reason why hoping your team loses for the draft is stupid.

It would have been Ben IMO...if you ever watch the behind the scenes draft day with Ben and his agent Leigh Steinberg..Steinberg was telling Ben all day it would be Buffalo from his conversations with the team. Not a guarantee, but I truly think if Ben was there when Bills were on clock they would have taken him. I mean, they took Losman in the same draft, needing a QB badly.

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 07:34 PM

One - show me where I was wishing for BUF to lose. I did no such thing. What I offered up was a scenario, favorable to the Bills, if two other teams lost. Which they did. You should be happy about that.

Two - all of Western Civilization knew that the Bills would have grabbed Ben R given the chance.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Sorry I have to agree with the OP that the ability to lose bad is a skill. In terms of NFL tradition/fan base, I think Indy Colts ranks near the bottom. But they had Manning and now Luck, which means they have at least two generations Colts fans enjoy winning NFL seasons year after year and national attention. Well managed teams like the Steelers, Broncos do exist. But that's hard to achieve.

What you should not tolerate is bad front office who consistently making bad choices. The Bills arguably had the best draft last year in a decade. They need to follow that up next year and any drafting position advantage helps.

Skooby
12-22-2013, 07:39 PM
One - show me where I was wishing for BUF to lose. I did no such thing. What I offered up was a scenario, favorable to the Bills, if two other teams lost. Which they did. You should be happy about that.

Two - all of Western Civilization knew that the Bills would have grabbed Ben R given the chance.

If my Grandma had a pair she'd be my Grandpa.

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=MitchMurrayDowntown;3891358]If my Grandma had a pair she'd be my Grandpa.[/QUO

A comment more contextual, perhaps?

THRILLHO
12-22-2013, 08:21 PM

I wasnt trying to say you wanted us to lose, I was speaking in general terms about people that hope we do.

stuckincincy
12-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I wasnt trying to say you wanted us to lose, I was speaking in general terms about people that hope we do.

All is good.

Sad, though, that draft position predictions have been the highlight for many a season... :rain:

X-Era
12-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I was there. And if today's win launches this team to being a playoff team great...

Color me unconvinced.

better days
12-22-2013, 10:34 PM
I was there. And if today's win launches this team to being a playoff team great...

Color me unconvinced.

If the Bills win against the Pats* next week, there will still be fans that are unconvinced.

But I think changing the culture on this team is more important than a draft pick myself.

If the Bills can get their first win in the Pats* Stadium next week, I think that will go a long way in righting the ship.

Much more so than a player that could have been had a few picks earlier if the Bills lose.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2013, 10:58 PM
If the Bills win against the Pats* next week, there will still be fans that are unconvinced.

But I think changing the culture on this team is more important than a draft pick myself.

If the Bills can get their first win in the Pats* Stadium next week, I think that will go a long way in righting the ship.

Much more so than a player that could have been had a few picks earlier if the Bills lose.

It baffles me why people continue to think this way when there is proven evidence that what you're suggesting, simply does not exist.

Say Legursky throws a mammoth block that keeps EJ or Thad clean for the game winning TD pass to Marcus Easley. Why does that matter? Legursky likely isn't here next year and Easley doesn't matter. Or Frank Summers busts a 50 yard TD run? Also doesn't matter. Or Byrd intercepts Brady in OT and returns it for a TD? He may not even be here next year. Or Chandler goes out and has 100+ yards receiving somehow? Also doesn't matter.

There are so many things that can happen in this upcoming game for the Bills to win, that simply won't make a difference on how they perform next year as the contributors to the victory may not even be here. Turnover is huge in the NFL especially in the bottom quarter of an NFL roster meanwhile Chris Brown is thinking there's gonna be turnover at the top of the roster too.

And learning to win is another BS story. As the Redskins knew how to win last year and they absolutely suck this year and on the other end the Chiefs couldn't win last year and this year will be in the playoffs.

All a win Sunday does is give the fans a warm fuzzy feeling until they drop a few spots in the draft and a guy they want or even worse, in the case of 04 and Big Ben, a guy the team wants is no longer available. Let this sink in...one meaningless victory in the 2003 season helped 14 years of no playoffs happen.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM

I thought the same thing about Orakpo. While I think it would have been Ben as well, just never know with this team anymore.

better days
12-23-2013, 09:30 AM
It baffles me why people continue to think this way when there is proven evidence that what you're suggesting, simply does not exist.

Say Legursky throws a mammoth block that keeps EJ or Thad clean for the game winning TD pass to Marcus Easley. Why does that matter? Legursky likely isn't here next year and Easley doesn't matter. Or Frank Summers busts a 50 yard TD run? Also doesn't matter. Or Byrd intercepts Brady in OT and returns it for a TD? He may not even be here next year. Or Chandler goes out and has 100+ yards receiving somehow? Also doesn't matter.

There are so many things that can happen in this upcoming game for the Bills to win, that simply won't make a difference on how they perform next year as the contributors to the victory may not even be here. Turnover is huge in the NFL especially in the bottom quarter of an NFL roster meanwhile Chris Brown is thinking there's gonna be turnover at the top of the roster too.

And learning to win is another BS story. As the Redskins knew how to win last year and they absolutely suck this year and on the other end the Chiefs couldn't win last year and this year will be in the playoffs.

All a win Sunday does is give the fans a warm fuzzy feeling until they drop a few spots in the draft and a guy they want or even worse, in the case of 04 and Big Ben, a guy the team wants is no longer available. Let this sink in...one meaningless victory in the 2003 season helped 14 years of no playoffs happen.

It is not about individuals. It is about a culture change. This team has not made the playoffs in 14 years.

If they win against the Pats* Sunday, next year they will KNOW it can be done. That they can beat ANY team even on the road.

As for the Skins last year, that was an anomaly. No change in culture there. And I expect Danny to blow that team up this offseason.

I think Andy Reed is changing the culture in KC.

pmoon6
12-23-2013, 09:38 AM
It is not about individuals. It is about a culture change. This team has not made the playoffs in 14 years.

If they win against the Pats* Sunday, next year they will KNOW it can be done. That they can beat ANY team even on the road.

As for the Skins last year, that was an anomaly. No change in culture there. And I expect Danny to blow that team up this offseason.

I think Andy Reed is changing the culture in KC.A win also proves that the players didn't pack it in and are willing to play hard for this coaching staff. That is what's called a building block going forward which Mr. Pink, in his usual over analysis and focus on draft position buffoonery fails to grasp.

Meathead
12-23-2013, 12:53 PM
If my Grandma had a pair she'd be my Grandpa.

is your grandpa hot

BillsFever21
12-23-2013, 09:55 PM

The Patriots are a horrible team though. Even through the middle of the season you called them a disaster. Now all of a sudden it would be a huge win to beat a crappy team lead by an aging washed up QB? LOL

Who knows maybe next year it will come true to those who say it every season. It would sure damn be nice.

stuckincincy
12-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Draft order update, week 16:

TEAMS W L T SOS

1 Houston Texans 2 13 0.493
2 St. Louis Rams (WAS) 3 12 0.511
3 Jacksonville Jaguars 4 11 0.493
4 Oakland Raiders 4 11 0.493
5 Cleveland Browns 4 11 0.520
6 Atlanta Falcons 4 11 0.540
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 11 0.564
8 Minnesota Vikings 4 10 1 0.511
9 Buffalo Bills 6 9 0.507
10 Tennessee Titans 6 9 0.529
11 New York Giants 6 9 0.533
12 Detroit Lions 7 8 0.460
13 Pittsburgh Steelers 7 8 0.484
14 New York Jets 7 8 0.489
15 St. Louis Rams 7 8 0.538
16 Green Bay Packers 7 7 1 0.449
17 Chicago Bears 8 7 0.456
18 Baltimore Ravens 8 7 0.467
19 Dallas Cowboys 8 7 0.471
20 San Diego Chargers 8 7 0.484
21 Miami Dolphins 8 7 0.520
22 Philadelphia Eagles 9 6 0.453
23 Cincinnati Bengals 10 5 0.476
24 Cleveland Browns (IND) 10 5 0.502
25 Arizona Cardinals 10 5 0.516
26 New Orleans Saints 10 5 0.542
27 Kansas City Chiefs 11 4 0.436
28 New England Patriots 11 4 0.480
29 San Francisco 49ers 11 4 0.487
30 Carolina Panthers 11 4 0.509
31 Denver Broncos 12 3 0.484
32 Seattle Seahawks 12 3 0.491

Sunday: HOU@TEN, WAS@NYG.

..."For the NFL Draft, the first tiebreaker rule is strength of schedule (SOS), the easier SOS earning the earlier selection. Division and Conference tiebreakers are next and if teams are still tied, a coin flip will determine the team that picks first."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24386591/updated-nfl-draft-order-week-16

Skooby
12-24-2013, 05:50 AM
is your grandpa hot

If it's sunny that day.

better days
12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
The Patriots are a horrible team though. Even through the middle of the season you called them a disaster. Now all of a sudden it would be a huge win to beat a crappy team lead by an aging washed up QB? LOL

Who knows maybe next year it will come true to those who say it every season. It would sure damn be nice.

The Patriots* are not the team they used to be.

Brady like his wife is aging.

But they play good defense & get all the calls in their favor from the officials.

The Bills have NEVER won in that Stadium, so YES it would be a HUGE win for the Bills.

Especially since the Pats* have something to play for in this game.

sudzy
12-24-2013, 06:10 AM

Why do I have the feeling they still would have picked Lee?

Jry44
12-24-2013, 06:28 AM

The draft is such a crap shoot though. You're just as likely to hit on a bust as you are a decent player. It's just so unpredictable. Win your games now, take some momentum into the off season, and worry about draft position when the season is over.

Jry44
12-24-2013, 06:33 AM
I thought the same thing about Orakpo. While I think it would have been Ben as well, just never know with this team anymore.

I get why so many people wanted Orakpo at the time. The guy has god given ability, however he can't stay on the field long enough tom use it. He's the Bob Sanders of DE's. Maybe not getting him wasn't such a bad move after all...

Jry44
12-24-2013, 06:37 AM
The Patriots* are not the team they used to be.

Brady like his wife is aging.

But they play good defense & get all the calls in their favor from the officials.

The Bills have NEVER won in that Stadium, so YES it would be a HUGE win for the Bills.

Especially since the Pats* have something to play for in this game.

On the verge of going 12-4. 2 seed in the playoffs. Going on the road and cleaning the clock of a team fighting for their playoffs lives. I'm pretty sure that we're still seeing the same things from them that we have been seeing for the last 11 years.

And as for Brady, maybe it's just me but I feel like this has been his most impressive season as a pro, given what he has had to work with. I love to hate on them as well, but you have to be realistic at the same time. They still might be the cream of the crop in the AFC, especially now that Denver has lost Vonn Miller for the season.

better days
12-24-2013, 07:26 AM
On the verge of going 12-4. 2 seed in the playoffs. Going on the road and cleaning the clock of a team fighting for their playoffs lives. I'm pretty sure that we're still seeing the same things from them that we have been seeing for the last 11 years.

And as for Brady, maybe it's just me but I feel like this has been his most impressive season as a pro, given what he has had to work with. I love to hate on them as well, but you have to be realistic at the same time. They still might be the cream of the crop in the AFC, especially now that Denver has lost Vonn Miller for the season.

Von Miller was suspended at the start of the season. The Broncos did fine without him then.

The Pats* are a tough out, especially in Foxboro.

That is why if the Bills do win Sunday it will be a HUGE win.

I think Brady's Rookie year was his most impressive.

Now, he is expected to play well even with lesser players.

One thing the Pats* do have aside from a good defense is a good OL. And they get away with HOLDING all the time.