• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Early 2014 FA Wish List

With it being Christmas this week, I took a quick look at the 2014 Free Agents to see who I would like to see the Bills target. Here is my wish list;

TE Andrew Quarless (Packers)
    The Packers will likely let Jermicheal Finley walk and may push to resign Quarless but they don't overpay players and he's shown a lot recently with Flynn at QB. I'd make a strong run at him and take the risk on a bigger money contract then his stats would indicate.

OG Jon Asamoah (Chiefs)
    The Chiefs will hopefully be too focused on what to do with Albert to pay much attention to Asamoah. A phenomenal pass blocker who has the athleticism to replace Levitre. He should come far cheaper and is younger than Levitre. He may be priority #1 if he hits the market.

OT Jared Veldheer (Raiders)
    Had a down year with some injury issues but has been back for two games and has been solid. He's a LT in Oakland who I'd make a RT here. He's big, powerful, and can pass block. He's an ideal replacement for Pears and allow us to use Hairston as the swing tackle he's best suited to be.

DE Micheal Johnson (Bengals)
    Had a really poor year after getting the Franchise Tag so I'll look for a bargain on him. That's not to say he'll come cheap but he's going to get less than he would of on a long term deal next year and Cincy will want to bring him back. His versatility to play anywhere on our front would be an ideal addition. You can never have enough pass rushers.

FS Jarius Byrd (Bills)
    Pay the man, nothing else needs to be said here.

With those additions and some growth for EJ you're looking at a playoff contender in 2014, imo.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Early 2014 FA Wish List

Is Peyton Manning available? I want him.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

QB Jay Cutler - if the Bears don't resign him and signing Byrd long term.

The rest of the stuff they do is all window dressing for a team that would compete for a playoff spot with those 2 signings.

Comment

• Raptor
        • Jan 2009

As long as they sign Byrd long term I could care less what they do in FA'cy. I'm not a big FA'cy guy anyway. What they did last year is what I like, find a gem at a good price like Lawson and then build in the draft

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          With it being Christmas this week, I took a quick look at the 2014 Free Agents to see who I would like to see the Bills target. Here is my wish list;

The Packers will likely let Jermicheal Finley walk and may push to resign Quarless but they don't overpay players and he's shown a lot recently with Flynn at QB. I'd make a strong run at him and take the risk on a bigger money contract then his stats would indicate.

OG Jon Asamoah (Chiefs)
          The Chiefs will hopefully be too focused on what to do with Albert to pay much attention to Asamoah. A phenomenal pass blocker who has the athleticism to replace Levitre. He should come far cheaper and is younger than Levitre. He may be priority #1 if he hits the market.

Had a down year with some injury issues but has been back for two games and has been solid. He's a LT in Oakland who I'd make a RT here. He's big, powerful, and can pass block. He's an ideal replacement for Pears and allow us to use Hairston as the swing tackle he's best suited to be.

Had a really poor year after getting the Franchise Tag so I'll look for a bargain on him. That's not to say he'll come cheap but he's going to get less than he would of on a long term deal next year and Cincy will want to bring him back. His versatility to play anywhere on our front would be an ideal addition. You can never have enough pass rushers.

FS Jarius Byrd (Bills)

With those additions and some growth for EJ you're looking at a playoff contender in 2014, imo.
          I really like all of that.

Love the Johnson pick.

Definitely pay Byrd.

A few others I like:

OG Kevin Boothe (Cornell alumn)
          OT Michael Oher- Not cheap but an upgrade to Pears for sure.
          OT Zach Strief- Has great numbers at RT this year according to PFF
          OG Danny Watkins- As a primary backup

Comment

• sukie
            Seriously?
            • Sep 2012

The FA class of WRs must suck.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
              As long as they sign Byrd long term I could care less what they do in FA'cy. I'm not a big FA'cy guy anyway. What they did last year is what I like, find a gem at a good price like Lawson and then build in the draft
              Lawson & Branch. I said when they were signed, they would help the Bills win games.

Which they did.............just not enough of them.

A LG, RT & LB & this team is in business.

And don't forget the Bills did sign a TE already in Tony Moeaki. 26 years old 3 years experience. I think he could be the TE the Bills need.

Comment

• JCBills
                • Jan 2010

I have seen that Veldheer and Oakland are talking an extension.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

I think we might see the bills go after a guard and a boundary corner in this year FA.

Maybe a DL if they lose carrington and another LB since we are losing Moats probably.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

OG Jon Asamoah (Chiefs)

FS Jarius Byrd (Bills)

I'm not sold on Quarless, he just has career backup who might excel at more playing time with new team but as many chances as he's had in Green Bay (as Finley's never been great) he's never really stepped up. See Larry Tripplett/Robert Royal vibe. Personally the TE I'm gravitating toward in UFA is Dennis Pitta. He might cost more but we've got the cap space and think he's worth it.

Jon Asamoah is a great guard but with the money invested in Eric Wood and Urbik am not sure we'd put one in an OG and instead might take someone as early as Round 2 of the draft and take David Yankey.

Veldheer would definitely be an improvement at RT but he might look to see if the Raiders give him more money or at least a chance to play LT which ultimately could lead to more money than he'd ever get at RT. I agree with your assessment of Hairston though. In terms of who we could get to replace Pears there aren't many in UFA that jump out at me and not sure anyone be a wise investment.

I was as big as a fan as anybody the year Michael Johnson came out in the draft as anybody yet with is just re-signing Alan Branch I don't see us working hard any many D-line UFAs unless re-sign Carrington.

Byrd might be my top priority in UFA as hate making holes on D when don't need to. As we still a starting OLB and maybe DE to making a good D a great one.

Other UFAs on my radar. WR Eric Decker, probably will command too much money to bringing here. WR James Jones, he's never been the guy in Green Bay and not saying he should be think he's a better option than anyone else we have on the roster to play on the outside. Giving him a big two or three year deal. Combined with a TE like Pitta and think our offense will finally have some serious talent in the passing game outside of Stevie Johnson.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                      The FA class of WRs must suck.
                      It's actually a decent list as think there's a handful of guys on it who'd help us out but it's a matter of us making an investment. I've bolded some guys I like:

Anquan Boldin 49ers
                      Devin Hester Bears
                      Santana Moss Redskins
                      Jacoby Jones Ravens
                      James Jones Packers
                      Jeremy Maclin Eagles
                      Emmanuel Sanders Steelers
                      Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts
                      Hakeem Nicks Giants
                      Jerome Simpson Vikings
                      Kenny Britt Titans
                      Mario Manningham 49ers
                      Jerricho Cotchery Steelers
                      Dexter McCluster Chiefs
                      Domenik Hixon Panthers
                      Ted Ginn Panthers
                      Plaxico Burress Steelers
                      Kevin Walter Titans
                      Brandon Tate Bengals
                      Brandon Stokley Ravens
                      Kassim Osgood 49ers
                      Andre Caldwell Broncos
                      Brandon LaFell Panthers
                      Damian Williams Titans
                      Golden Tate Seahawks
                      Josh Cribbs Jets
                      Eric Decker Broncos
                      Jacoby Ford Raiders
                      Louis Murphy Giants
                      Julian Edelman Patriots
                      Kevin Ogletree Lions
                      Austin Collie Patriots
                      Lavelle Hawkins Chargers
                      Michael Spurlock Cowboys
                      Robert Meachem Saints
                      Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers
                      Taylor Price Jaguars
                      Marlon Moore Dolphins
                      Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers
                      Tandon Doss Ravens
                      Riley Cooper Eagles
                      Kyle Williams Chiefs
                      Dezmon Briscoe Redskins

List courtesy of http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php...n=WR&Year=2014

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

Garrett Graham is another name at TE I want to look at.

Darryl Smith (LB) is also a Free Agent he plays inside but he's had a very solid year.

Oh Richie Incognito is a FA too if you're looking for a G?
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          Garrett Graham is another name at TE I want to look at.

Darryl Smith (LB) is also a Free Agent he plays inside but he's had a very solid year.

Oh Richie Incognito is a FA too if you're looking for a G?
                          I think Smith moved outside for Baltimore this year. I considered him as well.

No thanks on Incognito. Off the field crap aside, he's aging and has a tendency to take dumbass penalties.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The King
                            Without me it's just Awe so
                            • Jun 2004

I think Smith moved outside for Baltimore this year. I considered him as well.

No thanks on Incognito. Off the field crap aside, he's aging and has a tendency to take dumbass penalties.
                            Sarcasm on Incognito.

At TE I really want a guy who blocks mean but has reliable hands. I would sacrifice athleticism for blocking. Graham lacks the size to be Heath Miller, but he does block with a bit of a mean streak. But Heath Miller is the type of TE I think works perfectly in this offense.

Quarless is closer to Millers size but he's hardly a blocker, honestly think he'd need a sub in run packages and I don't like showing our hand in that regard.
                            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                            It was all
                            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

I like 1 & 2.

Bills needs, FA & Draft are LG, TE (I think Chandler won't be re-signed) MLB and DT ( to shore up our run D )

We'll pick 2 CB's somewhere and a WR.

Sign a Vet QB and a workhorse RB, draft or FA, somewhere to back up Freddie. Spiller is situational and can play some WR, a wingback type.. but he can't take the pounding.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X