PDA

View Full Version : Good riddance, Jairus

YardRat
12-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Greedy piece of ****.

You got what you wanted, a Pro Bowl berth and most likely a big dollar contract along with a ticket out of Buffalo. No need to risk injury in a meaningless game.

Thanks for bailing on your team, earlier this year, and today.

Good riddance, you really haven't done jack **** to help this defense anyway, other than a few gift INT's against rookie QB's.

I hope your replacement turns into a Hall of Famer.

JediMindPowers
12-29-2013, 04:50 PM
I bet you had these same feelings for Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Andy Levitre and every other Bills player that was actually good.

You are a prime example of why OBD does what it does. OBD counts on fans like you supporting them when they fail to keep good players.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Actually, I supported the re-signing of Peters pretty vehemently, and wanted Williams re-signed also, along with Winfield. Levitre is another story entirely, he never was, and never will be, in those guys' league.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2013, 05:24 PM
:rofl:

Root for more money in Ralphies pockets!

That'll show Byrd and make this team better!

Beebe's Kid
12-29-2013, 05:25 PM
This is why the Bills have a perennial 7 win team. Bought the media frenzy, and thought that it was a matter of Byrd not wanting to be in Buffalo. It is about the money, Lebowski. You go to your job, then go to a football game. They go to their job, and it is a football game. Big difference. If Byrd's replacement turns into a HOF'er, you'll be chasing him out of town at the end of his rookie contract too.

Very good rant though...I hope you find the players that are willing to put their bodies on the line out of some pure love for a terribly mismanaged organization.

People may stop believing in Santa Claus, but they'll still believe in their own little fantasies.

YardRat
12-29-2013, 05:29 PM
:rofl:

Root for more money in Ralphies pockets!

That'll show Byrd and make this team better!

This is why the Bills have a perennial 7 win team. Bought the media frenzy, and thought that it was a matter of Byrd not wanting to be in Buffalo. It is about the money, Lebowski. You go to your job, then go to a football game. They go to their job, and it is a football game. Big difference. If Byrd's replacement turns into a HOF'er, you'll be chasing him out of town at the end of his rookie contract too.

Very good rant though...I hope you find the players that are willing to put their bodies on the line out of some pure love for a terribly mismanaged organization.

People may stop believing in Santa Claus, but they'll still believe in their own little fantasies.

Keep deluding yourselves, because soooooo many players have left Buffalo and had tremendous success elsewhere.

BillsFever21
12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah the Bills really showed Jairus Byrd. He will only get his money from another team instead of signing for millions less to play in Buffalo with the worse team over the past 14 years. We're much more competent then any other team and front office in the NFL though. Our success for the past 14 years proves how stupid every other team in the NFL is. We have the extra salary cap space every season to prove it.

We will show Jairus Byrd who is boss just like we showed Pat Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Antonie Winfield, Willis McGahee, Jabari Greer and countless others that we let go for nothing or practically nothing. They only went on to get paid and play on winning teams after Buffalo showed them who was the boss. At least they got a 1st round draft pick out of Jason Peters when they also showed him who was boss. That beats the alternative of all the 1st and 2nd round picks we've spent on them same positions trying to replace them and then wash, rinse and repeat the process all over again when their rookie contract was up.

For those who says that Byrd is such a waste then why are you sticking up for the front office? If he is that average then they were pretty stupid to use the franchise tag on him this season and pay him just under 7 million dollars. If that's the case then that was a horrible move by them to pay him 7 million this season and not even get a draft pick either. We could've used the franchise tag on Andy Levitre and kept our OL in tact for our rookie QB for at least one more season.

kingJofNYC
12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Yard Rat with some amazing cognitive dissonance.

Text book stuff.

Downinfloflo
12-29-2013, 05:35 PM
LMFAO @ A fan who calls a player greedy....

YardRat
12-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Byrd is my whipping boy this season...and he's earned it along the way.

I hope he joins Levitre in Tennessee and both of them spend the rest of their careers cleaning out their lockers after the regular season is over.

BillsFever21
12-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Keep deluding yourselves, because soooooo many players have left Buffalo and had tremendous success elsewhere.

If anything that proves the point even more of how bad our organization is ran. The organization that you keep sticking up for as making smart player moves.

BillsFever21
12-29-2013, 05:42 PM

I hope he joins Levitre in Tennessee and both of them spend the rest of their careers cleaning out their lockers after the regular season is over.

You mean like Buffalo has been doing for the past 14 years? At least every other team has made the playoffs since the turn of the century. We really have a leg up on the competition. You sound like we have been a regular playoff team and SB contender during their careers.

Crisis
12-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Wanting to win is the last reason anyone would want to stay in Buffalo.

Fletch
12-29-2013, 06:13 PM
I bet you had these same feelings for Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Andy Levitre and every other Bills player that was actually good.

You are a prime example of why OBD does what it does. OBD counts on fans like you supporting them when they fail to keep good players.

LOL

It counts on fans getting all whooped up over the next beauty put out in the front of the lot over which the owner of the lot tells us what a cream puff it's gonna be.

Don't be pinning that crap on fellow fans. It's everyone that pays for tickets to this slop. Just like Oliver Twist, we're all left hungry and wanting more every season. Those that pay to be that way are responsible.

kingJofNYC
12-29-2013, 06:17 PM
We should all be happy that Byrd will no longer be part of this disgrace. Let him go elsewhere and try to do something with the remaining part of his career. No need to torture him any more.

alohabillsfan
12-29-2013, 06:20 PM
I sure as hell wouldn't pay 9 million per for a safety with injury issues, those who would are the fools!!

IlluminatusUIUC
12-29-2013, 06:22 PM
It's a good thing we have Jim Leonhard to take his place. I saw so much heart when he was getting destroyed or outrun by Blount repeatedly.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Byrd was looking for first available checkout with his Probowl status in hand. When I heard he's out I'm like yeah right, no way he plays again for Buffalo either.

EDS
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Bills have had such tremendous success as well . . .

better days
12-30-2013, 09:25 AM
We should all be happy that Byrd will no longer be part of this disgrace. Let him go elsewhere and try to do something with the remaining part of his career. No need to torture him any more.

Just as long as the Bills get value in return for trading Byrd.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a good thing we have Jim Leonhard to take his place. I saw so much heart when he was getting destroyed or outrun by Blount repeatedly.

Do you really think Byrd would have looked better VS Blount?

pmoon6
12-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Sorry Bozos, Jairus Byrd isn't worth 9 or 10 million dollars a year.

Bill Cody
12-30-2013, 09:49 AM
this argument is so tired at this point. I could care less about Byrd. It's over here for him. Franchise him again and move him for the best deal you can get. Toodles.

Jan Reimers
12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Besides all of the other lost guys mentioned in this thread, I saw Chad Rinehart, David Nelson and Paul Posluszny doing yeoman work for their teams yesterday. And there are more - they're just not All-Pros, so they're not good enough for the perennially 6-10, 0 fer' Gillette Stadium, 0 fer' the playoffs in the new millenium, Buffalo Bills.

Jan Reimers
12-30-2013, 10:05 AM

The trouble is, no athlete is really worth what they are paid. But some teams bite the bullet and overpay a bit to keep their good players in the fold and provide some continuity.

But the Bills are so savvy in this area that they have avoided those pesky playoffs for 14 years now.

Bill Cody
12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Besides all of the other lost guys mentioned in this thread, I saw Chad Rinehart, David Nelson and Paul Posluszny doing yeoman work for their teams yesterday. And there are more - they're just not All-Pros, so they're not good enough for the perennially 6-10, 0 fer' Gillette Stadium, 0 fer' the playoffs in the new millenium, Buffalo Bills.

with all due respect, if I cared to do it, and I don't, I could make a much longer and much more impressive list of guys that left NE. Guys leave. Guys are not resigned. It happens to every team in the NFL bar none. It only is a sore subject here because we have so few good players that things get magnified. But the bottom line is, draft better and coach better and you can do what all the best teams do, attract free agents and not overpay your own guys. I'd like to say we've turned a corner on that but without a comfort zone on the QB poisition I can't do it. Trust me: if we had Belichick and Brady there wouldn't be a soul on here that would be gnashing teeth over a mercenary like Byrd.

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Its obvious we should want to keep Byrd right?

We are miles under the Cap and he played VERY well in this defense.

Why wouldn't we want to keep him?

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Its obvious we should want to keep Byrd right?

Why wouldn't we want to keep him?

because some peoples feelings are hurt and are offended that he dared to try to maximize his income on a short shelf life

TacklingDummy
12-30-2013, 11:01 AM

The cap is one thing, revenue and money the owner is willing to spend is a greater thing.

ICRockets
12-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Pay the man. Seriously, this isn't rocket surgery. Unless we can get a first round pick for trading him, he's worth keeping.

EDS
12-30-2013, 11:46 AM

Mario Williams isn't worth $100 million either, but that didn't stop the Bills from signing him. Why should a home grown talent like Byrd be treated differently?

X-Era
12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Pay the man. Seriously, this isn't rocket surgery. Unless we can get a first round pick for trading him, he's worth keeping.
Wait... Who does surgery on rockets?

I kid, I kid.

I agree. Pay him. Don't haggle over 1-2 mill.

The one issue on this though is whether Marrone thinks he's got the wort of character that he wants going forward. The holdout, the injury... I don't know how Marrone will look at it.

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2013, 12:04 PM
PAY HIM BOZOS!!!!!!

Historian
12-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Im of the feeling that:

While I do not like some of his posturing, at some point, we have to start keeping guys if we are serious about building a team.

Mouldsie
12-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Soooo many have that is correct, 2 years ago there were more starting players in the NFL that started their careers in Buffalo than any other team...

Mouldsie
12-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Wait... Who does surgery on rockets?

I kid, I kid.

I agree. Pay him. Don't haggle over 1-2 mill.

The one issue on this though is whether Marrone thinks he's got the wort of character that he wants going forward. The holdout, the injury... I don't know how Marrone will look at it.
That is a big key for me.

I'd rather spend more on my studs and then have a guy like Chad Rinehart starting over Craig Urbik for a much lower cost and the same production (actually Rinehart was better this year). The Bills tend to overspend on their marginal guys (Kelsay, McKelvin, Posey, Denney, Pears, Urbik, etc).

BertSquirtgum
12-31-2013, 02:34 AM

Rocket surgery? Bye bye Byrd. You're not as good as so many fans say you are.

- - - Updated - - -

PAY HIM BOZOS!!!!!!

No thanks.

BertSquirtgum
12-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Soooo many have that is correct, 2 years ago there were more starting players in the NFL that started their careers in Buffalo than any other team...

Did you just make that statement up or can you actually prove it?

Jan Reimers
12-31-2013, 03:42 AM
with all due respect, if I cared to do it, and I don't, I could make a much longer and much more impressive list of guys that left NE. Guys leave. Guys are not resigned. It happens to every team in the NFL bar none. It only is a sore subject here because we have so few good players that things get magnified. But the bottom line is, draft better and coach better and you can do what all the best teams do, attract free agents and not overpay your own guys. I'd like to say we've turned a corner on that but without a comfort zone on the QB poisition I can't do it. Trust me: if we had Belichick and Brady there wouldn't be a soul on here that would be gnashing teeth over a mercenary like Byrd.

We don't have Belichick and Brady, and we don't have the knack of replacing a Welker with an Edelman. Therefore, it is far more important for us to keep the good players we have.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 05:09 AM
Im of the feeling that:

While I do not like some of his posturing, at some point, we have to start keeping guys if we are serious about building a team.

We have been keeping guys that want to be here, that have performed, and fit the system. Byrd only hits on one of those three. Winning is just as much about attitude as it is talent, and spending money wisely, not just simply spending it. Byrd is obviously a 'me first' guy, and doesn't buy into the 'team' concept. This defense will be better without him.

Jan Reimers
12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
We have been keeping guys that want to be here, that have performed, and fit the system. Byrd only hits on one of those three. Winning is just as much about attitude as it is talent, and spending money wisely, not just simply spending it. Byrd is obviously a 'me first' guy, and doesn't buy into the 'team' concept. This defense will be better without him.
I might agree, if we hadn't missed the playoffs for 14 consecutive years, signed a "me first" guy like Mario Williams to the largest contract in Bills' history, let a good citizen and teammate like Levitre walk solely because of money, and generally created tons of holes by letting other quality guys like Nelson, Rhinehart and Poz go.

Your philosophy sounds nice, but either we haven't really followed it, or it hasn't worked. Why defend the Bills' niggardly approach when it has led to nothing but year after year of abject failure?

Oh, and I will be extremely surprised if our D is better without the Pro Bowler Byrd. It's kind of like saying our O-line was better this year without Levitre.

pmoon6
12-31-2013, 07:35 AM
I might agree, if we hadn't missed the playoffs for 14 consecutive years, signed a "me first" guy like Mario Williams to the largest contract in Bills' history, let a good citizen and teammate like Levitre walk solely because of money, and generally created tons of holes by letting other quality guys like Nelson, Rhinehart and Poz go.

Your philosophy sounds nice, but either we haven't really followed it, or it hasn't worked. Why defend the Bills' niggardly approach when it has led to nothing but year after year of abject failure?

Oh, and I will be extremely surprised if our D is better without the Pro Bowler Byrd. It's kind of like saying our O-line was better this year without Levitre.I already posted that we were 2nd in rushing offense this year. We 6th with Levitre here. That said, different offensive system and you can't point to one guy on an O-line being a difference.

On the Byrd issue, a safety doesn't make that much difference on the total defense, that would be your front seven. I didn't notice Byrd coming up to make a big stick in the running game and his interceptions and pass defense was the same as Leonhard and Byrd played more.

I don't know why people want to make him the highest paid safety in the league and say if we don't, the FO doesn't want to win. If you ask me, Byrd and his agent used some pretty despicable tactics with regards to negotiations and his "injury" during the first 5 games. That shows me he doesn't want to play in Buffalo. If they try to negotiate and offer 7.5 or 8 million and he doesn't budge, you have no choice but to tag/trade or let him go.

Goobylal
12-31-2013, 07:58 AM
Byrd isn't worth anywhere close to what he'll be getting from some stupid team (see: Bucs). In his 5 seasons in the NFL, the only good QB he's INT'd is Roethlisberger. He, like Levitre, will be a good let-go.

Jan Reimers
12-31-2013, 08:13 AM
You guys just don't get it, do you?

Do you really think we got better in the rushing game by letting Levitre go? Do you really think we'll be better on D by letting Byrd walk?

Really?

14 freaking straight years without a playoff appearance, and you defend this crap of decimating our team year after year? Of creating new holes to be filled, bringing in new guys to fill them, then letting them go when they ask for more money? You like this carousel to nowhere, 6-10 every year, nonsense?

You wouldn't really want us to do something different?

Good for you. Happy 6-10, irrelevant, mediocre football to you.

pmoon6
12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
You guys just don't get it, do you?

Do you really think we got better in the rushing game by letting Levitre go? Do you really think we'll be better on D by letting Byrd walk?

Really?

14 freaking straight years without a playoff appearance, and you defend this crap of decimating our team year after year? Of creating new holes to be filled, bringing in new guys to fill them, then letting them go when they ask for more money? You like this carousel to nowhere, 6-10 every year, nonsense?

You wouldn't really want us to do something different?

Good for you. Happy 6-10, irrelevant, mediocre football to you.Yeah, and you can keep crying about "14 years of no playoffs" and think that overpaying for a guard and a safety will put us in. Did I want to keep Levitre? Sure, but not for 9 million a year. Same with Byrd.

You seem to think that paying whatever to keep these players is the antidote for losing. It's not based on the value of said players.

Washington routinely signs FAs to exorbidant contracts and makes "blockbuster" trades to move up in the draft.

Where has that got them?

Goobylal
12-31-2013, 08:53 AM
The Bills without Levitre were 2nd in the NFL in rushing, up from 6th in 2012, but dropped from 4th to 14th in average. The Titans improved from 21st to 14th in rushing, but droppped from 8th to 17th in average. What does it mean? That Levitre was sorely overpaid. Now the Bills should have had a better plan in place to replace him, but that doesn't mean that letting him walk wasn't the absolute right thing to do.

As for Byrd, paying close to $9M/year for a guy who INT's mostly bad QB's isn't a great use of money. Safeties rank just above ST'ers and TE's in pay scale. Let him go.

X-Era
12-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Basically Whaley said they'll pull a Levitre... They'll make a low ball offer and he'll leave and get what he is really worth from another team.

I say it every off-season. The Bills don't set the price on players, the rest of the league does.

X-Era
12-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Yeah, and you can keep crying about "14 years of no playoffs" and think that overpaying for a guard and a safety will put us in. Did I want to keep Levitre? Sure, but not for 9 million a year. Same with Byrd.

You seem to think that paying whatever to keep these players is the antidote for losing. It's not based on the value of said players.

Washington routinely signs FAs to exorbidant contracts and makes "blockbuster" trades to move up in the draft.

Where has that got them?Where did Levitre get the Titans?

pmoon6
12-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Where did Levitre get the Titans?My point exactly.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Where did Levitre get the Titans?

My point exactly.

Where did Revis get the Bucs? Where did Paul Kruger get the Browns? Where did Mario get the Bills? Where did Wallace get the Dolphins? Where did Elvis Dumervil get the Ravens? Where did Greg Jennings get the Vikings? Where did Jake Long get the Rams?

You can go up and down the league playing this game...does that mean you should just completely avoid any and all players that are set to get paid big money?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
I already posted that we were 2nd in rushing offense this year. We 6th with Levitre here. That said, different offensive system and you can't point to one guy on an O-line being a difference.

We were second in rushing because we had 37 more attempts than anyone else in the league - almost an entire extra game's worth. And we had 100+ extra attempts over last year with only 90 more yards to show for it.

Yeah, if you forcefeed the football to our halfbacks in an up-tempo offense, you'll gain a lot of yards. But on a per-play basis we were league average, a significant dropoff from last season.

On the Byrd issue, a safety doesn't make that much difference on the total defense, that would be your front seven. I didn't notice Byrd coming up to make a big stick in the running game and his interceptions and pass defense was the same as Leonhard and Byrd played more.

That was Leonhard's best season ever, and the guy is 31 years old on his sixth career stop. Giving journeymen the keys to the team after their first half-season of solid play is what got us into the Fitzpatrick mess. Keep Leonhard where he belongs - as depth.

BillsFever21
12-31-2013, 06:41 PM
I already posted that we were 2nd in rushing offense this year. We 6th with Levitre here. That said, different offensive system and you can't point to one guy on an O-line being a difference.

That's only because we had 104 more attempts this season then in 2012. We had 546 attempts this season for 2,307 yards and a 4.2 average. Last year we had 442 attempts for 2,217 yards with a 5.0 average. In 2011 we averaged 4.9 yards a carry.

Sure we finished higher in the rushing standings but not because we were more successful running. We were still decent but not great like the past couple of years. We didn't have all the big plays like last season. We had 104 more attempts but not even 100 more total yards.

We only finished 4th in average ypc in 2011 and 2012 but this season we only finished 14th in average. That is merely average after being great in the run game for the couple seasons. Our average was .8 ypc less then the past couple seasons. We had only had about 150 more rushing yards then the Jets this season and they averaged 4.4 ypc. They have Ivory and Powell and we have Jackson and Spiller.

Them stats shouldn't even be close and the Jets were technically just as good or better then us. We have one of the best RB tandems in the NFL but this year they were just average. It's only because we rushed so many times this year with 37 more attempts then any other team and the most attempts in the NFL since 2011 when the Broncos had 546 attempts with Tim Tebow running all the time. I guess if almost a full yard less per carry isn't a big drop from then last year then I guess you can say it didn't hurt our running game. The proof is right in front of everyone.

mikemac2001
12-31-2013, 08:06 PM
i say keep him

in this defense he is very aggressive and is there to make plays (and he made plays in a ****ty D) pay the man keep this core of the D together if we can get any Offense next year we could make playoffs

YardRat
12-31-2013, 08:51 PM

When has Wiiliams exhibited any 'me first' behavior in Buffalo? He's the one that has played thru injury, including the same ailment that Byrd sat down with. Levitre is not worth the contract, period. Nelson had a nice couple of games to end this season, but his release wasn't tied to money at all. I wanted to keep Rhinehart myself. The POS wasn't worth his contract either, hope Jax is happy over-paying him while they have become a bigger on-field joke than Buffalo. Money spent foolishily, happily by them and not us. Let's not make the same mistake Tennessee and Jax did just because Byrd was drafted by us, and has played we, albeit not elite.

Seriously, where would we be if we kept Levitre and Byrd? Couldn't afford him, we'd be 6-10 or worse, and everybody would be *****ing about spending money on the wrong players, just like Kelsay, Fitz, etc.

Oh, and I will be extremely surprised if our D is better without the Pro Bowler Byrd. It's kind of like saying our O-line was better this year without Levitre.

I won't, and our offense didn't perform any worse, despite the revolving inexperience at QB.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 08:59 PM
i say keep him

in this defense he is very aggressive and is there to make plays (and he made plays in a ****ty D) pay the man keep this core of the D together if we can get any Offense next year we could make playoffs

Bull. He's slow in run support, bounces off recievers, and is too slow to make up ground. 3 out of his four int's were thrown right at him, by rookie QB's. He is very good in a cover2, but doesn't have the skill set for cover1, and anybody that didn't see that this season wasn't paying attention to him.

Jan Reimers
01-01-2014, 07:01 AM

And you Bozo Bills Fans are not worth a playoff team. Ever.

pmoon6
01-01-2014, 07:07 AM
And you Bozo Bills Fans are not worth a playoff team. Ever.I say the same thing, but it's to the crybaby *****es that piss and moan everyday about the state of the team.

I suggest testosterone replacement therapy or maybe they can just transplant some new testicles on ya.

Novacane
01-01-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm tired of people saying us that don't want to pay Byrd 9 mill per or didn't want to pay Levitre 8 mil per always are for running all our good players out of town. I'm all for keeping and even overpaying our own if they play vital positions. Safety and guard are not those.

Mouldsie
01-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Did you just make that statement up or can you actually prove it?
It was on a CBS broadcast

Historian
01-02-2014, 06:32 AM
Where did Revis get the Bucs? Where did Paul Kruger get the Browns? Where did Mario get the Bills? Where did Wallace get the Dolphins? Where did Elvis Dumervil get the Ravens? Where did Greg Jennings get the Vikings? Where did Jake Long get the Rams?

I think you make a wider point, Pink, and this is why I don't like free agency in football.

It's too much of a team game, and there are too many different systems being run, to make the addition a pro-bowler help your team, at least in the short term.

Sure, there are instances. But in general, I don't think the player helps much, really through no fault of his own.

If a guy hits .300 in baseball, chances are pretty good he's going to do that no matter what city he plays in.

I think football is different. it takes more time to learn the system, and have an effect, ala Mario Williams.