PDA

View Full Version : Bills lead the total team sacks by 5 sacks

Skooby
12-24-2013, 03:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

stuckincincy
12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Fat lot it got them. They are still on the outs and polishing the statistical knob doesn't get them in.

Skooby
12-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Fat lot it got them. They are still on the outs and polishing the statistical knob doesn't get them in.

Admittedly so but if we can get a few more real solid guys on defense, we could be a real force on that side of the ball.

better days
12-24-2013, 04:04 PM
The Bills defense looked GREAT against the mediocre Fins OL.

If they can do something similar to the Pats* OL that will not be called for holding, it will be impressive.

Meathead
12-24-2013, 04:50 PM
woo friggen hoo

DynaPaul
12-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Well, I'm happy about it because it shows that Pettine is effective and our defense is pretty well set for next year. We just need to fix the offense now.

Thief
12-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Great. 16 more in the final game will break the NFL sack record for a team in 1 season!

Of course 16 sacks in one game would break the game record too so I doubt it.

trapezeus
12-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Great. 16 more in the final game will break the NFL sack record for a team in 1 season!

Of course 16 sacks in one game would break the game record too so I doubt it.

and vs the patriots at their home, no way refs would let it stand. there would be hankies on every other hit of brady for 15 yards. and the bills would curtail their pressure accordingly. we've seen that exact scenario happen last year when the bills were up by like 17. all of a sudden brady getting touched was an automatic 15 yrd penalty.

stuckincincy
12-26-2013, 03:15 PM
and vs the patriots at their home, no way refs would let it stand. there would be hankies on every other hit of brady for 15 yards. and the bills would curtail their pressure accordingly. we've seen that exact scenario happen last year when the bills were up by like 17. all of a sudden brady getting touched was an automatic 15 yrd penalty.

True. But through the years, Brady has taken hits. Far more than St. Peyton. Hit his holiness The Forehead, and you are in deep, deep trouble... :btm:

trapezeus
12-26-2013, 03:16 PM
peyton has taken his punishment over the years. hello neck surgery.

stuckincincy
12-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Played 16 games per season for 13 years. Missed a season. Came back, played 16 games in '012, 15 games so far this year. That's 15 seasons now.

I guess he's just been very lucky over 15 years... :;:

Owen DeBoard
12-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Played 16 games per season for 13 years. Missed a season. Came back, played 16 games in '012, 15 games so far this year. That's 15 seasons now.

I guess he's just been very lucky over 15 years... :;:
Or how about very smart. There is no player in the nfl that studies game film like this guy. He is one of the best ever. I also recall a guy by the name of Brett Farve that played a lot of games too and I do believe he took his fair share of hits too.

BillsFever21
12-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Sacks are nice but unless they can limit the big plays and sustaining drives outside of the sacks then it doesn't matter that much.

Historian
12-27-2013, 03:53 AM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s403x403/1544947_794274157255716_1658656176_n.jpg

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Sacks are nice but unless they can limit the big plays and sustaining drives outside of the sacks then it doesn't matter that much.Hmmm. 8th in total yardage given up. Yup, meaningless.

better days
12-27-2013, 06:27 AM

Seriously. Manning had his neck broken. Brady cries if he gets a hang nail.

Famous Amos
12-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Or how about very smart. There is no player in the nfl that studies game film like this guy. He is one of the best ever. I also recall a guy by the name of Brett Farve that played a lot of games too and I do believe he took his fair share of hits too.

Favre also took more than his fair share of hits of pain killers, too. Peyton manning knows how to get rid of the ball fast.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 06:44 AM
HaHa. There are many Ex-NFL players that couldn't function without pain medication. The game takes it's toll.

I get all the Peyton love, but if the rules weren't what they have become, today's QB's would never have the stats or the records they now hold.

Famous Amos
12-27-2013, 06:52 AM
HaHa. There are many Ex-NFL players that couldn't function without pain medication. The game takes it's toll.

I get all the Peyton love, but if the rules weren't what they have become, today's QB's would never have the stats or the records they now hold.

agreed, Moonie. I get a weird sense of this season for Manning being manufactured by the NFL. Seems too good to be true.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 06:57 AM
agreed, Moonie. I get a weird sense of this season for Manning being manufactured by the NFL. Seems too good to be true.I watch quite a few Broncos games. If the refs didn't allow his O-Line to hold every play, Manning probably would be on IR. The same goes for all the other "superstar" QB's.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 07:08 AM
BTW Amos, nice to see you here.

Historian
12-27-2013, 08:08 AM
I watch quite a few Broncos games. If the refs didn't allow his O-Line to hold every play, Manning probably would be on IR. The same goes for all the other "superstar" QB's.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

The NFL and it's ad partners wouldn't want to see Manning hawking crappy pizzas from a wheelchair, right?

It's not about a game anymore, it's about selling everything from beer nuts to shower curtains.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah, or old coaches hawking "Extenze" to the geriatric crowd..........Oh wait.

FinNasty23
12-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Imagine what your sack totals would be if you got to play all 16 games against the Fins, lol...

FinNasty23
12-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

The NFL and it's ad partners wouldn't want to see Manning hawking crappy pizzas from a wheelchair, right?

It's not about a game anymore, it's about selling everything from beer nuts to shower curtains.
Listen, I think some the QB protections have gone too far like everyone else. But who want to watch games where all of the superstar QBs are on IR? At the end of the day, football is a form form of entertainment. And watching garbage QBs and low scoring games (not due to good defense, but poor QB play) isn't entertaining.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Listen, I think some the QB protections have gone too far like everyone else. But who want to watch games where all of the superstar QBs are on IR? At the end of the day, football is a form form of entertainment. And watching garbage QBs and low scoring games (not due to good defense, but poor QB play) isn't entertaining.Which is exactly why the NFL changed the rules and lets Offensive lineman hold to their hearts content. Combine that with the fact that many games are called with an eye to maximum entertainment. Did you ever notice that if a team goes up by 20 points, the other team is usually aided by a bunch of favorable calls to let the other team keep it close or catch up?

The modern NFL fan wants to see lots of TDs and points or they think it's "boring". A 13-10 defensive battle just doesn't cut it anymore.

Too bad they had to make it a game with little resemblance to it's predecessor.

FinNasty23
12-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Which is exactly why the NFL changed the rules and lets Offensive lineman hold to their hearts content. Combine that with the fact that many games are called with an eye to maximum entertainment. Did you ever notice that if a team goes up by 20 points, the other team is usually aided by a bunch of favorable calls to let the other team keep it close or catch up?

The modern NFL fan wants to see lots of TDs and points or they think it's "boring". A 13-10 defensive battle just doesn't cut it anymore.

I don't fully agree. I think the NFL fan loves a big hitting defensive battle as well... but a bunch of the predecessors you're raving about ruined that by trying to money grab in a lawsuit.

Bill Cody
12-27-2013, 10:45 AM
The game used to be WAY better

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't fully agree. I think the NFL fan loves a big hitting defensive battle as well... but a bunch of the predecessors you're raving about ruined that by trying to money grab in a lawsuit.You're overstating. You mean the players that made the game what it is today allowing future classes of players and the owners to become multi-millionaires?

FinNasty23
12-27-2013, 11:59 AM
You're overstating. You mean the players that made the game what it is today allowing future classes of players and the owners to become multi-millionaires?
Times change as well as the economy. Thats not the fault of the current players. Doesn't excuse the past players for ruining today's game...

Bill Cody
12-27-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't fully agree. I think the NFL fan loves a big hitting defensive battle as well... but a bunch of the predecessors you're raving about ruined that by trying to money grab in a lawsuit.

no the NFL hid the evidence from the players of the risks of concussions. They were the equivalent of the tobacco companies. Now if there was a 2nd suit I'd agree. Fact is 99% of the old school players would have played even if the risks were disclosed so hiding the facts wasn't necessary. The NFL deserved to get whacked and quite frankly they got off easy.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Times change as well as the economy. Thats not the fault of the current players. Doesn't excuse the past players for ruining today's game...They didn't. The league office, the competition committee and bozo fans ruined it.

better days
12-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Which is exactly why the NFL changed the rules and lets Offensive lineman hold to their hearts content. Combine that with the fact that many games are called with an eye to maximum entertainment. Did you ever notice that if a team goes up by 20 points, the other team is usually aided by a bunch of favorable calls to let the other team keep it close or catch up?

The problem is Refs allow a team like the Pats* to hold to their hearts content & throw the flag when the holding is dubious on the teams the Pats* are playing.

Holding should just be eliminated as a penalty because as it is, refs can change a game by calling it against one team & not calling it on another.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Carolina has 7 so far today, puts them at 58, two ahead of Buffalo.

Test Man
12-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Carolina now has 60. Not that it means anything but Brady has to hit the dirt 5 times for the Bills to take the lead. Never happen, every time the Bills sack Brady it will be a personal foul.

Fletch
12-29-2013, 02:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

Interesting that you bring this up. They'll likely finish the season having led the league in sacks. For years everyone has been clammoring that we need more sacks and players that get them. But as the first comment says, what did it get us, ... 6-10.

There's more to football and even defense than just sacks.

In our Super Bowl seasons we had 37, 44, 30, and 43, well short of this year's tally. In those four seasons we averaged 276 points against, this year it'll be around 400 unless New England can't score today, something I'll have to see to believe. Either way, all that they have to do is score 22 points to make it 376 against this season.

Perhaps this will get people to think a little bit more about supporting moves like the one to sign Mario.

And despite all of those top notch team passing stats, the team is ranked tied at 21st for passing TDs allowed, which will likely get worse after today.

So how does one reconcile this gap between such "solid" passing stats and sacks with the ridiculous number of passing TDs we've allowed.

This is what happens when the focus on defense is rushing the passer while ignoring all else.

Fletch
12-29-2013, 02:54 PM
The game used to be WAY better

I agree. It's getting to the point where the NFL is on the cusp of becoming unwatchable for a variety of reasons the least of which is not the length of games and the saturation of football related news and coverage.

Fletch
12-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Carolina now has 60. Not that it means anything but Brady has to hit the dirt 5 times for the Bills to take the lead. Never happen, every time the Bills sack Brady it will be a personal foul.

I don't know, I wouldn't bet on that. I'd love to see us beat the Pats today, and while I don't think that'll happen simply because Marrone is only fit to tie Belicheat's shoes, but we had 3 sacks in the first game with all of our guys just trying to gel. Also, for as much as I don't think that Pettine was a good hire, he may find a way to pressure Brady to that extent.

Either way, we'll be pushing or at 60 on the season, is that a team record? I don't think that it is, but it's gotta be close.

Beebe's Kid
12-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I guess the whole Peyton argument makes a convincing argument for having a QB that can throw the ball accurately down field...you know one that is fun to watch.

I am sure EJ will progress to that point...just needs to work on his footwork...or something like that.

Beebe's Kid
12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
It is unbelievable that people are so upset about the lack of justice when it comes to NFL officiating. The same people that buy the ****, pack the stadiums, etc.

You are not an innocent party...you are the enabler. You just keep rooting for the team in a market that doesn't happen to be one of the golden geese. Maybe if the Bills would not let every good player walk at the end of the rookie contract, they might make a case for similar injustices to go their way. But the first thing we have to do is get rid of Byrd, because he doesn't want to be in Buffalo...neither do any refs.

RedEyE
12-29-2013, 04:43 PM
What good is leading the league in sacks when the same bunch of guys cant stop the run?