PDA

View Full Version : Good Quarterbacks Don't Need Great Recievers To Be Good

BillsImpossible
12-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Just draft a big fast WR and a big fast TE next year, shore up the O-line with free agency and the Bills offense is all set.

Right?

I'd like to think so, but even if the Bills have a good offensive line, good defense, good running backs, and a good wide receiving corps, the guy pulling the trigger is the only one who can make them great or playoff worthy.

The Bills offense needs more than just a big fast WR, TE and help on the o-line next year.

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Flacco, and Roethlisberger all make something out of nothing. That's why they're practically football, "gods." They make big plays happen out of nothing to the benefit of their receivers.

Rogers has proven what happens to a wide receivers statistics after getting injured.

Julian Edelman, all 5'10 and 198 lbs of him has 96 catches for 991 yards and 6 TD's for the Pats.

He bought Tom Brady a BMW for Christmas, or at least he seriously should have.

Would Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison have huge stats without Manning?

Jim Kelly made Steve Tasker look like a very good receiver.

Who were the starting wide receivers for Baltimore last year? I honestly can't name one.

Jerry Rice was great. He had a great quarterback. Put him on a team without Joe Montana, like New Orleans back in the 80's and I don't think Jerry Rice has the same career with Dave Wilson.

What if Andre Reed was drafted by the Patriots? Tony Eason and Steve Grogan were the QB's.

Gone are the days of drafting a QB and, "grooming them," for 2 or 3 years. When a team has a player like Brett Favre, they can afford to groom their future QB. The Patriots can afford to groom Ryan Mallett. The Bills can't afford to groom EJ Manuel. They need to find the next Russell Wilson, or the next Andy Dalton - a rookie QB that can step in and take them to the playoffs, without getting injured.

Picture the Bills playing next year with 5 Pro Bowlers on the offensive line, 2 Pro Bowl running backs, a 25 years old Jerry Rice, a 27 years old Tony Gonzalez, a 24 years old Randy Moss, and a 28 year old Wes Welker in the slot.

Now picture EJ Manuel throwing the ball to them.

I so hope to the football gods that EJ Manuel proves his detractors wrong next year.

lightningbolt444
12-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Andy Dalton is not a very good qb at all. Wilson was sheltered most of last season

Very few QBs in this league came right in and played without any grooming .

All of the gods you listed sat a few a seasons or were sheltered by game plan or great defenses.

People and the media are crazy to think a qb can come in and play great right away. Just because one or two guys have done it the last few seasons does not make it the norm it is still the exception .

Ginger Vitis
12-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Who were the starting wide receivers for Baltimore last year? I honestly can't name one.

You don't remember that Anquan Boldin was a Raven last year?

Night Train
12-27-2013, 09:00 PM
God almighty. How many aliases do you have here ?

Do you have 14 usernames ?

RedEyE
12-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes the Bills should go out and get themselves a "football God" because there are so many to be had. Why wait? Get one Saturday so he can play the Pats on Sunday! Jaysus f'n crimmney.

Skooby
12-27-2013, 10:34 PM
If no one is open, then I guess the QB runs.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Andy Dalton is not a very good qb at all. Wilson was sheltered most of last season

All of the gods you listed sat a few a seasons or were sheltered by game plan or great defenses.

People and the media are crazy to think a qb can come in and play great right away. Just because one or two guys have done it the last few seasons does not make it the norm it is still the exception .

I can't imagine how they could possible shelter EJ any further. They installed a high-speed, option heavy gameplan specifically to take advantage of his athleticism and simplify his defensive reads.

TacklingDummy
12-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Just draft a big fast WR and a big fast TE next year, shore up the O-line with free agency and the Bills offense is all set.

Right?

I'd like to think so, but even if the Bills have a good offensive line, good defense, good running backs, and a good wide receiving corps, the guy pulling the trigger is the only one who can make them great or playoff worthy.

The Bills offense needs more than just a big fast WR, TE and help on the o-line next year.

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Flacco, and Roethlisberger all make something out of nothing. That's why they're practically football, "gods." They make big plays happen out of nothing to the benefit of their receivers.

Rogers has proven what happens to a wide receivers statistics after getting injured.

Julian Edelman, all 5'10 and 198 lbs of him has 96 catches for 991 yards and 6 TD's for the Pats.

He bought Tom Brady a BMW for Christmas, or at least he seriously should have.

Would Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison have huge stats without Manning?

Jim Kelly made Steve Tasker look like a very good receiver.

Jerry Rice was great. He had a great quarterback. Put him on a team without Joe Montana, like New Orleans back in the 80's and I don't think Jerry Rice has the same career with Dave Wilson.

What if Andre Reed was drafted by the Patriots? Tony Eason and Steve Grogan were the QB's.

Gone are the days of drafting a QB and, "grooming them," for 2 or 3 years. When a team has a player like Brett Favre, they can afford to groom their future QB. The Patriots can afford to groom Ryan Mallett. The Bills can't afford to groom EJ Manuel. They need to find the next Russell Wilson, or the next Andy Dalton - a rookie QB that can step in and take them to the playoffs, without getting injured.

Picture the Bills playing next year with 5 Pro Bowlers on the offensive line, 2 Pro Bowl running backs, a 25 years old Jerry Rice, a 27 years old Tony Gonzalez, a 24 years old Randy Moss, and a 28 year old Wes Welker in the slot.

Now picture EJ Manuel throwing the ball to them.

I so hope to the football gods that EJ Manuel proves his detractors wrong next year.

Ive been saying this for years.

Get a QB and everything else will fall into place.

Even the Defense will get better.

KneeJ had 135 drivers this year, 92 of those were for 5 plays or less.
Imagine what our Defense could do if they got a rest once in awhile?

mybills
12-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Peyton can throw to anyone, anywhere.
Brady needs contortionists to catch his deep passes.

Owen DeBoard
12-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Peyton can throw to anyone, anywhere.
Brady needs contortionists to catch his deep passes.
He also needs WRs that can get YAC like the Welkers Edlemans and Branchs. It all depends on the system the teams run for a QB.

mybills
12-28-2013, 10:56 AM
...and Gronk is out..yay!

kishoph
12-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Flacco's a football God ?
Kelly made Tasker look like a good receiver ? All 51 of his career receptions.

The Jokeman
12-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Ive been saying this for years.

Get a QB and everything else will fall into place.

Even the Defense will get better.

KneeJ had 135 drivers this year, 92 of those were for 5 plays or less.
Imagine what our Defense could do if they got a rest once in awhile?

Imagine if there were message boards in the days of Jim Kelly's rookie year. Despite his USFL experience he won a whopping 4 games as a rookie, had a completion percentage of 59.4% threw 17 INTs and was sacked 43 times, and heck in his second year he only managed to lead us to a .500 record. Most QBs struggle early on.

BillsFever21
12-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Andy Dalton isn't elite but he's far from "not very good" among his peers. The Bengals couldn't make the playoffs two years in a row during the tenure of Marvin Lewis until Dalton was drafted. He stepped in as a rookie and they have made the playoffs all three of his seasons. He has 31 TD passes this year. I think everyone on here would take that.

Same thing with Russell Wilson. He isn't in the top tier of QB's but he's also in the next class after them. They didn't ask him to do too much his rookie year but he still had 26 TD's and is also performing again this season. It's not like he has the best supporting cast around him at WR either. They don't put the game on his shoulders but he makes the plays needed and succeeds within their system both passing and running.

I'm not discounting Manuel from ever developing into a decent QB but everyone here would sign up right now for him to be as good as Dalton or Wilson come next season. They are both already in the 2nd tier of QB's and at best that's what Manuel will ever be.

BillsFever21
12-28-2013, 03:36 PM
And the top QB's don't need great WR's to be good. Your 2nd tier QB's need help around them but your top guys in the league don't. Whoever is at WR for guys like Rodgers, Manning and Brady excel while they're there. Many of them don't do a thing after they leave.

If you paired our WR's with them type of QB's then they would look like a good unit and the QB's wouldn't miss a beat. Brady may have the worse set of WR's in the league this season but he is still doing alright and will lead them to a first round bye.

Mouldsie
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Are we comparing Andy Dalton to RUSSELL Wilson?

Manuel sucks. Dalton sucks. Next man up please.

BillsImpossible
12-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Flacco's a football God ?
Kelly made Tasker look like a good receiver ? All 51 of his career receptions.

Flacco's got a ring. Rob Johnson has a ring too, but he didn't win it. Any quarterback that has taken their team to the playoffs multiple times and won a Super Bowl is elite. He's a lot like Eli Manning, kind of under the radar but can win a Super Bowl or two.

Tasker caught a TD pass in the corner of the endzone during a playoff game against the Fish and I was right in front of it! Damn that had to hurt. Yes, I have a bias there, but I don't think the coaching staff would have ever considered Tasker to be a wide receiver if Jim Kelly wasn't their quarterback.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XKc2EeIdzPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
12-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Now that's a f12king quarterback.

BillsImpossible
12-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Are we comparing Andy Dalton to RUSSELL Wilson?

Manuel sucks. Dalton sucks. Next man up please.

Ever since Dalton was drafted, he's taken his team to the playoffs. How can you say he sucks?

Mouldsie
12-28-2013, 04:35 PM
He has the best group of skill players around him in the NFL and a great defense and coaching staff as well. I dont think he sucks I guess but he's no better than average

BillsImpossible
12-28-2013, 04:54 PM
He has the best group of skill players around him in the NFL and a great defense and coaching staff as well. I dont think he sucks I guess but he's no better than average

We're going to find out soon enough if Dalton is the real deal. People were questioning Flacco in the same way.

I think the Bengals are going to the AFC Championship game against Denver.

Mouldsie
12-28-2013, 05:04 PM
I think Flacco is an average to above average QB who went on one of the all time best hot streaks in NFL history, and got some help from a FS who couldnt play the ball

kishoph
12-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Flacco's got a ring. Rob Johnson has a ring too, but he didn't win it. Any quarterback that has taken their team to the playoffs multiple times and won a Super Bowl is elite. He's a lot like Eli Manning, kind of under the radar but can win a Super Bowl or two.

Tasker caught a TD pass in the corner of the endzone during a playoff game against the Fish and I was right in front of it! Damn that had to hurt. Yes, I have a bias there, but I don't think the coaching staff would have ever considered Tasker to be a wide receiver if Jim Kelly wasn't their quarterback.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XKc2EeIdzPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So Flacco has a ring = football God, Trent Dilfer has a ring. Tasker caught a TD pass = very good receiver. The most passes Tasker ever caught in a season was in Kelly's last year, hardly an elite year for a QB
BTW, Manuel has a higher QB rating than Flacco the "football God." QB ratings don't mean a lot, but he should have a higher one than the guy your saying doesn't have what it takes.

Dalton has AJ Green, I think that gives him a little help. Wilson in his rookie year had Rice and Golden Tate, both good receivers with experience. Manuel has Stevie Johnson with a bad groin and a bunch of rookies and players with no game experience. Also he missed half the preseason and 4 games in the middle of his rookie season.

stuckincincy
12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
We're going to find out soon enough if Dalton is the real deal. People were questioning Flacco in the same way.

I think the Bengals are going to the AFC Championship game against Denver.

Looks like TEs Gresham and Eifert might not play tomorrow. They've already lost 5 starters this season - their gas tank is running pretty low.