PDA

View Full Version : Is it an open competition between EJ and Thad now?

Novacane
12-29-2013, 07:01 PM
It should be! Thad is just as inexperienced as Ej and looks way more poised in the pocket. He played well today in **** weather. Big drops hurt him too. EJ hasn't earned anything!

Thurmal
12-29-2013, 07:02 PM
They both suck.

BillsFever21
12-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Lewis isn't the answer. Unless Manuel is injured again or totally blows next year then you won't see Lewis on the field. Especially not after putting a 1st round pick in him. They will give him another year to see what he has.

Mace
12-29-2013, 07:08 PM
They both suck.

Neither one of them is astounding, so add Tuel, Kolb, Dixon and Chuckie Keeton from Utah State into the mix. This is going to be a cage match QB competition of bad QB's and you know Jacoby Brissett from NC State is going to be in there.

Thurmal
12-29-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd honestly start Kolb next year if they aren't going to bring anyone else in.

Albany,n.y.
12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
If you think there should be an open competition between Lewis & Manuel, what you're really saying is the Bills need a QB & neither one is the answer. Lewis is strictly backup material. If EJ and him are close, it means EJ's backup material too & we must do better than both of them. If on the other hand, you think EJ is much better or will be by next year, then there is no competition & you give EJ one more year.

lightningbolt444
12-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Thad looked pretty bad today other than a few throws. I dont think EJ or Thad has a leg up on the other at this point.

The King
12-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Marrone will let them compete he won't crown anyone

RedEyE
12-29-2013, 07:16 PM
If a competition does exist then one of them needs to get their head out of their ass and start playing football. Thad churns like a poor man's Fittzpatrick - all heart and no consistency. EJ seems to play entirely too conservative almost fearful at times like he doesn't trust himself. That and his durability has to be question mark. 3 knee injuries in one season? Who does that?

I still say this is EJs team to lose but his time is growing short. If he wows in training camp next season only to bust out of the gates slow he is going to quickly lose the patience of the coaching staff.

coastal
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Please... EJ is their guy.

they drafted him. They're going to invest in the oline and perhaps WR or TE.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
If one of them wins, we lose.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Thad looked pretty bad today other than a few throws. I dont think EJ or Thad has a leg up on the other at this point.

Brady didn't look all that good except when he was throwing to Edelman. That said I think Thad proved today he is an average backup QB which is all we should really expect from him to be. Again people that are claiming Thad is better than EJ, it's expected he's been toiling around in the NFL since 2010. EJ's a rookie and offers a whole lot more upside and that's why he's our starter. Just give this offense some better receiving options (thanks to TJ and Chandler and their drops today for making my point) and we might be in the Wild Card discussion next season as long as the D also improves.

more cowbell
12-29-2013, 08:22 PM
I hope not. Both are not NFL caliber starters. End of discussion.

The Beef
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Thad looked pretty bad today other than a few throws.

No he didn't. The gameplay was ultra conservative in the first half.

He he got killed by two big drops by Chandler and Graham. He had multiple chunk yardage plays today.

The ru. Defense looked bad today. The kick coverage unit was horrible.

Thad was above average in absolutely terrible weather.

It is sad to say he's the best QB on the roster right now, but it's true.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2013, 08:29 PM
I should hope not. Thad looked crappy today

- - - Updated - - -

No he didn't. The gameplay was ultra conservative in the first half.

He he got killed by two big drops by Chandler and Graham. He had multiple chunk yardage plays today.

The ru. Defense looked bad today. The kick coverage unit was horrible.

Thad was above average in absolutely terrible weather.

It is sad to say he's the best QB on the roster right now, but it's true.
No he did look crappy

black N yellow
12-29-2013, 08:34 PM
i dont understand why anyone thinks a rookie QB would get only one season..or in this case, less than a whole season due to injury..to prove what they're worth.

The Beef
12-29-2013, 08:37 PM
- - - Updated - - -

No he did look crappy

Did you watch the game? Thad didn't play defense or special teams.

He had deep throws to Woods and Graham that were nice. The TD to Graham was a great play keeping the play alive and his eyes up. He executed the screen game nicely as well and even had Freddy drop an easy one I what would've been a likely first down.

He had 3 drives killed, 2 by drops by Graham and one where the Oline got destroyed on a QB sneak.

In what league is 8.5 yards an attempt crappy?

The offense was well balanced and effective, especially in the 2nd half. If the kickoff return team could've held Blount to under 70 yards a kick return maybe I'd have an easier time believing 'Thad played like crap'.

alohabillsfan
12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
I will bet cold hard cash that if EJ starts and plays all 16 games the bills will not make the playoffs, the guy has no ceiling he has reached it! Of course some will complain about the line or wr or te but in the end he just isn't an nfl caliber QB.

coastal
12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
If rather build an offense around Thad than EJ

alohabillsfan
12-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Yea, let's go into next season with two qb's that are as accurate as scud missiles!

WagonCircler
12-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Yea, let's go into next season with two qb's that are as accurate as scud missiles!

Not only are they both HORRIBLY inaccurate, they also both have an absolutely moronic compulsion to carry the ball like like Wonder Bread when they're running with it.

If Thad doesn't fumble early on, this might have been a different game.

We have two horrible QBs on our roster, and knowing these geniuses, the exact same situation will exist in late July.

Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth. Drafting ninth.

The Beef
12-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Again sad but true at this point.

There was not a flurry of 3 and outs today despite terrible weather.

I do like EJ but as much as it pans me to say, when Todd McShay said 'slow eyes' he was hit the nail in the head. I'll give a rookie time and I'm sure we will see EJ the undisputed starter barring injury. He needs a lot of work.

Thad is a game manager who is willing to take a shot. He isn't a gun slinger like Fitz. He takes his shots but they are usually vertical shots. Not WTF was that into triple coverage on a 10 yard dig route.

Thad profiles well as a back up QB. He had good games vs Cinci and New England. He managed two wins in the division vs Miami. He takes a beating and a few too many sacks, but the offense looks halfway competent when he's in.

I really do hope a light turns on for EJ and he becomes a machine reading his progressions. Nothing would make me happier. The unfortunate thing is our fan base should know bad QB play when they see it. IMO we saw it more often than not when EJ was under center.

The Jokeman
12-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Again sad but true at this point.

There was not a flurry of 3 and outs today despite terrible weather.

I do like EJ but as much as it pans me to say, when Todd McShay said 'slow eyes' he was hit the nail in the head. I'll give a rookie time and I'm sure we will see EJ the undisputed starter barring injury. He needs a lot of work.

Thad is a game manager who is willing to take a shot. He isn't a gun slinger like Fitz. He takes his shots but they are usually vertical shots. Not WTF was that into triple coverage on a 10 yard dig route.

Thad profiles well as a back up QB. He had good games vs Cinci and New England. He managed two wins in the division vs Miami. He takes a beating and a few too many sacks, but the offense looks halfway competent when he's in.

I really do hope a light turns on for EJ and he becomes a machine reading his progressions. Nothing would make me happier. The unfortunate thing is our fan base should know bad QB play when they see it. IMO we saw it more often than not when EJ was under center.

and yet on in the odd stat department scored 24.11 points per game on average with EJ at QB and only 17.17 with Thad at QB and 17.00 with Tuehl at QB.

BillsFever21
12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
i dont understand why anyone thinks a rookie QB would get only one season..or in this case, less than a whole season due to injury..to prove what they're worth.

I agree to a point but sometimes guys look so bad that the team knows after just one season. Guys like Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn come to mind as recent examples. The Panthers weren't passing on Newton just because they drafted Clausen in the 2nd round. There are others.

I don't think EJ falls into that category even though he looked more like Trent Edwards. You expect the QB to make some plays on a regular basis whether they are a rookie or not. Experience has nothing to do with not being able to hit a target 15 yards down the field on a regular basis.

What I find amusing are that many of the same people that says you just have to give EJ time and one year isn't enough are many of the same people who laugh at Geno Smith and has already declared him as a bust and a horrible QB that should be replaced. That's definitely putting blinders on and using a double standard. Which I agree he probably will suck but don't use different criteria just because he plays with the Jets. If the teams they played for were reversed we would hear the complete opposite on them from many of the same people.

Even with how bad Smith has been at times with turnovers at least he has shown he can make some plays. The bad part is he has also made many horrible plays which makes him look awful. The Jets may have the worse skilled position players in the NFL around him too. That's not the case with Manuel. Who knows how many interceptions EJ would have if he actually attempted to throw down the field or in coverage.

Even after all of that Geno Smith won 8 games this season and could actually stay healthy unlike Manuel who injured his knees on 3 different occasions. Manuel was also only 4-6 in his starts so Smith even had a better record in his rookie season. Even after all that many of the same people already write off Smith yet they say it's too early on Manuel. Pure double standard because we made Manuel a 1st round pick and the Jets are in the same division.

Luisito23
12-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Please... EJ is their guy.

Doesn't really matter though, cause they'll all be gone in 2 years and the cycle will continue.

Saratoga Slim
12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
You do have to give QBs some time to develop, but I think that after year one you should have a positive "feeling" that they deserve time. I have seen nothing from EJ this year that leaves me with a positive feeling that he's going to be our guy.

If they draft a QB at 9, I won't blame them at all.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 10:24 PM
You do have to give QBs some time to develop, but I think that after year one you should have a positive "feeling" that they deserve time. I have seen nothing from EJ this year that leaves me with a positive feeling that he's going to be our guy.

If they draft a QB at 9, I won't blame them at all.

We better draft one because we don't have one now.

The Beef
12-29-2013, 10:27 PM
and yet on in the odd stat department scored 24.11 points per game on average with EJ at QB and only 17.17 with Thad at QB and 17.00 with Tuehl at QB.

Fair point, but that doesn't tell the entire story.

The offense looked more effective with Thad and you can look at one stat to determine what it was, YPA. Thad was at 6.6 and EJ at 5.3.

7 is a good number, 8 is great and 9 is MVP status.

6.6 is passable, it is on par this season with Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, and Alex Smith.

5.3 puts EJ in the a company of Geno Smith, Cristian Ponder, and Terrelle Pryor. IMO EJ's ceiling is similar to Alex Smith. Which is OK, but it took awhile for Smith to reach his potential. Luckily for EJ he didn't have the train wreck season Smith he as a rookie, 1 TD and 11 INT's. Smith was average at best until SF got a top notch defense and great OLINE. Smith's situation was not most stable, but that had much to do with his average (at best) performance. It took Smith until year 6 to lead a playoff caliber team.

This current Bills team isn't 5-6 years away. There are some holes, but the biggest one is still QB.

I really hope EJ makes the leap but there is a lot of work to be done.

Skooby
12-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Fair point, but that doesn't tell the entire story.

The offense looked more effective with Thad and you can look at one stat to determine what it was, YPA. Thad was at 6.6 and EJ at 5.3.

7 is a good number, 8 is great and 9 is MVP status.

6.6 is passable, it is on par this season with Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, and Alex Smith.

5.3 puts EJ in the a company of Geno Smith, Cristian Ponder, and Terrelle Pryor. IMO EJ's ceiling is similar to Alex Smith. Which is OK, but it took awhile for Smith to reach his potential. Luckily for EJ he didn't have the train wreck season Smith he as a rookie, 1 TD and 11 INT's. Smith was average at best until SF got a top notch defense and great OLINE. Smith's situation was not most stable, but that had much to do with his average (at best) performance. It took Smith until year 6 to lead a playoff caliber team.

This current Bills team isn't 5-6 years away. There are some holes, but the biggest one is still QB.

I really hope EJ makes the leap but there is a lot of work to be done.

Should we base the hope for his improvement on his horrible footwork or inability to understand the play book ?

Mace
12-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Was just thinking, Thad Lewis is a better at being a bad QB than EJ is bad being a not good QB. I don't know what to make of it.

starrymessenger
12-29-2013, 11:28 PM
They both suck.

Yeah but i think Thad is the better back up.

Historian
12-30-2013, 04:35 AM
Odd that Thad can throw a perfect deep out, perhaps the toughest throw in all of football....but can't hit a running back with a screen.

The Beef
12-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Should we base the hope for his improvement on his horrible footwork or inability to understand the play book ?

I wouldn't. That's why I was countering the argument of 'the team scores more with EJ'. The offense looked smoother and more dynamic when Thad played.

EJ has the physical tools, that's what you hang your hat on. The footowork, reading of the defense and as Wagon would put it, balls, are what need work.

There is a lot of work to be done.

Cleve
12-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Neither guy is a long term solution to the Bills' continuing woes at the QB position.

It's like the argument/discussion on this forum about 4 years ago as to who was better - Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Brohm.... the correct answer to that old question - C.) - none of the above. LOL

Historian
12-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Can anybody tell me why the Bills, who have all young Quarterbacks on their roster, do not have a dedicated Quarterback's Coach?

Anybody?

coastal
12-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Can anybody tell me why the Bills, who have all young Quarterbacks on their roster, do not have a dedicated Quarterback's Coach?

Anybody?
Ralph is... you know.

DraftBoy
12-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Nope, they will say its open but its EJ's job to lose.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody?

That's what Hackett is there for.

The Jokeman
12-30-2013, 02:06 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That's what Hackett is there for.Ideally Hackett would be our QB coach and someone else would be OC. I've been saying it since the pre-season as to me you need two separate guys to best serve a QB.

pmoon6
12-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Odd that Thad can throw a perfect deep out, perhaps the toughest throw in all of football....but can't hit a running back with a screen.That bothers me as well.

Mace
12-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Anybody?

Startled me. Was sure you were wrong, looked it up. You weren't wrong. Vexes me. No clue.

Mace
12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
That bothers me as well.

Well he's Thad Lewis, practice squad enlistee starter guy. I don't think he's gotten the prime teaching in his short career.

Historian nailed it. They need a QB coach. What's Jim Kelly up to these days ?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Odd that Thad can throw a perfect deep out, perhaps the toughest throw in all of football....but can't hit a running back with a screen.

Meanwhile the other QB can't hit either of those throws.

YardRat
12-30-2013, 06:34 PM

Marrone laid that to rest pretty early today...EJ is the starter.

That's what Hackett is there for.

I'd rather they bring in a dedicated QB coach to work on mechanics.

DraftBoy
12-31-2013, 07:16 AM

So then what are you paying Hackett for, because he's not a dedicated OC with the way Marrone coaches.

Cleve
12-31-2013, 08:47 AM
So then what are you paying Hackett for, because he's not a dedicated OC with the way Marrone coaches.

Whatever they're paying him/them for, it certainly isn't for building a winning team or generating a winning record! Ten straight years of sub 0.500 record and counting. LOL

Beebe's Kid
12-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Marrone laid that to rest pretty early today...EJ is the starter.

He just needs to work on his footwork.

EJ is their horse if he never wins a race.

The first thing to do when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging. But I'm sure he'll progress...it is just other teams' QBs, like Geno that won't, because everything is always just about to turn around in Buffalo. Remember Manning's first season...even though EJ has never, and will never be Peyton Manning.

If EJ is able to work on that footwork, he may turn into an average QB, which in my opinion is enough to win if you have enough weapons around him, but when you turn on every top-tiered player you have because they want paid, it will never be enough.

THATHURMANATOR
01-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Then cut them both and get me a championship QB. Why waste time?