PDA

View Full Version : The OBD train

coastal
12-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Have any of you ever heard of the train principle of business management?

The basics of it go like this... 10% of an organization pull the train. They are the employees that are doers, creative, selfless... train pullers! 80% of the organization are along for the ride. They are the employees that quite simply do their jobs. The remaining 10% of the organization are draggers. These are the people that slow the train down. They for whatever reason, aren't of any benefit to the train and in fact are working against that trains progress.

The job of the train's manager is to reward the train pullers, motivate the riders, and cut off the draggers.

This makes sense to me and in my experience works as a basic business management philosophy to structure around.

So fellow zoners... assume you are the Bills' train engineer. What players fit into which of the three categories. Heading into this offseason... what moves would you suggest if you were to use the train principle as your decision making guide?

Novacane
12-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Pullers: Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson, Kiko. I think EJ is pulling but may not have the talent to help. I'm sure there are more. These are the obvious ones to me.

draggers: Are you talking guys that just plain suck? Our offensive guards! If you mean talented but not worth it guys I think Stevie Johnson is a dragger. It seems Marone may think Spiller is one. I'm sure there are a couple that will be sent packing in the offseason that will surprise us.

DraftBoy
12-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Pullers: Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Cordy Glenn

I would add Kiko but the 10% limits me to 5 so that's my five.

Draggers: Erik Pears, and I can't think of anymore. Sure there are plenty of guys who suck or whose attitudes need adjustment but none of that is measurable on the field because we don't know the inner workings of the locker room.

coastal
12-29-2013, 08:00 AM
based on Wood's (a puller) comments this week, it appears that Thad Lewis may be a puller.

even if his talents relegate to a backup QB role, he clearly is "leading by example."

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Didn't you start this same thread last season around this time?

coastal
12-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Didn't you start this same thread last season around this time?
So what if I did? It's a good concept so answer the ****ing question or GTFO.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Pullers-K.Williams, M. Dareus, E.Wood, F.Jackson, K.Alonzo.
Draggers-CJ Spiller, S.Johnson, J.Byrd, E.Pears, Legursky.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:47 AM
So what if I did? It's a good concept so answer the ****ing question or GTFO.

Don't get ****ty with me, dickwad, you can change your attitude or go **** yourself.

coastal
12-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Don't get ****ty with me, dickwad, you can change your attitude or go **** yourself.
Kiss

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:51 AM
:hug:

coastal
12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Pullers: Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson, Eric Wood

Draggers: Erik Pears, Legursky, Urbik

* last year Mario was a dragger and is on the train and doing his job this year. He should be a puller and isn't.

Bills Juggernaut
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Pullers: Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Cordy Glenn

I would add Kiko but the 10% limits me to 5 so that's my five.

Draggers: Erik Pears, and I can't think of anymore. Sure there are plenty of guys who suck or whose attitudes need adjustment but none of that is measurable on the field because we don't know the inner workings of the locker room.

So you're thinking T with our first if one of the top two falls then? Or do you think Harriston can possibly fill the position when back next year?

Question though, if one does fall, do we put them at right tackle or move Glenn to right tackle and have the first-round pick play left tackle?

Do you see any possible starting RT in round two or three that might work?

Famous Amos
12-29-2013, 10:51 AM
guys that are just doing their job...
Aaron Williams
Jerry Hughes
Cordy Glenn (not a puller yet)
Leodis McKelvin (needs to get his hands on more ints)
Robert Woods

EJ Manuel could be in this group but he just hasnt played well enough. Doesnt mean he's bad player, just hasnt shown enough in his limited time.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Pullers - Fred Jackson, Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Kiko Alonso, Garrison Sanborn

Draggers - EJ Manuel, CJ Spiller, Legursky, Gilmore, Pears

GvilleBills
12-29-2013, 12:35 PM
This is an interesting concept thread, but I'm not sure if it directly applies. I'm assuming the businesses that apply this principle have more than 53 employees. The 10-80-10 may need to be adjusted for the smaller work force.

GvilleBills
12-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Pullers: Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson, Eric Wood

Draggers: Erik Pears, Legursky, Urbik

* last year Mario was a dragger and is on the train and doing his job this year. He should be a puller and isn't.
I applaud your restraint, 5 posts before bringing up Mario.
I think Mario would be classified as a rider last year, puller this year.

coastal
12-29-2013, 01:29 PM
I applaud your restraint, 5 posts before bringing up Mario.
I think Mario would be classified as a rider last year, puller this year.
He had the talent of and is rewarded like a puller... but considering last year he was being called out for not giving it his all and the fact that all but 3.5 of his sacks came against 3 teams, he did his job.

nothin more.

the great thing about sports though is every game is a new opportunity.

Mario can make a statement today.

GvilleBills
12-29-2013, 01:59 PM
He had the talent of and is rewarded like a puller... but considering last year he was being called out for not giving it his all and the fact that all but 3.5 of his sacks came against 3 teams, he did his job.

nothin more.

the great thing about sports though is every game is a new opportunity.

Mario can make a statement today.
I'm sorry, but 10.5 sacks is never going to be a dragger in my book.
He can make a statement, but the statement made by the DL this year has a lot to do with him.
2012-rider
2013-puller

MidnightVoice
12-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Nice analogy, but when the draggers start at the top with the owner it tends to fall apart :D

alohabillsfan
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Pullers- wood, Freddie, Mario , Kiko and mcelvin
Sraggers- cj, EJ, Darius, Stevie and legursky

Lone Stranger
12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I do not know how one could consider Dareus a puller since he has obvious discipline problems. Me thinks the Bills might want to dump him but there are probably Cap consequences, and , of course, adequate consideration issues.

Historian
12-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Pullers:

Kyle Williams
Dan Carpenter
Fred Jackson
Eric Wood
DC-Mike Pettine

Draggers:

Admin-RUSS BRANDON
Admin- JEFF LITTMAN
Stevie Johnson
TJ Graham
Scott Chandler

YardRat
12-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Where is the 'try and crack open the safe, then bail out mid-trip amongst the tumbleweeds' category? Byrd needs to be fit in somewhere.

alohabillsfan
12-30-2013, 08:55 AM
I do not know how one could consider Dareus a puller since he has obvious discipline problems. Me thinks the Bills might want to dump him but there are probably Cap consequences, and , of course, adequate consideration issues.
It's because he was drafted 3rd overall, if he was a late round draft pick and benched 2 games running they would want him cut, it's a total lack of intelligence, I think a couple of these posters may be part of the front office.