PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Isn't Starting Sunday

BillsImpossible
12-26-2013, 03:34 PM
EJ took 3rd string reps today at practice. Behind Jeff Tuel. That says it all, doesn't it?

I think it's pretty obvious that EJ's not starting the last game of the season. Very disappointing. All I cared about this season was the development of EJ Manuel, and we never really saw it because of injuries.

Not good.

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Manuel-practices--no-decision-made/18052622 (http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Manuel-practices--no-decision-made/18052622)

Manuel was a limited participant during Thursday's session, but also took some team repetitions according to the head coach. During the portion of practice available to the media, Manuel was the third quarterback to take a snap during individual drills with the running backs behind Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel.

alohabillsfan
12-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Good, I need to see if Thad is the answer!

Generalissimus Gibby
12-26-2013, 04:32 PM
As long as the Tuel Man isn't behind center I can't complain.

better days
12-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Good, I need to see if Thad is the answer!

After 0 TD's 1 INT last week against the Fins, I can tell you Thad is NOT the answer.

Bangarang
12-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Marrone said EJ took 1st team reps today as we'll...

alohabillsfan
12-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Well that's depressing....

BillsFever21
12-26-2013, 10:32 PM
This game is meaningless as far as his development goes. If he's not 100% then sit him out. At least he ended his season on a good note with a win. The guy has already had 3 knee injuries in one season. No reason to chance it if he's not 100%.

These injuries have stunted any growth he may have had this season. When you're getting injured and missing time about every 5 weeks of action it only keeps putting your further behind in your development. He's only played in 10 games and it's not like they were even 10 games straight.

better days
12-26-2013, 11:10 PM
This game is meaningless as far as his development goes. If he's not 100% then sit him out. At least he ended his season on a good note with a win. The guy has already had 3 knee injuries in one season. No reason to chance it if he's not 100%.

These injuries have stunted any growth he may have had this season. When you're getting injured and missing time about every 5 weeks of action it only keeps putting your further behind in your development. He's only played in 10 games and it's not like they were even 10 games straight.

All the more reason he NEEDS to play Sunday. One more game of experience.

Historian
12-27-2013, 03:48 AM

While that may be true, he has been at all team meetings, film sessions, and the like. I think that helps somewhat, although it is certainly not as important as actual game experience.

kishoph
12-27-2013, 04:32 AM

Marrone had said earlier that this newest injury is the same one as the first one. I'm not sure if he meant that it is the same injury re-aggravated or if it's the same type of injury. If it is the first injury being re-aggravated, I would be more concerned with playing him Sunday, as I would think that injury needs more time to heal.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 05:47 AM
As long as the Tuel Man isn't behind center I can't complain.Hmmm. Led the Bills to a season high 470 yards offense against the "monster" KC defense. One bad play and he sucks.

There is a new category of moron in America today.

The NFL Fan.....and for your amusement pleasure, sports fans, a lot of them are on display everyday in this forum.

Famous Amos
12-27-2013, 06:43 AM
a caller on WGR had a pretty good argument about making Manuel play. he said that manuel doesn't deserve to be "shut down" for the last game. What has he done to merit taking the last game off so that he can get ready for next year. Fred Jackson played hurt all season. CJ Spiller has had a bum ankle for most of the season. I guarantee you many of those players are hurt in some capacity and still play to round out the season. He said Ray Lewis was quoted as you can't lead if you're not playing.
"You want to be a leader on this team? One of the best ways to show that you're with this team is to play hurt. And that's what I wanted to do -- let those guys know that I would be with them," Jackson said. Could have been aimed at the rookie QB.

In any event, Manuel still has a lot to prove and he should want to be out there with his teammates, doing anything he can to help his team win. Being a leader, with a fire burning in his belly, and a competitive nature should be what's driving his attitude about this week, not about being shut down.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Well, no one but the doctors or the team know the extent of the injury. There is a difference of playing hurt and playing injured.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Manuel is hot garbage, the sooner we move away from Jason Campbell 2.0 the better we'll be.

OLDSRIP
12-27-2013, 09:45 AM

I get what your saying about resting the knee. Makes perfect sense.

But I disagree about the game being meaningless were EJ to play.
At this point in his career he needs all the game experience he can get.
He also needs the experience in hostile environments and cold weather.

But it's a risk/reward thing. Without knowing the details of the injury it's hard to say what's best.
I think the doctors opinion is very important here.

justasportsfan
12-27-2013, 10:14 AM
As long as the Tuel Man isn't behind center I can't complain.

EJ's looked as bad as Tuel .

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Based on what? One bad game with multiple interceptions? That's hardly a fair basis. You can pick out any QB in th NFL who has done the same.

Buffalogic
12-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Based on what? One bad game with multiple interceptions? That's hardly a fair basis. You can pick out any QB in th NFL who has done the same.
Open your red eye, Manuel is not a legitimate NFL QB. He's not a game changer. He's a 'let's hope my defense and running game are good enough to hide me and squeek out a win' QB.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Open your red eye, Manuel is not a legitimate NFL QB. He's not a game changer. He's a 'let's hope my defense and running game are good enough to hide me and squeek out a win' QB.

Again, Jason Campbell 2.0

Buffalogic
12-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Again, Jason Campbell 2.0

Josh Freeman, Jason Campbell love child. All three were picked in the teens I believe during the first round. GARBAGGIO

WagonCircler
12-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Josh Freeman, Jason Campbell love child. All three were picked in the teens I believe during the first round. GARBAGGIO

You're all wrong about EJ.

He's actually the second coming.

Of Trent Edwards.

kishoph
12-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I think some of you guys need to sit down and collectively write the coaching staff of the Bills (who know everything there is to know about these 2 QB's) and tell them Thad should be the starting QB next year, because with all your couching experience, you know that he's the better QB.

jamze132
12-27-2013, 01:47 PM
If Thad wins Sunday, I'm going to have a hard time with EJ being given the job next year. Thad has outshined EJ in just about every way.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 02:10 PM
I think some of you guys need to sit down and collectively write the coaching staff of the Bills (who know everything there is to know about these 2 QB's) and tell them Thad should be the starting QB next year, because with all your couching experience, you know that he's the better QB.

Do you really need to be an NFL coach to see that the team is AT WORST, the same with Lewis in there, over Manuel?

stuckincincy
12-27-2013, 02:15 PM
If Thad wins Sunday, I'm going to have a hard time with EJ being given the job next year. Thad has outshined EJ in just about every way.

Neither one stands out. They both hover around slightly less than 78 in that qb rating thing. :cuss:

I'd worry about having to give either the job next year.

justasportsfan
12-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Thad has outshined EJ in just about every way.

I've been very critical of EJ all season but let's not get ahead of ourselves with Thad. Thad hasn't had a game like EJ had vs. the Jets' 2nd game.

kishoph
12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Do you really need to be an NFL coach to see that the team is AT WORST, the same with Lewis in there, over Manuel?

You're right, Thad was outstanding on defense last week. Three of the last four weeks Manuel has played he's been better than any game Thad has played in for the Bills.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2013, 02:36 PM
I've been very critical of EJ all season but let's not get ahead of ourselves with Thad. Thad hasn't had a game like EJ had vs. the Jets' 2nd game.

He had a good 2nd quarter and his one touchdown pass to Graham during that quarter was ugly.

After the last TD drive in the 2nd QTR the Bills had the ball 9 times, for 178 yards, 7 times the drives lasted 4 plays or less.

The defense is the reason the Bills won that game.

EJ hasn't had a good game from start to finish yet.

He's had about 2 dozen good drives all year.

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks for avoiding the question. Some of you guys aren't even giving him the chance to prove himself. Some of you scream for Thad and he hasn't done anything better than EJ.Its his first year and not even all full one. Kolb was suppose to be the guy until EJ was brought up to speed. It was stated early on he was a raw talent with a lot of upside that was going to need time to develop. So, you actually need to open your eyes and realize he is going to be at the helm next year too. That is the reality of the situation whether you like it or not.

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 04:05 PM
My last message was for Wagon Circler not Justa.

Night Train
12-27-2013, 04:09 PM

I think Marrone & Co. will still see Manuel as their starter but give Lewis and another Vet a fair shot to win the job.

Lewis is a gamer, very decisive and confident... but wildly erratic. Upside ? More accurate with reps ? He's had several uniforms already. I'm very happy with his 2 wins over Miami but can he win 10 games and take us into the playoffs deep ? Hmmm..

The Bills may still believe Manuel has a far bigger upside but will need him to prove it. He too is erratic but many rookies are and the Bills KNEW they were selecting a raw guy who needed work. That's their issue to deal with.

The pre-season injury was unfortunate but the Cleveland injury was just plain DUMB and he needs to understand that. This latest setback was never explained and nothing SHOULD be promised to him going forward. His rookie contract is peanuts.

Seattle wanted the expensive Flynn to start 2012 but a 3rd rounder (Wilson) outplayed him, proving nothing is etched in cement.

I'm not expecting anyone to start next year. I want Manuel or anyone else to win it without any doubt, rather than hand the job to someone (see Losman and Rob Johnson).

Mr. Pink
12-27-2013, 06:36 PM
JP Losman had upside too. We all know how that turned out.

Sadly, it doesn't even look like KneeJ has more upside than Losman had.

We went from Kyle Boller Jr at QB to Akili Smith Jr.

better days
12-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Well, no one but the doctors or the team know the extent of the injury. There is a difference of playing hurt and playing injured.

Agreed about the injury, but last week Marrone said he was 110% certain to play against the Pats*

How do you go from being 110% certain to play to being ruled out on FRIDAY, not even a game day decision?

I would like a GOOD explanation from Marrone about that.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Agreed about the injury, but last week Marrone said he was 110% certain to play against the Pats*

How do you go from being 110% certain to play to being ruled out on FRIDAY, not even a game day decision?

I would like a GOOD explanation from Marrone about that.Manuel had a setback? And why do you think Marrone owes you or any fan an explanation about anything? Personally, I'd tell the fans to suck it if they made that demand.

That's considering what most of our fanbase is like.

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Wow. Not even a full 10 games and you've thrown in the towel. Amazing fans right there. The Bills had another young QB once that had a measly 60% completion percentage and a passer rating of just 80% not only in his first NFL season but in his second season too. His first season he only went 4-12 and in his second season he only played 12 games due to the '87 strike splitting the win/loss column at 6-6. Guess we should have **** canned Jim Kelly too.

And while comparing the two is a bit difficult knowing now what Kelly has done for the franchise, the point is that you really don't know what you have until the situation has run its course. And the situation with EJ Manuel in Buffalo has certainly not run its course. Get over yourselves and your adolescent Madden like solutions.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Wow. Not even a full 10 games and you've thrown in the towel. Amazing fans right there. The Bills had another young QB once that had a measly 60% completion percentage and a passer rating of just 80% not only in his first NFL season but in his second season too. His first season he only went 4-12 and in his second season he only played 12 games due to the '87 strike splitting the win/loss column at 6-6. Guess we should have **** canned Jim Kelly too.

And while comparing the two is a bit difficult knowing now what Kelly has done for the franchise, the point is that you really don't know what you have until the situation has run its course. And the situation with EJ Manuel in Buffalo has certainly not run its course. Get over yourselves and your adolescent Madden like solutions.Well, in '89 there were a lot of Bills' Fans that wanted to run Kelly out of town on a rail.

That tells ya something.

better days
12-27-2013, 10:02 PM

In 10 games played, EJ: 11 TD's 2 TD's rushing. 9 Int's 3 fumbles

In 5 games player Thad: 3 TD's 1 TD rushing 3 Int's 3 Fumbles.

If you extrapolate Thad's numbers over 10 games : 6 TD's 2 TD's rushing 6 Int's 6 fumbles.

Based on those numbers, EJ has almost twice the number of TD's that Thad has.

EJ is by far the better QB between the two of them.

Skooby
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM
EJ can't handle the playbook & has horrible footwork right now, staying healthy has also been an issue. We need a QB with great balance, a leader & the ability to read the play book. That man isn't on our roster right now.

better days
12-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Manuel had a setback? And why do you think Marrone owes you or any fan an explanation about anything? Personally, I'd tell the fans to suck it if they made that demand.

That's considering what most of our fanbase is like.

A setback? From 110% positive to play?

I'm not buying that or Marrone was STUPID for saying EJ was 110% sure to play if there was ANY doubt about it.

Skooby
12-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Manuel may not start again either.

mybills
12-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Bills fans were ragging on EJ after the 1st game, so it doesn't surprise me that some are still ragging on him. If you're looking at just QB play for this game against NE, plus you've watched NE games all season, then you know it won't matter who the Bills have at the helm. Brady has been very off in every game this year, yes, I've seen them all. Even his players won't high five him like they used to. I don't see an automatic win for NE. I see a defensive battle on both sides. Just my 2 cents.

Meathead
12-28-2013, 10:20 AM
good post beth

btw congrats on making it to 81!

mybills
12-28-2013, 10:28 AM
I wish they would use Easley more.