PDA

View Full Version : Go get Cutler

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Yeah, that's right. Go sign him. Before you, as a Bills fan, have the audacity to frown upon him, after the piles of **** we've rolled out at QB since Kelly, wake up. I'm not ready to dump Manuel, he can still be the backup and hopefully the eventual starter some day. However, this defense is just about elite. Another LBer or so away. The pieces are in place. The running game is really good (how many 200 yard days now?). Get another WR and maybe a TE in the draft and a QB like Cutler and there is no doubt they are contending or in a playoff spot. The QB spot is holding this team back. It's painfully obvious. We have a small window where our defense is plenty good enough, and there are some nice pieces on offense.

If Cutler was this teams QB we'd at worst be still alive going into this weekend. He would be the best QB we've had here in over a decade. He's a good QB. Let's do it, and go end this ****ing playoff streak and not worry about hurting a guys feelings or waiting 3 years to "hope" this guy pans out.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 07:38 AM
We await the second coming of Joe Ferguson.

Super Bowl!!!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Cutler really doesn't blow me away. Look at his stats. Nothing spectacular.

Of course he would elevate the team right away but I just don't see him as a guy that would take us to the elite level.

It would remind me of the reincarnation of Drew Bledsoe, and in fact I think Bledsoe was a better player.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Cutler really doesn't blow me away. Look at his stats. Nothing spectacular.

Of course he would elevate the team right away but I just don't see him as a guy that would take us to the elite level.

It would remind me of the reincarnation of Drew Bledsoe, and in fact I think Bledsoe was a better player.

Cutler has had seasons that would have broken Bills single season records already. Is he Manning, Rodgers, Brady or Brees? No. However he's the best option out there and gives us the best chance to win NOW.

I can't believe how picky Bills fans are about QBs when we've had nothing but complete garbage at the positions for 15 years. Everyone wants the top elite guy, well if it were that easy everyone would have one. He's a really good QB who could be available, go get him and be done with it.

alnilla
12-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Yeah because the Bears are gonna let him go please

DynaPaul
12-27-2013, 07:49 AM
I like Cutler but he's too up and down. He can have an awesome game that totally blows you away but drop a head-scratching stinker the next week. He hasn't been super durable lately either. There's no doubt that he has the arm and the talent but, like Thurmanator said, his signing would be Bledsoe part II.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Cutler is a crybaby. Most Bills Fans see him for what he is. A good QB that can't get you over the hump. I don't know why anyone would want to pay the huge dollars it would take to get him.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Cutler is a crybaby. Most Bills Fans see him for what he is. A good QB that can't get you over the hump. I don't know why anyone would want to pay the huge dollars it would take to get him.

So what's your plan to get us to the playoffs as soon as possible? I don't think there is a better option out there. I can't wait to hear it.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Cutler has had seasons that would have broken Bills single season records already. Is he Manning, Rodgers, Brady or Brees? No. However he's the best option out there and gives us the best chance to win NOW.

I can't believe how picky Bills fans are about QBs when we've had nothing but complete garbage at the positions for 15 years. Everyone wants the top elite guy, well if it were that easy everyone would have one. He's a really good QB who could be available, go get him and be done with it.

When were these seasons? What records?

I see one year where he had 4500 yards yet only 25 TDs and 18 ints

I want a QB worse than anyone but I would rather just develop EJ. I learned my lesson with Bledsoe.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 08:08 AM
So what's your plan to get us to the playoffs as soon as possible? I don't think there is a better option out there. I can't wait to hear it.You said it all right there. "As soon as possible". Impatience breeds reaching for a player that really isn't a good fit and would cost too much.

The plan is "stay the course". Bring in another young QB in the third round. I'm still amused by some Bills' Fans mentality concerning Manuel, Thad Lewis or even Tuel.

Yep, they suck, next.

You can't judge a QB based on a year or even two. Numerous examples have been cited already, so I won't go into them again.

You want what you think will be a quick fix. They seldom work out.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Yeah, that's right. Go sign him. Before you, as a Bills fan, have the audacity to frown upon him, after the piles of **** we've rolled out at QB since Kelly, wake up. I'm not ready to dump Manuel, he can still be the backup and hopefully the eventual starter some day. However, this defense is just about elite. Another LBer or so away. The pieces are in place. The running game is really good (how many 200 yard days now?). Get another WR and maybe a TE in the draft and a QB like Cutler and there is no doubt they are contending or in a playoff spot. The QB spot is holding this team back. It's painfully obvious. We have a small window where our defense is plenty good enough, and there are some nice pieces on offense.

Ive been saying for weeks...

Cutler
Mike Evans WR in the 1st
Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina or Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech in the 1st with the pick from trading Byrd.

=

Playoffs

I'd rather have Rivers.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:13 AM
When were these seasons? What records?

I see one year where he had 4500 yards yet only 25 TDs and 18 ints

I want a QB worse than anyone but I would rather just develop EJ. I learned my lesson with Bledsoe.

4500 yards would be a single season Bills record. 700 yards more than Kelly ever even threw for. He could also be 2nd and tied for 3rd in passing TDs in a season in franchise history, behind only Jim Kelly.

Bledsoe was just getting out of his prime when we got him and even so, he was the best we had since Kelly, to date. Yet we still wanna be picky, and even wait on a guy who clearly will never be on the Bledsoe, Cutler level. Amazing. Let's waste another year next year "hoping this guy develops" into something above average. Whats the rush, right?

coastal
12-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Impatience breeds reaching for a player that really isn't a good fit and would cost too much.
:rofl:

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:14 AM
". Impatience breeds reaching for a player that really isn't a good fit a

Oh, so Manuel you mean. Drafting a QB in a **** year for QBs just to get one.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Ive been saying for weeks...

Cutler
Mike Evans WR in the 1st
Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina or Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech in the 1st with the pick from trading Byrd.

=

Playoffs

No doubt, I agree. We'd be in and nobody would be thinking twice about this or Manuel or anything because all that matters right now is winning football games.

We are not in a position to sacrifice seasons for one guy. Not when you haven't been in the playoffs in 14 ****ing years.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Also, comparing Jim Kelly's stats to JayBoy is ridiculous. If Kelly, Marino or Elway played today, they would have 20,000 more passing yards than they already have.

Combine that with the fact that Kelly could fit Cutler's heart in a little hand warmer pouch and there ya go.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 08:21 AM
No doubt, I agree. We'd be in and nobody would be thinking twice about this or Manuel or anything because all that matters right now is winning football games.

We are not in a position to sacrifice seasons for one guy. Not when you haven't been in the playoffs in 14 ****ing years.:rofl:

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 08:23 AM
4500 yards would be a single season Bills record. 700 yards more than Kelly ever even threw for. He could also be 2nd and tied for 3rd in passing TDs in a season in franchise history, behind only Jim Kelly.

Bledsoe was just getting out of his prime when we got him and even so, he was the best we had since Kelly, to date. Yet we still wanna be picky, and even wait on a guy who clearly will never be on the Bledsoe, Cutler level. Amazing. Let's waste another year next year "hoping this guy develops" into something above average. Whats the rush, right?

And Cutler would just be getting out of his prime. Almost the same exact scenario.

There is just something off about Cutler. He has mega talent but yet Denver let him go with no one else in waiting.

Now after years of not getting Chicago over the hump and almost getting benched in favor of Josh McCown he is wearing out his welcome in Chicago. Yep lets take other people's trash yet again. Thats what we do we are the Buffalo Bills.

NO THANKS

I would much rather continue to develop EJ.
I would love to grab another young QB to challenge EJ in 3rd round or so.
I would most certainly keep Lewis.

We have been waiting so long why not just do it right and not go for the quick fix.

Sounds like Uncle Jesse has been listening to Mike Schopp too long. Unless I want to know about tennis (which I never would) I don't really care what Schopp has to say.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:33 AM
And Cutler would just be getting out of his prime. Almost the same exact scenario.

There is just something off about Cutler. He has mega talent but yet Denver let him go with no one else in waiting.

Now after years of not getting Chicago over the hump and almost getting benched in favor of Josh McCown he is wearing out his welcome in Chicago. Yep lets take other people's trash yet again. Thats what we do we are the Buffalo Bills.

NO THANKS

I would much rather continue to develop EJ.
I would love to grab another young QB to challenge EJ in 3rd round or so.
I would most certainly keep Lewis.

We have been waiting so long why not just do it right and not go for the quick fix.

Sounds like Uncle Jesse has been listening to Mike Schopp too long. Unless I want to know about tennis (which I never would) I don't really care what Schopp has to say.

It's going to be great watching Cutler in the playoffs, while we sit and hope a guy who did nothing in college and has looked barely average at best turns out to be a franchise QB. I'm sure it's going to work out well! This franchise has a great track record when it comes to a plan at QB.

You people have zero clue.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Aaron Rodgers will tear up the Bears. They won't make the playoffs.

I had great fun watching him in a must win game get destroyed 54 to 11 last week.

I am on the same page with you in regards to wanting a franchise QB, but your clamoring for a guy like Cutler seems more clueless than anything else written in this thread however. He just doesn't have what it takes.

Who else can we get? Is anyone else available? I am willing to listen.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I would love to see Cutler go from two beast WRs in Jeffrey and Marshall to mini mights like Stevie, Graham, and Goodwin by the way.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Aaron Rodgers will tear up the Bears. They won't make the playoffs.

I had great fun watching him in a must win game get destroyed 54 to 11 last week.

I am on the same page with you in regards to wanting a franchise QB, but your clamoring for a guy like Cutler seems more clueless than anything else written in this thread however. He just doesn't have what it takes.

Who else can we get? Is anyone else available? I am willing to listen.

The Bears defense is record setting bad. The Packers will likely win, you're right about that.

Cutler is the best option available, which is why I'm in favor of him. If there was a better option, I'd be all for that as well.

better days
12-27-2013, 09:10 AM
The Bears defense is record setting bad. The Packers will likely win, you're right about that.

Cutler is the best option available, which is why I'm in favor of him. If there was a better option, I'd be all for that as well.

Except I don't think Cutler is really available.

I expect the Bears to resign him.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Ok I do see where you are coming from and I agree with it. I am just not huge on Cutler. We could do worse for sure but I just am not sold.

Of course if we do sign him I will be at the airport to greet him in my brand new Cutler jersey!!

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Except I don't think Cutler is really available.

I expect the Bears to resign him.

Also correct. This could all be for nothing. It seems 50/50 right now.

justasportsfan
12-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Cutler would cost too much just to play 8 games/ year

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I'd much rather have a decent QB coach to help develop the young talent...especially if there are any plans to draft another next season (which I highly doubt). I think Hackett is sub par at developing QBs and should really focus harder on the overall offensive plan if he is to stick around.

There is a delicate situation here that can't be ignored. You mentioned not giving up on EJ, but if you bring in a player like Cutler, you might as well write EJs development off and send him on his way. Cutler is likely not going to come to Buffalo to compete for the starting job. He'll prefer a scenerio where he knows he will be injected immediately behind center. He's not going to want to be second string. Like it or not he Bills are vested in Manuel and no one has seen enough of him to say whether or not he can be the future. Next year will be a different story. If he shows no sign of growth then, then obviously there is reason for concern. It's then fans can continue on with the hate and the "I told you so".

Look I'm as frustrated as anyone and truly believe this team is a consistent QB away from making the playoffs. But the reality is that this is Manuel's offense to lose - NEXT SEASON.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm not opposed to Cutler, but I don't know that he would justify what he'd make on the open market. Yes, he might be the best option available but there are other teams who pretty desperately need a QB too, and they will be bidding against us. The Browns, Vikings, Texans, Raiders, and even the Jets might not all have the cap space to sign him, but I think they might push him too high.

That said, I am more than willing to take a QB in round 1 this year.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 10:26 AM
It's going to be great watching Cutler in the playoffs, while we sit and hope a guy who did nothing in college and has looked barely average at best turns out to be a franchise QB. I'm sure it's going to work out well! This franchise has a great track record when it comes to a plan at QB.

You people have zero clue.Speaking of clues, are you the "Uncle Jesse" from "The Dukes Of Hazard" or the one from "Sponge Bob Squarepants"? I'm guessing the later.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Speaking of clues, are you the "Uncle Jesse" from "The Dukes Of Hazard" or the one from "Sponge Bob Squarepants"? I'm guessing the later.

Or from Full House??????

Bill Cody
12-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah because the Bears are gonna let him go please

I think they will let him go for 2 simple reasons:

1) the team played just as well with Josh McCown in there as Cutler
2) the fans of Chicago are luke warm on Cutler at best. Why? because they love tough players and Cutler is perceived as pillow soft.

My take? He's an average QB, nothing more nothing less. I think he's a clear upgrade over where Manuel is now, no question, but I can't see him winning a championship. And that's what I'm interested in finding. So I'm in the "pass" camp.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Cutler would have this team playing a meaningful football game this Sunday.

That alone would be a refreshing change of pace.

Historian
12-27-2013, 11:00 AM
I always liked Cutler, and thought he was treated unfairly in Denver.

He seemed to pick up the pro game really fast, and is a decent size guy for the position. If he has an achilles heel it is that he isn't much of a team player.

JMO.

All that said, we should not, and probably are not, shopping for a QB.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Also, Manuel is made of glass anyway, so a backup/developmental role is best for him.

justasportsfan
12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Also, Manuel is made of glass anyway.

Cutler isn't?

Meathead
12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
the coaching background that marrone comes from likes to develop their own qbs. that means most likely they will never go for a real free agent starter bc they would rather keep at least two qb roster spots for young guys and use middling veterans (ie. no long term committments like kolb) for spot duty. thats just the way its always gonna be with them and when it works out its often spectacular and gives them homegrown backups ready to step in or take over as necessary. but it does take a while that way

i said before the season and i still think that it was a monumental error not either hiring a real qb coach or at least putting a solid veteran at qb2/3 to provide lockerroom mentoring - preferrably both. if they had dedicated hackett to qb coaching (oc in name only) and let marrone call the plays that would have been fine i guess but they didnt, they have hackett calling plays AND doing qb coaching, meaning hes doing two full time jobs PLUS trying to fill the role of the on-field veteran mentor. no wonder ej has struggled bc he doesnt have somebody specializing their attention on just him, hackett has to work on the entire offense including coaching and gameplanning, as well as trying to teach ej what being an nfl qb is all about when hes never been one himself. i think it was exceedingly arrogant of both marrone and hackett to think they are the brilliant whizzes that know better than the rest of the nfl about qb coaches/mentors. i sincerely hope theyve learned their lesson and go out and get either a real oc or a real qb coach. i would cream my jeans if they brought chan back as oc, tho thatll never happen

its prolly too late to take up a roster spot with a vet qb mentor, tho thats a possibility if the perfect guy comes available and they can land him. but if that player is a legit starting possibility why would they come here? ej is far from an official bust so any vet knows hes really just holding the fort or auditioning for a future job. kolb was perfect bc he had almost worn out his starting shot in the nfl and was desperate. same thing for flynn or maybe leinart. tjax was past that point and was more of the quality career backup, as was fitz, and they appear to be past the point that would be worth a roster spot

honestly i think they screwed up with their whole qb coaching structure and now really have to just forge ahead with ej. they lost valuable mental development time but now that its over they can still definitely recover. it probably stunted ejs growth more than his time missed due to injuries, but he did get valuable time in games and the system. theyve got a whole offseason to work with him and we should see a big jump in his production next season

like it or not, its most likely going to be stay the course with the current qbs

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2013, 11:42 AM
the coaching background that marrone comes from likes to develop their own qbs. that means most likely they will never go for a real free agent starter bc they would rather keep at least two qb roster spots for young guys and use middling veterans (ie. no long term committments like kolb) for spot duty. thats just the way its always gonna be

Er, Doug Marrone's greatest success story came with a free agent QB. Indeed, it came from the most successful free agent QB ever.

Meathead
12-27-2013, 11:45 AM
i said usually. beleed me, if brees 2 comes available and they can land him they definitely will. but thats like a once or twice a decade opportunity and with prolly half the league trying to get them the chances are super slim

its not brilliant waiting for the next brees or manning to come available. its just dumb luck

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2013, 11:52 AM
i said usually. beleed me, if brees 2 comes available and they can land him they definitely will. but thats like a once or twice a decade opportunity and with prolly half the league trying to get them the chances are super slim

Nobody thought Brees was a hall of famer when he hit the free agent market. He was a guy who had some interesting years in San Diego, but there were still serious concerns about his size, his massive shoulder injury, and whether he was a product of Tomlinson. Indeed, multiple teams (including the Dolphins, thankfully) passed on him.

If Cutler hits the market, and I doubt he will, he'll likely be healthier and with no questions about his physical tools like Brees had. Frankly, I'd be floored if he took less than 90 million.

sukie
12-27-2013, 12:47 PM

its not brilliant waiting for the next brees or manning to come available. its just dumb luck

Agreed. I would wager on a few more Culpepper's happening way before another Brees.

BertSquirtgum
12-27-2013, 12:54 PM
I would love to see Cutler go from two beast WRs in Jeffrey and Marshall to mini mights like Stevie, Graham, and Goodwin by the way.

So would I. So would I.

PromoTheRobot
12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Please sign Cutler. We need Fitz V2.0. Open the dictionary and the definition of "average" has Cutler's picture. Let's sign another reject.

PTR

Jry44
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Being out performed by Josh-****ing-McCown isn't really the best endorsement for going out and throwing a ton of money at a guy to run your team. We're better off seeing what Ej Manuel is next season and using the money not wasted on Jay Cutler to address other positional needs, and to hopefully resign Jairus Byrd.

Meathead
12-27-2013, 04:45 PM
personally i thought it was a big mistake by sd to let brees go in the first place. i know they had rivers waiting but it still seemed dumb to let brees go for nuthin. i didnt expect hof levels out of him but he was still quite good. he was indeed an injury risk after that major shoulder surgery but it was a good gamble to take imo. when miami chose culpepper instead i was relieved, tho admittedly i thought he would be better than he was there

still it was as much dumb luck as it was brilliance to end up with him in new orl. if the bills get a chance like that im sure they would take it but again its just quite unlikely to happen. i just dont see anybody out there thats close to that kind of risk/reward enough to supplant ej. cutler sure doesnt seem like that guy to me

BillsFever21
12-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Between his injuries, age and lack of success there isn't any way he would be worth the kind of money it would take to sign him. We sign him and we need to let other good players walk or not bring in some other players. Cutler is 5-5 in his starts this season and the team played better with Josh McCown. Cutler usually crumbles after the first month or so of the season.

Skooby
12-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Another injury prone QB?

Generalissimus Gibby
12-28-2013, 12:19 PM
We await the second coming of Joe Ferguson.

Super Bowl!!!!!!!

Funny, I'd rather have a second coming of that Jack Kemp feller. He didn't seem so bad.

pmoon6
12-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Funny, I'd rather have a second coming of that Jack Kemp feller. He didn't seem so bad.I would have rather kept Daryl Lamonica.