PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hughes

JCBills
12-24-2013, 02:42 AM
Hughes has had a pretty good season. It was better than anyone expected now, but it was what was expected of him coming out of college. He was a pass-rushing terror at TCU with decent overall skills, and his strong combine showing helped solidify his 1st round grade.

Many 1st rounders get labeled as busts too early, and a good amount of them end up earning the tag, but Hughes looks like another example of properly developing a player. A lot of fans tend to get caught up in the hype around the draft and expect immediate impact. Modern sports media loves to prop up rookies that explode onto the scene (depending on position and team), contributing to the expectation for immediate success.

People seem to forget that a good amount of players needed to develop, regardless of draft position, before turning into impact players. Some of the best at each position, historically and currently, took a few years before becoming what we know them to be.

Hughes sat behind Freeney and Mathis, learning from two of the best sack masters in the modern era.

Buffalo pulled the trigger swapping Shep for Hughes, which looks like an obvious win for the Bills. Seriously, I'm trying to think of a better trade for Buffalo in recent years.

Now Hughes is playing in a scheme that utilizes his strengths, has a solid down lineman group, and has probably picked up a trick or two from Mario. His production this year hit his contract escalators, and he deserves that increase in pay.

I say they should look to extend Hughes next season. He is still only 25 and could continue to improve.

These are the types of players the team needs to retain, and I think Buffalo might just do that considering they thought enough of his ability to trade for him. With one game to go, Hughes could cap off the season with a statement game against our biggest rival. Either way, I think every Bills fan is happy Hughes is a Bill.

YardRat
12-24-2013, 05:09 AM
I agree 100%

better days
12-24-2013, 06:34 AM
The Bills defense finally look like they have grasped Pettine's defense & look like they know what they are doing.

I can't wait to watch them play Sunday, but expect the Pats* to get away with a LOT of holding that won't be called by the officials.

X-Era
12-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Glad he's signed through next year.

The King
12-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Pretty good? I'd say he's had an awesome season.

TigerJ
12-24-2013, 08:08 AM
I just saw a brand new mock draft this morning that has the Bills picking Khalil Mack. http://fanspeak.com/nfl-draft/mock-drafts/howard-ticker/ The commentary was "The Bills really need to improve their pass rush and this would be a huge pick up for them." I can't imagine what this guy is smoking. Or maybe he's looking at last year's stats.

Bunion
12-24-2013, 08:24 AM
That's the dumbest ****ing thing anybody's written about the 2013 Buffalo Bills.

But seriously, Jerry Hughes vs. Mark Anderson...it's one of those things that gives me hope for the new regime finally making this work.

justasportsfan
12-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Lock him and Lawson up.

bleve
12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
That was a great trade. Solid work by OBD on that one.

OpIv37
12-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Even if Hughes never makes another good play in a Buffalo uniform, that trade was a win. We got far more out of him than we ever would have out of Sheppard already.

JCBills
12-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Even if Hughes never makes another good play in a Buffalo uniform, that trade was a win. We got far more out of him than we ever would have out of Sheppard already.

True, and the good thing is he has another year. Because they obviously wanted him and he has turned into a stud, I think they work to extend him. We just saw them retain another guy they went after in Alan Branch, this new FO seems like they know what they are doing when it comes to acquiring talent. Give the young team time to grow together, and we could be looking at a contender.

Crisis
12-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Sheppard has been just as useless in Indy as he was here, too.

Maybe they'll make out with Duh'Rick to compensate.

JCBills
12-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Good article on his emergence:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/e36b0b52a234459d8f45873edb619e8d/FBN--Bills-Hughes

"I feel tremendous," Hughes said Tuesday. "To be able to get that opportunity here, I felt great. I feel a lot more relaxed and confident in myself."

After getting off to a slow start while he adjusted to defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's complex and aggressive approach, Hughes is closing with a flourish. He has eight sacks in his past eight games, including one of Buffalo's season-best seven sacks during a 19-0 win over Miami last weekend.

Hughes is thriving in a situational role that has him on the field for about half of the defensive snaps.
He credits part of his success to playing on a line that presents formidable pass-rushing threats in defensive end Mario Williams and tackles Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus.
The opposing offensive line can't stop all of them. And the pass-rush threat doesn't end there, with the Bills occasionally blitzing off the edges with a safety or cornerback.

Add in Mario Williams' 13 sacks and the 10½ for Kyle Williams, and it marks only the second time Buffalo has had three players with at least 10 sacks. And the Bills are the first NFL team with three since the 2000 Saints.

"I felt like we've played our best ball as the season has worn down," Hughes said. "I think that speaks volumes for the amount of talent that we have on our side of the ball. I know for me, my confidence is high. And I'm pretty sure for the guys with me."

He has made an impression on Bills coach Doug Marrone (http://www.therepublic.com/search/person/f65d7833f6131d4883776ac4a89e105f).
"Sometimes it's just change, sometimes it's schematic, sometimes it's a cultural change, sometimes it's just a change of scenery, but Jerry's production has been outstanding," Marrone said. "I think Jerry is excited about the job that he's done. We as an organization are excited that he's here."

--

So Hughes seems very happy to be here and I think the fans let him know he is wanted. The FO wanted him and the staff seems like they really like him, and with good reason.

Crisis
12-24-2013, 08:35 PM
It kind of bugs me how much talent this defense has as a whole but still isn't elite. There's tons of talent on the defense but they give up huge rushing yards sometimes. What's stopping them from taking that next step? Carrington healthy and another LB?

JCBills
12-24-2013, 08:44 PM
It kind of bugs me how much talent this defense has as a whole but still isn't elite. There's tons of talent on the defense but they give up huge rushing yards sometimes. What's stopping them from taking that next step? Carrington healthy and another LB?

Time to grow together, a thumper type ILB next to Kiko, and Carrington wouldn't hurt. If they bring him back and he plays like he was pre-injury they could have the deepest DL in the league. Also, Byrd has a lot of value against the run, they should really try to bring him back. He's easily a top 3 young safety in the league.

This team has gone through quite a few DCs over the past few seasons. Now they have a legit one with young talent to boot. Pay your best players and don't subtract from what you have built should be their approach if they want to work towards being a playoff team.

ParanoidAndroid
12-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Pettine is going to get a HC offer soon.

MikeInRoch
12-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Yes. Just hope it's not this off-season.

Meathead
12-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Maybe they'll make out with Duh'Rick to compensate.

eww

coastal
12-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Must kill... the queen...

http://queenofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/spl297005_001.jpg

Ingtar33
12-25-2013, 01:53 PM

they're 2 LBers away from a monstrous front 7... they need a serious run stopper in the middle. and a good every down OLB; it wouldn't hurt for one of their CBs to turn Elite as well... right now all our CBs are average/above average... not a single shut down corner amoung the lot of them. Toss a true 2 gap 3-4 NT into the defensive line, and you have one of the best defenses in the league.

The Beef
12-25-2013, 04:05 PM
they're 2 LBers away from a monstrous front 7... they need a serious run stopper in the middle. and a good every down OLB; it wouldn't hurt for one of their CBs to turn Elite as well... right now all our CBs are average/above average... not a single shut down corner amoung the lot of them. Toss a true 2 gap 3-4 NT into the defensive line, and you have one of the best defenses in the league.

I don't think it's a realistic to even look for 2 more top tier LB's for the simple fact that it's a passing league. The team needs one more very down backer similar to Kiko who is a thumper and not a liability in coverage. Basically the perfect LB. The team is on record stating that Kiko is really at MLB by necessity. Pettine loves versatility so I don't think the team would pigeon home itself getting a guy for the sake of filling a spot. However I do think they will prefer a guy similar to Kiko in skill set, but with a bigger frame. A guy that can really hold it down in the middle would really open things up for Kiko in terms of how he could be used to attack an offense.

I doubt you see any investment at CB this offseason. McKelvin went from a C- cover guy to a B+. He made a huge leap this year. Going into year 3 and expecting a clean bill if health the team will count on Gilmore to become that lockdown guy.

Again at DT you'll be hard pressed to find this team looking hard at improving the spot. I'd love a big NT but I think as you stated a true run stuffer at LB is the priority. If Carrington is resigned you'll be hard pressed to find any more snaps to share after Dareus, Williams, Branch, Carrington, Mario, and Hughes.

If Byrd isn't brought back that's a huge setback. There is no reason to create a hole on defense.

It'll be interesting to see where they go if Byrd is brought back. The OL might see 2 or 3 new pieces. The FO should look at TE to throw in the competition with Moeaki. I'm sure they'd love an every down backer to place next to Kiko.

The elephant in the room is at QB. I don't see how they could pass in a guy like Aaron Murray if he is there in round 2 or 3.

colin
12-26-2013, 10:19 AM
if we keep byrd, we are one solid LB (draft or FA) away from being a top 3 D (maybe not in yards, but most def in terms of how good they are on the pitch). i agree with ingtar that a run plugger would be nice, but we aren't easy to run on, we just have made bad mistakes on some big runs. i'm super confident i our D and our run game, we need a qb.

i'm driving the sign vick truck all day, get onbaord!

alohabillsfan
12-26-2013, 04:45 PM
NONE of the defensive changes will matter if we don't have an above average play at QB. We need that fixed first and foremost!
Followed by a
6'3+ WR,
Guard
TE
Tackle
CB/Safety

jimbohastle51
12-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Fine player but he is a system guy. He will always produce in his role in this defensive system with the amount of talent on the bills defensive line. Put him on an average defense that doesn't have the talent the bills have and he is a 4 sack guy. Nothing wrong with being very good in your role on your team and that is what he is.

kishoph
12-28-2013, 07:23 AM
I just saw a brand new mock draft this morning that has the Bills picking Khalil Mack. http://fanspeak.com/nfl-draft/mock-drafts/howard-ticker/ The commentary was "The Bills really need to improve their pass rush and this would be a huge pick up for them." I can't imagine what this guy is smoking. Or maybe he's looking at last year's stats.

That's not unusual at all from the national media, those guys don't follow the Bills and half the time they're going on the teams reputation or piggy backing on what some other slug writes. As far as the pass rush needing to be improved, being the number 1 team in sacks really isn't that bad, unless they have a number 1+.
I would love getting Mack, because I think he's gonna be a stud in the NFL, but I think we need a thumper in the middle to help with the run defense and I'm not sure Mack fits that bill. Mosley from Alabama is probably the top prospect as a MLB, but I think he could use to add some size. Maybe they can find one in FA.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-28-2013, 12:16 PM
i'm driving the sign vick truck all day, get onbaord!

The Vick truck went straight into a pole when Nick Foles came in and outperformed him by a mile.

I honestly don't see the fascination with Vick any more. What is this, 2006? The guy will be 34 next year, has only completed one season ever, and only had one year where he looked like a competent passer - only to regress. Vick might very well be the most physically talented guy ever to play QB in this league, but he has never put it together and never will.

The Jokeman
12-28-2013, 12:35 PM
NONE of the defensive changes will matter if we don't have an above average play at QB. We need that fixed first and foremost!
Followed by a
6'3+ WR,
Guard
TE
Tackle
CB/Safety

At WR, I just think we need a that can play on the outside and will command some coverage to come off of Stevie Johnson. UFA James Jones is a guy I'd target this offseason.
LG needs to be address but I can't see putting the free agent money there so instead I draft someone like David Yankey in the 2nd Round of the draft.
TE needs a reliable target that can also be a threat. To me the guy that best fit these needs is an UFA named Dennis Pitta
The UFA landscape of Tackle is pretty weak so I look to draft a guy, one guy on my short list is JuWaun James out of the University of Tennessee and should be there in Round 3.
A CB/Safety could be needed. I don't have any names as haven't really studied but one name that needs to be kept is Jarius Byrd and I move this above all other needs this offseason.

One need you didn't mention is LB. Ironic I'm posting this in a Hughes thread as Jerry's been great in what he's done here but to me he's a role player as he's a great nickel pass rusher/situational LB. We still need a guy that can start at WLB on help stop the run to pair with Alonso in combing UFA and the draft to me a guy who could fit this role and be available where the Bills will pick is CJ Mosely, while it's debatable if he's worth pick 10 I'd take the chance on him assuming Kalil Mack is already off the board.

The Jokeman
12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
The Vick truck went straight into a pole when Nick Foles came in and outperformed him by a mile.

I honestly don't see the fascination with Vick any more. What is this, 2006? The guy will be 34 next year, has only completed one season ever, and only had one year where he looked like a competent passer - only to regress. Vick might very well be the most physically talented guy ever to play QB in this league, but he has never put it together and never will.

Which makes him an ideal backup QB. As he can start a stretch for you and help you win some games. I'd consider signing him if I were the Bills but I've gotta say that Thad Lewis has shown this year that he should at least be penciled in as our #2 next year and might be more cost effective and also not take away the spotlight from EJ which ideally what this teams wants/needs.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Which makes him an ideal backup QB. As he can start a stretch for you and help you win some games. I'd consider signing him if I were the Bills but I've gotta say that Thad Lewis has shown this year that he should at least be penciled in as our #2 next year and might be more cost effective and also not take away the spotlight from EJ which ideally what this teams wants/needs.

He is nowhere near the ideal backup QB IMO. He is way too inconsistent and accounts for far too many negative plays. He's one of the most sack, interception, and fumble prone players of all time. To put it in perspective, he's the active leader in fumbles despite appearing in 128 games. I'd be willing to tolerate that if we were taking him on potential, but he's way too old to develop and probably way too expensive. I'm not a big believer in the whole "avoid distractions" business, but it can't be ignored that Vick is one of the more reviled players in the league on top of that.