PDA

View Full Version : Pettine buzz as a HC candidate has just begun

Jeff1220
12-27-2013, 08:34 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131226/black-monday-primer-coaches-gms-2013/?eref=sihp

Detroit -- Gone are the Lions' playoff chances, and alas, the consensus is that soon enough, so will be head coach Jim Schwartz. Detroit will never get a better chance to win the NFC North than it received this season, and the Lions still went down in a flaming heap of self-destruction, losing five out of six after a 6-3 start.

Detroit has talent and will be a pretty good situation for any new coach to inherit, but you'd assume the Lions will be looking for a no-nonsense coach who can instill a sense of order and discipline to a team beset by turnovers, penalties and blown fourth-quarter leads. They could do worse than booking an interview for Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer or Buffalo's Mike Pettine, or throwing a stupid number/salary offer at Penn State's Bill O'Brien.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131226/black-monday-primer-coaches-gms-2013/#ixzz2ogcZkhj1

I'm kinda hoping the Bills get at least one, maybe two, more years out of him before he heads out to other opportunities.

Uncle Jesse
12-27-2013, 08:47 AM
I fully expect him gone after the 2014 season. Especially if we miss the playoffs again, he'll want out.

better days
12-27-2013, 08:48 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131226/black-monday-primer-coaches-gms-2013/?eref=sihp

I'm kinda hoping the Bills get at least one, maybe two, more years out of him before he heads out to other opportunities.

When he does become a HC, a matter of time IMO, I hope it is in the NFC.

When that happens, I would like to see a current coach elevated to DC & keep the same system in place rather than to bring in an outsider.

Jeff1220
12-27-2013, 08:55 AM
If he goes this year, they could always bring in Rex to run the same system. :couch:

:jetsuck:

lightningbolt444
12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I honestly dont see him getting a look this year. I think one more year and he will get a look.

He is going to be a hard sell to the fans that dont watch a lot of football. He is the DC of the Buffalo Bills who had a losing record sell that to a fanbase.

He learned under Rex Ryan again dont think that is an easy sell either because people either love him or hate him.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Well if Marrone is a good HC, he gotta be able to do guys like Cowher do and churn out HC's in NFL. To me, finding good assistant coaches is a must skill for a HC. At least he knows what the defense should look like and knows what he should look for.

To me, I'm more impressed with Pettine's knowledge of AFC East teams than anything else. I heard so many times the players said what Pettine told them what might happen actually happened in games against divisional opponents. Against other opponents, not so much. I'd not be surprised those were carryovers from Rex and the Jets. And I have always appreciated Rex's defensive knowledge and implementation.

I of course want to see Pettine stay with the Bills and I believe he's probably the best candidate for the Bills to shutdown Brady in any Bills games against NE. I do feel he has a lot to prove even at the overall defensive side. But from the interview he's been given, he seems to have some personnel skills that he needs as a HC.

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 09:45 AM
This would be horrible. This team needs consistency.

Night Train
12-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Talk on a website = He's gone

Right....and Lovie Smith is coaching where ?

Thief
12-27-2013, 10:05 AM
If Marrone can't right the ship and/or get the offense on track by the end of next year we may just have to promote Pettine. But if all timed out when Rex Ryan is fired I wouldn't mind him replacing Pettine.

justasportsfan
12-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Although Pettines D is one of the top pass rushing teams, it's been inconsistent in the running game and it also tends to give up big plays.

psubills62
12-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Would love for him to stay, but this is generally what happens with good coordinators.

BertSquirtgum
12-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Pettine isn't going anywhere.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Would love for him to stay, but this is generally what happens with good coordinators.

And how many good coordinators we had in the last 14 years that went on to be HCs? How about a big donut?

BillsFever21
12-27-2013, 03:54 PM
He may get some interviews this season but I doubt he will get a HC job. If he did then those entertaining the idea of bring in Rex Ryan to replace him should forget about that. He would command a salary around the same amount that Doug Marrone is getting. There is no way Ralph will pay that price for a coordinator. He never has and I don't see that changing now.

YardRat
12-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Although Pettines D is one of the top pass rushing teams, it's been inconsistent in the running game and it also tends to give up big plays.

That's more due to execution than it is scheme, IMO. Need a MLB that's heavier in the ass, and a FS that buys into stopping the run from the cover 1.

Meathead
12-27-2013, 04:58 PM
i seriously doubt pettine has enough cred to get a hc job in the nfl just yet. leading the league in sacks doesnt mean much when your on a sub-500 team and routinely giving up big plays at key moments that helped get you there. after next season when the bills are challenging the cheaters for the division seems a lot more likely

psubills62
12-28-2013, 09:45 PM
And how many good coordinators we had in the last 14 years that went on to be HCs? How about a big donut?
Guess I'm not sure what your point is? I haven't followed our coordinators for 14 years, but in the time I've seen, we rarely have any coordinators that are worthy of the coordinator spot, much less a HC position.

Novacane
12-29-2013, 07:28 AM

Good coordinators from winning teams. I'd be shocked if we lost Pettine this year.

X-Era
12-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Probably gone soon. Maybe not this off-season. Hopefully, he's teaching someone how to run a defense.

I'd think long and hard about him as our HC if Marrone has another questionable year next year.

BertSquirtgum
12-29-2013, 05:38 PM
I hate this team

Novacane
12-29-2013, 05:53 PM
No one is going to hire a DC from a 6-10 team that can't stop the run.

kingJofNYC
12-29-2013, 06:07 PM

To be fair, no matter what coordinator we have, since Pat Williams left this team is putrid against the run. That simple really, you can't hide soft ass DL.

Fletch
12-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Maybe we'll promote him to asst. head coach.

Novacane
12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
He's not even getting an interview imo.

BertSquirtgum
12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
This thread is pure foolishness.

Novacane
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Bills fans way overrating him because he's not Dave mustache

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is pure foolishness.

I wish I could thank this post more than once!

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Wanny will have another HC job before Pettine will ever get one.

FYI neither will ever happen.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 06:44 PM
In fact, if Chudzinski is fired in Cleveland, Marrone should call up Ray Horton immediately and try to persuade him to come to Buffalo to be the DC. That's how much I think of Pettine.

Beebe's Kid
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
That's more due to execution than it is scheme, IMO. Need a MLB that's heavier in the ass, and a FS that buys into stopping the run from the cover 1.
Another shot at Byrd. At least you are consistent in wanting to get rid of good players. Go Ralph!!

Beebe's Kid
12-29-2013, 06:48 PM
But you are right...Alonso and Byrd certainly need to be upgraded...

That was sarcasm. It is hard to tell what is serious here sometimes.

Like if EJ can't throw a football, and all he needs to do is work on some footwork.

RedEyE
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Pettine needs to answer for this 300 rushing yard atrocity today. You would have thought they would have come back in the 2nd half and made defensive adjustments. No. Same **** different sandwich.

BertSquirtgum
12-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Definitely a disgusting display of defense today. They did hold them when it mattered though.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 07:15 PM

No way, now how.

BillsFever21
12-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Pettine as a HC next year is a good one. He needs to prove himself as a DC first. He had the title in NY but it was Rex Ryan's defense and he controlled most of it. This is his first real test on his own with mixed results.

That's like saying Doug Marrone was the mastermind behind the Saints offense and bringing out the best in Drew Brees. Marrone had the name in title but it was Payton's offense and him controlling it.