PDA

View Full Version : Early 2014 FA Wish List

DraftBoy
12-23-2013, 12:18 PM
With it being Christmas this week, I took a quick look at the 2014 Free Agents to see who I would like to see the Bills target. Here is my wish list;

TE Andrew Quarless (Packers)
The Packers will likely let Jermicheal Finley walk and may push to resign Quarless but they don't overpay players and he's shown a lot recently with Flynn at QB. I'd make a strong run at him and take the risk on a bigger money contract then his stats would indicate.

OG Jon Asamoah (Chiefs)
The Chiefs will hopefully be too focused on what to do with Albert to pay much attention to Asamoah. A phenomenal pass blocker who has the athleticism to replace Levitre. He should come far cheaper and is younger than Levitre. He may be priority #1 if he hits the market.

OT Jared Veldheer (Raiders)
Had a down year with some injury issues but has been back for two games and has been solid. He's a LT in Oakland who I'd make a RT here. He's big, powerful, and can pass block. He's an ideal replacement for Pears and allow us to use Hairston as the swing tackle he's best suited to be.

DE Micheal Johnson (Bengals)
Had a really poor year after getting the Franchise Tag so I'll look for a bargain on him. That's not to say he'll come cheap but he's going to get less than he would of on a long term deal next year and Cincy will want to bring him back. His versatility to play anywhere on our front would be an ideal addition. You can never have enough pass rushers.

FS Jarius Byrd (Bills)
Pay the man, nothing else needs to be said here.

With those additions and some growth for EJ you're looking at a playoff contender in 2014, imo.

justasportsfan
12-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Is Peyton Manning available? I want him.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2013, 12:56 PM
QB Jay Cutler - if the Bears don't resign him and signing Byrd long term.

The rest of the stuff they do is all window dressing for a team that would compete for a playoff spot with those 2 signings.

Raptor
12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
As long as they sign Byrd long term I could care less what they do in FA'cy. I'm not a big FA'cy guy anyway. What they did last year is what I like, find a gem at a good price like Lawson and then build in the draft

X-Era
12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
With it being Christmas this week, I took a quick look at the 2014 Free Agents to see who I would like to see the Bills target. Here is my wish list;

The Packers will likely let Jermicheal Finley walk and may push to resign Quarless but they don't overpay players and he's shown a lot recently with Flynn at QB. I'd make a strong run at him and take the risk on a bigger money contract then his stats would indicate.

OG Jon Asamoah (Chiefs)
The Chiefs will hopefully be too focused on what to do with Albert to pay much attention to Asamoah. A phenomenal pass blocker who has the athleticism to replace Levitre. He should come far cheaper and is younger than Levitre. He may be priority #1 if he hits the market.

Had a down year with some injury issues but has been back for two games and has been solid. He's a LT in Oakland who I'd make a RT here. He's big, powerful, and can pass block. He's an ideal replacement for Pears and allow us to use Hairston as the swing tackle he's best suited to be.

Had a really poor year after getting the Franchise Tag so I'll look for a bargain on him. That's not to say he'll come cheap but he's going to get less than he would of on a long term deal next year and Cincy will want to bring him back. His versatility to play anywhere on our front would be an ideal addition. You can never have enough pass rushers.

FS Jarius Byrd (Bills)

With those additions and some growth for EJ you're looking at a playoff contender in 2014, imo.
I really like all of that.

Love the Johnson pick.

Definitely pay Byrd.

A few others I like:

OG Kevin Boothe (Cornell alumn)
OT Michael Oher- Not cheap but an upgrade to Pears for sure.
OT Zach Strief- Has great numbers at RT this year according to PFF
OG Danny Watkins- As a primary backup

sukie
12-23-2013, 01:24 PM
The FA class of WRs must suck.

better days
12-23-2013, 01:43 PM
As long as they sign Byrd long term I could care less what they do in FA'cy. I'm not a big FA'cy guy anyway. What they did last year is what I like, find a gem at a good price like Lawson and then build in the draft

Lawson & Branch. I said when they were signed, they would help the Bills win games.

Which they did.............just not enough of them.

A LG, RT & LB & this team is in business.

And don't forget the Bills did sign a TE already in Tony Moeaki. 26 years old 3 years experience. I think he could be the TE the Bills need.

JCBills
12-23-2013, 02:01 PM
I have seen that Veldheer and Oakland are talking an extension.

DesertFox24
12-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I think we might see the bills go after a guard and a boundary corner in this year FA.

Maybe a DL if they lose carrington and another LB since we are losing Moats probably.

The Jokeman
12-23-2013, 02:12 PM

OG Jon Asamoah (Chiefs)

FS Jarius Byrd (Bills)

I'm not sold on Quarless, he just has career backup who might excel at more playing time with new team but as many chances as he's had in Green Bay (as Finley's never been great) he's never really stepped up. See Larry Tripplett/Robert Royal vibe. Personally the TE I'm gravitating toward in UFA is Dennis Pitta. He might cost more but we've got the cap space and think he's worth it.

Jon Asamoah is a great guard but with the money invested in Eric Wood and Urbik am not sure we'd put one in an OG and instead might take someone as early as Round 2 of the draft and take David Yankey.

Veldheer would definitely be an improvement at RT but he might look to see if the Raiders give him more money or at least a chance to play LT which ultimately could lead to more money than he'd ever get at RT. I agree with your assessment of Hairston though. In terms of who we could get to replace Pears there aren't many in UFA that jump out at me and not sure anyone be a wise investment.

I was as big as a fan as anybody the year Michael Johnson came out in the draft as anybody yet with is just re-signing Alan Branch I don't see us working hard any many D-line UFAs unless re-sign Carrington.

Byrd might be my top priority in UFA as hate making holes on D when don't need to. As we still a starting OLB and maybe DE to making a good D a great one.

Other UFAs on my radar. WR Eric Decker, probably will command too much money to bringing here. WR James Jones, he's never been the guy in Green Bay and not saying he should be think he's a better option than anyone else we have on the roster to play on the outside. Giving him a big two or three year deal. Combined with a TE like Pitta and think our offense will finally have some serious talent in the passing game outside of Stevie Johnson.

The Jokeman
12-23-2013, 02:17 PM
The FA class of WRs must suck.

It's actually a decent list as think there's a handful of guys on it who'd help us out but it's a matter of us making an investment. I've bolded some guys I like:

Anquan Boldin 49ers
Devin Hester Bears
Santana Moss Redskins
Jacoby Jones Ravens
James Jones Packers
Jeremy Maclin Eagles
Emmanuel Sanders Steelers
Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts
Hakeem Nicks Giants
Jerome Simpson Vikings
Kenny Britt Titans
Mario Manningham 49ers
Jerricho Cotchery Steelers
Dexter McCluster Chiefs
Domenik Hixon Panthers
Ted Ginn Panthers
Plaxico Burress Steelers
Kevin Walter Titans
Brandon Tate Bengals
Brandon Stokley Ravens
Kassim Osgood 49ers
Andre Caldwell Broncos
Brandon LaFell Panthers
Damian Williams Titans
Golden Tate Seahawks
Josh Cribbs Jets
Eric Decker Broncos
Jacoby Ford Raiders
Louis Murphy Giants
Julian Edelman Patriots
Kevin Ogletree Lions
Austin Collie Patriots
Lavelle Hawkins Chargers
Michael Spurlock Cowboys
Robert Meachem Saints
Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers
Taylor Price Jaguars
Marlon Moore Dolphins
Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers
Tandon Doss Ravens
Riley Cooper Eagles
Kyle Williams Chiefs
Dezmon Briscoe Redskins

List courtesy of http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=WR&Year=2014

The King
12-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Garrett Graham is another name at TE I want to look at.

Darryl Smith (LB) is also a Free Agent he plays inside but he's had a very solid year.

Oh Richie Incognito is a FA too if you're looking for a G?

DraftBoy
12-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Darryl Smith (LB) is also a Free Agent he plays inside but he's had a very solid year.

I think Smith moved outside for Baltimore this year. I considered him as well.

No thanks on Incognito. Off the field crap aside, he's aging and has a tendency to take dumbass penalties.

The King
12-23-2013, 03:53 PM

No thanks on Incognito. Off the field crap aside, he's aging and has a tendency to take dumbass penalties.

Sarcasm on Incognito.

At TE I really want a guy who blocks mean but has reliable hands. I would sacrifice athleticism for blocking. Graham lacks the size to be Heath Miller, but he does block with a bit of a mean streak. But Heath Miller is the type of TE I think works perfectly in this offense.

Quarless is closer to Millers size but he's hardly a blocker, honestly think he'd need a sub in run packages and I don't like showing our hand in that regard.

Night Train
12-23-2013, 04:12 PM
I like 1 & 2.

Bills needs, FA & Draft are LG, TE (I think Chandler won't be re-signed) MLB and DT ( to shore up our run D )

We'll pick 2 CB's somewhere and a WR.

Sign a Vet QB and a workhorse RB, draft or FA, somewhere to back up Freddie. Spiller is situational and can play some WR, a wingback type.. but he can't take the pounding.

The Jokeman
12-23-2013, 05:09 PM

I'm not sure why we didn't pursue Smith last offseason, he's always been a good LB when healthy.

Garret Graham's an idea at TE but he never really stepped up as a starter when Daniels got hurt in Houston but it might be due to who was throwing him the ball. Again I favor Pitta above all others (unless the Saints somehow don't franchise tag Jimmy Graham).

DieHrdBillsFan23
12-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Hakeem Nicks....Nicks/Woods outside and Stevie in the slot starting 3 would be just what EJ needs to succeed

DraftBoy
12-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Hakeem Nicks....Nicks/Woods outside and Stevie in the slot starting 3 would be just what EJ needs to succeed

Nicks looks like a shell of himself this year. That's a risky signing for a guy who wants a long term deal.

X-Era
12-23-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm a big Decker fan. He definitely would be a solid possession type. He may be pricey.

DraftBoy
12-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm a big Decker fan. He definitely would be a solid possession type. He may be pricey.

I like Decker but I want that complete #1 WR with size, speed, and the ability to attack the ball. Decker offers plenty of size and some ability to attack the ball but he's a more athletic better blocking version of Nelson imo.

X-Era
12-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I like Decker but I want that complete #1 WR with size, speed, and the ability to attack the ball. Decker offers plenty of size and some ability to attack the ball but he's a more athletic better blocking version of Nelson imo.
That's a very good take. I agree.

Crisis
12-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd love to take a shot at Jeremy Maclin if his knee is alright.

DraftBoy
12-23-2013, 07:00 PM
I'd love to take a shot at Jeremy Maclin if his knee is alright.

Agreed 100%

Don't Panic
12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
To play to EJs weakness, we need WRs with a big catching radius. That could mean big and long, ability to get open, or just good hands. The last thing we need is a guy who has to have it right on target to be successful. Woods and Goodwin seem to be fits, Stevie possibly so. I think Decker would be great to throw in the mix.

Bill Cody
12-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Do they still have that weekend furlough program in Massachusetts? If so Aaron Hernandez might be available and he'd kill in our lineup

alohabillsfan
12-23-2013, 09:51 PM
What we need is a QB!!! Need to address that elephant. The best EJ will get the bills is 8-8 maybe 9-7 tops

YardRat
12-24-2013, 05:03 AM
I like Veldheer, and I'd take Oher. Would rather see Wade Smith at G, or Alex Mack at C and move Wood to guard. Or both :D

YardRat
12-24-2013, 05:07 AM
I want Branch and Carrington re-signed, and Dareus' option exercised.

YardRat
12-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Re: Byrd...after watching him very closely for most of the season, I really don't think he's the best option for this defense. To be an elite FS in a mostly cover 1 responsibility, a player needs excellent recognition skills and speed. A really good FS can compensate if he doesn't necessarily have one, but excels at the other. Byrd does not have both, and doesn't have enough of one to cover for other. He's not the best at reading and reacting, and doesn't have the speed to make up ground when he needs to. His skill set is more suitable for cover 2, IMO, and we won't be running much of that as long as Pettine is in town.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Cutler
Trade Byrd for a 1st
Mike Evans and 1 of the Top 2 TE's in the 1st with the Byrd pick.

Playoffs.

X-Era
12-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Looking at our UFA list we have only one player that will be a big cost. Byrd.

Carrington is probably the next most important but he won't get big money.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/buffalo-bills/

X-Era
12-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Re: Byrd...after watching him very closely for most of the season, I really don't think he's the best option for this defense. To be an elite FS in a mostly cover 1 responsibility, a player needs excellent recognition skills and speed. A really good FS can compensate if he doesn't necessarily have one, but excels at the other. Byrd does not have both, and doesn't have enough of one to cover for other. He's not the best at reading and reacting, and doesn't have the speed to make up ground when he needs to. His skill set is more suitable for cover 2, IMO, and we won't be running much of that as long as Pettine is in town.I'm fine either way on Byrd. Keep him or let him walk.

I think an active FS like Aaron Williams will do well in place of Byrd. Byrd won't be cheap. We have plenty of money but it would be a big investment.

I'm concerned that the Bills will go the frugal route and let Byrd walk and then move on from Stevie if he doesn't take a pay cut... He has a 8.5+ mill cap hit next year. That doesn't concern me. What concerns me is what then. The Bills are classic for not seriously spending. Which means you're watering down your talent.

Let Byrd walk? OK. Move on from Stevie? OK. But then make a serious move or two in FA and add vet backups. I'm fine with it if they do that.

If they want to add a solid G and RT from FA and then add a playmaking WR or two, a TE, and another S. Great. I'm good with that. Use the money to beef up the line? Fine. Just use the money.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Aaron Williams often plays SS. Searcy is more of a direct replacement of Byrd. I do suspect Aaron can play FS as well.

It really depends on Bills evaluation at where Aaron, Searcy, and the young ones stand in terms of ability as well as Byrd's demand. There is no question Byrd is the best still though Williams may catching up quickly. Remember Aaron Williams is going to be a UFA after next year and I don't know if they will put big money into both of them.

EDS
12-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Aaron Williams often plays SS. Searcy is more of a direct replacement of Byrd. I do suspect Aaron can play FS as well.

It really depends on Bills evaluation at where Aaron, Searcy, and the young ones stand in terms of ability as well as Byrd's demand. There is no question Byrd is the best still though Williams may catching up quickly. Remember Aaron Williams is going to be a UFA after next year and I don't know if they will put big money into both of them.

I don't think Searcy can hack it as a fulltime safety, particularly at FS. The Bills would lose a lot in coverage.

justasportsfan
12-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Cutler

wait, You call EJ injury prone and you want Cutler?

YardRat
12-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Just saw Branch signed an extension, that's good news.

Oh...wait...this team never re-signs anybody early, that's right. Must be a typo...

stuckincincy
12-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Disagree about a poor season. Sacks dropped from 11.5 to 3. Passes defended went up from 2 in '12 to 8 in '13 so far. He's staying more at home and sticking the paws up when called for. Total tackles were 52 last season, 51 after 16 games this season.

He's being deployed differently. Geathers went on IR preseason. Carlos Dunlap is getting a lot of time. DT Devon Still missed 4 games, Atkins is on IR. Burfict is covering all kinds of territory.

They aren't sending him nearly as much as the past few years. '13 2nd rounder Margus Hunt is getting a few snaps, Wallace Gilberry more so.

I don't think he will be available on the cheap.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Cutler is not coming here, if he's free that is. There are too many teams would want him with a better setup (i.e. no 1st QB drafted on the bench).

Beebe's Kid
12-24-2013, 02:15 PM
It is funny to see the majority of the opinions flip on Byrd...who would have thought? There is no way they are going to trade him for a 1st round pick, and I still don't think that is good value. Byrd is one of the best at his position, and is in his prime. I'd give him the money, and be happy that this team actually hit on a higher pick.

As for FA's DB's list looks good. Not only does it look good, but it looks obtainable. That would be in contrast to the the Cutler crowd. I don't see that happening, and am not sure that would be the wisest investment.

tampabay25690
12-24-2013, 02:17 PM
What about Riley Cooper??
Eagles can't pay him and Maclin and they have a bunch invested in D Jackson

YardRat
12-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Cutler blows...big-time pass on him.

The Jokeman
12-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Maclin's due to be an UFA but Cooper to me isn't a superior talent and not sure I want the media circle that follows him to come here.

better days
12-25-2013, 10:48 AM

Cooper is a bona fide racist. No thanks. Not a good addition to the locker room.

It will be interesting to see who offers Cooper a job, but I think any team that does is DESPERATE.

tampabay25690
12-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Cooper is a bona fide racist. No thanks. Not a good addition to the locker room.

It will be interesting to see who offers Cooper a job, but I think any team that does is DESPERATE.

Come on for real???
Mike Vick killed dogs and cooper said the N word!!!
He made a mistake and paid for it..

- - - Updated - - -

Maclin's due to be an UFA but Cooper to me isn't a superior talent and not sure I want the media circle that follows him to come here.

I think the media circus is done??
Haven't heard a word about the incident for months

DraftBoy
12-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Disagree about a poor season. Sacks dropped from 11.5 to 3. Passes defended went up from 2 in '12 to 8 in '13 so far. He's staying more at home and sticking the paws up when called for. Total tackles were 52 last season, 51 after 16 games this season.

He's being deployed differently. Geathers went on IR preseason. Carlos Dunlap is getting a lot of time. DT Devon Still missed 4 games, Atkins is on IR. Burfict is covering all kinds of territory.

They aren't sending him nearly as much as the past few years. '13 2nd rounder Margus Hunt is getting a few snaps, Wallace Gilberry more so.

I don't think he will be available on the cheap.

Admittedly I haven't seen him much but both Mortensen and Schefter has said recently that he will go for far less than his tag number on a long term deal. That's on the cheap compared to last year.

stuckincincy
12-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Admittedly I haven't seen him much but both Mortensen and Schefter has said recently that he will go for far less than his tag number on a long term deal. That's on the cheap compared to last year.

If they're right, that's great news for CIN. His relationship with them is tops.

ServoBillieves
12-26-2013, 07:32 AM

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000n9HoqvyYKHo/s/750/750/Richie-Incognito-7038.jpg

better days
12-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Come on for real???
Mike Vick killed dogs and cooper said the N word!!!
He made a mistake and paid for it..

- - - Updated - - -

I think the media circus is done??
Haven't heard a word about the incident for months

I wouldn't want Vick either. Both Cooper & Vick have too much baggage attached to them IMO.

How ironic they are both on the same team........for now.

And I would be more concerned about the locker room than the media circus with Cooper myself.

tampabay25690
12-26-2013, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't want Vick either. Both Cooper & Vick have too much baggage attached to them IMO.

How ironic they are both on the same team........for now.

And I would be more concerned about the locker room than the media circus with Cooper myself.

You really dont see much media circus in the Buffalo area anyway.....
I dont see him as a guy that will make the mistake again.
I followed his whole career since being a FL GATOR and never seen him as a troubled guy.
He wont come with a huge price tag and would be a good solid WR....

Hey it probably wont happen but hey the guy has produced this year..

The Jokeman
12-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I followed his whole career since being a FL GATOR and never seen him as a troubled guy.

The expectation of Cooper signing here is he has to be nothing less then spectacular which I don't think he could live up to. As let's face it prior to this season he was a career backup and only got a break this year because of some injuries and it's debatable that he's playing second fiddle to DeSean Jackson this season. Buffalo like Philly is a blue collar town and you know if he signs it will be a story and if he doesn't produce questions will be asked and then it could fester. Toss in we're a one newspaper town and most fans opinions are skewed because of it. I've mentioned before that I like the idea of signing someone like James Jones. Why? Well first off he lead the NFL in TDs a few years which is something a lot fans can gravitate toward as that this guy is an above average player. He's also never really been the focal guy in Green Bay which is what we need is a guy who can take away some of the coverage that Stevie see's in order to give us a better offense. Toss he's been a consistent producer in Green Bay never great numbers but definitely to me he's a reliable and don't think he'll command a big salary. Very similar to what Robert Meachem was doing in New Orleans and we made a push for him a few years ago. Yet Jones is older and this will likely be his last shot at a big money contract and think it makes sense for the Bills to go after him. That said to me he's 3rd on my priority guys to bring in free agency if I'm playing mock GM. The biggest is of course is to re-sign Byrd, then would be to bring in Dennis Pitta. As to me Pitta gives the Bills a TE that can split a defense but also has reliable hands to be a move the chains type TE that we haven't had since the days of Jay Riemersma. Give me an off season of re-signing Byrd, adding Pitta and Jones and draft LB CJ Mosely, OG David Yankey and OT JuWaun James in the first three rounds and 2014 could be a very good season for the Bills.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Mack made the Pro Bowl, I might think about making him priority #1 this off-season.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Mack made the Pro Bowl, I might think about making him priority #1 this off-season.

The Bills gave Eric Wood a new deal last year, I can't see us chasing after another C. Not to mention the Browns wouldn't be foolish enough to let him go.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 10:49 AM
The Bills gave Eric Wood a new deal last year, I can't see us chasing after another C. Not to mention the Browns wouldn't be foolish enough to let him go.

Granted, but this is a 'wish list' thread.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Granted, but this is a 'wish list' thread.
True that but I try to be more realistic with my wishes but even they never seem to come true either.

better days
12-29-2013, 01:24 PM

I loved Cooper as a Gator myself & think is talented & would be a good addition on the field BUT I think he sabotaged his career.

What Cooper said will be out there forever. He will never live that down & I think some people/players will never forgive him for what he said.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 01:28 PM
True that but I try to be more realistic with my wishes but even they never seem to come true either.

Well, to be fair, I listed him before his PB selection :)

X-Era
12-29-2013, 01:52 PM
A few more thoughts:

Go get Brian Orakpo and fix one of the biggest mistakes in Bills draft history... Taking Maybin over Orakpo
Get DRC as a guy to either be the #3 CB or to supplant McKelvin
Yes on Maclin, or Emmanuel Sanders
Yes on Jon Asamoah, but if not how about Matt Slauson
How about Zack Strief for RT
How about Arthur Jones