PDA

View Full Version : Now that Byrd is a probowler again, can we get a 1st rounder for him ?

Skooby
12-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Can we get a 1st rounder for Byrd after we tag him again ?

Meathead
12-27-2013, 09:45 PM
yes and thats whats gonna happen

Scumbag College
12-27-2013, 09:47 PM
There's no other UFA on this team worth the franchise tag...I say why not and see what happens. Even if it's not a first round pick, a team might give up a mid 2nd for him.

The worst that could happen is that Byrd holds out into the regular season and the Bills FO looks silly. That wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Turn the Byrd pick into 1 of the 2 top TE prospects.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Turn the Byrd pick into 1 of the 2 top TE prospects.Trade Byrd to St.Louis for the number two pick. The can afford it.

Skooby
12-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Trade Byrd to St.Louis for the number two pick. The can afford it.

I would think their own 1st rounder would be a possible scenario, not Washingtons. It also assures them a pro bowler & gives them a very high pick as well, which would be considered a job well done by most.

elltrain22
12-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Here is an idea, how bout we pay him!! He deserves the money, and if we let him walk, that is a message to me that we aren't committed to winning.

Skooby
12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Here is an idea, how bout we pay him!! He deserves the money, and if we let him walk, that is a message to me that we aren't committed to winning.

The Bills can't & won't pay a half-season man #1 $ at any position, it's not & never going to be in the cards.

BertSquirtgum
12-27-2013, 11:02 PM

I don't think he's very good personally. I hope the Bills trade him and get a 1st round pick in 2014 for him.

pmoon6
12-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Here is an idea, how bout we pay him!! He deserves the money, and if we let him walk, that is a message to me that we aren't committed to winning.Is Byrd good, sure. Is he worth 9 or 10 million a year, not on your life.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Flipping a 27 year old multiple all pro into a first is a job well done in Bills country.

Meathead
12-28-2013, 12:28 AM
this questionable probowl nod is only going to make him repeat his pay me the most ever spiel. i like byrd but if he wants to stay on this team he has to back off of that nonsense and accept the more than fair offer im sure the bills will make just like they did last time. with the emergence of small black williams and searcy they have two quality safties that can start so they can afford to lose byrd if they have to

if byrd is smart he will negotiate reasonably and im sure they could find a deal. if not, then the bills have to tag and trade him and move on

jimbohastle51
12-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Not going to happen. His price tag is locked in and deservedly so. He wants to be paid like the top safety in the league and after another pro bowl season you can argue he is.

No doubt the bills will tag him again. Its their right to do so and they should. Once tagged they can field offers for him but probably will not find higher than a 2nd round pick for him because of the size of the contract and amount of GUARANTEED money that the contract will contain.

In my opinion the bills will either tag him and enjoy one more year with him possibly dealing him at the deadline if the playoffs are out of sight next year or trade him this off season. I just see now scenario in which the bills pay his price. Remember Aaron Williams and Jim Leonard have 4INTs this year too. The bills might be comfortable resigning Leonard on the cheap (he is a solid proven player in this system) and developing their young safeties over paying a safety upwards of 8mil per yr.

JCBills
12-28-2013, 01:12 AM
The Bills can't & won't pay a half-season man #1 $ at any position, it's not & never going to be in the cards.

Why get rid of one of the best in the NFL?

They paid Mario top dollar, and what exactly is a half-season man?

GingerP
12-28-2013, 05:01 AM
I don't get the logic where people argue he isn't worth the investment of a big money contract, yet those same people want to slap a $8.3M franchise tag on him and expect another team to give up a first round pick to get him and pay him that contract. He must have pretty good value if you think a team will do that.

YardRat
12-28-2013, 05:20 AM
There aren't too many teams that are going to give up a #1 pick for a safety, IMO. The only hope is somebody with multiples is willing to bite. Byrd may be worth #1 money to somebody, but not here...he just doesn't fit the system, and I honestly think the position can be upgraded.

If the team ultimately decides that he is worth the money and ponies up, I won't ***** (too much, until next season when he makes more bone-headed plays), but I certainly wouldn't offer anything more than average top 10, especially after watching him in this defense the last half of the season. For us, his value has dropped, not risen.

Meathead
12-28-2013, 05:52 AM
for the record they cant trade him in the offseason unless hes tagged. technically hes not on the roster but the bills can put him back on it with a tag before anybody else gets a chance. last year the franchise period was march 3 thru july 15 but they likely wont put it on him right away in order to give both sides time to try to find a deal, though they might give up earlier this year and apply the tag when talks stall and earnestly look for a trade

Meathead
12-28-2013, 05:57 AM
I certainly wouldn't offer anything more than average top 10, especially after watching him in this defense the last half of the season. For us, his value has dropped, not risen.

it will be interesting to see what the bills do here

last year brandonsteinberg openly claimed they were ready to give him top five money, which would likely have to have been a third-ish in the league level (the agent would have called out that claim if it wasnt). i suspect that was true and byrd should have taken it

id also agree he has lost practical value to the team, due to his missing time and not being much of a force from the back end in the run game

if the bills offer something similar he should jump at it, but i suspect he wont. tag and trade appears most likely

coastal
12-28-2013, 06:02 AM
If rather roll the dice on Pomalau when he's a Pitt cap casualty.

the Spartacus threads about his hair alone would be worth the risk.

Bunion
12-28-2013, 06:11 AM
No, don't deal him. Let's stop bleeding talent. Marshawn Lynch just made his third ****ing pro-bowl.

Meathead
12-28-2013, 06:24 AM
moving thugnificent was the right move at the time. odds were much higher that he would continue his pattern of screwups to earn him a year long suspension than he wouldnt. hes earned his place in seattle but thats been a complete turnaround from what he exhibited here. kudos to him but moving him was also the right thing for the bills

pmoon6
12-28-2013, 06:43 AM
No, don't deal him. Let's stop bleeding talent. Marshawn Lynch just made his third ****ing pro-bowl.So what? Lynch has 1100 yards. Our dynamic duo has 1600 and both backs average more yards per carry than Lynch. Combine that with the fact that Lynch was one infraction away from a year suspension and it's absolutely was the right move. I also believe he got popped for DUI in the off season, so it seems he's still acting like the entitled brat he is.

The team will make it's evaluation considering Byrd's value, but IMO he hasn't done anything close to warrant being paid as the top safety.

GingerP
12-28-2013, 07:20 AM
No, don't deal him. Let's stop bleeding talent. Marshawn Lynch just made his third ****ing pro-bowl.

... and Jason Peters his 6th.

Skooby
12-28-2013, 07:21 AM
The moment it was announced that Byrd made the probowl, Eugene Parker texted Russ the brinks' truck backing-up video.

pmoon6
12-28-2013, 08:15 AM
... and Jason Peters his 6th.Yeah, and even though our organization developed him from a free agent TE into a Pro bowl LT, he didn't want to play here. So who's really at fault for his departure?

Jan Reimers
12-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Let's forget the past and just sign Byrd. We have enough holes to fill.

Meathead
12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
giggidy

IlluminatusUIUC
12-28-2013, 11:08 AM
There aren't too many teams that are going to give up a #1 pick for a safety, IMO.

Plenty of teams use first rounders on safeties. Three safeties went in the first round in 2013, two in 2012, and two in 2010. Seven just in the last four drafts. Now, as noted he might not fetch a first because the other team would then have to give him a big contract, but it's not for lack of interest in the position or the player.

Beebe's Kid
12-28-2013, 11:36 AM
The Bills and Byrd's agent have spun this so bad that people are asking for something that makes no sense.

On a team that misses on so many picks, you keep the ones that you hit on. When you have a terrible track record of keeping talent, and you are a perennial 6-7 win team, you are going to need to spend to do that. I don't think the players necessarily are obsessed with winning or any of the other things that people here seem to think are the magical elements that help a player determine their direction...like "wanting to be in Buffalo." That is sentimental bull****.

If they don't sign Byrd, we'll have a new guy that we are hoping will develop, but rarely do. Then when they do "develop" they'll be out of town with the pitchforks at their back.

I didn't like the Lynch deal when it happened, but many many posters here were screaming for his head, and glad to be rid of him. How many times are you going to fall for this ****?

I know that people love to talk about ceilings and all of that...love the potential and the shiny new attraction of drafting a college player...it just doesn't work out, and the team puts more money in their pockets, and fans end up frustrated year after year.

I am tired of getting a new coach every three years. I am tired of rooting for rookies, who we will only keep and extend if they do it on the cheap, because they are not that good. They may be okay, but when they are really good...the fans turn on them with help from the media spin machine.

Byrd is one of the better safeties. The money for a good safety is manageable. He makes the defense much, much better. If he is allowed to walk, or traded for another wasted draft pick...expect 6-7 wins, and all of the excitement that goes with "rebuilding" in another couple years. The perpetual "rebuild," is hilarious to me. But what do I know...just keep supporting the the team, because they might leave, and then there will be no more mediocre at best NFL football in WNY.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Just give him the 9 to 9.5 a year for 5 years and be done with it.

YardRat
12-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Plenty of teams use first rounders on safeties. Three safeties went in the first round in 2013, two in 2012, and two in 2010. Seven just in the last four drafts. Now, as noted he might not fetch a first because the other team would then have to give him a big contract, but it's not for lack of interest in the position or the player.

I wasn't talking draft, I was talking free agency. That's why I used the specific term 'give up', and not 'use'.

YardRat
12-28-2013, 12:41 PM
The Bills and Byrd's agent have spun this so bad that people are asking for something that makes no sense.

On a team that misses on so many picks, you keep the ones that you hit on. When you have a terrible track record of keeping talent, and you are a perennial 6-7 win team, you are going to need to spend to do that. I don't think the players necessarily are obsessed with winning or any of the other things that people here seem to think are the magical elements that help a player determine their direction...like "wanting to be in Buffalo." That is sentimental bull****.

If they don't sign Byrd, we'll have a new guy that we are hoping will develop, but rarely do. Then when they do "develop" they'll be out of town with the pitchforks at their back.

I didn't like the Lynch deal when it happened, but many many posters here were screaming for his head, and glad to be rid of him. How many times are you going to fall for this ****?

I know that people love to talk about ceilings and all of that...love the potential and the shiny new attraction of drafting a college player...it just doesn't work out, and the team puts more money in their pockets, and fans end up frustrated year after year.

I am tired of getting a new coach every three years. I am tired of rooting for rookies, who we will only keep and extend if they do it on the cheap, because they are not that good. They may be okay, but when they are really good...the fans turn on them with help from the media spin machine.

Byrd is one of the better safeties. The money for a good safety is manageable. He makes the defense much, much better. If he is allowed to walk, or traded for another wasted draft pick...expect 6-7 wins, and all of the excitement that goes with "rebuilding" in another couple years. The perpetual "rebuild," is hilarious to me. But what do I know...just keep supporting the the team, because they might leave, and then there will be no more mediocre at best NFL football in WNY.

No, he doesn't. The improvement over the course of the season has much more to do with the entire defense learning and executing the new system than it does the presence of a cover1 safety valve. If anything, over the last half of the schedule, Byrd has been a weakness, not a strength.

The Jokeman
12-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Can we get a 1st rounder for Byrd after we tag him again ?

Quick tell me which 2013 1st Round pick out performed Jarius Byrd this year? or possibly one in 2012? As outside of Andrew Luck I doubt you could name me a player and that's talking about 64 players. Plain and simple Byrd is a proven NFL talent and to trade him away for some unknown 1st Round pick is foolish. Keep the talent we have and add to it is the best plan of attack to be successful. To the naysayers that Byrd doesn't want to be here, you give the man the money he wants and he'll play here.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Is Byrd good, sure. Is he worth 9 or 10 million a year, not on your life.

I'd give him the money, of course I would have given Levitre or Peters the money they wanted to because call me old fashion, but one should play from strength to strength. If you have good OL or DB why waste draft picks, sign them, and then focus on your other needs and this team has plenty.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-28-2013, 12:52 PM

moving thugnificent was the right move at the time. odds were much higher that he would continue his pattern of screwups to earn him a year long suspension than he wouldnt. hes earned his place in seattle but thats been a complete turnaround from what he exhibited here. kudos to him but moving him was also the right thing for the bills

You are both correct, but while Beeshmode was expendable because Jackson is equal or superior in talent, we could be a lot further along if we had kept Peters and later Levitre.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
You are both correct, but while Beeshmode was expendable because Jackson is equal or superior in talent, we could be a lot further along if we had kept Peters and later Levitre.

I don't think we truly lost the peters trade. We used that pick to draft Thurman merman who has worked out well for you

YardRat
12-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Quick tell me which 2013 1st Round pick out performed Jarius Byrd this year? or possibly one in 2012? As outside of Andrew Luck I doubt you could name me a player and that's talking about 64 players. Plain and simple Byrd is a proven NFL talent and to trade him away for some unknown 1st Round pick is foolish. Keep the talent we have and add to it is the best plan of attack to be successful. To the naysayers that Byrd doesn't want to be here, you give the man the money he wants and he'll play here.

Andrew Luck, Matt Kalil, Luke Kuechly, Dontari Poe, Kendall Wright from 2012. I'd take any one of those over Byrd in a heartbeat.

The Jokeman
12-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Andrew Luck, Matt Kalil, Luke Kuechly, Dontari Poe, Kendall Wright from 2012. I'd take any one of those over Byrd in a heartbeat.

Fair argument but outside of Poe none of the players/teams appear to not made a significant impact (in terms of W/L record). My biggest problem is that we just want to people rushing to just throw Byrd aside without a plan of attack to replace him and/or how else they plan to improve the team once he's gone.

pmoon6
12-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Most here have obviously never negotiated anything. You don't bend over and take it in the ass because an employee and his agent are trying to leverage you. Their demands are ridiculous.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Most here have obviously never negotiated anything. You don't bend over and take it in the ass because an employee and his agent are trying to leverage you. Their demands are ridiculous.

If they don't get it here, they'll get it somewhere else.

Byrd is a top 5 safety in the NFL, pay him like he is one and don't create another hole that may or may not be addressed in the next 5 years.

YardRat
12-28-2013, 02:23 PM
If they don't get it here, they'll get it somewhere else.

Byrd is a top 5 safety in the NFL, pay him like he is one and don't create another hole that may or may not be addressed in the next 5 years.

If Byrd would accept top 5 money, he would have been signed last spring. He wants #1.

- - - Updated - - -

In all honest my biggest worry is that ****head Parker is Carrington's agent also.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2013, 02:57 PM
If Byrd would accept top 5 money, he would have been signed last spring. He wants #1.

- - - Updated - - -

In all honest my biggest worry is that ****head Parker is Carrington's agent also.

He wants top 1 or 2 money, which in 2 years turns into 5th money.

That's how FA works. Top talent gets paid and paid well at the time until the next top talent player at the position comes along and surpasses them.

This is a team who can back up the Brinks truck to bums like Lee Evans and Ryan Fitzpatrick but can't pay a guy who legitimately deserves it.

But hey, it's better to save 9.5 million dollars and watch Byrd be a pro-bowl player on someone else's team right?

BillsFever21
12-28-2013, 03:02 PM

And we only spent the #9 pick in the draft for his replacement while only getting a 4th round pick in return. Great job there.

Probably the worse part was that we already had Fred Jackson on the roster and still spent a 1st round pick on a RB. Not only did they fail to get good value out of trading Lynch and drafted a RB too high they also didn't realize they had somebody already on the roster that could be the starter.

BillsFever21
12-28-2013, 03:16 PM
How can an average safety who plays on a team like Buffalo keep making the Pro Bowl? Most people outside of Buffalo can't name most of our players but our average safety who wants to be paid keeps making it. There must be something fishy going on with the Pro Bowl voting.

YardRat
12-28-2013, 03:47 PM
He wants top 1 or 2 money, which in 2 years turns into 5th money.

That's how FA works. Top talent gets paid and paid well at the time until the next top talent player at the position comes along and surpasses them.

This is a team who can back up the Brinks truck to bums like Lee Evans and Ryan Fitzpatrick but can't pay a guy who legitimately deserves it.

But hey, it's better to save 9.5 million dollars and watch Byrd be a pro-bowl player on someone else's team right?

He isn't worth top money...especially in this defense. Tough **** if #1 turns into #5, or #5 turns into #10, which would more accurately reflect his value, in 2 seasons.

Byrd is a better fit in cover2, and probably would make more Pro Bowls on another team. Obviously he has the rep, because he sure as hell didn't earn it this season. I'll take that 9.5mil and re-sign Carrington, bring in a C or G and another LBer, and 'suffer' with a guy at FS that has (ideally) more football brains, and more speed, to be able to actually make plays in this defense, something that Byrd really has failed to do all season for the most part.

BillsImpossible
12-28-2013, 05:18 PM
I'll take Williams and Leonhard as the starting safeties next year in a heartbeat. Out of the entire secondary this year, those were the two players that made the most big plays. Not McKelvin, not Gilmore, not Byrd.

Why pay Byrd $9 million a season when you can get the same productivity if not more out of Aaron Williams or Jimmy Leonhard?

Skooby
12-28-2013, 05:21 PM
I'll take Williams and Leonhard as the starting safeties next year in a heartbeat. Out of the entire secondary this year, those were the two players that made the most big plays. Not McKelvin, not Gilmore, not Byrd.

Why pay Byrd $9 million a season when you can get the same productivity if not more out of Aaron Williams or Jimmy Leonhard?

Common sense taking over, we're never going to pay him #1 $.

JediMindPowers
12-28-2013, 07:06 PM

So did Jason Peters.

JediMindPowers
12-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah, and even though our organization developed him from a free agent TE into a Pro bowl LT, he didn't want to play here. So who's really at fault for his departure?

Wrong....wrong, wrong.

Peters was ran out of town.

capitolneal
12-28-2013, 07:27 PM
can not trade him till we sign him so he has to sign one yr tender to trade don't see that happening

Raptor
12-28-2013, 08:48 PM

Jason Peters

Pro Bowls since trade: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
All Pro team Since trade: 2010, 2011

Bills received E.Wood, D.Batten, and S.Nelson

Cumulative Pro Bowls and All Pros for those 3 players: 0

At what point do Bills fans figure out that trading elite talent for draft picks does nothing but keep you mediocre

But much like with Peters and Lynch Bills fan will once again convince themselves that Byrd doesn't want to be here and he's not as good as the rest of the league clearly knows he is. This is the exact mentality one bills drive loves because they get to saver he money and ship him right out of town to save money. How many times are the Bills going to get to prey on these simple minded fans

JCBills
12-29-2013, 01:26 AM
I don't understand a lot of Bills fans. First it was "Ralph is cheap." Now, people are complaining about paying players like it was coming out of their paycheck.

Byrd is easily one of the best DBs in the NFL. We need to keep homegrown talent around, especially when they are elite.

This is something I put together a few months back, so some of the numbers might be out of date. Also note that BB.com said he has moved into 2nd in INTs since entering the NFL during that span:

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Byrd is 3rd in INTs over that span with 18, behind Asante Samuel at 24 and Charles Woodson/Aqib Talb at 19. Among DBs, he sits 3rd in FFs with 10, behind Charles Tillman with 23 and Charles Woodson at 11. Among all players he is tied for 8th in the same category. 28 Turnovers created in 4 seasons says playmaker. He can cover, he can hit, he can come up in run support. To be sitting just behind guys like Tillman, Woodson, and Samuel when it comes to creating big plays at just 27 years old is very impressive. I'm having a hard time thinking of a safety as impactful as Byrd at his age among current players. Earl Thomas is the only one close to his level in their age range.

I know all of the players I mentioned when I wrote that have added to their FF and INT numbers since, but so has Byrd with 4 INTs in 10 games. Buffalo's pass D was banged up early, getting torched on the reg. McKelvin, A. Williams, Robey, and Searcy grew a lot with the pressure on. Weak links were discarded, and the return of Byrd and Gilmore has pushed this team's pass D into the #5 spot with a game left in the season.

Byrd's demands aren't outlandish by any means. Yeah, he is a safety, but payouts for elite talent are always going up. Pay the man.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 01:50 AM
I don't understand a lot of Bills fans. First it was "Ralph is cheap." Now, people are complaining about paying players like it was coming out of their paycheck.

Byrd is easily one of the best DBs in the NFL. We need to keep homegrown talent around, especially when they are elite.

This is something I put together a few months back, so some of the numbers might be out of date. Also note that BB.com said he has moved into 2nd in INTs since entering the NFL during that span:

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Byrd is 3rd in INTs over that span with 18, behind Asante Samuel at 24 and Charles Woodson/Aqib Talb at 19. Among DBs, he sits 3rd in FFs with 10, behind Charles Tillman with 23 and Charles Woodson at 11. Among all players he is tied for 8th in the same category. 28 Turnovers created in 4 seasons says playmaker. He can cover, he can hit, he can come up in run support. To be sitting just behind guys like Tillman, Woodson, and Samuel when it comes to creating big plays at just 27 years old is very impressive. I'm having a hard time thinking of a safety as impactful as Byrd at his age among current players. Earl Thomas is the only one close to his level in their age range.

I know all of the players I mentioned when I wrote that have added to their FF and INT numbers since, but so has Byrd with 4 INTs in 10 games. Buffalo's pass D was banged up early, getting torched on the reg. McKelvin, A. Williams, Robey, and Searcy grew a lot with the pressure on. Weak links were discarded, and the return of Byrd and Gilmore has pushed this team's pass D into the #5 spot with a game left in the season.

Byrd's demands aren't outlandish by any means. Yeah, he is a safety, but payouts for elite talent are always going up. Pay the man.

Parker's new rate will be $10 M a year & that will squash any ideas about retaining him, mark my words.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 05:18 AM
For what Byrd actually adds to this defense, he can be easily replaced, and in all likelihood upgraded with a FS that has the skill set to fit this system better. Take that 10mil and re-sign Carrington, get a LBer and an offensive lineman out of FA and you've just upgraded the team a ton more than paying through the nose for the status quo.

I want to get better, not pay more money to stay the same.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Byrd is the slowest safety on the team for sure, and that's including Jim Leonhard. Hell, he may be the slowest in the entire league, which is a real detriment if you are playing 75-80% of the time out of a cover 1 shell. He may be worth 10mil per for a cover 2 team, but he sure isn't for us.

pmoon6
12-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Wrong....wrong, wrong.

Peters was ran out of town.I'm just trying to fit in with the morons. They make a pronouncement that they can't possibly know anything about unless they were involved in the negotiations.

My pronouncement is that Peters and his agent thought that they could "stick-up" One Bills' Drive because the team was bad. We will never know what transpired, but one thing is obvious.

Big dumb ****s and little dumb ****s listen to their agent. Peters and Byrd have the same one, so draw your conclusions from there.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Byrd makes two all pro teams and fans are still on here claiming he has to prove it. Williams switches positions after a horrendous first two seasons and plays the first good football of his career, and Jim Leonhard arrives on his 5th team and his first good season in four years, and people are ready to turn the keys over to them.

On other teams this might be considered a good thing to have depth, but on the Bills its an excuse to jettison a starter to save money to spend more on lottery tickets.

stuckincincy
12-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Byrd makes two all pro teams and fans are still on here claiming he has to prove it. Williams switches positions after a horrendous first two seasons and plays the first good football of his career, and Jim Leonhard arrives on his 5th team and his first good season in four years, and people are ready to turn the keys over to them.

On other teams this might be considered a good thing to have depth, but on the Bills its an excuse to jettison a starter to save money to spend more on lottery tickets.

Just curious - has he ever been sent in on a blitz?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Just curious - has he ever been sent in on a blitz?

Which man? Leonhard has some career sacks from his days with the Rex Ryan but Williams has none. That's doesn't say if they've ever blitzed, but it's a good indication that it's rare.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 11:59 AM
For what Byrd actually adds to this defense, he can be easily replaced, and in all likelihood upgraded with a FS that has the skill set to fit this system better. Take that 10mil and re-sign Carrington, get a LBer and an offensive lineman out of FA and you've just upgraded the team a ton more than paying through the nose for the status quo.

I want to get better, not pay more money to stay the same.

Resign Carrington? He's not even needed on this defense, has he even looked like he's been missed since he's been gone?

Or is he okay to keep because he'll only need like 4 million and not 9 million?

Novacane
12-29-2013, 12:09 PM

We have two 2013 2nd round picks on our team that contributed more than Bryd did this season.

stuckincincy
12-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Which man? Leonhard has some career sacks from his days with the Rex Ryan but Williams has none. That's doesn't say if they've ever blitzed, but it's a good indication that it's rare.
Byrd - the subject of this thread.

pmoon6
12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
You usually don't send the free safety on a blitz. The strong side safety is in better position because he is disguised as the downfield cover of the Tight End. Byrd's job is to cover the deep middle or as the over on a speed receiver. A good QB will identify a blitz coming from that position and take advantage.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 12:26 PM
You usually don't send the free safety on a blitz. The strong side safety is in better position because he is disguised as the downfield cover of the Tight End. Byrd's job is to cover the deep middle or as the over on a speed receiver. A good QB will identify a blitz coming from that position and take advantage.

It feels so wrong to actually agree and like one of your posts old man.

stuckincincy
12-29-2013, 12:29 PM

The FS/SS position is blurred today, IMO. Defenses bounce in and out of line and coverage schemes, DEs drop back into coverage, LBs rush or not.

I guess my questions are...does Byrd have the speed and moves to zip into the backfield or not, and come towards the LOS to interfere/tackle within the 5 yard chuck zone be it receiver or running back? Does he cover the quick sideline passes and runs?

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 12:34 PM
We have two 2013 2nd round picks on our team that contributed more than Bryd did this season.

Only because of Byrd's injury. My point being is that everyone assumes a 1st Round pick is always thought to be equal or better than an aging player but it's not always the case. People put so much pressure on rookies to produce but more than not they don't. Kiko's been awesome. Woods has performed as well as one could hope and minus injury think the same could be said of EJ. Getting three rookies to contribute is an exception for the Bills not the norm.

pmoon6
12-29-2013, 01:04 PM
It feels so wrong to actually agree and like one of your posts old man.I know. It's hard when you have built up a good disliking and then actually have to admit to yourself that someone isn't totally wrong.

I remember back when on the Sea of Galilee, a man said he could feed a thousand with the three fish I caught.

I thought he was delusional as well.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-29-2013, 01:21 PM

He is the subject of the thread but not the post you quoted. Anyway Byrd almost never blitzed before this year. He has been doing it a few times this season. The one that comes to mind was the screen pass to ace Sanders that Jacksonville ran to exploit it.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Resign Carrington? He's not even needed on this defense, has he even looked like he's been missed since he's been gone?

Or is he okay to keep because he'll only need like 4 million and not 9 million?

Carrington was one of the better performers early in the season, pre-injury, when the entire team was still learning how to play this defense. He's a keeper, you can never have too many good defensive linemen. Far more valuable to this D than what Byrd can bring to the table.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 01:34 PM

Yes, Byrd has blitzed. Remember the dumbass third down and long roughing the passer penalty?

Skooby
12-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Byrd mailed it in today, anybody still love this guy?

Skooby
12-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Get St. Louis on the horn & grab their first rounder for Byrd.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Unless he strolled out of the stadium today in a walking boot, he's a big pussy.

Parker probably told him, first chance you get, grab your leg and get the hell out of there.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Unless he strolled out of the stadium today in a walking boot, he's a big pussy.

Parker probably told him, first chance you get, grab your leg and get the hell out of there.

Why take a chance at #1 $ ?