PDA

View Full Version : What is needed to make the D elite?

coastal
12-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Ok... after umpteen failures with coordinator hires on the both sides of the ball, it appears that Pettine is a keeper.

ive always been a fan of building a dominant D to go with a power running team.

We we appear to be on the verge of perhaps having both.

The O aside... what do you all think is needed to make this defense elite?

i think they need a pure, space eater and NT, a fill and kill MLB ala Brandon Spikes and one last Probowl caliber versatile LBer.

Novacane
12-29-2013, 08:03 AM
I agree with you. A couple more LB and one that's dominant. I know you said the O aside but an offense that keeps them off the field a little more often may be the biggest defensive need.

Fixxxer
12-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Right now, we need an improvement from the Moats/Bradham tandem and Gilmore needs to be more focused on his assignment, on broken plays (the QB pressured out of the pocket) he loses sight of the player he is covering.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:18 AM
I agree, but I would add a FS that's football smart, has a ton of speed and can hit like a truck.

X-Era
12-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Ok... after umpteen failures with coordinator hires on the both sides of the ball, it appears that Pettine is a keeper.

i think they need a pure, space eater and NT, a fill and kill MLB ala Brandon Spikes and one last Probowl caliber versatile LBer.

Keep Byrd
Keep the DL in tact
Add a big-time play-making OLB
Add another solid CB to push McKelvin or be the primary #3 CB

coastal
12-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Keep Byrd
Keep the DL in tact
Add another solid CB to push McKelvin or be the primary #3 CBso u would like K. Mack as our pick?

TacklingDummy
12-29-2013, 08:33 AM
A QB that helps keep them off the field and fresh.

KneeJ 92 out of 135 drives that ended with 5 plays or less kills the defense.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Keep Byrd
Keep the DL in tact

You get a thumper for the middle, and Kiko becomes the big-time play-making OLB..shores up both inside and outside, improves two positions with one move. Screw Byrd, I'd rather see what Duke Williams has to offer at this point and spend the money on a MLB and DT, plus an o-linemen for the offense with the same money. I am definitely on board with getting another CB though.

tomz
12-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Keep Byrd
Keep the DL in tact

I have a question about LB terminology people use. The hybrid defense brings this on.

Aren't Manny Lawson and Jerry Hughes our outside LBs? I am comfortable with either. A previous poster mentioned the Bradham/Moats combo. Isn't that where the upgrade is needed? Then that would be the target for an upgrade. Similarly, the run-stuffing DT comment from another poster begs the question of which DT (Dareus, K. Williams, Branch) do you take time from?

I am definitely on-board with picking up Mack or someone of his ilk. I think that is our best single D move.

coastal
12-29-2013, 08:56 AM
I have a question about LB terminology people use. The hybrid defense brings this on.

Aren't Manny Lawson and Jerry Hughes our outside LBs? I am comfortable with either. A previous poster mentioned the Bradham/Moats combo. Isn't that where the upgrade is needed? Then that would be the target for an upgrade. Similarly, the run-stuffing DT comment from another poster begs the question of which DT (Dareus, K. Williams, Branch) do you take time from?
It's a good question and one I have as well. As far as versatility... CJ Mosley might be the player they are looking at but is he another Kiko?

Jry44
12-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Ive actually read somewhere that some feel that Kiko Slonso would be very special if he were moved to the outside. Get a solid MLB and add another piece to the other side of alonso and I think you would have it.

coastal
12-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Ive actually read somewhere that some feel that Kiko Slonso would be very special if he were moved to the outside. Get a solid MLB and add another piece to the other side of alonso and I think you would have it.
wouldn't surprise me to see CJ Mosley as a Bill then.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Mosley is about the same size as Kiko, isn't he? I'd rather see somebody like Skov or Borland in the second round or, even better, get the MLB from FA.

Jry44
12-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Mosley is about the same size as Kiko, isn't he? I'd rather see somebody like Skov or Borland in the second round or, even better, get the MLB from FA.

I would absolutely love Skov

coastal
12-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Size they are very similar, but one area where CJ is vastly superior to Kiko is instincts and being consistent with his assignments. Sliding Kiko outside to the weakside and letting him be more creative may play into his strengths while bringing in CJ to be the responsible but just as versatile MLB they still need.

Famous Amos
12-29-2013, 10:57 AM

I think they need Gilmore to play up to his draft spot. Maybe thats not fair to him, but I was under the impression he was going to be a shut down corner.

cookie G
12-29-2013, 11:03 AM
They need more discipline.

They are well below average in giving up big run plays, about average in giving up big pass plays. Maybe a little better than average no against big pass plays, now that Rogers isn't giving up 3 bombs per game.

But giving up 19 or 20 20+ yard runs per year...you're not going to be elite. Run support from the safety position is spotty at best. And yes...RB's will get past the front 7 at times..it happens with every team.

Famous Amos
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Hopefully, http://conferencechalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/khalil-mack-OOO_7938.jpg doesn't end up like Aaron Maybin.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 11:21 AM
It's a good question and one I have as well. As far as versatility... CJ Mosley might be the player they are looking at but is he another Kiko?

You can't hurt a defense that struggles against the run by adding another solid all around LB which I think we currently lack at WLB. If Mosley is another Derrick Brooks like this article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000284985/article/ask-5-what-nfl-player-does-cj-mosley-remind-you-of mentions then we could see something very special next year assuming the players we have now maintain to play their current level. Of course there is also a debate that we could shift Alonso to WLB and get another thumper in the MLB but I say why risk it? We know Alonso can man the middle so keep him there I say. That said that article also does say that Mosley is as good as many other good MLB currently in the league which would allow us to play with the idea of Alonso at WLB.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Hopefully, http://conferencechalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/khalil-mack-OOO_7938.jpg doesn't end up like Aaron Maybin.

Mack has a better track record than Maybin did and has better NFL size. Yet I'm not sure he'd fall to us at pick 10 as some are comparing him to Von Miller which to me makes him almost a guaranteed top 5 pick.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
We'd need to give up 100 fewer points next year to be in the "elite" conversation. I say get another middle linebacker as a starter and then focus on the offense. It's an offense league.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 11:56 AM
A QB who leads this team into sustaining drives.

Novacane
12-29-2013, 12:03 PM
We'd need to give up 100 fewer points next year to be in the "elite" conversation. I say get another middle linebacker as a starter and then focus on the offense. It's an offense league.

So 1 less TD per game. That should be very doable with a couple key additions.

TacklingDummy
12-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Agreed.

A QB that helps keep them off the field and fresh.

KneeJ 92 out of 135 drives that ended with 5 plays or less kills the defense.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Agreed.

A playmaker at the corner position might help too but the defense is plenty good enough if the offense was even average.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 12:20 PM
So 1 less TD per game. That should be very doable with a couple key additions.

This year the Bills moved from 26th in points against per game to 15th and giving up 3.6 less points per game. 7 is a lot harder then one would think.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Give EJ more reliable weapons in the passing game and think we'll see more of them next year. I'm beating a dead horse but adding James Jones and Dennis Pitta could really do a lot to change the look of our offense in 2014.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 12:32 PM
You can't hurt a defense that struggles against the run by adding another solid all around LB which I think we currently lack at WLB. If Mosley is another Derrick Brooks like this article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000284985/article/ask-5-what-nfl-player-does-cj-mosley-remind-you-of mentions then we could see something very special next year assuming the players we have now maintain to play their current level. Of course there is also a debate that we could shift Alonso to WLB and get another thumper in the MLB but I say why risk it? We know Alonso can man the middle so keep him there I say. That said that article also does say that Mosley is as good as many other good MLB currently in the league which would allow us to play with the idea of Alonso at WLB.

Because objectively speaking one of the weaknesses against the run is Kiko's inability to man up, engage, release and tackle on interior runs. He tends to guess and pick a side, trying to avoid the blocker, and that opens up the running lanes.

justasportsfan
12-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Give EJ more reliable weapons in the passing game and think we'll see more of them next year. I'm beating a dead horse but adding James Jones and Dennis Pitta could really do a lot to change the look of our offense in 2014.

Don't mean to turn this into a bash Ej thread but right now weapons are not the biggest problem. Remember how when we brought in TO and he did nothing because of our dink and dunk qb? It looks like its the same thing to me.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Might already have that. Give a rookie another off-season and more than 10 games.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Might already have that. Give a rookie another off-season and more than 10 games.

We have a QB who's afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field.

Jokeman said he needs better weapons, what will they matter when the guy behind center plays scared?

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Don't mean to turn this into a bash Ej thread but right now weapons are not the biggest problem. Remember how when we brought in TO and he did nothing because of our dink and dunk qb? It looks like its the same thing to me.

The problem is outside of TO who else fit the dink and dunk mode in that offense? Certainly not Lee Evans.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Jokeman said he needs better weapons, what will they matter when the guy behind center plays scared?

As you know, Tom Brady kills defenses by throwing short. Drew Brees too. Now is EJ in either of there classes heck no so that's why I say give EJ better weapons. As honestly as the D an infusion of talent and playing a scheme that takes advantage of it can be improved. As honestly I don't see TJ Graham or Goodwin being anything more then depth WRs in the NFL. So put them sooner than late and infuse the roster with more talent on offense. As to me if we can build the D to top 10 level and at make the O middle of the pack that's are quickest chance to start thinking we can be a Wild Card team until the evil Empire in New England finally ends.

justasportsfan
12-29-2013, 01:03 PM
As you know, Tom Brady kills defenses by throwing short. Drew Brees too. Now is EJ in either of there classes heck no so that's why I say give EJ better weapons. As honestly as the D an infusion of talent and playing a scheme that takes advantage of it can be improved. As honestly I don't see TJ Graham or Goodwin being anything more then depth WRs in the NFL. So put them sooner than late and infuse the roster with more talent on offense. As to me if we can build the D to top 10 level and at make the O middle of the pack that's are quickest chance to start thinking we can be a Wild Card team until the evil Empire in New England finally ends.
Brees and Brady will take what you give them. If you dare them to go deep they can hurt you. Ej will look to dink even if you dare him to throw deep. For the most part ,he's been Trent 2.0 which is why I brought up the TO era in buffalo. It wasn't until Trent was benched in favor of Fitz that TO came alive. As bad as Fitz is with the deep ball, he we would have had a better passing game with him even our current we corps

YardRat
12-29-2013, 01:06 PM

We have a QB that is a rookie, that's played in 10 games, behind one of the worst o-lines in football.

26% of EJ's attempts are over 10 yards. Compare that to Brady, at 29%. Three whole % pts difference between a 10 game rookie and a three-time SB winner, which in EJ's case would amount to about a grand total of 9 attempts, or 1 per game. That is the definition of meaningless and insignificant.

stuckincincy
12-29-2013, 01:10 PM

Linebackers. Alonzo has had a fine season, and I really admire his ability to get to the action, but I don't game plan against him.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Brees and Brady will take what you give them. If you dare them to go deep they can hurt you. Ej will look to dink even if you dare him to throw deep. For the most part ,he's been Trent 2.0 which is why I brought up the TO era in buffalo. It wasn't until Trent was benched in favor of Fitz that TO came alive. As bad as Fitz is with the deep ball, he we would have had a better passing game with him even our current we corps

I would hope a seasoned veteran QB would out perform a rookie QB. I have never understood how so many people forget how vital experience is for the QB position. Yes, there are exceptions but the truth is we really need to give EJ 40 games under his belt to make a fair assessment.

Fletch
12-29-2013, 03:08 PM
They need more discipline.

They are well below average in giving up big run plays, about average in giving up big pass plays. Maybe a little better than average no against big pass plays, now that Rogers isn't giving up 3 bombs per game.

But giving up 19 or 20 20+ yard runs per year...you're not going to be elite. Run support from the safety position is spotty at best. And yes...RB's will get past the front 7 at times..it happens with every team.

It's even worse than that when we consider that the only top-10 rushing team that we played was the Jets. Powell and Ivory ran all over us this year averaging 137 rushing between them in two games.

That makes a huge statement.

It was a relatively easy schedule this season and NE will never be weaker with Brady at QB.

IMO this same D regresses next season.