PDA

View Full Version : Official WJC 2014 thread

coastal
12-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Grigs, Reinhart, McDavid, Ekblad and others...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/hockey/story/1.2474919

"Mikhail Grigorenko, Russia — The six-foot-three playmaking centre already has 43 games of NHL experience with Buffalo after a stellar junior career with the Quebec Remparts. The Sabres opted to send the 19-year-old back for a third world junior tournament."

...more...

here's the TV schedule...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=695682

Thursday, 12/26
Germany vs. Canada 7:30 am ET
Czech Republic vs. USA* 11:30 am ET
Friday, 12/27
Slovakia vs. Germany 9 am ET
Saturday, 12/28
USA vs. Slovakia* 7:30 am ET
Canada vs. Czech Republic 11:30 am ET
Sunday, 12/29
Germany vs. USA* 9 am ET
Monday, 12/30
Czech Republic vs. Germany 7:30 am ET
Canada vs. Slovakia 11:30 am ET
Tuesday, 12/31
Slovakia vs. Czech Republic 7:30 am ET
USA vs. Canada* 11:30 am ET
Thursday, 1/2
Quarterfinal 6 am ET
Quarterfinal 8:30 am ET
Quarterfinal 11:00 am ET
Quarterfinal 1:30 pm ET
Saturday, 1/4
Semifinal 9 am ET
Semifinal 1 pm ET
Sunday, 1/5
Bronze Medal 9 am ET
Gold Medal 1 pm ET
* also streamed live on NHL.com

Ginger Vitis
12-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Willie Nylander isn't on Swedens official roster it is possible he was a late addition or media outlets automatically assumed he would make Swedens team. His stock has been slipping lately he is no longer considered a Top 3 pick n the 2014 draft. Zach Fucale is not starting tomorrow for Canada against Gemany this is a shock in IMO Brent Sutter is making a mistake playing Jake Paterson instead of Fucale.

JATMtheJATM
12-25-2013, 02:59 PM
ive watched paterson play for saginaw. hes decent, but a 17 year old russian is playing better for sagnasty. id love to give his name, but its like... serebrioekovisteinlovstinov or something. i can say say. cant spell it.

JATMtheJATM
12-25-2013, 03:01 PM
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/10416

thats him. lots of talent. very raw.

coastal
12-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Willie Nylander isn't on Swedens official roster it is possible he was a late addition or media outlets automatically assumed he would make Swedens team. His stock has been slipping lately he is no longer considered a Top 3 pick n the 2014 draft. Zach Fucale is not starting tomorrow for Canada against Gemany this is a shock in IMO Brent Sutter is making a mistake playing Jake Paterson instead of Fucale.Patterson just let in a soft albeit tipped shot from the point.

coastal
12-26-2013, 06:45 AM
So far Lazar (Ottawa Senators) has had a couple of great shifts. He was someone I wanted the Sabres to draft.

Draistl with a couple of turnovers.

coastal
12-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Reinhart with a nice patient game... and an assist to show for it.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Reinhart with a nice patient game... and an assist to show for it.

That was good effort on Reinharts part to set up Lazar on Canada's 4th goal.

coastal
12-26-2013, 07:30 AM
That was good effort on Reinharts part to set up Lazar on Canada's 4th goal.
Think it was Horvat who scored but yes it was a nice effort.

Reinharts line always has the puck. McDavid has had what seems like a handful of point blank chances and hasn't finished. I'm sure he's nervous. Kid is 16!!!! That's crazy to me.

Reinhart and McDavid on a line together... and on into the NHL... dream and drool.

ooops... Reinhart with a goal!

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Think it was Horvat who scored but yes it was a nice effort.

Reinharts line always has the puck. McDavid has had what seems like a handful of point blank chances and hasn't finished. I'm sure he's nervous. Kid is 16!!!! That's crazy to me.

Reinhart and McDavid on a line together... and on into the NHL... dream and drool.

ooops... Reinhart with a goal!

Nice goal by Reinhart the Germans caught on a bad line change

coastal
12-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Germany clearly isn't in the same class as the Canadians.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Aaron Ekblad is getting a decent amount of time on the PP and shorthanded as well as when Germany's top line is on the ice. It's good that Brent Sutter recognizes regardless of age right now Ekblad is one of his better defensemen. But it does need to be said Dumba and Pouliot are playing much better than they did in the exhibition games

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Another wow moment from McDavid on that wrap around the net. Petan gets credit for the goal and well deserved assist from McDavid. McDavid now has 2 assists and should have 3 he should have gotten credit for a assist on the Horvat goal in the 1st period

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 08:43 AM
The 2013 draft was so good..So many players to like. Hopefully Nikita Zadorov will be good enough that 10 years from now Sabres fans wont be looking back wishing Darcy had drafted Curtis Lazar or Anthony Mantha instead

After one period Russia leads Norway 5-0. Nikita Zadorov scored Russia's 2nd goal a wrister from the top of the circle and Grigorenko scored Russia's 5th goal

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Zadorov and Grigorenko goals against Norway

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1568087&page=2

JATMtheJATM
12-26-2013, 10:28 AM
The 2013 draft was so good..So many players to like. Hopefully Nikita Zadorov will be good enough that 10 years from now Sabres fans wont be looking back wishing Darcy had drafted Curtis Lazar or Anthony Mantha instead

After one period Russia leads Norway 5-0. Nikita Zadorov scored Russia's 2nd goal a wrister from the top of the circle and Grigorenko scored Russia's 5th goal

i dont look back at drafts myself and think what they could have gotten. even if better players are taken later, if the player is a productive player, its a good pick, IMO. and while its early, zadorov certainly looks like he has the goods. time will tell, and yes, the sabres took him higher then most figured, but they were looking at a particular playing style.

except fucale. i feel like buffalo dropped the ball not drafting him.

JATMtheJATM
12-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Patterson just let in a soft albeit tipped shot from the point.

eh, im in the camp that no tipped goal is ever soft. tipped shots SUCK.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2013, 12:31 PM
zadorov certainly looks like he has the goods.

Zadorov got 2 goals against Norway. 6 points in 8 games in London it would appear his offensive game is developing quite well

JATMtheJATM
12-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Zadorov got 2 goals against Norway. 6 points in 8 games in London it would appear his offensive game is developing quite well

exactly. hes probably going to be a top 4 dman. im sure better players were taken later, but if zads a top 4 on a team thats supposed to be good in a few years, ill take it.

gebobs
12-26-2013, 09:47 PM
wont be looking back wishing Darcy had drafted Anthony Mantha instead
What...we need another Mogilny?

- - - Updated - - -

eh, im in the camp that no tipped goal is ever soft. tipped shots SUCK.
It was tipped at least twice, bouncing and well screened. The puck had eyes.

JATMtheJATM
12-26-2013, 10:43 PM
What...we need another Mogilny?

- - - Updated - - -

It was tipped at least twice, bouncing and well screened. The puck had eyes.

alot of people will call a tip right when the puck is shot weak. what they dont realize is the goaltender reads the puck on the stick. so even if a 40 foot shot is tipped in the first 6 inches, its a very difficult adjustment to make.

Ginger Vitis
12-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Rasmus Ristolainen did not play well in Finland's 5-1 win over Norway. 0 points and it was his fault on the lone Norway goal. Lacked effort at times and allowed a few Norwegian forwards to rush the net

JATMtheJATM
12-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Rasmus Ristolainen did not play well in Finland's 5-1 win over Norway. 0 points and it was his fault on the lone Norway goal. Lacked effort at times and allowed a few Norwegian forwards to rush the net

ironically, i was just reading kris bakers report on sabres.com

he said risto looked smooth and confident and played steady.

Ginger Vitis
12-27-2013, 02:59 PM
ironically, i was just reading kris bakers report on sabres.com

he said risto looked smooth and confident and played steady.

I guess Kris and I have a different opinion. My expectations for Risto are high he should be Finland's best player and be at a level where is close to dominating in this WJC but his recent concussion may affect his play

JATMtheJATM
12-27-2013, 03:27 PM
I guess Kris and I have a different opinion. My expectations for Risto are high he should be Finland's best player and be at a level where is close to dominating in this WJC but his recent concussion may affect his play

i didnt see it, so im not saying one is right or wrong.

mightysimi
12-28-2013, 02:06 PM
***, Canada loses in a shootout to the Czechs. That will hurt come playoff time. The positive is coming back 4 times down a goal but the goaltending wasn't very good. I wouldn't be shocked to see Fucale in the net next game.

Ginger Vitis
12-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Connor McDavid had 1 assist against the Czechs and also took 2 bad hooking penalties and was benched for a bit in the 3rd period.. Not a good game for him. Aaron Ekblad had a goal but was a turnover machine in the 1st period and was at fault for the Czechs 1st 2 goals. Sam Reinhart had a goal and assist and was one of Canada's best players.

mightysimi
12-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Connor McDavid had 1 assist against the Czechs and also took 2 bad hooking penalties and was benched for a bit in the 3rd period.. Not a good game for him. Aaron Ekblad had a goal but was a turnover machine in the 1st period and was at fault for the Czechs 1st 2 goals. Sam Reinhart had a goal and assist and was one of Canada's best players.

yeah rough game for him. He looked like he was fighting it a bit. Even in the shootout he stick handled it off his own stick.

Ginger Vitis
12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Fucale in the net next game.

Your prediction came true Fucale is getting the start against the Slovaks.

Ginger Vitis
12-29-2013, 09:19 PM
yeah rough game for him. He looked like he was fighting it a bit. Even in the shootout he stick handled it off his own stick.

Hopefully McDavid responds against the Slovaks. When Sidney Crosby was 16 and played in the 03/04 tournament I believe he played on the 3rd line and he wasn't expected to carry a great load. This current Canadian team lacks offensive talent and skill Brent Sutter almost has no choice but to play McDavid on the 2nd line

Ginger Vitis
12-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Rasmus Ristolainen did not play against Russia today due to the flu bug. Mikhail Grigorenko had a assist on Russia's only goal but other than that he was invisible for most of the game. He played played soft just doesn't not compete.

JATMtheJATM
12-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Rasmus Ristolainen did not play against Russia today due to the flu bug. Mikhail Grigorenko had a assist on Russia's only goal but other than that he was invisible for most of the game. He played played soft just doesn't not compete.

he did have a team leading 6 shots.

Ginger Vitis
12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
he did have a team leading 6 shots.

He played better in the 3rd period. Most of the Russian team just didn't show up

Ginger Vitis
12-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Nice comeback win for Canada over Slovakia 5-3. Sam Reinhart had a assist on a nice pass to Nic Petan on Canada's 5th goal a empty netter. Reinhart also drew 2 penalties in the game due to his speed. Aaron Ekblad got off to a slow start but had a assist on Canada"s 2nd goal and played quite a bit in the 3rd period crunch time. Connor McDavid didn't play much in the 1st 2 periods and had little impact. However in the 3rd period he played quite bit. He had a goal disallowed due to carrying the puck and was creating chances throughout the period.

mightysimi
12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Playing with fire though. How long can you get behind and come back. Big game tomorrow.

JATMtheJATM
12-30-2013, 11:56 PM
He played better in the 3rd period. Most of the Russian team just didn't show up

im wondering if he will ever get it, and if he doesnt, is his skill enough to make him a productive, yet maddening player to have.

coastal
12-31-2013, 06:25 AM
alot of people will call a tip right when the puck is shot weak. what they dont realize is the goaltender reads the puck on the stick. so even if a 40 foot shot is tipped in the first 6 inches, its a very difficult adjustment to make.
The goal went five hole. He had poor mechanics on the save attempt and it cost them a goal.

coastal
12-31-2013, 06:27 AM
im wondering if he will ever get it, and if he doesnt, is his skill enough to make him a productive, yet maddening player to have.
He's a different kind of player to be sure. Just don't know if you can translate his game over to the NHL.

gebobs
12-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Anyone know of any good feeds for streaming the US Canada game?

Ginger Vitis
12-31-2013, 09:31 AM

Grigs scored Russia's 2nd goal on a tip in this morning against Sweden. I think at best Grigs will b e a complimentary player. He cant create on his own. As far as intangibles go I think he will always be lacking there. Hence why the Sabres need a Sam Reinhart guy who does the complimentary stuff very well and can be a leader

coastal
12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
I thought nhl.com was streaming it

Ginger Vitis
12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
One of the big storylines going into the USA Canada tilt is Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel the top 2 prospects for the 2015 draft. Griffin Reinharts suspension is over and he's playing I would expect Aarons Ekblads ice time to be less than it has been

coastal
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
From what I've seen of Reinhart.. I hope we win the lotto for him.

JATMtheJATM
12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
From what I've seen of Reinhart.. I hope we win the lotto for him.

i have a feed if youd like it.

coastal
12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
i have a feed if youd like it.
Thx... DVR'ing it.

Ginger Vitis
12-31-2013, 12:40 PM
great game it met my expectations. Connor McDavid competed hard all game and finally got his 1st goal of the tournament putting Canada ahead 2-1 Mdavid and Jack Eichel seem to bring out the best in each other and Eichel was impressive as well he had a few scoring opportunities. Brent Sutter had the confidence in Sam Reinhart to have him on the ice in the last 45 seconds when Canada was clinging to their lead. Aaron Ekblad was solid defensivly especially in the 2nd period when he had a few pass breakups

gebobs
12-31-2013, 12:48 PM
I thought nhl.com was streaming it

I thought so too. I couldn't find anywhere on the site to get it.

coastal
12-31-2013, 01:06 PM
I think u need an nhl.com account. Did u register?

JATMtheJATM
12-31-2013, 01:20 PM
firstrowsports has the games.

mightysimi
01-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Your prediction came true Fucale is getting the start against the Slovaks.

He looked average against the Slovaks but great against the Americans. Should be his job for the rest of it. Have fun with the Russians!!

Ginger Vitis
01-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Nikita Zadorov had 2 PP goals both 5 on 3 in Russia's 5-3 over the USA. Zadorov has a cannon of a slapshot and he was a workhorse for the Russians playing a ton of minutes. Grigorenko had Russia's 1st goal and was one of Russia's better forwards offensively although he allowed Ryan Hartman to get position on him and showed a little laziness on Hartmans goal. In the 2nd period it looked like Grigorenko oversold a hook and took a dive that was called a penalty to put the USA shorthanded which lead to one of Zadorovs PP goals... As a Sabres fan I want and hope to see Zad and Grigs play well but typical Russians they were classless with there taunting after they scored goals, even the coaches and the Russian trainers were idiots with their gestures. I hope the Russians get their asses kicked in the semifinals

SpikedLemonade
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Bye bye U-S-A!!!

coastal
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Bye bye U-S-A!!!
U r a class A qunt.

mightysimi
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
You never know with the Russians. They can be great or brutal. Canada gets the Fins and looking like the Swedes get the Russians.

Ginger Vitis
01-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Canada gets the Fins

It will be interesting to see how Ristolainen plays on Saturday. Risto played well in the 3rd period against the Czechs but for the 1st 2 periods he played like a guy who was just getting over a sickness.. This tournament has been a clusterfudge for him with not playing in any exhibition games and missing 2 tournament games

mightysimi
01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
should be a good game. The fins are probably missing Barkov right about now.

SkateZilla
01-03-2014, 12:18 PM
USA Played Scrub teams in their pre-lims, and then got a wake up call vs Canada, then played lazy against Russia.

Officiating was horrible both ways, many missed calls both ways, and many bs calls both ways.

Ginger Vitis
01-04-2014, 12:12 PM
lol it was cool to see Risto and Scott Laughton trash talking each other and getting in each others faces during pregame warmup. Risto seems to have a little moxie to him

coastal
01-04-2014, 01:09 PM
What a goal by risto

Ginger Vitis
01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Risto took a dumb high sticking penalty in the 2nd period but Canada could not capatalize. Risto looks like he is back to being 100% and other than the dumb penalty is playing well and risto just scored Finland's 3rd goal on a nice top shelf goal

coastal
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Lazar has been my favorite Canadian hockey player so far.

Ginger Vitis
01-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Sam Reinhart showed good effort on the chip and chase to draw a penalty unfortunately Canada's PP has been **** all game

mightysimi
01-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Well that sucks. Nice play by the fins to say that buddy had a sore hand and couldn't take the penalty shot. Either way it didn't matter, the fins get you down it's tough to come back.

Ginger Vitis
01-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Disapointting Reinhart and McDavid did not get a point in the last 2 games..McDavid had little impact today or against the Swiss

I would have liked to have seen Ekblad play a more physical game today but one thing I like about Ekblad is he has no PIM in this tournament.. Compare that to Mathew Dumba who has 6 minor penalties and several of them were just stupid penalties if I was a Minnesota Wild fan I would be very discouraged by Dumba's play in this tournament. 20/20 hindsight says Darnell Nurse should have been on the team instead of Josh Morrisey and Mike Pelech and Max Domi should have been on the team instead of any of the 4th line grinders

coastal
01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Leaving Nurse and Domi off the team was monumentally stupid.

coastal
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Grigs got a tournament team star!

Ginger Vitis
01-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Did Zadorov get a tournament team star?

coastal
01-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Don Cherry just roasted Hockey Canada for player selections... namely Nurse and Domi.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 06:57 PM

i really hope he comes back and gets some ice time with the sabres. i get nolan wants players to earn time, but what has scott done to earn 10 minutes a night over grigo?

coastal
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
i really hope he comes back and gets some ice time with the sabres. i get nolan wants players to earn time, but what has scott done to earn 10 minutes a night over grigo?
At this point you force him onto the ice and force him to learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Did Zadorov get a tournament team star?
Don't know... Can't seem to find but saw Grigs.

coastal
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Grigs with a goal in bronze medal game.

coastal
01-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Outside of Canada's opener against Germany I have not been overly impressed with Reinhart. He looks slight and is not strong on his skates.

dont get me wrong... The patience, hockey sense and two way game are there, but right now I don't see a good translation for him over into the NHL.

ekblad is the pick right now, but he's made a lot of really bad passes in this tournament.

Zadorov is badass. He's going to be a good defensemen... maybe a great one.

mightysimi
01-05-2014, 10:44 AM
I would agree with you. There is always another forward but solid D are tough to come by. I would pick Ekblad. He was a 17 year old playing top minutes against the best in the world. Reinhart is good, the patience is ridiculous but I think it will take him longer to get used to the speed of the game.

Ginger Vitis
01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
I would agree with you. There is always another forward but solid D are tough to come by. I would pick Ekblad. He was a 17 year old playing top minutes against the best in the world.

Now that the WJC is over at this point I like Reinhart and Ekblad equally although I feel I should be leaning towards Ekblad for the reasons that you mentioned

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 12:40 PM
the main reason i would take reinhart is because the sabres have drafted pretty heavily defensively lately. they have tons of talent on the blue line. sabres dont have as much help up front. id be thrilled with either, honestly.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
and there are question marks surrounding grigo. though i hope his good tournament gives him some confidence when he gets back to buffalo.

coastal
01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
the main reason i would take reinhart is because the sabres have drafted pretty heavily defensively lately. they have tons of talent on the blue line. sabres dont have as much help up front. id be thrilled with either, honestly.
You take Ekblad and trade some of the other defensive assets we have for top 6 forwards.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 03:00 PM
RISTO scores the OT winner, finland wins gold, risto named tourneys best d-man. thats great for him and the sabres.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 03:01 PM
You take Ekblad and trade some of the other defensive assets we have for top 6 forwards.

i still dont trade risto or zad or even pysyk. maybe mcnabb or mccabe, or you just build the best damn D ever.

id still take reinhart, but either way, id be VERY happy with one of the two.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
the golden goal by risto

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=269554

ckg927
01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
i still dont trade risto or zad or even pysyk. maybe mcnabb or mccabe, or you just build the best damn D ever.

id still take reinhart, but either way, id be VERY happy with one of the two.

No debate from me on that point. Pysyk has the makings of a good shut-down D-man, not to mention he's got great puck skills. He won't score many points, but that isn't of much concern. Zad(go ahead and call him The Big Show, if you want)can score AND check you into next week...at times, on the same shift. Risto can probably run the point on the PP for years to come.

coastal
01-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Risto, Zad, Grigs.. all solid tournaments.

Throw Ekblad into the mix...

Girgs and Pysyk... it's a start.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Risto, Zad, Grigs.. all solid tournaments.

Throw Ekblad into the mix...

Girgs and Pysyk... it's a start.

armia too. mccabe is solid, hodgson is still young, hackett has potential, compher, larsson...

sabres have lots of youngsters. now they just need to get some elite talent, which they can do at the top of the draft this year and next. and possibly beyond that.

coastal
01-05-2014, 04:03 PM
armia too. mccabe is solid, hodgson is still young, hackett has potential, compher, larsson...

sabres have lots of youngsters. now they just need to get some elite talent, which they can do at the top of the draft this year and next. and possibly beyond that.
I like the idea of building four cornerstones on the backend with a very big, physical and aggressive two way front end.

The NHL season and subsequent postseason is a war of attrition.

Make it extremely difficult for the other team to score and build toughness.

with Nolan as coach?

sign me up.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I like the idea of building four cornerstones on the backend with a very big, physical and aggressive two way front end.

The NHL season and subsequent postseason is a war of attrition.

Make it extremely difficult for the other team to score and build toughness.

with Nolan as coach?

sign me up.

im not disagreeing in the least. but, at the very least. the current cast of youngsters are going to be very difficult to play against. also, theres also a future D man coming next year i believe should the sabres suck again but miss out on mcdavid. sean day. or maybe thats 2016?

coastal
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Armia's a big body who is learning to at the game...

Ginger Vitis
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
That is awesome for Risto.. 2 big goals in 2 big games at the WJC.. it looks like Darcy hit 2 bullseyes with Risto and Zad

Ginger Vitis
01-05-2014, 04:34 PM
sean day. or maybe thats 2016?

Sean Day is 2016 draft eligible

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Armia's a big body who is learning to at the game...
right, but he plays hard, and has tons of skill. its going to be a few years, but hes going to be a very helpful top 6 forward sooner rather then later.

- - - Updated - - -

Sean Day is 2016 draft eligible

thanks. whose the either big name in 2015? eichel or something?

Ginger Vitis
01-05-2014, 04:45 PM
right, but he plays hard, and has tons of skill. its going to be a few years, but hes going to be a very helpful top 6 forward sooner rather then later.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks. whose the either big name in 2015? eichel or something?

Jack Eichel USA he had 5 points in 5 games in this WJC.. There are a few big name forwards for the 2015 draft the 2015 draft is considered to be better than the 2014 class

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
5 goals for grigo in the WJC. he may have underwhelmed some, but he can bring it at a level higher then just the Q. so that gives me some hope that maybe he can return to the sabres, get some ice time, and improve. nolan just has to give him the chance, and grigo has to seize it.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Jack Eichel USA he had 5 points in 5 games in this WJC.. There are a few big name forwards for the 2015 draft the 2015 draft is considered to be better than the 2014 class

That kid may knock McDavid from the #1 overall spot.

JATMtheJATM
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
That kid may knock McDavid from the #1 overall spot.

i cant say for sure. eichel has some serious numbers, but the USHL is quite a step below the OHL. but i dont know. the 2015 draft should be sexy, and the sabres could have two lottery picks in it.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
i cant say for sure. eichel has some serious numbers, but the USHL is quite a step below the OHL. but i dont know. the 2015 draft should be sexy, and the sabres could have two lottery picks in it.

It's like college football...It's lopsided..One team is always much better then the other.So I don't pay any mind to the goals or asst.

JATMtheJATM
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
It's like college football...It's lopsided..One team is always much better then the other.So I don't pay any mind to the goals or asst.

well, by july 2015, the sabres direction should be much more evident in terms of youngsters.

the cupboard is well stocked, and now they can get elite talent too.
ill have to check out a muskegon game and see hurley soon.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 09:49 PM
well, by july 2015, the sabres direction should be much more evident in terms of youngsters.

the cupboard is well stocked, and now they can get elite talent too.
ill have to check out a muskegon game and see hurley soon.

Their going to have to trade some of those young guys in order to bring in elite talent.

And FA is no give me either, Not many guy's are in a hurry to join rebuilding teams.

The Sabres brand don't carry the same weight as other franchises do.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 10:04 PM
The Sabres have a total of 20 goals scored by all of their 1st round draft picks COMBINED...That's an awful foundation.

Chris Kreider has 11.

JATMtheJATM
01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Their going to have to trade some of those young guys in order to bring in elite talent.

And FA is no give me either, Not many guy's are in a hurry to join rebuilding teams.

The Sabres brand don't carry the same weight as other franchises do.

they can draft potential elite talent.

JATMtheJATM
01-06-2014, 10:55 PM
The Sabres have a total of 20 goals scored by all of their 1st round draft picks COMBINED...That's an awful foundation.

Chris Kreider has 11.
right, but alot of the sabres future are not ready for the NHL yet. its not like there are any busts on the team. they certainly dont have an awful foundation for the future. its simply not ready yet.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 11:25 PM
right, but alot of the sabres future are not ready for the NHL yet. its not like there are any busts on the team. they certainly dont have an awful foundation for the future. its simply not ready yet.

Dude....Those are the Sabres 1st round picks.

You have bust...Girgerenko that guy dropped like a stone in the draft for a reason...He's another Nikolay Zherdev.

Tyler Ennis....3rd liner at best.

If you are going to build through the draft, Look at where the teams that were successful took their players from.

"NORTH AMERICA"....Euros very rarely pan out in the NHL...They like no contact Euro hockey...You smack em around a little they want to quit.

JATMtheJATM
01-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Dude....Those are the Sabres 1st round picks.

You have bust...Girgerenko that guy dropped like a stone in the draft for a reason...He's another Nikolay Zherdev.

Tyler Ennis....3rd liner at best.

If you are going to build through the draft, Look at where the teams that were successful took their players from.

"NORTH AMERICA"....Euros very rarely pan out in the NHL...They like no contact Euro hockey...You smack em around a little they want to quit.

were going to a call a guy who just played in an under 20 tournament a bust? im concerned about him, but a bust? seems a little premature. hes 19. hes not even eligible to play in the american hockey league yet, and were gonna call him a bust?

there are plenty of successful euros who play rough hockey. the sabres happened to have drafted one: ristolainen. the sabres have a great foundation that will improved upon through the draft. also, if im not mistaken, the best dman in the league, one of the roughest is a euro. chara.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
i also know that coastal and i dont agree on tyler ennis. hes not a third liner at best. his scoring is down this year, but through his career, hes been a top 6 forward, with production to match. i wouldnt call him an important piece going forward, but throughout his career, hes been a solid secondary scoring winger.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 01:31 AM
If Seattle got a NHL team next season the Sabres would be on par with them.

You're going to be 32 before you see the Sabres play a meaningful game again.

The world is soft and fluffy and full of joy spirit you have is going to be needed...LOL

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Speaking of Seattle...

We may see 2 new western teams in the NHL come 2015.

Talk about some bad luck...

coastal
01-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Speaking of Seattle...

That would be a total kick in the package, but this is Buffalo sports were talkin about.

Deep down in we all know something like that will **** it up.

coastal
01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
i also know that coastal and i dont agree on tyler ennis. hes not a third liner at best. his scoring is down this year, but through his career, hes been a top 6 forward, with production to match. i wouldnt call him an important piece going forward, but throughout his career, hes been a solid secondary scoring winger.
Dude.. Ennis is a throw away hockey player... a dime a dozen.

He's just closer to being a first line AHL player than a NHL first liner.

hes not part of any rebuild.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 10:28 AM
i didnt say he was part of the rebuild.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Speaking of Seattle...

typically, they dont give the lottery pick to expansion teams. they usually get the second or third pick.

seattles also at an impasse. they wont grant them an expansion team unless an arena is under construction, and the arena wont get under construction till they have a team. seattle has no place to play in the meantime.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 10:32 AM
If Seattle got a NHL team next season the Sabres would be on par with them.

You're going to be 32 before you see the Sabres play a meaningful game again.

The world is soft and fluffy and full of joy spirit you have is going to be needed...LOL

im not really sure what your point is here. everyone and their dog knows the sabres have 2 or 3 more years of struggling before they play meaningful games. that doesnt mean they dont have solid prospects drafted and developing elsewhere or even in buffalo with girgs and pysyk.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
also, back to the seattle thing. with the NHL using a lottery system for the first time in recent expansion, i would expect the two expansions teams to have the odds of a 29th -27th place team. and while expansion will happen, i dont see it happening prior to 2016. unfortunately.

coastal
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
U may be right and all but who r u trying to convince.

lol.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 11:33 AM
U may be right and all but who r u trying to convince.

lol.

about expansion? im all for expansion. its just not going to happen before 2016 in seattle because they dont really have a facility to play in. quebec might happen sooner, their arena has been under construction for a while.

but yes, expansion teams can get first overall. i had forgotten about the horrible 1999 draft and atlanta.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 01:55 PM
In 1993 the FL Panthers came into the NHL with no ice to play on..They had 6 months to find a rink..LOL

Seattle and Quebec have rinks ready to go, Until their arena get built.

The CBA is in place.

The TV deal is in place.

The divisions have been realigned.

And the expansion teams will go into the draft lotto system as a bottom feeder, The NHL's #1 priority is to get those teams going ASAP.

FL,SJ,ATL, and so on have all picked within the top 5.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 02:10 PM
In 1993 the FL Panthers came into the NHL with no ice to play on..They had 6 months to find a rink..LOL

Seattle and Quebec have rinks ready to go, Until their arena get built.

The CBA is in place.

The TV deal is in place.

The divisions have been realigned.

And the expansion teams will go into the draft lotto system as a bottom feeder, The NHL's #1 priority is to get those teams going ASAP.

FL,SJ,ATL, and so on have all picked within the top 5.

seattle doesnt have a rink in place, really. unless they went to the tacoma dome, and i believe they removed their ice plant when the sonics played there. the rockets were long gone by then.

the miami arena was a new facility when the florida joined the league.

expansion will happen, but i dont see a new team skating without a 24-30 month notice before hand.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
and now, lets talk about what everyones beating around the bush about with seattle; key arena. there have been conflicting reports about whether or not key arena can be used. it says key arena could seat 15,000 for hockey, but thats only part of it. when they renovated key arena in the early-mid 90s, they offset the ice, so that a competing NHL team with the sonics couldnt call it home. its somewhat like the barclays center, or american west arena, only worse. only 9,000-10,000 seats wouldnt have obstructed views. so thats why people arent sure if key arena is suitable, even for one season.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
seattle doesnt have a rink in place, really. unless they went to the tacoma dome, and i believe they removed their ice plant when the sonics played there. the rockets were long gone by then.

the miami arena was a new facility when the florida joined the league.

expansion will happen, but i dont see a new team skating without a 24-30 month notice before hand.

FL Played in a dump, That's where the whole Rats thing comes from.It was a **** hole from the get go,That's why the Heat and Panthers left it in under 8 years.

The NHL is much further ahead on this than anyone thinks. http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/31/gary-bettman-wants-nhl-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

This is a good read with valid points http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/8/18/4623942/realignment-complicates-potential-nhl-expansion-to-32-teams

Seattle would start of playing at Key Arena http://www.keyarena.com/

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
and now, lets talk about what everyones beating around the bush about with seattle; key arena. there have been conflicting reports about whether or not key arena can be used. it says key arena could seat 15,000 for hockey, but thats only part of it. when they renovated key arena in the early-mid 90s, they offset the ice, so that a competing NHL team with the sonics couldnt call it home. its somewhat like the barclays center, or american west arena, only worse. only 9,000-10,000 seats wouldnt have obstructed views. so thats why people arent sure if key arena is suitable, even for one season.

Islanders are moving to Barclays Center...Same situation.

You don't need a brand new building with all the bells and whistles from the get go.

It only takes a year to build these arenas and all the plans are well planned out already.

They want the teams to get a foot in the door and get the fan base started..Seattle/Quebec would be packed regardless of what the arena is like, Fans know it's only a temp building.

Look no further then the Winn Jets.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Islanders are moving to Barclays Center...Same situation.

You don't need a brand new building with all the bells and whistles from the get go.

It only takes a year to build these arenas and all the plans are well planned out already.

They want the teams to get a foot in the door and get the fan base started..Seattle/Quebec would be packed regardless of what the arena is like, Fans know it's only a temp building.

Look no further then the Winn Jets.

i agree seattle and quebec would be packed. im all for expansion. but the barclays center situation is not as bad as the key arena layout. half the lower bowl is not usable, and about 1/3 of the upper bowl is not usable, or have significantly obstructed seats. i think seattle will get a team, itll just be after a new arena is built. i just dont think expansion happen for a few more years.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
FL Played in a dump, That's where the whole Rats thing comes from.It was a **** hole from the get go,That's why the Heat and Panthers left it in under 8 years.

The NHL is much further ahead on this than anyone thinks. http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/31/gary-bettman-wants-nhl-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

This is a good read with valid points http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/8/18/4623942/realignment-complicates-potential-nhl-expansion-to-32-teams

Seattle would start of playing at Key Arena http://www.keyarena.com/

miami arena was one of those late 80s arena. it was nice when it opened, but was quickly obsolete. but when the panthers came about, it was only 4 years old.

and just to be a dick, the heat played there for 12 years.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, the key arena was so bad for hockey, thats why the thunderbirds left the arena. it was even bad for a WHL team.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Either way you slice it, They are coming, And the Sabres will be affected.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
miami arena was one of those late 80s arena. it was nice when it opened, but was quickly obsolete. but when the panthers came about, it was only 4 years old.

and just to be a dick, the heat played there for 12 years.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, the key arena was so bad for hockey, thats why the thunderbirds left the arena. it was even bad for a WHL team.

You were 3 years old when the Panther came out right?

And you 'HOPE' expansion don't happen for a few more years ,But that's not going to be the case.

Buffalo sure does have some **** luck when it comes to sports.

coastal
01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Can u imagine losing out on McDavid and Eichel.

da***?!

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 06:46 PM

And you 'HOPE' expansion don't happen for a few more years ,But that's not going to be the case.

i dont see expansion happening for the 15-16 season. 17 months is not enough time, imo, especially since nothing is really official yet.

but if it happens, it happens. no skin off my ass.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 06:54 PM

i was 9 in 1993

- - - Updated - - -

Either way you slice it, They are coming, And the Sabres will be affected.

every team will be affected.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 07:00 PM
for ****s and giggles, i asked joe yerdon from pro hockey talk about expansion. he guessed the absolute earliest was 2016-17. take it for what its worth. speculation.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 07:17 PM
MikeMikeMike ‏@Mike*****Mike (https://twitter.com/Mike*****Mike)<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">14m (https://twitter.com/Mike*****Mike/status/420724754371182592)</small>
@JoeYerdonPHT (https://twitter.com/JoeYerdonPHT) yeah someone was saying 15-16 and I just don't think that's possible

Joe Yerdon ‏@JoeYerdonPHT (https://twitter.com/JoeYerdonPHT)<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">8m (https://twitter.com/JoeYerdonPHT/status/420726392322400256)</small>
@Mike*****Mike (https://twitter.com/Mike*****Mike) if they got that started this summer, maybe.

JATMtheJATM
01-07-2014, 07:25 PM
yep i was waiting for you to post so i could add that. so yes its possible.

if im wrong, im wrong.

do you use twitter at all? its pretty awesome for sports talk.

Downinfloflo
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I have never even sent a text message to anyone.

JATMtheJATM
01-08-2014, 02:05 PM
I have never even sent a text message to anyone.

ahh, thats too bad.

and just so you think i wasnt skewing the discussion, the tweet about 2015 came after i posted yerdons original response. i try to be honest and fair.

Downinfloflo
01-09-2014, 09:05 PM
After the Panthers game, They have a show on about when they started, They got awarded the Franchise in March and had 5 and a half months to get the Franchise together.

The 1st team President was worried, He said they had no rink no nothing, Not even a puck...LOL

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
After the Panthers game, They have a show on about when they started, They got awarded the Franchise in March and had 5 and a half months to get the Franchise together.

The 1st team President was worried, He said they had no rink no nothing, Not even a puck...LOL

look at the thrashers. awarded june 25, 1997, played in 1999-2000
wild, same day, began play in 2000-01
jackets, same day, 2000-01
the preds were a toss up. the formal process began in jan 97, and had to get 12,000 season ticket holders by march 98. they did, and began play in 98-99

so the NHL usually plans these out with a little more time then before.

i also think theyll put both teams in the league at the same time, so thats another reason i dont think it happens before the 16-17 at earliest.

by the way, the panthers were award in december 92, not march 93. the panthers were actually registered in 91, but not official till dec 92.

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 10:02 PM
that said, its entirely possible they already have begun, and we dont know about it.

Downinfloflo
01-09-2014, 10:49 PM
I'll go with what the team's president had to say about the situation.

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 11:00 PM
http://panthers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61371

ill go with the teams website dedicated to the teams history.

Downinfloflo
01-10-2014, 01:48 PM
You should try to watch this, The teams 1st owner and president sit down and tell the story of how they started.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=697669

JATMtheJATM
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
You should try to watch this, The teams 1st owner and president sit down and tell the story of how they started.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=697669

sorry, im going to go by multiple sources that all have the same date, including the teams website.

Downinfloflo
01-10-2014, 02:47 PM
sorry, im going to go by multiple sources that all have the same date, including the teams website.

And Ignore the men that actually bought the team and put them together..Cool story...LMAO

JATMtheJATM
01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
And Ignore the men that actually bought the team and put them together..Cool story...LMAO

watch what? theres a link to a program that shows on fox sports florida or whatever. theres no video to watch. it also doesnt include the teams first primary owner. torrey, the teams first president, wasnt even president until april 19, 1993. over 4 months after huizinga was awarded the team.

the florida panthers website says dec 10th, the same day the mighty ducks were founded. they founded both teams on the same day.

Downinfloflo
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
watch what? theres a link to a program that shows on fox sports florida or whatever. theres no video to watch. it also doesnt include the teams first primary owner. torrey, the teams first president, wasnt even president until april 19, 1993. over 4 months after huizinga was awarded the team.

the florida panthers website says dec 10th, the same day the mighty ducks were founded. they founded both teams on the same day.

ERRMMM....They talk to the teams 1st owner and president about how the franchise got it's start, And what they went through and how they went through it to make it happen.

But hey what does the original owner and team president know? The website is where it's at...

JATMtheJATM
01-10-2014, 03:10 PM
ERRMMM....They talk to the teams 1st owner and president about how the franchise got it's start, And what they went through and how they went through it to make it happen.

But hey what does the original owner and team president know? The website is where it's at...

the NHL granted the team to huizinga on dec 10. thats a fact. the team and the NHL recognize that fact.

from the link you gave me:

"Interviews featured in the fourth installment of the 2013-2014 Inside the Panthers include first Panthers president and current Alternate Governor Bill Torrey, along with former Panthers players including goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8452157), original captain Brian Skrudland (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8451427), first pick in franchise history Rob Niedermayer (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8459427), forwards Ray Sheppard (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8451343), Peter Worrell (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8462198) and current FOX Sports Florida color analyst Bill Lindsay (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8458617) (@LindsayBHockey) along with current radio play-by-play voice Randy Moller (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8449662) and current Panthers Director of Player Development Bryan McCabe (http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8459462).FOX Sports Florida will also sit down with former Panthers GM Bryan Murray and current GM Dale Tallon as they look back on 20 years of the Panthers franchise. The show is hosted by Drew Goldfarb and produced by Frank Forte."

im not seeing team owner wayne huizenga anywhere on that. did they interview him? i find it hard to believe they would gloss over his participation in the teams history video,

furthermore, i cant watch the video. it doesnt appear to be online. so since i cant watch the contents of the video, im going to go with the NHL and panthers history pages.

Downinfloflo
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
LOL.....Your too much...

JATMtheJATM
01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
LOL.....Your too much...

what can i say. the NHL and florida panthers have dec 10 as the date. so im not too worried about a video with the president of the team who was hired after the dec 10 award and your march date (the team didnt have a name till march or april, so its probably what he was referencing)... especially a video i cant watch.

so why on earth would i do any differently?

JATMtheJATM
01-10-2014, 04:28 PM
LOL.....Your too much...

and i hope you enjoy it as much as i do. debate is fun.

in the end, your point is proven and we are quibbling over 4 months. the fact remains that the panthers did become an expansion team and get on the ice within a year.

so seattle could happen in 2015. but it also could go the other way, like columbus, minnesota and atlanta, which were founded 2 and 3 years prior to their inaugural season. guess we will find out, eh?

Ginger Vitis
01-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Tonight in Barries 8-5 win over Kingston Aaron Ekblad scored 4 goals and had 1 assist. That kind of performance will make mock drafters think long and hard about putting Aaron No.1 in there mock drafts

Downinfloflo
01-11-2014, 10:23 PM
and i hope you enjoy it as much as i do. debate is fun.

in the end, your point is proven and we are quibbling over 4 months. the fact remains that the panthers did become an expansion team and get on the ice within a year.

so seattle could happen in 2015. but it also could go the other way, like columbus, minnesota and atlanta, which were founded 2 and 3 years prior to their inaugural season. guess we will find out, eh?

I was interesting to listen too them talk and how nervous the president was.

It's new so no one posted it on youtube yet, I'll keep checking it's something I enjoyed watching just for the insight to what they went through putting a NHL team together.

My point in the whole debate is this, The NHL is ready at a moments notice to add a franchise, They have everything the need in place and at their finger tips.

JATMtheJATM
01-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I was interesting to listen too them talk and how nervous the president was.

It's new so no one posted it on youtube yet, I'll keep checking it's something I enjoyed watching just for the insight to what they went through putting a NHL team together.

My point in the whole debate is this, The NHL is ready at a moments notice to add a franchise, They have everything the need in place and at their finger tips.

honestly, you are probably right. i just dont think they want to rush it. im betting when seattle AND quebec have their arenas done, expansion will happen. thats just my gut feeling.